Super Squats

Sybersnott

I like to read (or should I say read & re-read) Super Squats.

What are your thoughts on the book AND the program itself? I often go to other forums and try and educate those about the 20 rep squat program. The ultimate basic for strength and mass!! :happy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sybersnott

• DannyGrip

• hamil1km

• The Natural

I like to read (or should I say read & re-read) Super Squats.

What are your thoughts on the book AND the program itself? I often go to other forums and try and educate those about the 20 rep squat program. The ultimate basic for strength and mass!! :happy

If memory serves me, he recommends doing them every three days, and states that any lingering soreness from the previous squat workout can be worked out when doing the squats. I've always found that, done properly, a set of 20 rep squats takes a good bit longer than that to recover from fully, and that it is not a good idea to do them if you're still sore (even a little bit) from the previous workout. Other than that, some good advice.

-Rex

Why so much milk? Theres a thing called protein powder....

Otherwise 20 reps of deads or squats done prop will turn up the heat seriously

Otherwise 20 reps of deads or squats done prop will turn up the heat seriously

Prolly for the hormones they feed the cows....

I have used that program this year actually and I found that the soreness went away during the squats about 8-10 reps into it then it was just the pain. Felt great. Although I enjoyed it i felt it only helped my muscluar endurance cause i jumped back into a powerlifting routine and was weak.

Well, back then, that WAS their protein powder. But I'm with you on this one... there are better and cheaper and easier means for protein intake than sluggin' down lots of milk.

I personally love milk and sometimes I will get a quart of milk for lunch to wash down my food for some extra calories and protein.

I personally love milk and sometimes I will get a quart of milk for lunch to wash down my food for some extra calories and protein.

O.K., Mister Milkman - slug down a gallon of milk a day EVERYDAY! Betcha you'll change your tune... ;):laugh

Someone want to explain the science behind the 20 rep squats routine? I've read so much bout it working and so many recommend I'm just curious as to why it is so good at building mass/strength?

The program with squatting 3 times per week with that much intensity will overtrain most quickly. The concept is good, just not the execution volume if you ask me.

A think a better hybrid would be twice a week.

What you do is do a neuro double or triple 50lbs or more above that 20 rep weight for that other squat workout. One set only.

This helps trick the body for that next 20 repper. The double or triple by the way should be clean and without any grinding. Just be sure it's well above the 20 rep weight.

The program with squatting 3 times per week with that much intensity will overtrain most quickly. The concept is good, just not the execution volume if you ask me.

A think a better hybrid would be twice a week.

What you do is do a neuro double or triple 50lbs or more above that 20 rep weight for that other squat workout. One set only.

This helps trick the body for that next 20 repper. The double or triple by the way should be clean and without any grinding. Just be sure it's well above the 20 rep weight.

I'll have to try this. Thanks Bill!

Those 20 reppers can burn you out quick if you aren't careful.

Another trick that's not new is that before you do your 20 rep set, do a explosive single or double with 50 or more above the 20 rep weight. Again, not a max but up there above your 20 rep weight to get the neuro system stimulated. Then, drop down and do your 20 rep set.

Another trick that's not new is that before you do your 20 rep set, do a explosive single or double with 50 or more above the 20 rep weight. Again, not a max but up there above your 20 rep weight to get the neuro system stimulated. Then, drop down and do your 20 rep set.

Would these work for getting it stimulated for a grip workout? I'm thinking precontest, since most seem to have a squat rack onsite.

Would these work for getting it stimulated for a grip workout? I'm thinking precontest, since most seem to have a squat rack onsite.

You mean squats to get stimulated for grip?

you're using rest/pause technique with a working set of 10(not a 10rm) to squeeze out 20 reps with the weight on your back the whole time. In my opinion beginners can get decent gains on this program but I dont think it's effective or practical for more advanced lifters. It's akin to Smolov in its brutality on the body. I personally thing that a westside approach, some basic undulating volume approach, anything in that light would be superior in the long term. It's just one of those routines that can get the beginner to achieve quick short term gains which look very impressive... However this routine is not very effective for big squatters or more experienced lifters.

Durniat and myself headed to the squat rack before the first event of the GGC began.

-Rex

O.K., Mister Milkman - slug down a gallon of milk a day EVERYDAY! Betcha you'll change your tune... ;):laugh

I wish I could but I have to drink so much water that I think I would burst!!!

I've had success from a few separate stints on twenty rep squats in the past, and just started a similar workout cycle with deadlifts after a short leave due to injury. I believe that it's a good way to shake your workout up if you feel like you're in a rut, and I'm hoping to make some solid gains in a relatively short time before I go back to (what would be considered to be) a more conventional routine

• 3 months later...

Q to the panel: Has anyone come across, in the book, where it tells you to take your "10 rep max" and crank out 20 reps with it?

Someone somewhere started this rumor and now everyone thinks that this is what you're supposed to do! Some joker wrote an article about it somewhere and now everybody believes this to be true. It's not.

It would be impossible to beat out 20 reps on your 10 rep max! Thoughts please...

Q to the panel: Has anyone come across, in the book, where it tells you to take your "10 rep max" and crank out 20 reps with it?

Someone somewhere started this rumor and now everyone thinks that this is what you're supposed to do! Some joker wrote an article about it somewhere and now everybody believes this to be true. It's not.

It would be impossible to beat out 20 reps on your 10 rep max! Thoughts please...

Maybe at the end of a 4-6 week cycle. Start at 50% for work out 1 back off 5# for the next two workouts. Following week Start from 50% plus 5-10#. Or Perhaps beating the 10 rep max for 20 might take a few cycles.

I think the idea is to take a weight you can squat for 10 continous reps and grind out 20 rest pause style. This will hit your lungs as hard as your legs.

Ive been using this program for about a year now. I do only one set per week. When i started I was using 175. Im now up to 255 for twenty. Every week I do as many reps as i can, If i get 25 or more i move up five pounds the next week. And now none of my jeans fit. lol... :rock

Ive been using this program for about a year now. I do only one set per week. When i started I was using 175. Im now up to 255 for twenty. Every week I do as many reps as i can, If i get 25 or more i move up five pounds the next week. And now none of my jeans fit. lol... :rock

THats awesome James 175 to 255, great improvement right there with the 20Rep Squats man!