worked up to

690 (555) x 180deg

760 (608) x 225deg

Banded Deadlift

+ short red mini bands on "pegs", ~ +60 lbs at top, 32" stretch

w/u doubles 135, 225, 315, 365, 405, 455

1 x 495 - DO, well just about locked it out

2 x 495 - straps from here

cluster 545 x 5 x 2 x 2 - 20s rest. bounced.

hard to compare to what I've done lately because of the different setup, but this was pretty good for me I think

Cable Ab Pulldown

2 x 8 x 140

Ab Wheel

2 x 10 x BW

Stretch

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• easyWeight

• Matt Brouse

• carusom1

• jwdeff

Guest drfish

6/17/10 - Thurs

jump rope. ss.

Cable Face Pull

neutral grip

20 x 80

20 x 90

20 x 100

Reverse Rows

4 x 8 x BW - 1 set was +45

Banded Dumbell Bench

black monster mini

3 x 6 x 110

Keg Toss

over the 17' bar

triples

for distance

Edited by drfish

Guest drfish

6/22/10 - Tues

couldn't make it in last night

jumprope. ss.

Log 13"

c&p all

w/u

1 x 6 x 140

1 x 3 x 160

3 x 3 x 180

Front Squat

clean and jerk first rep, then squat

3 x 3 x 135

2 x 3 x 185

Pullups

3 x 4 x BW

Rower Tabata 2 x 2min. 534m, 531m.

Treadmill 10min.

Stretch

Guest drfish

6/23/10 - Wed

dyn w/u

Keg Toss

3 x 3

Quick Stretch

6/24/10 - Thur

Rower Tabata 2 x 2min - 539m, 548m

Treadmill 20min walk

Stretch

It's wierd not having to cut weight for a contest.

Guest drfish

6/26/10 - Sat - MN State Championships, Sauk Rapids

Farmer's Walk

225 x 120' w/ turn

Was supposed to be 250 for 160'. My turn was ok, but I just wasn't moving real fast, even with this relatively light weight. I probably deserved this though, because when I did train farmer's, I didn't train them hard. Should've trained like James and Collin, as it paid off for them. The only thing they didn't train is smashing the tanks through a table :mosher (that sucks there wasn't more room, James)

21.xx s - 4th place

Conan's Wheel

I worked up to about 608 actual weight in training. As soon as I picked this I could tell it was way lighter. I went a little over 2.5 laps, which was exactly 2 laps more than I ever went in training. Happy about this. 1st place was about 210', 2nd place was 203'.

201' - 3rd place and 3rd overall.

13" Log

236 c&p each

I got 5 reps in training with 230. After I watched my video I could tell I didn't use any of the mental cues that were working for me over the last month. That pretty much did me in. I just need to get stronger, better, and smarter about log pressing.

2 reps - 4th or 5th place and 4th overall

Pony Keg Toss

5 kegs 17' bar

What can I say, I just blew it. Had to re-throw 3 kegs, so I made it an 8 keg toss. Since this is the easiest strongman event ever, it sucks to do poorly at it.

38.xx s - 6th place - dropped to 5th overall

Car Deadlift

590 - 60s time limit

I was expecting a little heavier weight, and that's how I trained. Still, felt good about this. No bouncing was allowed, and the weight didn’t kick in until right below the knee. The first 3 guys in my class got 0s, so I was setting the bar. Did 9 in 30s, rested for 12s, then 4 more and time was up. Pretty happy about this because it was my first car DL, and the pull is quite a bit different that a normal bar.

13 reps - 1st place (tie)

Didn't get to see the score sheet at the end so I don't know if I got 4th or 5th place.

During the contest Jeff was interviewing some dude and he was talking about mental toughness. When I heard this I, of course, wished they would just shut up, but later it did make me think about myself. There were guys out there that were grinding it out on the conan's, and other events. I'm pretty sure I didn't go as hard as them on the conan's or farmer's, or even the dead. And that's not acceptable during a contest. I've been purposefully not trying to kill myself every gym session, and I think that carried over to quitting just a touch early in the contest events. That'll be fixed for next time.

Your turn looked good on the farmers, tough implements. Give yourself some credit, you really grinded out the conan's and deadlift, awesome! Keep working on the overhead, it will start to come. Time to move onto the next one, look forward to making progress along side you.

Oh, I was thinking about our bet. Maybe we should change it to a race, which might motivate us to actually do it. Although, I think we should up it to 700 & 800 (anything goes)...

James- you want in at 600?

Guest drfish

Your turn looked good on the farmers, tough implements. Give yourself some credit, you really grinded out the conan's and deadlift, awesome! Keep working on the overhead, it will start to come. Time to move onto the next one, look forward to making progress along side you.

Thanks Mike!

Oh, I was thinking about our bet. Maybe we should change it to a race, which might motivate us to actually do it. Although, I think we should up it to 700 & 800 (anything goes)...

James- you want in at 600?

Yes, I am down with making it a race. And yes, I'll go for 700. I was going to inflict nonconsensual offensive physical contact to 675 pretty soon anyway.

Wasn't Collin in at 575 as well?

BTW, *when* I win... :D:flame I'll use the money to buy a some cool strongman/training stuff, whatever that may be.

Edited by drfish

(anything goes)...

I'm going to do mine team-lift off an 18" box.

BTW, *when* I win... :D:flame I'll use the money to buy a some cool strongman/training stuff, whatever that may be.

When I win I'm going to use it to buy a Vuvuzela to play whenever you guys are going for a max attempt or warming up or walking to your cars.

I think it's cheating buying stuff for the group with your prize money. That would disincentivize (made up word) the race for the rest of us. Buy something that the rest of us would hate for you to have, like the Twilight series on blu-ray, or give a campaign contribution to Michele Bachmann.

Dude, your deadlifting was sick and no one can argue with a massive Conans PR! Very nice.

I'll enter this deadlift race at 550.

Do you have a 1/2 tone or 3/4 ton truck?

Dude, your deadlifting was sick and no one can argue with a massive Conans PR! Very nice.

I'll enter this deadlift race at 550.

Do you have a 1/2 tone or 3/4 ton truck?

$50

This should be incentive to make it happen as quickly as possible. You're capable of this, just need a tweak or two.

Guest drfish

I think it's cheating buying stuff for the group with your prize money. That would disincentivize (made up word) the race for the rest of us.

I never said I would share it. :tongue

Collin, it's a 1/2 ton, and if I remember right I scaled it at about 5800 lbs when I was in it.

Guest drfish

6/28/10 - Mon

jumprope. ss.

Log 13"

push jerks on the heavier sets

w/u 90, 140

3 x 180

2 x 200

1 x 230

1 x 240 - missed 1st and 3rd. would've locked out the 1st, but was just about to pass out

9 x 1 x 240 - kinda a fake pr, but I need to teach myself a lesson

used a belt on last 5

Banded Dumbell Bench / Dead Hang Pullups

black monster mini around back

9 x 100 / 6

9 x 100 / 6

7 x 100 / 6

Cable Face Pull / Dumbell Rev Fly / Dip Shrugs

2 x 15 x 100 / 2 x 10 x 30 / 2 x 20

Truck Push

Dodge 1500

3 x 100'

Yes! Someone got the truck push flu and it wasn't me. :mosher I like it.

Good deload day after MN. lol, obviously not, but going to chicago next week so deloading will have to wait.

After every set, even the light assistance, I got light headed and sometimes felt close to passing out. Strange, hopefully that goes away.

Good job this weekend Kelly! It was great seeing you guys!

James said he's in at 615.

Kelly 700

Mike 800 (previous best is 728; 72lbs to go)

Collin 550

James 615

list your previous best:

I would ask Brouse to join in but he's probably way to big a pusse, and it would pretty much guarantee he would be throwing his money away :kiss

I'm guessing all of us are anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months away from our goal weights, really don't know...

Whatever you want from a standard deadlift height. Anything goes doesn't mean hydraulics and wizardry ...James. We'll just say that strongman rules apply (i.e., whatever you think you would see in a strongman contest for a max standard barbell is what we'll go by).

Have one other person in the bet there to verify a good lift, not that any of us would cheat each other but it is $200! :inno

Good luck!

list your previous best:

I might go sumo...

Do they allow sumo in strongman?

NO

Guest drfish

list your previous best:

I might go sumo...

Do they allow sumo in strongman?

NO

Don't make me get persnickety with you, James.

My previous best is 660.

Come on Brousey, join us for some good clean fun!

Edited by drfish

Guest drfish

6/30/10 - Wed

dyn w/u

Deficit Deadlift

off 25 lb bumpers. no straps today, trying this strange technique known as alternate grip

w/u 135, 225, 275, 315, 365, 405

2 x 455

2 x 495 - 1st rep DO! ties my PR.

1 x 545

1 x 565

my previous PR is from waaay back, like back when I was in Nam

18" Deadlift

off 3 45 lb bumbers

4 x 405

4 x 495

4 x 565

5 x 615

4 x 635

Standing Cable Abz

3 sets

up to 8 x 150

Ab Wheel / Chest Supp Row

2 x 12 / 2 x 15 x 135

Stretch

I'm fatigued.

Guest drfish

7/2/10 - Fri

jumprope. ss.

Clean and Jerk

w/u

3 x 225

2 x 245

Power Snatch

2 x 2 x 135

Standing Strict Press

+ red bands

3 x 5 x 95

2 x 5 x 115

Stretch

• 2 weeks later...
Guest drfish

7/4 - 7/11 - sick, laid in bed, last 2 days in hospital

7/12/10 - Mon

just light stuff to get back into it, back is sore from 2 spinal taps, and I feel tired and weak

Deads

some sets with 135

Clean and Jerk

some sets of 3 and 5

Guest drfish

7/17/10 - Sat

Front Squat

135, 185

3 x 225

3 x 275

1 x 295

1 x 315

1 x 335

8 x 225

been a long time since I've front squatted heavy, or really done any time of squatting.

Pullups

3 x 8 x BW

Cable Face Pull

neutral grip

3 x 20 x 80

Farmer's Holds

20s x 265

30s x 265

cluster 20s, 20s, 25s x 215 - 20s rest

Yoke

50' w/u runs

80' x 600 ~15.x s

Stretch

BW down to 268.

Nice job today, glad you're feeling better!

Edited by carusom1