Please Explain This Because I Do Not Understand

AdamTGlass

I am wondering why is there only 42 people on the Red nail roster, even though there are more than 42 people here saying they are bending bastards or stronger bars?

I have been wondering this all day, i was on the IM page and it struck me, and it does not make much sense.

So whats up with that?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vikingsrule92

• justiceislost1988

• matthcarl

• AdamTGlass

Top Posters In This Topic

I can easily bend a bastard in leather...not in IM pads, though.

Mostly because people arn't acostume to the ironmind pads. If you've only bent with leather changing to IMP makes a big differance. For me personaly it doesn't make all that big of a difference, but that is because I've bent alot with IMP.

What I am wondering though is that why arn't more people who've bent a bastard or higher training with IMP for the purpose of certing?

Mostly because people arn't acostume to the ironmind pads. If you've only bent with leather changing to IMP makes a big differance. For me personaly it doesn't make all that big of a difference, but that is because I've bent alot with IMP.

What I am wondering though is that why arn't more people who've bent a bastard or higher training with IMP for the purpose of certing?

Exactly David- Who cares if some one can bend a 6" Hex if they can not pass the IM cert--which has been the golden standard for so long.

ironmind pads are a bitch, i had to take a few months off of any type of bending training, because using ironmind pads to train for my cert bruised my palms/thumb pad badly

Exactly David- Who cares if some one can bend a 6" Hex if they can not pass the IM cert--which has been the golden standard for so long.

I can understand and agree to the argument that different people have different goals. But surely an IM cert has to be on most peoples bending goals.

i, for one, constantly switch my goals and have never concentrated on certing with IronMind (or for a long enough period of time). and if you are wondering, yes, i can bend the red in the IM pads well within the minute marker.

Am I the target of this comment? :D i personally don't care excessively about IMs Red Nail roster, if I really wanted to cert, I'd train a lot for it. Right now I really don't care about it and I think some people just don't have the desire to train with IM pads (or is that just me? :D). Otherwise it takes A LOT more torque with your wrists to get a Red in IM pads, it's not just a pain tolerance issue, yet another reason why fewer have certed there.

Am I the target of this comment? :D i personally don't care excessively about IMs Red Nail roster, if I really wanted to cert, I'd train a lot for it. Right now I really don't care about it and I think some people just don't have the desire to train with IM pads (or is that just me? :D). Otherwise it takes A LOT more torque with your wrists to get a Red in IM pads, it's not just a pain tolerance issue, yet another reason why fewer have certed there.

I bet though that with your current strength. All you need is a few workouts, getting the feel for IMP and you'll nail it easy

I think the time limit comes into play as well. The IM Red Nail cert has to be done in 1 minute - the FBBC Bastard cert you can take up to 5 minutes. Pads always seem to be an issue. Less padding + less time = less certs.

Adam, do you advocate training specifically with thin pads and not moving up until you an get bigger steel with IM pads? It is probably obvious, but my training has always been to bend as big steel as possible in whatever pads and work my way down. I really do not have an opinion as to which method is better.

LOL no Derek you are not. This is something i am wondering though now that we are all rolling with this- a few people sent me some emails this evening which has spured some additional thoughts.

Two people are mad at me over some leather wraps i sent them, because they thought the wraps would be big and fat and thick. I sell wraps that are fairly thin, a lot of people here own a set from me, they will tell you they make some what of a difference, but not a huge one.

so i am reading a message on how my wraps "suck" because this individual is a "hex bender" and my wraps are "useless" because he can not bend anything with them

now this makes me laugh, and kind of sad too- because it reminds me of some power lifters i am buddies with. Some PL claim a 500lbs bench, but miss 425 raw-so what do they bench? Now i am not even trying to open THAT can of worms here on GB- but it is a question i want to know now

--So how many bastard benders in leather can bend a red in IM pads? If there are a lot, I would like to see them on the red nail roster BECAUSE THAT IS HOW WE WILL GROW AS GRIP SPORT!

People think this is something no one does- that list grows, more people jump on board--same thing that happened to the COC and grip sport as a whole

so thats my thing

Edited by SSGGLASS

I think the time limit comes into play as well. The IM Red Nail cert has to be done in 1 minute - the FBBC Bastard cert you can take up to 5 minutes. Pads always seem to be an issue. Less padding + less time = less certs.

Even so, I did my bastard cert in 45 seconds (with double pads) and barely wobble a red in IM pads.

I bet though that with your current strength. All you need is a few workouts, getting the feel for IMP and you'll nail it easy

I'm aware of that (no cockiness intended), BUT, last time I tried to train a lot in one workout (4 bends I think?) with small pads I messed up my ring finger tendon and I couldn't use the pistol grip any more because it hurt too bad. I'll try to train for it again, but I'm not going to push too much.

Matt, I'll tell you what Ben told me, use both small pads and big pads and try to get bigger steel with Both. Then work your way to the Im cert

Also to piggy back on this point-i added some thoughts on braced bending to the training blog today. thats my house so i can say what i say there. My big point is i want to see more people involved in this whole big thing, but i want them to do it right.

Matt, I'll tell you what Ben told me, use both small pads and big pads and try to get bigger steel with Both. Then work your way to the Im cert

What? Not watching my videos :D This is exactly what I do, switching back and forth. I was just wondering about Adam's opinion. The post about thin leather pretty much answered it, though.

Yes don't forget that Matt is not only bending bigger steel with leather. He is also my next pick for the IM cert. They way he is progressing with IMP. :rock

And I stick with my pick, because Matt is exactly at the same spot I was just a week or so before I could bend the red in IMP. Off course there are a lot of others that could do it. I just don't see any other trying

Edited by David_wigren

Yes don't forget that Matt is not only bending bigger steel with leather. He is also my next pick for the IM cert. They way he is progressing with IMP. :rock

And I stick with my pick, because Matt is exactly at the same spot I was just a week or so before I could bend the red in IMP. Off course there are a lot of others that could do it. I just don't see any other trying

You will embarrass me :blush But I do have some hope for myself.

So my question is if someone can bend a IM Red in IM pad's within the rule's does that make the a better bender than somone that can bend a Grand Shiny in double pad's within the rule's of Fat Bastard Barbell Co. Or does this mean that one can take more pain or one is stronger or vis vera I am new to this so please help me understand. I do my bend's under the rule's that were given to me I don't cheat or try to scam I try to play by the rule's. I have been using 4x8 suede thin and Fat bastard leather over the top lately does this make me a candy azz or what. What is considered a good bend with what pad's if you can't do a RED in IM pad's do your cert's mean nothing just asking.

Edited by big nasty

So my question is if someone can bend a IM Red in IM pad's within the rule's does that make the a better bender than somone that can bend a Grand Shiny in double pad's within the rule's of Fat Bastard Barbell Co. Or does this mean that one can take more pain or one is stronger or vis vera I am new to this so please help me understand. I do my bend's under the rule's that were given to me I don't cheat or try to scam I try to play by the rule's. I have been using 4x8 suede thin and Fat bastard leather over the top lately does this make me a candy azz or what. What is considered a good bend with what pad's if you can't do a RED in IM pad's do your cert's mean nothing just asking.

No, not even slightly. It definitely involves a lot more strength to bend a grand SHiny in "fat pads" then a red in IM pads.You're not a candy ass, your certs do mean something, and bending is not designed to be a test of pain tolerance it's supposed to be a test of strength. Some people *cough, cough* will tell you it's cheating or whatever to use double wraps but whatever, it's not against the rules. Now that that's over let's make this a civilized thread and no one get in a fight over pads, ok thanks.

No, not even slightly. It definitely involves a lot more strength to bend a grand SHiny in "fat pads" then a red in IM pads.You're not a candy ass, your certs do mean something, and bending is not designed to be a test of pain tolerance it's supposed to be a test of strength. Some people *cough, cough* will tell you it's cheating or whatever to use double wraps but whatever, it's not against the rules. Now that that's over let's make this a civilized thread and no one get in a fight over pads, ok thanks.

I not mad Derek like I have said I just don't know any better it take's alot more than this to get me mad. I am just asking question's brother. :D

I not mad Derek like I have said I just don't know any better it take's alot more than this to get me mad. I am just asking question's brother. :D

haha dude no worries I wasn't saying you were mad. I was trying to help you out, sorry if it sounded any different. Just trying to avoid fights and thread closures brother. ;)

this thread is further proof we have to establish a criteria for wraps

Oh boy, years of arguing over this have solidified the criteria as "whatever you want." If you want to use thin pads, there is David's list and the IM RED list, if you prefer anything for padding, there is FBBC. I will leave it at that.

I have to agree though, all the guys who can cert on the red are MUCH stronger overall benders than those who cannot BUT that does not mean that someone bending Grands or Shinys in double wraps is weaker. People who have been in this argument before know this. If you were to give Gazza thick wraps and pit him against other guys, he'd still win. If you were to pit me against Ben Edwards, him using paper wraps and me using double wraps, he'd still win. All things being equal the better bender wins, bottom line.

I personally wanted to get to bastard level and then work up with thin pads, that is what I am doing now BUT I still do stuff with double wraps so I can help my crushdown along because I have a powerful kink. Both double and thin wraps have their place despite anyone's objections. I do think that more RED certs would bring more people here and get more people into bending but so does posting all of these vids on YouTube. There is no "end all" that will raise grip from obscrurity, the strength community as a whole needs to be enlightened as to the benefits of grip and bending.

I should add that people want bigger steel to fall faster. It's very inticing. Heck, I wobbled a bastard in thin pads before I bought my first outer wraps and once I used them, my first bastard attempt netted me a little past 90. I've been working with them ever since. People who work up strictly in thin pads get discouraged easily because a 5.5" G5 is hard to bend and they look on here or on YouTube and see all the bastards and higher being bent and want a part of the action. All the experienced guys know, though, that training in thin wraps has HUGE advantages in the long term.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

this thread is further proof we have to establish a criteria for wraps

Oh boy, years of arguing over this have solidified the criteria as "whatever you want." If you want to use thin pads, there is David's list and the IM RED list, if you prefer anything for padding, there is FBBC. I will leave it at that.

I have to agree though, all the guys who can cert on the red are MUCH stronger overall benders than those who cannot BUT that does not mean that someone bending Grands or Shinys in double wraps is weaker. People who have been in this argument before know this. If you were to give Gazza thick wraps and pit him against other guys, he'd still win. If you were to pit me against Ben Edwards, him using paper wraps and me using double wraps, he'd still win. All things being equal the better bender wins, bottom line.

I personally wanted to get to bastard level and then work up with thin pads, that is what I am doing now BUT I still do stuff with double wraps so I can help my crushdown along because I have a powerful kink. Both double and thin wraps have their place despite anyone's objections. I do think that more RED certs would bring more people here and get more people into bending but so does posting all of these vids on YouTube. There is no "end all" that will raise grip from obscrurity, the strength community as a whole needs to be enlightened as to the benefits of grip and bending.

VERY well put Zach!! Now, can we PLEASE not get this thread clsoed from a wraps arguement? Please!