Theo Burrgraff 186.5kg/411lbs Vertical Bar Lift!

Nick McKinless

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• David Horne

• mobsterone

• Mike Betty

Top Posters In This Topic

David,

I am not trying to be mean really I simply just strongly suspect that it is easier to pull WR's in this type of consensed competition and therefore not fully comparable to a competition like the GGC which takes much longer. The length of a contest means that it is harder to stay focused. You will all look silly if Theo pulls much less in May, proving me right, so why don't you all hold back a little with your emotional outbursts.

Theo's lifts were worth my petrol coming down from Stafford! :mosher

They were never going to be world records as we knew before the discs were not calibrated, and well that's fair enough.

But I did offer to bring my calibrated plates down, but then the lifts still wouldn't count in Mikael's list. And well that's all this is, is a list by one person, because with no governing body anybody could type up a list. A governing body was always the way to go, what sports don't have a governing body? As Thorsten answered = Grip! :tongue

Anyway, I cannot see how the pressure of a supermatch is not more than a little local contest, where all bar one competitor is average and the good competitor goes on to take a record!

I have a question for powerlifters. Do they have Bench only comps where you could take the record?

David

Edited by Mikael Siversson

So in your eyes it's not good to be 'on' in a particular day? Have you seen my video from just before the contest where i pulled 170kg? It was in training, but on a slippery v-bar.

You are a real piece of art to say that when people congratulate me on my lifts that they are having emotional outbursts.

Your stubborness is close to being authistic.

David,

I am not trying to be mean really I simply just strongly suspect that it is easier to pull WR's in this type of consensed competition and therefore not fully comparable to a competition like the GGC which takes much longer. The length of a contest means that it is harder to stay focused. You will all look silly if Theo pulls much less in May, proving me right, so why don't you all hold back a little with your emotional outbursts.

Theo's lifts were worth my petrol coming down from Stafford! :mosher

They were never going to be world records as we knew before the discs were not calibrated, and well that's fair enough.

But I did offer to bring my calibrated plates down, but then the lifts still wouldn't count in Mikael's list. And well that's all this is, is a list by one person, because with no governing body anybody could type up a list. A governing body was always the way to go, what sports don't have a governing body? As Thorsten answered = Grip! :tongue

Anyway, I cannot see how the pressure of a supermatch is not more than a little local contest, where all bar one competitor is average and the good competitor goes on to take a record!

I have a question for powerlifters. Do they have Bench only comps where you could take the record?

David

Mikael, while it can't be denied that performing maximum effort attempts at pinching, grippers, or whater else might precede the v-bar attempt, would most likely diminish one's performance, there's nothing to prevent someone from holding back on all events preceding v-bar in an effort to hit a world record.

Bob Beamon had a 'on' day in 1968 at the olympics!

This is the point that I've been wanting to express.I don't understand why the hell if Theo doesn't pull the same or more at the following comp everyone should feel stupid. He could be off, that will not disproof anything. He already lifted the 411 lbs. I'm sorry Mikael it can not be undone.

Yep, I will say that consistency in competition is important in measuring a competitor's overall "greatness", if you still pull something one day then you pull it.

Mikael I am going to state some facts about the last Australian Grip Championships where your 'World Record' V-Bar total was set and saturdays Supermatch.

1. There was just 5 competitors.

2. I was not there to witness your lifts. I believe you 'refereed' each other.

3. I did all my lifts later in the day (after a 12 hour plus day which we had all discussed before hand. I also had an 'eye infection' which turned out to be a piece of glass embedded in my eye - irrelevant really)

4. I completed all my lifts in about an hour and a half long after everyone else had finished.

5. There were NO spectators.

6. The plates were calibrated.

If ever there was a contest that was basically a group of guys getting together and just lifting this was it. There were no trophies, no prizes just the guys enjoying lifting for the sake of it. I had a lot of fun with you, Arthur, Mark and David and we enjoyed a great meal and some beers together thanks to Arthur's wife!

Now let me state some facts about the COMPETITION on saturday between Theo and Steve.

1. There were 2 competitors.

2. There was a head judge and two video evidence referees.

3. There were 15 or more spectators.

4. The whole competiton took around 3 1/2 hours with breaks.

5. The plates were not calibrated.

The atmosphere was brilliant. The lifting was some of the best I have EVER seen in a grip only contest from both men. I enjoyed everyone's company and later Theo, Steve, Harry, Lawrence and myself enjoyed a great meal and beers together.

From this I can make a few statements.

1. Both were legitimate competitions as there is no governing body to suggest otherwise.

2. The Supermatch was a high pressure deal with all eyes soley on two people at all times.

3. There was little pressure in Sydney even for me after a days work and not feeling too well.

4. No records were set or recognized at the Supermatch because the plates were not calibrated.

5. There was no official, impartial referee at the Australian Championships.

6. Friends come in all shapes and sizes, all races and colours and all nationalities.

7. Food and beer always make for good times!

I see no difference in either of them being a competition. The only thing is the calibrated plates which everyone agreed on before the contest. NO ONE questioned your record breaking lift and NO ONE should...except perhaps you yourself based on your own evaluation of what a contest is.

This is nothing personal and I like you and think your passion is well intended.

Nick

"officially" recognized or not, that's the best vbar lift I've heard of, especially in a competition. You're the world record holder IMO Theo :mosher

Why not re-using Mikael's lists as a starting point and add another list. Mikael's list would be the records done in competitions and yours would be the records done under certified conditions.

I don't see why there wouldn't be records outside of competitions as long as they are done with the proper witnesses and with calibrated weights (i agree with Mikael on that particular requirement).

Just my own 2 cents.

You know this is really pathetic and not unsurprising to see to be honest.

Dictionary definition of Competition

Cambridge dictionary:

competition Show phonetics

noun

1 when someone is trying to win something or be more successful than someone else:

Other online dictionary quotes

com·pe·ti·tion

–noun

1. the act of competing; rivalry for supremacy, a prize, etc

2. a contest for some prize, honor, or advantage.

3. the rivalry offered by a competitor:

I don't know who the governing body is, David seems to indicate there is none, that decides and sanctions if it a competition when two or more get together to compete! So if there is no sanctioning body then what right as anyone to say this act of competing under official scrutiny was not a competition?

For goodness sake if two or more get together to COMPETE with official, knowledgable trustworthy referees, as David and Nick most certainly are, then how on earth is this not a competition? And why should the lift not be recognised?

I read the board a lot but don't post much because I see certain members who try to strongarm there views to readily onto others.

Theo, I'm not very knowledgable on grip but Damn I know a honest lift when I see it and that lift was unbelievable! Congratulations because in my book thats a record :mosher

Edited by vikingpower

Great lift Theo !

I've only watched it 20-30 times. . . . .I'll probably watch it 100 times more and take a few notes :D

So. . .that's how you lift over 400lbs :ohmy

Dave

Awesome, awesome, awesome lifting Theo!!! Both hands man. Simply unreal. 410 on the LGC? Wonder what you'll pull on the FBBC the next time you get a chance?

It has been a Loooooong time since I chimed in on a "controversial" topic on this board, but I thought I would chip in my slightly disorganized 2 pence in defence of Mikael - I think he is spot on to insist on records being set in "open" (or "qualified") competitions only. I know there are no governing bodies involved here and perhaps this is a good example of why - someone (Mikael) makes a decision (right or wrong) and lots of people throw their hands up and disagree. It is curious how there were relatively few arguments about this BEFORE the competition, when it may have done some good re getting the plates calibrated. I think a way forward would be include the supermatch concept in open contests if you want records to be accepted (although I realize that there would be practical concerns about this).

Hahahaha, the poll could be the entire board "yes" and just Mikael "no" and he wouldn't give a damn or change how he did things!

Of course we could have had a governing body but it didn't work out did it guys? So let's set that aside and not bring it up too many more times.

1. So we have a small contest with 2 people, calibrated discs, and these records count.

2. We have a high profile Supermatch (2 people), calibrated discs in the future, and these records don't count.

Now THIS is strange!

Mac: You have a point there, we didn't get all upset before the comp, we knew that it would be like this. But as you can see, aside from the plates not being calibrated, the difference between the AG and the Supermatch is pretty much nihil. There is no way of denying this. (he'll probably come up with sth anyway.)

I do however want Mikael to reconsider the fact of what is 'real competition' and if records can be made or not.

I do not want my lifts to be recognized as the official record because really, i never intended to go all freaky with the bar on saturday. I still have plenty of chances so it will work out, and Chad and I will have a go at it at the germans.