Peter Horne Memorial Grip Strength Day 2007

David Horne

David will all those photos be available to see,someone said there might be a good one of me,and they are rarer than hens teeth :tongue

I liked this one (one of the few I took - my mates misses Tania took close to 150+ with my camera for me). If you zoom in you can see us in the mirrored shades Maximus is wearing.

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/7889/maxwelles4.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• mobsterone

• twig

• LAINE SNOOK

He has asked if we can include a RT competition at the upcoming British and I'm happy to peg it onto the end of the day and compete (as can anyone) so as to be within the Ironmind RT competition rules (if David sets aside the new handle he used yesterday that would be suitable). We all have some 40 days to add a few kilos to the lift and I'd like to pull 115 (my best on a new handle in competition). Even if Laine cracks on and bangs out 122.5-125-kilos it's no shame to beaten by a world record holder if you then do a great PB yourself. It would be good if a few more lads were to compete and Liz may even add a few kilos to her WR as well.

I would be up for it as well.

Congrats on your World Record Liz :rock Looks like every one had a great time and congrats on your awesome shows of strength!!!

He has asked if we can include a RT competition at the upcoming British and I'm happy to peg it onto the end of the day and compete (as can anyone) so as to be within the Ironmind RT competition rules (if David sets aside the new handle he used yesterday that would be suitable). We all have some 40 days to add a few kilos to the lift and I'd like to pull 115 (my best on a new handle in competition). Even if Laine cracks on and bangs out 122.5-125-kilos it's no shame to beaten by a world record holder if you then do a great PB yourself. It would be good if a few more lads were to compete and Liz may even add a few kilos to her WR as well.

I would be up for it as well.

Good man. A few more and we have a serious competition.

There is some really cool photos on David's site, looked like a real nice day for you all, and alot of world class lifting.

And Mobster is getting really allround strong.

That's the plan. 100-kilo 2HP and 174-kilo with either hand v-bar was my original targets and I am at or close to those figures based on Saturday. 40 more days and I may be a little higher.

Err no. I placed second alongside David (Dave's last pull was 95 - I think it was my third). I actually pulled more than him but ballsed it up by taking either 105 or 110 (can't remember) as a practise / warm up lift and then missing on my final attempt which I think was the same as Laine's. My name is listed after David's as my name is alphabetically after David's.

Not to knock Laine but also needs to keep a tight look on his very large hands. His hands, when locked down on the handle, spread very wide. So wide in fact that the side of his palm (pinkie side) appears to creep onto the non-revolving portion of the handle (most of the photos I have are from the left whereas I was about two feet away and to the right where I had a good clear look at his left hand when lifting) which as you know is a rule infringement. His hands are so broad that, like any other half decent RT lifter he sets his middle finger as close to the centre portion of the revolving handle. Obviously this balances the weight and so the handle isn't tilted etc. But the may years of lifting have, as they have with many, broadened and thickened his hands. The 'meat' on the side of my hand sticks out perhaps a little over a quarter of an inch. Laine's is far thicker and meatier and juts out some more. I doubt if he is even concious of it once he cracks on and bangs out the reps but I'm sure we would all lift a little more if we conciously did the same. Literally a quarter of an inch adjustment to the left of centre, some lower back recovery work and he'll be good to go.

Hello all,

I am quite upset by Steve's comments here on the forum, and I feel that I must respond to the comments that have been made.

I am not prepared to to have comments made like this, which are not true, to place my reputation as a lifter or the reputation of my world record in any doubt. I feel quite strongly about this matter and I plan to resolve it in a short space of time.

I will say that I have never infringed the Ironmind rules in any way shape or form, I have large hands that much is true, but at no time does the pad of my hand touch the non-revolving part of the handle, and to prove this I will either drive, crawl or get wheeled to Steves' house/gym and show him exactly what he has not seen - when I have done this I will expect an apology from Steve, via this forum, and that I hope will be the end of the matter. I will be sending Steve a PM as soon as I have posted this response.

On a brighter note, I was very pleased that Elizabeth got the world record - it was a great effort and we should all be humbled by her achievement and inspired to do greater things ourselves. Myself, I hope to have another go at the record if and hopefully when my back is in better shape, I will be more than happy to show the referee before the contest that I do not infringe the Ironmind rules of competition.

Finally, I would like to thank David for making Donna and myself welcome at his home, and giving me the chance to try for the world record, it was an honour to lift at his fathers memorial day and I hope I will be able to lift at this "gathering" for years to come.

Good luck to you all, think of Elizabeth's achievement and train harder, you never know what might happen!

Laine

What a comp! :cool

Congrats to all and specially to your wife for her WR in the RT, Steve for an awesome V-bar lift and you for another great pinch lift!

Seems also that Dave Johnson is very good at breaking nails. 43s unbraced is great for a 6" nail (i guess it is 1/4" thick).

Cheers mates,

Amaury

My pennies worth on Laine's lifts was I saw no infringements in the rules at all, just a strong easy lift till his back gave way, and I was the referee in front of him. I was impressed in how easy his lifts looked in his hand, the 125.5k lift was high, not there as we know, but high - real strong, and a very BIG Rolling Thunder is there this year.

Laine,

Thanks for the kind words. As I said if you want to come along and train/look at the collection just give me a bell.

Amaury,

Yes Dave's bending is coming on very well. It is just starting to click, and I expect him to climb the ranks quite quickly. He's also a great bloke.

David

Err no. I placed second alongside David (Dave's last pull was 95 - I think it was my third). I actually pulled more than him but ballsed it up by taking either 105 or 110 (can't remember) as a practise / warm up lift and then missing on my final attempt which I think was the same as Laine's. My name is listed after David's as my name is alphabetically after David's.

Not to knock Laine but also needs to keep a tight look on his very large hands. His hands, when locked down on the handle, spread very wide. So wide in fact that the side of his palm (pinkie side) appears to creep onto the non-revolving portion of the handle (most of the photos I have are from the left whereas I was about two feet away and to the right where I had a good clear look at his left hand when lifting) which as you know is a rule infringement. His hands are so broad that, like any other half decent RT lifter he sets his middle finger as close to the centre portion of the revolving handle. Obviously this balances the weight and so the handle isn't tilted etc. But the may years of lifting have, as they have with many, broadened and thickened his hands. The 'meat' on the side of my hand sticks out perhaps a little over a quarter of an inch. Laine's is far thicker and meatier and juts out some more. I doubt if he is even concious of it once he cracks on and bangs out the reps but I'm sure we would all lift a little more if we conciously did the same. Literally a quarter of an inch adjustment to the left of centre, some lower back recovery work and he'll be good to go.

Hello all,

I am quite upset by Steve's comments here on the forum, and I feel that I must respond to the comments that have been made.

I am not prepared to to have comments made like this, which are not true, to place my reputation as a lifter or the reputation of my world record in any doubt. I feel quite strongly about this matter and I plan to resolve it in a short space of time.

I will say that I have never infringed the Ironmind rules in any way shape or form, I have large hands that much is true, but at no time does the pad of my hand touch the non-revolving part of the handle, and to prove this I will either drive, crawl or get wheeled to Steves' house/gym and show him exactly what he has not seen - when I have done this I will expect an apology from Steve, via this forum, and that I hope will be the end of the matter. I will be sending Steve a PM as soon as I have posted this response.

Laine

I am in the process of replying. That Laine feels so strongly is of course his right. If he wishes to visit and pull close to his maximum while I take a close up shot then I will be glad to assist him in taking the photo to show what he is saying. However, as per my rather lengthy reply via PM, I have suggested that there are at least three parts of my post above where I am sure that I took some care over - so as to not cause upset etc. In my reply via PM I have drawn attention to those parts of my post.

I will happily post up photos of his hand in position before and during any 250+ lbs lift. Laine may not yet be aware but at Randall Strossens request I am pegging on (as mentioned in posts here today) a Rolling Thunder competition so as to give him an opportunity to raise his WR to new heights. That request was made 12 hours after the post. My ok'ing it is hardly the action of some great doubter of his ability.

I have some 38 photos taken of the various attempts on the Rolling Thunder lift portion of the day. In some you can see that some lifters lift with a slight tilt but none use an exaggerated position. In others the lifter is pulling but away from those looking on - off to the side and out of full view of those judging the lifts. This was due to how the pin had set when being place down on the previous attempt. That the same lifters changed postition to a more face on view when lifting in later photos and with heavier weights proves that they were not using any tricks. That the ref, Liz's brother and the video camera are either to the front or left of view means if the hands are held foward rather than square on or the body twisted away in any way that the refs etc cannot see the whole hand. Tania, who took my photos for me, took her photos from the left of centre looking at the lifters and I have, as above, 38 examples to pick from.

Finally, as many are aware, posts and threads made in forums like this can be seen in isolation and taken at more than their face value. If one is offended or slighted easily then a post such as mkine can seem come great slur. If taken as is it can merely seem like an idle comment. No more or less. It is no great slight one someones manhood and should not been seen as such. If Laine see it as so I apologise now.

I'll see if Laine and I can get together real soon with my hand fuji finepix ready to resolve the matter entirely. I did include in my reply the idea that being a head of the game may well mean people will cast an eye over what one does - tilted Millenniun dumbbell lift anyone?

Anyway, are there any more videos out there of the contest someone can post?

Theo,

There wasn't much videoing done as I had to load, referee, coach, lift, etc.

David