Peter Horne Memorial Grip Strength Day 2007

David Horne

Well we were so lucky to have a fantastically warm day – it was like summer, and boy was I sweating on the last event. A great bunch of people came today, some old faces, and some new which was great to see. Many thanks!

Just a couple of notes before I go to bed (I’m knackered). The Jim Mills mentioned here is the son of an old strongman/weightlifter who held the cue levering world record. I remember reading about Jim many years ago, and here we have his son competing – brilliant! Jim showed his kindness today by giving me a lovely big framed drawing of his father performing one of his feats, and the original cue he used for his world record. I’m very touched, and it will fit into the working collection/museum very well – thanks!

Many thanks also to big Laine for bringing all those Ivanko discs over, especially with his bad back!

Also huge thanks to Steve Gardener and the 18 people who donated. They have helped me to go to the GGC and I will always remember that. Boy if I have as much fun over there with like minded individuals as I have today then it will be a blast!

We then went for a big steak, pudding and a Guinness.

My dad would have loved today’s goings on. It was a great birthday do! :laugh

Thanks everyone!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• mobsterone

• twig

• LAINE SNOOK

For David yes, but I had two as I knew the first one wouldn't last too long :D

Three things:

1. Liz on the WR for the RT, fantastic!

2. David's 2 Hand Pinch, the shoulder must be "really bothering you". Jeez, that is amazing.

3. When did Steve G become so good with the Vbar? Theo put the fear of God in him or something?

Sounds like a unique and fun event, something for everybody. Nice job.

Hbgzr

Well done everyone.

Special congrats to Liz for a new WR on the RT and for getting a G5 under 1 min! :rock

Well done all!!!

Congrats Liz to the new RTWR and Steve to another HUGE vbar!!!!

Too bad that Laine had a very bad back, but 113 Ks with an injured back and on a brandnew handle is worldclass in my eyes :rock

Congrats to a superb organized competition David!

It seems you all had a great day!

Edited by moser1972

:D Boy am i sore this morning,but it was worth it after such a good day,i really enjoyed it,great to meet everyone again and especially some new faces!

Some great feats were witnessed,Laine on the rolling thunder was especially impressive :bow the guy is huge and makes it look easy,im sure when he is all healed the record will fall no problem,Steve G on the V bar was excellent :rock an impressive final weight,thought a little comp was going to break out between him and Jim until Jim lost a nice bit of skin!

Liz on the bending was brilliant and i think she just failed on a 5.5in G5,get the form dialed in and bigger steel will fall no problem!

:D Pleased with my own performance today could have done better in rolling thunder i think but dont really train it,my effort on the Vbar i was most pleased with i have never tried it and thought not a bad effort for a first attempt,i did try 140kg i think as a last lift it moved a bit :laugh

:blink The bending was tough as it came at the end of a long hot day thats makes it a good challenge,with a bit more stamina i prob could have taken overall first,on the DO bending i did a bastard in 37seonds then a 7in 5/16 303 grade stainless,and tried to finish a 6.5in 5/16 303 grade stainless got it to 2.5in but ran out of time and gas,think that would have won it for me,but anyone who bends knows doing those bars one after each other really saps the energy!

Finally the snapping and it was a killer,after a day of lifting bending and hot sunshine it destroyed me and prob everyone else :laugh

All in all a brilliant day spent in the company of good people,thanks to David and Liz for hosting and to everyone else who made the day what it was! see ya all soon!

Max.

P.s David will all those photos be available to see,someone said there might be a good one of me,and they are rarer than hens teeth :tongue

Wow! Great job everyone!

So it's hot over there in Britain and we had snow yesterday in Fort Worth... hmmm.

Liz has one man sized pinch... and bend!

Oh, and I'm glad that Steve is doing so well with the v-bar. I really think this will help boost his self confidence. :tongue

Seriously, nice pull, Steve!

Great lifting Elizabeth for a new world record!!!

David ,Steve and Big Laine awesome lifting !!!

A big well done for everyone !!!!

Congrats everyone!

Maxwell,

I didn't take any photos as I was too busy with everything else, but I know a lot were taken by others, and my brother in law took many. I think he will have them soon, and I will sort out the ones of you.

Elizabeth is coming on so strong, and on a weekly basis.

David

Oh, and I'm glad that Steve is doing so well with the v-bar. I really think this will help boost his self confidence. :tongue

Seriously, nice pull, Steve!

How I suffer as well... ;)

Congrats to all - sounds like a great day!

Nice job everyone! Whats that I hear? Steve "Thickbar Daddy" Gardener places 3rd in the RT?? Methinks he was just saving it to school everyone in vbar... :tongue:laugh

Err no. I placed second alongside David (Dave's last pull was 95 - I think it was my third). I actually pulled more than him but ballsed it up by taking either 105 or 110 (can't remember) as a practise / warm up lift and then missing on my final attempt which I think was the same as Laine's. My name is listed after David's as my name is alphabetically after David's.

Not to knock Laine but also needs to keep a tight look on his very large hands. His hands, when locked down on the handle, spread very wide. So wide in fact that the side of his palm (pinkie side) appears to creep onto the non-revolving portion of the handle (most of the photos I have are from the left whereas I was about two feet away and to the right where I had a good clear look at his left hand when lifting) which as you know is a rule infringement. His hands are so broad that, like any other half decent RT lifter he sets his middle finger as close to the centre portion of the revolving handle. Obviously this balances the weight and so the handle isn't tilted etc. But the may years of lifting have, as they have with many, broadened and thickened his hands. The 'meat' on the side of my hand sticks out perhaps a little over a quarter of an inch. Laine's is far thicker and meatier and juts out some more. I doubt if he is even concious of it once he cracks on and bangs out the reps but I'm sure we would all lift a little more if we conciously did the same. Literally a quarter of an inch adjustment to the left of centre, some lower back recovery work and he'll be good to go.

He has asked if we can include a RT competition at the upcoming British and I'm happy to peg it onto the end of the day and compete (as can anyone) so as to be within the Ironmind RT competition rules (if David sets aside the new handle he used yesterday that would be suitable). We all have some 40 days to add a few kilos to the lift and I'd like to pull 115 (my best on a new handle in competition). Even if Laine cracks on and bangs out 122.5-125-kilos it's no shame to beaten by a world record holder if you then do a great PB yourself. It would be good if a few more lads were to compete and Liz may even add a few kilos to her WR as well.

Aah, my bad Steve. For some strange reason I read the .5 as a .3 on yours :whacked

Err no. I placed second alongside David (Dave's last pull was 95 - I think it was my third). I actually pulled more than him but ballsed it up by taking either 105 or 110 (can't remember) as a practise / warm up lift and then missing on my final attempt which I think was the same as Laine's. My name is listed after David's as my name is alphabetically after David's.

Not to knock Laine but also needs to keep a tight look on his very large hands. His hands, when locked down on the handle, spread very wide. So wide in fact that the side of his palm (pinkie side) appears to creep onto the non-revolving portion of the handle (most of the photos I have are from the left whereas I was about two feet away and to the right where I had a good clear look at his left hand when lifting) which as you know is a rule infringement. His hands are so broad that, like any other half decent RT lifter he sets his middle finger as close to the centre portion of the revolving handle. Obviously this balances the weight and so the handle isn't tilted etc. But the may years of lifting have, as they have with many, broadened and thickened his hands. The 'meat' on the side of my hand sticks out perhaps a little over a quarter of an inch. Laine's is far thicker and meatier and juts out some more. I doubt if he is even concious of it once he cracks on and bangs out the reps but I'm sure we would all lift a little more if we conciously did the same. Literally a quarter of an inch adjustment to the left of centre, some lower back recovery work and he'll be good to go.

He has asked if we can include a RT competition at the upcoming British and I'm happy to peg it onto the end of the day and compete (as can anyone) so as to be within the Ironmind RT competition rules (if David sets aside the new handle he used yesterday that would be suitable). We all have some 40 days to add a few kilos to the lift and I'd like to pull 115 (my best on a new handle in competition). Even if Laine cracks on and bangs out 122.5-125-kilos it's no shame to beaten by a world record holder if you then do a great PB yourself. It would be good if a few more lads were to compete and Liz may even add a few kilos to her WR as well.

Impressive RT by David! (as well as pinch, hub, etc.. of course)

And Steve has become one hell of an all-rounder!!! very very impressive Steve!!

The constant nagging by David started taking effect two years ago. That and the way things are set up for me here in Gloucester all helped.