Strong Handshake

BRETTY1

Thanks Philthy. I take it someone has tried this with you? I'm wasn't so subtle and just drove my knee into his nuts - then he let go, not my finest moment I'm afraid.

Deano

Damn, that blows. It's true, if someones a jerk they can just squeeze your fingers and you're done no matter your grip strength.

This is a topic that get brought up every once in a while, and I totally agree that anyone who does this to random people derserves a swift kick in the nuts.

But.. I would like to see it seriously answered for once. My friend and I have contests for fun sometimes, mercy handshakes, he usually wins, he's also got a bigger hand. But I would be curious to know what people think actually aids this crush the most.

My guess would be thickbar.

I have a friend who will shake your hand extra hard, but what is even worst, he doesn't squeeze your hand in the middle like you would normally shake their hand in... he squeezes the finger tips so even if you have the strongest hands in the world you wouldn't be able to squeeze back, cause its not a real hand shake its a finger shake.... it makes no sense to me at all why he does this the only conclusion I can come up with is that he is worried I might hurt him cause he knows I'm stronger than him.... the last time he did this to me I took his wrist grabbed it and shuved his hand in the right placement of a authentic normal hand shake and than shook his hand.... I think that sent him the message

AWESOME! I had a coworker who would do the same childish thing. Now I wish I had taken affirmative action like you did.

My guess would be pick your parents carefully so you come out with 8.5''+ hands but... as for exercises... 3'' bar aswell as inverted closes.

Normal gripper closes mean very little regarding handshake strength.

Normal gripper closes mean very little regarding handshake strength.

Couldn't agree more!!

Do you think inverted closes help a lot?

I was thinking about this yesterday. I think to train for HANDSHAKE strength, probably a grip machine with parallel handles is the best the grippers are good, but take a look at a gripper when closed, and at that gripper when it's half an inch from closing. In either possition, it's thinner than most male's hands. To train for handstrength I'd use two parallel handles that are about 4 inches appart on the outside diameters (not the inner part between them), and close them until they are, say, 2.5" appart on the outside diameters (meaning a 1.5" ROM maybe)... because a hand, no matter what it's width is, wont compress very much like a gripper will. I dunno, I'm just thinking out loud here...

Good points.

Gripper sweep isn't a bad indication of hand shake strength. Say, a really wide (3'' spread) BB Pro. I would say that guys with a strong handshake would be able to squeeze this no set at at the very least move it 1''.

It's not fair if you shake just the fingers. Handshake has that name because you shake the hand, do you?

I like to give a solid, firm handshake, but everyone knows when its beyond firm and just too hard...I get compliments for a "firm handshake" when I go in for Job interviews or meet new people, but nobodys ever told me that I was hurting them which makes me glad becuase I dont want to seem like a jerk, but I think its a sign of respect and means alot more than a 'dead fish' handshake that some people give you...

I like to give a solid, firm handshake, but everyone knows when its beyond firm and just too hard...I get compliments for a "firm handshake" when I go in for Job interviews or meet new people, but nobodys ever told me that I was hurting them which makes me glad becuase I dont want to seem like a jerk, but I think its a sign of respect and means alot more than a 'dead fish' handshake that some people give you...

i really hate both the oversqueeze, meathead handshake and the dead fish handshake, i have a female friend who when you try to shake her hand does nothing at all except extend her arm, you cant even shake hands with her because she doesnt squeeze at all

• 1 month later...

Being 16 my friends and i naturally like to show off strength and stuff etc and everytime we see eachother we all sqeeze hands, we sqeeze in the handshake position until someone gives in; this happeneds between about 5 of us every day (except weekends). I used to be the best at this as i train with COC and was naturally quite strong anyway but now one of my friends has just excelled at his hand crushing and can beat every single one of us straight after eachother. Naturally i was disappointed but the worst part is he won't share his 'secret' and i was wondering apart from doing negatives in there a way to really excell at hand crushing?

I know it sounds childish but if theres a competition between my friends i sure want to be in it to win it.

i really hate both the oversqueeze, meathead handshake and the dead fish handshake, i have a female friend who when you try to shake her hand does nothing at all except extend her arm, you cant even shake hands with her because she doesnt squeeze at all

Many of my MALE friends shake hands like your FEMALE friend. I am not kidding. All they do is to extend their arm with no finger squeeze at all. Every person is different. I just give everyone the squeeze they want. If a person don't squeeze at all, I also don't squeeze. If they sqyeeze a little I also do the same. But no one is jerk enough to oversqueeze my hands, unless if he's my friend. Not because I have strong handshake. In fact, I have a normal handshake. My hands are only 7.5 But it's about respect.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's pretty rude to give an oversqueezed handshake on purpose. It's like, "Do you want to shake my hand or steal my lunch money?" :whistel

firm handshake = confidence

crusher handshake = arrogance

nobody likes a show-off

Being 16 my friends and i naturally like to show off strength and stuff etc and everytime we see eachother we all sqeeze hands, we sqeeze in the handshake position until someone gives in; this happeneds between about 5 of us every day (except weekends). I used to be the best at this as i train with COC and was naturally quite strong anyway but now one of my friends has just excelled at his hand crushing and can beat every single one of us straight after eachother. Naturally i was disappointed but the worst part is he won't share his 'secret' and i was wondering apart from doing negatives in there a way to really excell at hand crushing?

I know it sounds childish but if theres a competition between my friends i sure want to be in it to win it.

Best thing i could suggest is working with block weights, if you can't get hold of any then tie some rope around a brick, attach some weight on to the end of the rope, then lift the brick with one hand (wearing gloves is a good idea as the edges may be quite sharp and can easily rip off skin when going for a heavy lift).

I keep reading various articles, all saying, block weights = hand strength. After several weeks of taking this advice seriously i've noticed a big increase in my overall crushing grip. I recommend everyone makes it a part of their work out.

If you think about it, it makes perfect sense, as the specific crush grip you develop with grippers is quite specific to small objects. I bet everyone is a lot better at 'setting' their gripper then crushing the hell out of it to good effect, but have you ever tried closing the gripper you're currently working on just by picking it up in one hand and closing it? this takes a massive amount of overall hand strength, something that is neglected when people train excluisvely on grippers - me being one of them until a while ago!.

One final note, with regards to hand shakes in particular, people with big hands will always have an advantage over people with smaller hands purely because their initial "set" on the handshake is smaller (similar to a "setting" a gripper), whereas the small guy has no chance due to the large set he has to start with (like trying to close your fav COC without a set).

Probably overkilled the explanation above, but nevermind :blink

I remember reading that when Heath Sexton met Joe Kinney, and they shook hands, Joe squeezed hard enough to "hurt" Heaths hand. I don't think Joe has very big hands. So all you have to do is be able to close the #4. No big deal.

I have had a friend at school. He was a Carpenter. He made wood windows. He was cutting nails with cutters every day. He had very strong handshake.

I don't think anyone is strong enough to not know when they are hurting someone in a handshake.

Yeah I think that's right. My girlfriend's sister said to her the other day 'so now he does all this strength training does he keep accidentally breaking stuff?' haha, like I would suddenly not know my own strength and rip the door off its hinges.

• 2 months later...
well, i'm a little confused now. is this not the proper way to grip another man's hand?

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/graphics/header.jpg

It's not fair if you shake just the fingers. Handshake has that name because you shake the hand, do you?

correct handshake:

http://www.functionalhandstrength.com/images/handshake2.jpg

• 3 years later...

I have a friend who will shake your hand extra hard, but what is even worst, he doesn't squeeze your hand in the middle like you would normally shake their hand in... he squeezes the finger tips so even if you have the strongest hands in the world you wouldn't be able to squeeze back, cause its not a real hand shake its a finger shake.... it makes no sense to me at all why he does this the only conclusion I can come up with is that he is worried I might hurt him cause he knows I'm stronger than him.... the last time he did this to me I took his wrist grabbed it and shuved his hand in the right placement of a authentic normal hand shake and than shook his hand.... I think that sent him the message

That happened to me recently. A guy I met went for my fingertips, but I managed to still "win" his handshake game. You have to be much stronger than the person to overcome this dirty trick. If you do alot of thickbar and block weight training, that will help you overcome an overbearing handshake. I believe alot of the "crushing" power in a handshake comes from the thumb. It's like clamping down on a thick bar or a Blob or a block weight. I regularly workout with a block weight and I grab it by the face and simulate shaking a person's hand. I'll just shake it in mid air. I do this specifically to overpower smartasses out there who try to crush my hand. I don't ever try to hurt people on purpose. But this technique has helped me to "comeback" after someone has tried to crush my hand in an overbearing handshake.

I've done this about a handful of times in the past..........I mean about "coming back" from an overbearing handshake. It is cool to see the look on the other asshole's face when you overpower his attempt to break your hand.

I've had a lot of arrogant guys grip up my hand and try to crush it over the years on construction sites(I used to be a Block Mason), but I never squeezed back any harder than normal...except for once...some prick block laborer from the job across the street heard I could carry two split-face corner block in one hand by pinching them together...he wanted to "prove" that his hands were stronger than mine I guess...so he squeezed hard enough to actually hurt my hand...as soon as I felt a little pain, I got pissed and didn't hold back...his face just grimaced in pain, and I quick let go and said "oops guess I don't know my own strength". That was the one and only time I've ever squeezed someone's hand hard...So I guess if I was going to suggest a handshake strengthener, I would reccomend carrying or lifting cement blocks, or just block weights...if your hand shake does get strong enough to hurt someone though I would say...just because you can...doesn't mean you should.

just because you can...doesn't mean you should.

That's quite possibly the best advice that anyone could give. I wish more people would use that philosophy, in all aspects of life! :mosher

Edited by Zach Cramer