One Of These Days

Cannon

Saturday

I closed my HG300! :yikes

I am in the process of moving my workouts to weekends, so I wasn't quite ready to do a full workout today after Thursday's workout. However, I figured I would warm up and try and capture some closes on camera. Of course, the HG300 close was the only quasi-blurry photo, but oh well.

Time to get more grippers! One of these days, I'm going to close that CoC3!

Congrats on the HG300 close!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cannon

• bencrush

• pdoire

• Teemu I

Thanks Paul! I need more grippers now! Saturday can't come soon enough!

Sidenote: Wannagrip was nice enough to change my display name. The "Careful With That Axe Eugene" thing was really annoying me. I didn't realize how much I'd like the Gripboard when I signed up.

Tuesday Workout

Gripper warmup.

Goal Gripper attempts: HG300:

R (closed)

L (1 mm)

R (closed)

L (1 mm)

3 sets, HG250 Overcrushes, ~7-10secs

1 straphold, CoC1, 5 lbs, ~10 secs.

Also, after my goal gripper attempts, just for fun, I tried a CCS on my #2 and got it!

Just talked to Warren Tetting for a while... He also said that a telegraph key is an invaluable tool for building the thumb pad

My apologies for interrupting your thread again (great workouts, btw!). Hope you don't mind if I ask 2 questions:

1) What hand position, exactly, on the telegraph key is supposed to be the best for helping the thumb pad? I can't figure out if thumb-tip/finger-tip only is what they mean, or if they mean to use fingertips on one side, but full length of thumb + thumb pad resting on the other side.

2) How did you change your Gripboard name so seamlessly? (I'd like to do the same thing.)

Thank you.

Just talked to Warren Tetting for a while... He also said that a telegraph key is an invaluable tool for building the thumb pad

My apologies for interrupting your thread again (great workouts, btw!). Hope you don't mind if I ask 2 questions:

1) What hand position, exactly, on the telegraph key is supposed to be the best for helping the thumb pad? I can't figure out if thumb-tip/finger-tip only is what they mean, or if they mean to use fingertips on one side, but full length of thumb + thumb pad resting on the other side.

2) How did you change your Gripboard name so seamlessly? (I'd like to do the same thing.)

Thank you.

No apologies necessary! This is what all this is for, right!?

1) I will shoot this question at Warren on Saturday. I am in the process of making a homemade Telegraph Key because Warren felt so strongly that EVERY gripster should use this tool. I have not ever used one yet. I will ask for a tutorial and let you know what he says.

2) I hope I didn't open a whole can of worms here. I politely asked Wannagrip if it was possible to change, because that "Careful With That Axe" crap was so long. I was getting really tired of looking at it. He just responded with "DONE" and the change was made. What's wrong with Telegraph Key? That's a sweet pofile name. You also have quite a bit of history with that name and I've only got a few posts under my belt. I don't recommend changing. I just wish I would have had more forethought when I signed up.

Thanks for your reply. I look forward to seeing what you find out about using the TK.

Which leads to the name-change thing. When I first discovered Gripboard, I couldn't view it at all, even just to lurk, without registering. I had no idea what kinds of names people were using on this board, so I just settled on what was, at that time, my favorite grip tool. (I've since become a much bigger fan of straight-forward CoC grippers, thanks entirely to the Gripboard!) But my knowledge then, and till now apparently, has been (to me) embarassingly poor about how, exactly, to use the TK for full benefit. I keep thinking my preferred "fingertips-only" approach is not the correct one for improving thumb-pad strength for the grippers. So I don't really feel like I "own" the name Telegraph Key, if that makes any sense.

Thanks, again.

Thanks for your reply. I look forward to seeing what you find out about using the TK.

What makes sense to me for the thumb pad would be kind of a "President Clinton hand gesture during a speech." This is the best picture I could find, but usually he's pressing his thumb against his index finger [picture].

On the telegraph key, you would hook the side of your index under the bottom key and squeeze shut with your thumb. We'll see what Warren says. I will make sure and let you know.

Warren Tetting

I met Warren at his shop yesterday and it was certainly an experience. He loves to talk training and the "good-ole-days." He's really not impressed with current state of sports, especially the strength sports. So, I got an education about the Golden Era. He speaks so passionately about these times, it's understandable why he would be nostalgic.

Grippers

We spent quite a bit of time talking grippers. I brought my CoC1, CoC2, and HG300 just for kicks. He took a quick look at the HG300 and was appalled by the construction. The spring is huge, .295, same as a BBE! However, the handles are mounted at least 1/4" from the spring, making it much easier. My HG300 is barely harder than a CoC2, and definitely easier than a BBSM. If the handles were mounted properly, it would be harder than a 3!

He was also surprised to see my CoC1. He had not seen the polished GR8 springs. Also, the spring is .245 which is heavier than before. CoC1 used to be a .235 spring. So, Ironmind has quietly made the CoC1 harder, probably to make room for the T, G, and S. We talked about Ironmind and Strossen for a while, but I was confused by the history and didn't really follow.

Big Grippers

"Warren, why the hell do you make these?" That was my question upon picking up some Super-Nova-Galaxy-Evil-Gripper thing. It was whichever gripper is the hardest one he makes. The spring looked like brains. My best effort on the gripper, with both hands, yielded no movement. "Did you say you have a BBA around here somewhere?" Apparently, some benders buy the huge grippers to practice the two-handed crush at the end of a bend. They can have them.

Hands

Warren grabbed my hand and says, "Lemme see here." He had me touch the middle of my palm with my thumb so he could poke my thumb pad. "Is that as hard as you can make it?" Sorry, Warren, that's it! So, my thumb pad has a long way to come. He also said my hand needs to get thicker in the palm overall. He recommended telegraph key.

Telegraph Key

I ended up buying one of these from Warren. He reiterated, "There is no substitute for building the thumb pad." Sounds like a deal. We went through how to use the thing, and it's pretty straight-forward. With the machine about waist height, hook the fingers under the bottom key and the thumb on the top key. Close your hand. It's not the presidential-hand-gesture-grip like I thought. Your fingers should be a supinated hook grip. I noticed while using the machine that my thumb would bend at the bottom of the rep. Warren said that's fine, just make sure your thumb is doing the work.

Other training

Warren recommended squats squats and squats. Specifically 20 rep squats, twice a week if possible. Also, forearm work like wrist curls and hammer curls. Never on grip days, though. Telegraph Key twice a week. Get rid of bench press and do reverse dips instead.

Overall, it was wonderful to meet with him and talk training. He is eager to help and has lots of advice.

Saturday Workout

Warmup

20 rep squats, 115lbs (don't laugh), moderately difficult, but a good reintroduction to squatting.

Pullups (dead hang)

8, 8

Chins (dead hang)

1 set, 10 reps, HG150, no set

1 set, 8 reps, CoC1, no set

1 set, 5 reps, CoC2, light set, assist close if necessary

Goal Gripper attempts, BBSM, CCS, forced in for a negative

R (1/8")

L (1")

R (3/8")

L (3/4")

R (1/2")

L (3/4")

Strapholds, CoC1, 5 lbs, ~7secs

Yikes! This workout really felt good. It's nice to have grippers again that can rip up the skin a little.

Sunday Workout

Levering, blob, and telegraph key. I forgot to mention that telegraph key should be done with the thumb on top as well. Resembles a plate pinch.

I found that it's difficult to keep good form on the telegraph key. You want to make sure that you're working with your desired fingers or thumb and not applying leverage with your body or arm.

I got 10 rotations on my blob. It was raining hard or I would have gone in the yard and tried to do overhand catches.

Belated Tuesday Workout

I had a bout of something nasty yesterday and there was no way a workout was going to happen. So, it happened today in the park at lunch!

Gripper warmup

Goal Gripper attempts, BBSM

R (1/8", forced in for negative)

L (1/2", forced in for negative)

L (1/2", forced in for negative)

L (3/4", forced in for negative)

R (1/4", forced in for negative)

L (3/4", forced in for negative)

Straphold, ~7secs, 5lbs, CoC1

Cooldown, 25 reps, HG150

Tonight at home I'll do a quick warmup and hit the Telegraph Key and maybe try to get 210 in vBar.

Tuesday Workout Part Deux

vBAR

Telegraph Key

Thumbs

Fingers

And, some random gripper stuff I probably shouldn't have done, but...Oh well!

CoC1, 10 reps, no set each rep

CoC2, 1 rep, CCS

HG250, 1 rep, NS

HG200, 8 reps, NS each rep

• 1 month later...

I don't know why I stopped logging here. I've been derailed for a little bit because my left-hand middle finger has been really sore. It's mostly better, however, so I did a very light "test the waters" workout last night. Hopefully I can get back to twice-weekly grip workouts!

Current PRs

HG300

DU 7"x1/4" CRS

Current Goal gripper is the BBSM.

Sunday Workout

Light Sledge Levering

Secret Weapon replica

15 reps, 25 lbs, held closed 5 sec each

Finally set this up. First time I've used it, so I was just getting a feel. I think it is fantastic.

Tonnage: 375

CoC2

CCS

4 sets, 1 rep, right hand, swift and strong, felt great.

Tested the left with 1 MMS close and it felt okay. I'll keep adding to the left-hand load as my middle finger allows.

Blob30 lifts

Held as long as possible.

RL RL RL RL RL

My middle finger feels pretty good today. I can tell when it's sore by making a tight fist. Recently, it gets uncomfortable as I squeeze--today it feel good!

The plan from here is to do 1 day on the Secret Weapon, and 1 day with grippers. Gripper day will be based on advice I got from Tommy Heslep and from reading some advice given by Nathan Holle and Dave Morton.

Edited by Cannon

Wednesday Night

I couldn't sleep last night, so I did my Thursday grip workout:

Warmup

CoC1, NS closes

BBSM attempts

MMS

R 5mm

L 10mm

R 5mm

L 10mm

R 6mm

L skipped

CoC2 closes

R CCS

L MMS

R CCS

L CCS missed by 4mm

R CCS

L MMS

R CCS

L MMS

CoC1 closes

1 set, 4 reps, CCS width each rep

Overall I felt strong. I was really happy with the 5mm misses on the BBSM. The CoC2 closes were swift and strong, even with the left, despite missing that 2nd attempt on the left from CCS.

Middle finger is sore today, but didn't hurt during the workout. Is it possible this is just tendonitis? How injured can it be if it doesn't hurt under a heavy load.....?

I don't think your middle finger is badly injured, if it doesn't hurt while gripping. Treat it with some cold therapy couple of times a day. But don't just ignore it if it doesn't stop bothering you.

Nice workouts dude, now keep them coming on consistent basis!

I don't think your middle finger is badly injured, if it doesn't hurt while gripping. Treat it with some cold therapy couple of times a day. But don't just ignore it if it doesn't stop bothering you.

Nice workouts dude, now keep them coming on consistent basis!

Thanks Teemu! They will be consistent now. I am incredibly driven to get that CoC3. I'm not skipping any more workouts because of that finger. I will train my left to the best of its ability. If it hurts too much, I'll just train my right that day. I am confident it will heal...eventually.

Thursday

Extensor bands

We'll see what the schedule is like tonight. I made a trip to Home Depot and may try and sneak in some bending tonight. I got a couple of easy bolts to try, some hard timber ties, a Grade 2, and some 60d nails that Bencrush suggested. If I got the right ones, he said they are among the easiest 60d nails out there. Should be good practice.

I'm on a bending high over myuh! :yikes

I did 4 bends tonight with some stuff I bought at Home Depot today. All were done DU and all ended up being bent about 1/2" off center. I'll have to try and fix that. I tried to EXPLODE into the nail, and I think I did pretty well. The longest bend was the last one at about 20 secs because I had to reposition for the crush.

Warm-up

1/4" x 6" 60d Ring Shank Timber Tie

This would have been an easy bend, and it was a good warm-up, but it popped in half like those pole barn nails. Not as quickly, but still during the kink.

1/4" x 6" random shiny bolt

This was some unmarked steel bolt they had. No graded markings on the head. I hoped that it would feel mushy. It was actually a little harder than I expected. Crushed down to 1-1/8".

1/4" x 6" Grade 2 galvanized bolt

I think this was easier than the one above. Bent into a nice "U" instead of "V". The crush was really mushy. Crushed down to 7/8".

1/4" x 6" 60d Spiral Shank Timber Tie, hot-dipped galvanized

This was relatively hard demanding, but manageable. Got a great kink. Crush down was hard and had to reposition a couple of times. Crushed to 1-1/2".

I was writing to Bencrush about those spiral shank timber ties from Home Depot. He felt they are a little harder than IM Blue nails. I wonder if I got the right ones...? I have some CRS that I have been cutting to mimic IM nails, so next week I will try a Blue equivalent. I feel this CRS has been tough, so we'll see how it compares.

Again, my mood: :yikes

Thanks acorn and gazza! I hope to get a Blue nail equivalent this Thursday!

Sunday Workout

Warm-up

CoC1

3-4 reps

BBSM

R 5mm

L crap

R 4mm

L 10mm

R 4mm

L 9mm

R 4mm

L 10mm

CoC2 CCS

R 1mm

L 3mm

R closed

L 3mm

R <1mm, maybe closed?

L 3mm

Not as strong as last week on these, but I really gave the BBSM attempts everything I had.

CoC1 reps, CCS width each rep

R 11

L 10

Secret Weapon singles

5x50lbs

Still getting used to this thing. Wednesday night I might do a bigger workout with this thing.

I had a great experience with Heavy Grips this past week. I wrote them to ask about my HG300 which seemed incredibly easy. They said that their Lifetime Warranty guarantees that the spread will always be 2-1/2" or greater. Mine was about 2-1/4" so they sent me a new HG300 free of charge.

When the gripper arrived, I was very pleased to find that they sent me a new HG300 AND a HG350 as a gift! This HG300 seems up to par. I can't move it much farther than my BBE, but I can't move either very far, so i don't even know how to rate it. I didn't even open the HG350. I'll save that one for a rainy day.

Great service all the way through. It's great that they stand behind their product.

Never noticed you had a log here Matt. That's cool about the HGs, sounds like you have a good tough 300 now.

Hey Paul! I stopped logging for a while, but now I will be more consistent!