Teemu's Grip Log

Teemu I

Friday 23.5.2008

Grippers, max MMS attempts:

- each attempt is taken on video, so the estimates on the missed distance are pretty accurate

1. 201 lbs #4, missed distance on each single:

5mm -setting took too long

2 mm -PR, good and fast set

3 mm -forced in and held at 1mm briefly

Then on to a gripper with a tougher sweep, but easier calibrated rating.

2. 197 lbs BBSE, missed distance on each single:

2 mm -PR, never had better attempts on the BBSE

1 mm -another PR I guess, but the video went to shit as I had moved so much during the set that I could not tell whether the set was parallel or not. A result of psyching up too much. But the result could have been worse. According to the time of showing nothing but a white door on the video after the gripper suddenly explodes open, yes, literally explodes, I was out for 20 seconds. I had really passed out and collapsed on my back. I was just lucky not to hit my head on a pile of weights I have on a loading pin, or a kettlebell lying on the floor. :whacked I don't know how, but I had apparantly taken the fall with my elbows, I have good marks to show for it. Like I said, just a good luck I did not got hurt badly for a one lousy gripper PR I was so determined to get. A lesson: they are just grippers and I will close them when I'm strong enough, I will not get that intensely psyched up and end up loosing my consciousness because of the heavy breathing and holding the breath during the attempt. I have taken pride in my ability to giving each attempt everything I got, but now I just blame myself for beeing stupid. Really stupid. One lousy gripper close is not that important. :angry:

I just called this a day after this incident, no point doing more. :whacked

Edited by Teemu I

I did not get to doing attempts with the left hand, but I still feel sort of dizzy so I'll just drop it all for today. :flame

I've browned out like that a few times on grippers Teemu. Worst 2 times: I ended up on my butt at the AZCG comp, and 2nd one was doing KTA negs while driving home from work. I never did negs again while driving after that. Luckily I came back around before I crashed.

So your not alone.

- Aaron

Glad to hear you are ok mate. Welldone on the PRs though.

I've browned out like that a few times on grippers Teemu. So your not alone.

- Aaron

Me too. I felt dizzy for ovr an hour after my #4 attempts at the British.

Yeah, good to know I'm not the only crazy one here! :D This was my worst experience on the stuff like this so far. I have dropped on my knees while doing severe negs with extended handle grippers a few times, but those times did not scare me like this. I'm still a bit shaky. By the time my girlfriend comes home today, she can't help but notice my bloody elbows and I know the reaction when she finds out what I've been doing..shit storm is on the way! :D

Damn, you guys are training too hard! :blink

I would be really curious to see what my BP and HR went up to on one of those brownout attempts. I think it might be surprising.

- Aaron

Probably so. :D

I would be really curious to see what my BP and HR went up to on one of those brownout attempts. I think it might be surprising.

- Aaron

I tested mine once after a heavy gripper session, it was 190/110, lol.

teemu are you feeling any better now?

Edited by CoC#3

Sam, thanks for asking, still a bit dizzy but getting much better already. :)

someone was watching over you it seems!

take time to recover all the way

I've browned out like that a few times on grippers Teemu. Worst 2 times: I ended up on my butt at the AZCG comp, and 2nd one was doing KTA negs while driving home from work. I never did negs again while driving after that. Luckily I came back around before I crashed.

So your not alone.

- Aaron

Iv'e browned out during gripper training also. . . . . it sent me running alwardly to the bathroom, oh. . . ya'll are talking about something else.

Seriously though, Teemu I'm glad your feeling better. Must be more carefull next time.

Thanks guys, I will certainly not get that psyched up next time. :)

So your not alone.

- Aaron

Huh how can you set negatives properly while driving?

i must say it was danger , very happy u didnt hurt seriously ...

my point : it was just a gripper but your desire was huge and u put 101% of your energy into it! i dont blame u , u are a great warrior and it can happend again , so what?

protecting to much its like not giving your "heart in a battle" .. obviously acting with causion its very important but thinking to much about not to get hurt its like acting like a robot!

only 1 week left ... damm! i am suffering ... what can make a difference now with so little time left?

- a good connection with the power u have inside u ... spiritual stuff:-)

"NEGATIVES while working"

damm it was real INTENSE! i dont buy it!:-))

Thanks Hugo, it remains to be seen whether I get it done so quickly, but I will try my hardest as my instinct says I should have the strength for it, just need a true 100% day to come, to really feel I got the sharp edge going on again on the crush.

You don't have to worry whether I start to fear, I meant just to be more careful about my breath holding. :) It doesn't mean I will not try hard.

Well Teemu, it sound like your near death experience has given you an epiphany, but what is it exactly? What is the lesson learned or am I spouting metaphysical nonsense?

So your not alone.

- Aaron

Easy, I got Skillz. :rock

What you've never steered with your knee while doing negs? You havent lived yet man.

- Aaron

Well Teemu, it sound like your near death experience has given you an epiphany, but what is it exactly? What is the lesson learned or am I spouting metaphysical nonsense?
Nonsense? :) No, it really made me think about how important (or non-important) things like these gripper closes are after all. While still set on the goals I have, I realized I can afford to enjoy the training while I'm doing it, no need to psyche up for it so intensely and so often. I began to think that I should be having more fun as well, I haven't had fun training for a long time, I've just lived to my goals and been dead serious about them. This still doesn't have to mean taking it too easy and not to make progress. Hard to explain! Edited by Teemu I

So your not alone.

- Aaron

What you've never steered with your knee while doing negs? You havent lived yet man.

- Aaron

Skillz! :D That's what I call making the most out of your time! :rock

Edited by Teemu I

Nonsense? :) No, it really made me think about how important (or non-important) things like these gripper closes are after all. While still set on the goals I have, I realized I can afford to enjoy the training while I'm doing it, no need to psyche up for it so intensely and so often. I began to think that I should be having more fun as well, I haven't had fun training for a long time, I've just lived to my goals and been dead serious about them. This still doesn't have to mean taking it too easy and not to make progress. Hard to explain!

I think I understand what you are saying. Your perspective has changed on why you actually use grippers and like you, I find that when I am enjoying myself and having fun while staying focused on objectives, my performance improves. I had that with my rugby season this year. I chilled out after the first few games, stopped over analzing everything and just enjoyed myself. I played so much better and loved playing again. I realize I didn't have the blinding flash of 'what just happened' as you did, but am I understanding where you are coming from?

How are you this morning? Do you feel any different to normal?

Nonsense? :) No, it really made me think about how important (or non-important) things like these gripper closes are after all. While still set on the goals I have, I realized I can afford to enjoy the training while I'm doing it, no need to psyche up for it so intensely and so often. I began to think that I should be having more fun as well, I haven't had fun training for a long time, I've just lived to my goals and been dead serious about them. This still doesn't have to mean taking it too easy and not to make progress. Hard to explain!

I think I understand what you are saying. Your perspective has changed on why you actually use grippers and like you, I find that when I am enjoying myself and having fun while staying focused on objectives, my performance improves. I had that with my rugby season this year. I chilled out after the first few games, stopped over analzing everything and just enjoyed myself. I played so much better and loved playing again. I realize I didn't have the blinding flash of 'what just happened' as you did, but am I understanding where you are coming from?

Yes, certainly a changed perspective. I think I will reach my goals with more patient approach. I also have to draw a line between my training max and test max. Can't go all out all the time.
How are you this morning? Do you feel any different to normal?
Sam, thanks for asking buddy! I would say I'm doing fine. :)

So your not alone.

- Aaron

- Aaron

Haha you're crazy man. I can't even think of myself driving beingt the state I am while I'm doing neg's.