• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ArchRaid

• acorn

• don chi

• unseenbeat

Not yet...Might do it today or tomorrow. I was going to do it online at wwfitness.com. Has anyone used this site when ordering grippers? They pretty reliable?

KTA rules, it is how I started and got the 3 closed.

Haha...just got back from the gym. Quite a workout...but the best part was when I handed this 235 pound guy the #2. This guy reps 315 on squat, just did 345 on bench...he's a big guy. He got it parallel then asked me if I could close it. Of course I had to try and me being on KTA I am supposed to try and try again. I chalked up...and BAM closed and held it there. He was like...damn! I barely got it closed with the left hand as well...so I closed it with both hands now. WOO WOO! :rock .

Edited by Jake

6/13/2006:

Ordered the BBSM from wwfitness.com yesterday night. He emailed and said it would be mailed tomorrow. Definitely looking forward to this gripper. Hopefully I can get it alittle past parallel.

I am picking up my 4x4 block with weight on it one time each day. I know on KTA you aren't supposed to do other grip work, but I am substituting one thumb thing for the block. I am gonna try and get up to 35 or 40 pounds on one hand.

I realized I REALLY like chalk when doing grippers. It makes it much more predictable and consistant. I only have 2 days left of the first week of phase 2. Hands are still holding up good. Like I said before I start incorporating some wooden 4x4 block holds too (just one hold per day), nothing much. Today I did 30lbs per hand (a month ago I could barely budge it off the ground...now I am holding it for 5 seconds =). I also will do one leveraging per day with the 8 lb sledge. I am starting slow with that and am doing the leverage with my hand half way up on the handle.

6/15/2006:

Word,

Still haven't received the BBSM. Today I closed the #2 and held it for 5 seconds right hand...Left hand it just barely touched, but I couldn't hold it. I do my max attempts at the gym where I can use chalk but the rest I do at home. I came home after the gym with alittle bit of chalk still on my hands...went over to my block weight and picked it up (35 lbs attached) left and right. I was like...what the hell. So I put on 40lbs...picked it up with left and then right hand easy. I put on 45lbs. Picked it up with the left :rock and almost got it with the right...chalk has been doing me wonders :blink . I tried pinching 2 25's the other day when I went to play it again sports...I only broke the ground with them...didn't get them up by any means. I wonder if I had this wonder chalk if I could do 2 25's :rolleyes .

Today is also the last day of the week I am on in KTA. I am starting to develop a very nice callous(sp) on my left pinky along with the ridges where the gripper braces in my palm and people are giving me weird looks when I go into the gym with my #2 < < . I handed it to another person today...he might get the trainer. He said he needs to build up his forearms strength. Good times.

Nah, it hasn't come in the mail yet. Hoping it will come monday, but who knows. I am looking forward to doing negatives on it :rock. I hope I can do the #2 2 or 3 times at the end of this KTA cycle. Then I will take it easy on my hands for a bit...Of course starting another KTA cycle up trying to close the BBSM :mosher. That one will be rough because I will have to do some negatives with the new 3 inch spread #3.

I suppose once I get the BBSM in the mail...my goal gripper will be the #2, since I can close the #1 10 solid times pretty easily without the miracle chalk LOL. I might file alittle bit of the #1 just to get stronger on that last little bit. Not sure yet though...I shall keep ya'll posted.

You will definitely get the BBSM by Monday. I received mine in about 5 days. Good workouts dude, you're making some excellent progress!

6/17/2006:

Just got done with day one of this weeks workout. Hands feel pretty good. I did the hard stuff at the gym using chalk. I got the #2 closed the first time with the chalk...I couldn't close it any other times, had to force close them. I came home after that and picked up that 4x4 pinch block with 45lbs on it again...I still can't get it with my right hand, I broke the floor though. I finished up the rest of the day. I then attempted the #3 to see where I was at...Parallel...I would say about an inch apart. That is going to be a rough inch to get :blink . I did some leveraging with the 8lb sledge after that. I held it about 7 inches up from the bottom of the sledge and did some leveraging...haven't attempted a max on it yet (don't want to screw up my wrists).

Jake, I was thinking about starting a KTA cycle today, and was wondering if you did any of the pinch or levering work while you were on your cycle. If you did, was there any issues?

Aaron

Hey acorn,

the first 5 weeks I didn't do any pinch or leveraging. When I started phase 2, I started incorporating just alittle pinch and leveraging to strengthen the hand/wrist structure. When I say alittle, I mean maybe one leverage and one pinch a day (usually maxes on the pinch but the leveraging I am getting used to). I have been doing extesnor work religiously and I am up to the yellow band for 3 sets of 10. I have heard that if you do much of anything else while on KTA it overtrains you pretty good. Since this is my first cycle...I am trying not to overdo it...Haha...trying not to overdo it on KTA :tongue .

I read your training log..looks good man and I noticed you started the KTA using the #2 for the left and the BBSM for the right...very nice. You'll get those in no time...just keep in mind that while you are on it you won't be 100%. However, when you hit the 100%...you will be like...what in the hell, how did I just do that, that's insane!

I have been craving some hang cleans lately. I do them every wednesday...now I can't wait to do some more. However, I am having to stretch out my wrists and fingers to do them because it puts alot of pressure on my wrists, makes them sore. I have read it will go away in about 2 or 3 months, but it still sucks. I am still getting the form down so I am staying around 135lbs. I tried 185 and couldn't get it up (probably due to lack of confidence). I also push 135 over my head, so it's like a hang clean and jerk :blink . Good times.

6/18/2006:

Just got done working out. Did chest/biceps/abs. Good stuff. The biceps got my forearms alittle tired, not much though. Just enough where the #2 wouldn't close. I can't even tell how close it was I just saw a small gap between the handles. I measured the distances on all my grippers today. My filed Trainer is 3 inches, #1 is 2 and 7/8th, #2 is 2 and 7/8th, and my #3 is a good 3 inches. I measured how far I could close the #3 and yep, I am 1 inch off. I wasn't able to pick up the 4x4 block with 45lbs on it today, but I completely leveraged a 8lb sledge. I was happy about that. Still working with the yellow extensor bands 3 sets of 10. That's pretty much it.

6/19/2006:

Wasn't feeling it very much today. I got through the workout, but it was a struggle. Didn't get the #2 closed at all yesterday.

6/20/2006:

Alright...kicked some ass today. Got the #2 closed for a double with the right hand! Very awesome! The left hand almost got it closed a few times. I closed the #2 everytime I attempted it except for one (the last one). The rest of them...very solid. I also closed the #1 14 times (PR) right handed. Didn't try my best on the left hand. I am still trying to figure out how to hold the thing...it still seems awkward. I picked up the 45lb 4x4 block with the left hand and broke it off the ground with the right :rock . I leveraged an 8lb sledge with the right and almost got it with the left.

Good day!

6/21/2006:

I still haven't received my BBSM...maybe he shipped it to my billing address. Not sure yet. I just got done with playing some raquetball and closing the #2 a few times. There is a guy I know at the gym that is trying to walk onto the Clemson University football team. He is pretty big. Last time I saw him working out he was squatting 450 for reps and deadlifting 405 for reps of about 10 or so, power cleaning around 300. He's a big guy in my opinion. I handed him the #2...he looked at it and was like, is this one of those mash monster things? I said, nah, this is alot easier than the mash monster things :rolleyes . He was like, alright...then he gave it a try. Parallel. He asked if he could use both hands... I said sure. So he got it closed with both hands and held it almost shut for about 4 seconds. Pretty good for someone who doesn't train grip. He of course inquired if I could close it. So I did. Priceless :rock .

I came home...picked up the 45lb 4x4 with my left hand...couldn't budge it with the right. It's all good. I will lower the weight tomorrow and try to get both hands.

6/25/2006:

I have been partying quite a bit lately. Still getting the workouts in though :) . I just started the 7th week. Gonna be a good time, I can already tell. I am definitely getting more consistant with closing the #2. I barely clicked it together with the left hand but I couldn't hold it. The right hand was solidly closed. My BBSM has arrived, but it was sent to my billing address and not the shipping address. No big deal, I should be getting it tuesday when I go home for a few minutes. I will try it wednesday at the gym :rock

I dropped the weight on the pinch grip 4x4 to 35lb:

8 second hold both hands

5 second hold both hands

and then I just picked it up at the end of the workout

Leveraged 8lb sledge with the right, couldn't get it with the left. Threw it around a few times.

Extensor bands:

Green 15, 10

Yellow 5

All of this extra stuff I am just throwing it in there when my hands feel good. It doesn't seem to overtrain the forearms too much while on KTA.

6/26/2006:

Alright...last night, I sort of dislocated my shoulder playing some raquetball. Now when I squeeze the grippers hard (like trying to close the #2) it hurts up in my shoulder because I am flexing my bicep/tricep as well. I am going to have to take it easy on the KTA program because of this :(:angry: . On a lighter note, I should be getting that BBSM tomorrow, however I can't try it for a while. I was thinking of trying to maintain by doing the trainer and #1 for alittle bit. Just gonna take a few days to heal up and I should be good. Sucks

6/30/2006:

I went to the doctor for my shoulder to get an X ray and make sure everything is healing up correctly on my Shoulder. He said that I most likely didn't dislocate it, but almost did. He told me to lay off of it for 2 weeks or so. So...that same day I went to the lake and jumped off a 20 foot rock :D . I hit a rock when I went into the water and tore the skin off the top of my foot :yikes . Then played raquetball, only using the left arm (sometimes catching myself using the right :dry ), good times. The grip will continue back up strong with the left hand tomorrow, but the right hand I am going to try to take it easy on it. I still have to do week 7.

I have received the BBSM...I can get it alittle more than parallel. I haven't take it to the gym and tried it with chalk or after working out because of the shoulder. I am still inconsistant on the #2 with closing it, but it seems to be getting better. :rock

• 2 weeks later...

7/11/2006:

Hmmm...haven't written in a while. My shoulder is still bothering me to the point where I don't want to do much upperbody work. Today was my first day back to the gym in 2 weeks or so. I could definitely tell that my shoulder was getting tired. I just played around with some weights to see where I was at...

Grip related:

I kind of messed up the KTA program...I haven't been on the program for those 2 weeks because I couldn't close with my full force due to the shoulder injury. I have been playing with the #1 quite a bit...So anyway, I go into the gym today with my BBSM and my #2. I first chalk up and close the #2...whoa way too easy :rock . Both hands I do this. Felt as though I could have done 2 or 3 more reps with it.

I move onto the BBSM after a small break. Chalk up, pick it up with the right hand...get it very very close to closing with the right hand (my friend was like, what in the hell man, where did that come from). My left hand was alittle farther off, but I should have that BBSM at some point in the near future :D .

For my parttime job while taking a college class, I am a mail courier. So, I take all the folders I deliver and hold them pinch style everywhere I walk. You wanna talk about a workout. That is rough stuff, it isn't much weight, but carrying them for 30 or 40 minutes straight is rough on the thumbs :) .

Right on Jake, glad to see your back and recovering. If your that close with the BBSM it won't take long. I got mine for 3 singles on the right yesterday.

- Aaron

That's awesome man, I hope to be there at some point. Then it will be onward to the #3 from there. What a ride it will be to close the #3.

7/17/2006:

Well...I started up another cycle at the KTA program. This time both my hands will be trying for the #2 (to dominate it :rock ). I have the BBSM to do negatives with and the #1 to do overcrushes. I shall keep doing some extensor band workouts and thumb stuff. Ever once in a while I will do some sledge leveraging.

My new goal for the next month when working out is to get a 6 pack. I am only going to try to do this for a month. I already have the 6 pack, but it just isn't showing. I am going to be doing cardio for about 30 minutes daily, fullbody workout 3 days a week and abs pretty regularly. No eating after 7 pm except for the protein shake at bedtime. The diet I suppose should play a large role in this, but I am simply going to say that I shall eat better than I am. For half of this month I am going to be home where I can get some good homecooked meals :yikes . I am going for 2 proteins shakes a day, around 50-60 grams of protein per shake. I weigh 180, so I would assume that I could get 60-80 grams of protein in what I eat throughout the day. Small meals.

Cardio consists of biking, rowing, and marine PT training (roommate taught me some stuff). I have a bad knee, so I don't think running could be in there. Working out very fast, made my workout buddy sick feeling today from going so fast :erm . Working all the major muscle groups with reps of 12.

• 2 months later...

Forgot about this log...

I am on phase 1, week 2 of KTA. This is my second day of week 2. So far this KTA cycle has been up and down, most likely do to the fact that Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I am doing a German Volume Training cycle. Example...today, I did 10 sets of 10 on Hang clean with only 95 pounds. By the end of the cycle my forearms could barely hold the bar since I was throwing it up on my shoulders and then dropping it back down repeatedly. This has led to a poor performance in grippers today, still getting them done though.

I obviously won't be able to post KTA workouts in here, but I will let you know of any PR's:

Right: Close #2 on most days, got the BBSM I have down to 1/2" or 1/4" few days ago.

Left: Close #2 on optimal days, BBSM is alittle over an inch.

Extensor bands: Yellow for 7 sets of 10 (trying to work into blue, that thing is hard)

Pony clamp: I can close it with both thumbs, but get a little more than half way with one.

Goals for 2006:

- Close BBSM both hands

- extend Blue band for 10 reps

Sledge, wrist roller, 4x4 pinch block, weights are at home (I am at college...graduating in December...woo wooo!). I might go and get those, if nothing else, pick up the sledge. I know I am not supposed to do much while on KTA...but I figure 2 or 3 leverages 2 or 3 times a week wouldn't hurt too bad.

Hope I keep up with this log...

phase 1, week 2, day 3 - Felt weak due to my sweaty hands and the fact that KTA does that to ya, not worried about it though, kept on. My last set incorporated the #3, definitely alittle farther away from this thing than I thought.

Pony clamp - found a new way to do them (put it on the table edge and use the table edge as a lever and put the thumb on the top of the clamp, try to only use your thumb though)

Still yellow bands - workin on blue!