Jake's Log

ArchRaid

Hey,

Here's some background:

I am 5'10", 185 pounds, 21 years old, 7.5" hands and I live in Clemson, SC (Clemson University). I have been lifting about 1.5 to 2 years pretty regularly. I received the Trainer and the #1 in the mail last sunday 4/16/2006. I could close the trainer out of the package and was VERY close to closing the #1.

I closed the #1 on 4/20/2006. I am now pretty consistant at closing the thing with the right hand, I am still working on the left hand (very close though). I developed a 4x4 pinch grip block that I screwed an eye bolt into and used a rope to attach the weight (the rope only holds 75# though :( ) I also made a wrist roller out of 1.5" PVC pipe and the same rope. I need to buy a rolling thunder or go get a 2.5" PVC pipe and create something alittle more challenging for "thickbar" one handed stuff.

4/21/2006: I ordered the #2 from Ironmind. I am awaiting its arrival. I know I won't be able to close it all the way, but I will use it to further my #1 training. After I close the #2, I am going to get a BBSM (isn't that the one between a #2 and a #3?) and the #3. I have been doing extensor work using rubber bands around the office from the beginning after reading posts on here. I need to get a sledge and do more plate wrist curls to strengthen my wrists (I have a feeling that is my weakest point so far). I am not sure if this is only going to be a grip log or not. I might post some of my PR's.

So far, I have only had two alright workouts and the rest is just playing around with them. It was pavel's ladder, I did it with the trainer:

4/18/2006: I did 1 each hand, 2 each hand, 3 each hand, 4 each hand, 5 each hand. Then I started over at 1 each hand. I did this 4 times in a row to add up to 60 full reps of the trainer in about 35 minutes. After this I attempted the #1 5 times each hand (coming very close each time). Extensor work with rubber bands.

Pinch block: 25# each hand, 10 seconds each, 3 reps. I then put on 35#. I broke it off the floor but that was it (felt good because my roommate couldn't even break it off the floor :cool ). I two hand pinched 35# for about 30-40 seconds, good burn. I need to move up in weight on the pinchin, but I am concentrating mostly on grippers at this point.

Wrist roller: 25# up and down 3 times for 2 reps, just getting used to everything.

4/19/2006: Rest (very hard to do, alot of disciple not to pick those things up and have fun)

4/20/2006: Closed the #1 for the first time. Did it 7 times throughout the day (I bring them to the internship I am at). Did another ladder with the trainer only doing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Did this twice each hand.

Pinch block: 25# each hand for 10 seconds, 2 reps.

wrist roller: none

4/21/2006: Hands sore, resting.

4/22/2006: Hands still sore, resting.

Hope to keep ya'll up to do date,

Jake

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ArchRaid

• acorn

• don chi

• unseenbeat

What kind of lifting have you been doing man? What are some goals grip-wise you have in mind aside from the grippers?

I have been lifting for bench press, squat, deadlift mainly. PR's are 275 max on Bench, 315 max on squat, 315 10 times on deadlift, I haven't maxed on hang cleans but I do 135 about 8 times. I just started running this past week to get in shape for summer. Gotta get that 6 pack to show for the ladies. :cool

As of now I am doing a full body workout 3 times a week, M, W, F, and I am running, biking, rowing, each of those days (depends on what I feel like doing at the time). I have one protein shake a day (might up it to two) with a multivitamin.

Long term Grip goals besides the grippers:

Blob (if I can get my hands on one)

Pinch 2 45's (my gym has weird weights so I can't use those)

plate curl 45 (gonna be really hard)

I might start bending at some point.

Eventually, the inch dumbbell.

rip a pack of cards in half would be pretty nice

Short term grip goals:

#1 10 times

#2 close

pinch block 40 pounds one handed

wrist roll - haven't maxed out on this, might do that tonight and see where I am at.

get a 8# sledge and start leveraging.

I need to develop something that I can wrap around the weights at my gym for thickbar stuff. I have been using gloves at the gym only to help with my grip.

4/23/2006:

Trainer - 5x2 each hand (warm up)

Workout:

#1 close x 5 each hand (Hands are starting to toughen up, no blisters or anything)

#1 negative x 2 both hands 7 seconds each (definitely a challenge)

Trainer overcrushes 10 seconds each hand x 2

Pinch block:

attempt 35#

25# each hand for 10 seconds x 1

50# two hand pinch for 10 seconds x 3

Wrist roller:

attempt at 50# (PVC is slick...going to go and by some athletic tape to help with that)

35# x 2 (up and down)

Plate curls:

2 10's pinched x 10 x 3

What does everyone think about this type of workout? I am going to do the extensor workout tomorrow while at work.

Jake, it looks like you're off to a great start ! I've gotten quite a few of the guys at work into gripping and especially younger ones like yourself can make really quick progress.

You may be able to progress quickly to the #2, but in my experience your LH may lag behind. I think you'll find the BBSA (nicely inbetween the #1 and #2) to be very useful, and for quite a long time.

I'll check in here from time to time and after you build a foundation for a few weeks I'll recommend that you start overcrushes and then negative crushes.

For pinching, a cheap approach is to check area Play it Again Sports and find 4 ten older 10 pound plates that aren't too slick and too pinch them and hold them. If this is too hard, pinch 3 tens and you can microload by taping small weights to the sides of the plates.

Test that 8# sledge before you buy it and it you need to choke way way up on the handle to lever it, you may want a 6# instead. You can always add weight to the end of a 6#er as you get stronger.

Looking good here .. neilkaz ..

4/25/2006:

Closed my friends HG200 the first time I touched it, felt pretty good =).

Few #1 closes, no workout. I am saving the workout for tomorrow.

4/26/2006:

Store bought: 10x

Trainer: 5x

Workout:

#1: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 each hand

#1: 10 sec negative 2 times each hand

Trainer: 10 sec Overcrush 2 times each hand

Pinch Block:

25# each hand for 10 seconds, 2 sets

50# two hand pinch for 15 seconds, 2 sets

Wrist roller:

25# 2 up downs front, 2 up downs back

Plate wrist curls:

10# 10 times x 2 sets

25# two hand 10 times x 1 set

Finished up with a close of the #1 both hands. I am still awaiting my #2 gripper to arrive. It should arrive around next monday. I look forward to a challenge :cool

4/27/2006:

Bought a 8# Sledge Hammer for some leveraging. I played around with it last night alittle bit, nothing significant.

No grip work last night. Left pinky has a small ache in the first joint from the end of it. Nothing bad though. Still lookin forward to getting that #2 around monday :cool

4/28/2006:

Hit some golf balls at the driving range...first time ever. Definitely messed with my left wrist.

4/29/2006:

Did my regular full body workout. Started working on core strength.

Store bought gripper: 10x each hand

Trainer: 5x each hand

Workout:

#1: 1, 1, 2 reps each hand

Tr: 5x each hand

store bought: 10x each hand

4/30/2006:

Rest

5/1/2006:

Got my #2 in the mail today. Can close it to about | | or so.

Warmup:

Workout:

#1: 1, 1, 1 each hand

Overcrushes: Trainer 2x 10 seconds each hand

Pinch block:

30# got it left hand 3x, not right hand. Broke the ground with it right hand 3x. (made me feel good that my roommate couldn't even budge it :rock )

Wrist roller:

30# up and down both sides of the forearm

Sledge hammer:

Leveraged every different way. Definitely an interesting workout. First one of these I did.

Wrist roller:

25#: 2 up downs for each side of the forearm

Burned out on the trainer:

Left hand: 15x

Right hand: 13x

Attempt at the #1...could only get it parallel :mosher

This #2 is going to be a good time to try and accomplish. It can be done.

5/2/2006:

Mainly rested

5/3/2006:

Hands feel kind of tired. I am going to be playing alittle bit of golf this afternoon. Other than that, I am going to wait till tomorrow for a good workout.

5/04/2006:

Workout:

#1: 1, 1, 1, 2 each hand

Negative with #1 for 10 seconds each hand

Trainer overcrushes for 10 seconds each hand

Attempt at choked #2: choked alittle out from parallel (bought the hose clamp too big)

Pinch Block:

30# attempt each hand

25#x2 both hands

Wrist roller:

25# up down x 2 x 2

Plate wrist curls:

10#x 10 times x 2 sets

8# Sledge Leveraging: All sides, all ways

Finished up with the trainer 5x each hand

Good times

5/5/2006:

Rest

5/6/2006:

Rest

5/7/2006:

Warmup:

Store bought: 10x

Trainer: 10x

Workout:

#1: 1, 1, 2, 2

Overcrush the Trainer for 10 seconds x 2 each hand

#1: 1, 1, 1, 1

I am starting to split up the pinch block, wrist roller, plate curls, and sledge on a different day than grippers so I can devote alot more to grippers. I have the Mastery of Hand Strength on the way along with the extensor bands from Ironmind.

Just got KTA :rock ...look forward to doing some cycles on it. I hear it is rough but if you can stick with it you will gain alot :whacked . I have been conditioning my hands for the past 3 weeks...probably not long enough, but we shall see. My goal gripper is going to be #2. Should be a entertaining ride :blink

Read over the KTA and realized I need alittle more hand conditioning before I start. So, today I closed the #1 for 5 seconds every 30 minutes starting at 7:30 am for a total of 18 singles throughout the day. I think I even threw in a single of my friends HG200 as well. I will rest tomorrow and continue this workout friday. My hands feel great. Already looking forward to friday's workout.

Started KTA yesterday (Saturday, 5/13/2006). Wasn't too bad...already realizing that I can almost close my #2. about | | off from closing it. I should get it pretty fast on the KTA program. :cool.

5/16/2006:

Howdy. Just finished day 4 of the KTA program. Hands feel pretty good. They are starting to blister alittle bit, but nothing bad.

I just got a shipment in today from Ironmind. I got extensor bands, which I will incorporate into my workout, Mastery of Hand strength, and COC #3. You guys weren't kidding when you say the #3 is hard :blink . I can't even get it close to parallel. Oh well, something to shoot for in the future :mosher .

• 2 weeks later...

5/24/2006:

I have one more day of week 2 of the KTA program. I am enjoying the challenge. I have been doing 3x10 extensors with the white bands after every workout. I plan on moving that up to the green pretty soon. I have noticed that my right hand is starting to become stronger at a quicker pace than my left hand. I am pretty sure that it is a technique problem. I can't seen to hold the grippers as good with the left hand than I can with my right hand. Been trying to work on it. I finally figured out how to set the gripper good...only took me a month :blink . I am pretty close to closing the #2 with each hand. I believe that if I were to take a 2 to 3 day break from grippers I could come back and close that #2, but I am not going to try it.

My first goal gripper was the #1 (I needed to get better at closing it for reps)...but now I can close it no problem. I picked it up this morning and closed it 5 times like it was nothing :rock . I might have to file down the #1 and start overcrushing it at some point in this workout. I am definitely going to do strapholds with the #1. I never thought grip training could be so much fun...I'm sure that will change as I progress into KTA.

• 2 weeks later...

6/2/2006:

This past wednesday I seemed to have pulled my middle finger alittle bit. Hurts to touch it....not too bad but I don't want to overdo it. I think it is the tendon on the first knuckle. It is getting better so I am gonna pick up again on saturday. I am so close to the #2. :angry: I'll get it though. I might go ahead and order the BBSM to get a feel for it. The #1 is now been dominated pretty good...always a good feeling. I accidently picked it up yesterday thinking it was the #2 (I didn't check the bottom) and close it very hard with a loud CLICK. As you can imagine I was wondering what the hell...then realized. It sucked. I'll get it though!

6/3/2006:

I just started the 4th week of KTA. Hands feel great. Still can't close the #2 all the way, but that isn't my goal gripper either...just something that might happen as a result of having the #1 as my goal gripper :cool . the Next few weeks are going to be rough...I can already tell. I am definitely getting the hang of setting the grippers and my left hand is getting consistant with where it is being placed...so that is good (especially for the skin in my palm...doesn't wear it down as much).

Only one more day of week 4...I am SOOO Close to the #2 it isn't even funny. Definitely excited about it...hard to not pick up the #2 and keep trying it over and over again. I am starting to get my Shiny new #3 worked alittle bit standing on it LOL...I haven't been able to close the thing...even standing on it :cool. Definitely need to order the BBSM for the next cycle of KTA. I might order the BBSM and the BBE together to save on shipping.

6/11/2006:

I started phase 2 yesterday :blink . I also oiled up my new #3 which I can get parallel at this point but nothing more. That thing is rough to season, I tell you what. I finally just started hopping up and down on it with shoes on to open and close it haha. I can't close it all the way with both hands yet, but I can get very close. I still haven't ordered the BBSM, but am definitely planning on doing it soon. I can't close the #2 yet...so very close. I can close it if I brace it with other thumb. I'm sure by the end of this KTA cycle I will be doin the #2. the #1 at this point has been destroyed...I did it the other night about 10 times :rock . I need to grind it down and start overcrushing it. Next time I go home I will do this, so it will probably be a few weeks or so.

I have been working with grippers for 2 months now. When I got the trainer and #1...I couldn't close the #1, now I am repping it 10 times. So progress has definitely been made :cool .

Hell yeah...I went and did chest/triceps today. I took my #2 to see what kind of a difference there would be with chalk. I chalked up...picked it up...set it...and BAM closed it and held it closed for 5 seconds. My friend was like...What in the hell. I let him try it...he paralleled it. I picked it up again and bam...closed and held for 5 seconds. Of course I started smiling quite a bit. I tried with the left hand...I am so close it isn't even funny. I will take it back tomorrow and do it again.