The Global Grip Challenge 2006

smitty

That is how it fell into place this year - The BLOB event is specially dedicated to Richard Sorin and 2 Hand pinch is the standard and contested Worldwide.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Too Tall

• Jedd Johnson

• climber511

• madss

Also these events seem to largely in favor of people with big hands. Three out of the five events are set up for large hands. One event would be fine but three of them seems like to many.

Just wandering. :inno

Also these events seem to largely in favor of people with big hands. Three out of the five events are set up for large hands. One event would be fine but three of them seems like to many.

There are 2 hand divisions are you will be competing against your peers of similar hand size.

There are 2 hand divisions are you will be competing against your peers of similar hand size.

The only problem is that even if you are in the small hand division you are still screwed :) because you have guys like Tommy H. and Scott George, not to mention a whole lot of guys I can't think of right now. :bow

I think I will have to make this one no matter what. Looks to be the event of the year at least.

Ironmind has an invite to CoC's on their webpage.

I have to risk the 'weakest hands' award because I am only an hour away from Irmo. :) You don't pass up a chance to meet LEGENDS.

How about letting a guy from overseas get over and compete.. :whistel Those tickets are just waaaay too expensive! Seems like i have to miss out on this already great event!

How about letting a guy from overseas get over and compete.. :whistel Those tickets are just waaaay too expensive! Seems like i have to miss out on this already great event!

I will pay $25 towards it. Not redeemable for any other purpose. :tongue

Hubgeezer

I will pay $25 towards it. Not redeemable for any other purpose. :tongue

Hubgeezer

Ha! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Being new to the gripboard, what better to learn some stuff by getting beaten at a huge grip competition, I'll be signing up today!

Being new to the gripboard, what better to learn some stuff by getting beaten at a huge grip competition, I'll be signing up today!

Look forward to meeting you Chuck, you're going to have a blast! Please take note new Board members and lurkers, competing is where it's at!

• 3 weeks later...

Been training for the Blob loading event. This is going to be unlike any other individual grip event I ever did. Very demanding!

-Jedd-

Been training for the Blob loading event. This is going to be unlike any other individual grip event I ever did. Very demanding!

-Jedd-

Yes,

I will second that :whacked Will be fun...but you better go with the blob 50 first if you want to have the energy :whacked

• 2 weeks later...

GGC Events:

1. Max Effort Gripper Close – Each Hand – Credit Card set

2. 2 Hand Pinch

3. Vbar

4. BLOB Load Medley

5. Rolling Thunder for Reps

1. With the CC set rule – I think an Elite close will be a darn good one. Might be an SE closed but not many. Several #3 closers won’t close it here with these rules.

2. 2 hand pinch should go – 230# large and 220# small – the Diesel boys Euro setup is now a year old and should be seasoned beautifully by now.

3. V-Bar – gonna take 375 # to win this one at least. LGC V-Bar so no arguments there. If Richard Sorin doesn’t have certified plates, then no one does so that should be covered as well.

4. Blob Load – I think a couple guys could possibly get 10 points in large – 7 or 8 for small hands. This is going to be a very hard event – a Blob by the face is unreal but after everything else – WOW. But Chad did it post contest in NC even on Richards hard Blob so we’ll see. If it’s Richards Original Blob – not too many will get it even by the top.

5. Rolling Thunder for reps – it will take 50 to win it and possibly 35 to place but this one could really fool me –I'm basing this on me and my handle and my handle is older – a new one could make a huge difference – or not? I predict a couple guys going up and down like a pogo stick on this one.

The show is going to be Jedd, Chad, and David Thorton. Should be a great match up – I have no doubt they have all trained for this and they are all real competitors when things get started. Small hands will be the Tommy show again unless someone new shows up that I don’t know about. Second place however should be a real good battle, I just hope I'm in it. I have heard rumors of a rule where Tommy has to use special chalk – er – grease for his attempts. Perhaps we have a chance if that’s true. Now don’t you all go getting all serious on me here – this post is meant to start some “trash talk” about the GGC. It’s going to be a great time and sounds like I’ll get to meet half the grip heroes in the US. So let’s hear how close you think I am on my predictions – it’s all in fun anyway!! :whistel

3. V-Bar – gonna take 375 # to win this one at least. LGC V-Bar so no arguments there. If Richard Sorin doesn’t have certified plates, then no one does so that should be covered as well.

Needless to say, we need the same verification as for any other competition if the organiser whats the results to be recognised on the record list.

This means posting details of the calibration, renting a certified scale or taking the weights to a place where they have a certified scale. Unfortunately there are no 1'' certified plates to buy so we have to do this for record purposes.

My point was that Richard probably has certified plates - those don't have to be weighed. Something like Ivanko Competition or whatever.

Never heard of any 1'' certified weights (suitable for vbar). I suppose you could use certified 2'' competition plates for the vbar but it would make it a bit wobbly.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Never heard of any 1'' certified weights (suitable for vbar). I suppose you could use certified 2'' competition plates for the vbar but it would make it a bit wobbly.

I solved this problem by centering a section of 2" pvc pipe over the base of the v-bar. With duct tape wrapped around two sections of the bar's base to perfectly center the pvc, and hot glue to prevent the pvc from sliding up and down, it works like a champ.

Sounds like a good idea. It would be good if John at FBBC could import the LGC steel tubing from Sweden and make LGC spec. vbars with a 2'' base. Early stages of testing indicate that LGC and FBBC vbars are not fully comparable. John could then sell LGC spec. vbars for competition and cheaper FBBC for training or competitions in which the Euro standard is not adhered to. Just an idea.

Rolling Thunder for reps – it will take 50 to win it and possibly 35 to place but this one could really fool me –I'm basing this on me and my handle and my handle is older – a new one could make a huge difference – or not? I predict a couple guys going up and down like a pogo stick on this one.

I guess I see Pexter doing that in the small hands division with the lighter weight. I may be wrong, but I don't see others doing more than 30. And if it turns out to be that way, I will be glad I didn't come.

Hubgeezer

Sounds like a good idea. It would be good if John at FBBC could import the LGC steel tubing from Sweden and make LGC spec. vbars with a 2'' base. Early stages of testing indicate that LGC and FBBC vbars are not fully comparable. John could then sell LGC spec. vbars for competition and cheaper FBBC for training or competitions in which the Euro standard is not adhered to. Just an idea.

I think John would sell quite a few of the LGC spec vbars here in the States.

GGC Events:

1. Max Effort Gripper Close – Each Hand – Credit Card set

1. With the CC set rule – I think an Elite close will be a darn good one. Might be an SE closed but

I think an Elite will be CCS closed by 3 or 4 people there. Don't think a Super Elite will be though. I don't know if that's been done yet...but it sure will be neat to see what happens!

MEN

Jedd Johnson

Chad Woodall

Dave Thorton

Tommy Heslep

kevin perrone

Anson

Chris Rice

Jon Creason

Scott George

John Demchak

Troy Smith II

Alexander Poptodorov

WOMEN

Jes Brock

4 Weeks till "Game Time". Besides the above competitors...who are the others that are thinking about competing? Everyone should know by now.

What hotels is everyone staying at? Getting pumped...time to get hype :mosher

• 2 weeks later...

Smitty - how about an updated list of contestants and visitors - like to see how bad I'm going to get my butt kicked and by who? I'm dissappointed so far with the seeming lack of excitement this year for what looks to be a great get together and contest. What's up guys?

Edited by climber511