British Iron Grip Championships 2006

mobsterone

Are you sure you don't want to question his hook grip?

No apology ever from you and don't think I will forget that.

Nick

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• Mikael Siversson

• jimwylie1

• David Horne

:help:trout

Congrats Steve - well deserved! :rock

Can't wait to see the results! :rock

Are you sure you don't want to question his hook grip?

No apology ever from you and don't think I will forget that.

Nick

What was the reason for this post?

Well as you all know, some of you did your utmost to discredit Nick in the thread on the Australian Championship.

You turned that whole thread into an ugly mess and, as Nick pointed out, apologies were far and few between.

Anyway, well done Steve on winning the competition.

I've been celebrating my, hic, hic, victory. :blush

:mosher Congrats Steve, and like everyone else, I look forward to seeing the full results, pictures and videos !

.. neilkaz ..

Nick PM'd me. I think we all knew exactly what the problem is (he admits he doesn't let sleeping dogs lie) and was (suggesting he may have used his thumb is tantamount to questioning his manhood - all in my PM). I'd have prefered not to have grudges from months ago dragged up. But as you did - where's my apologies for the Mobster Circus comment etc that you made and which I asked for months ago?

Here's the thing, as I explained to Nick today, not one of us is above having their style or technique questioned - the amount of times my tilting of thick handled dumbbells and roid use is annoying and when they were made a little frustrating. At the same time you have argued - sometimes in an offensive manner (you were last accused by one member of 'being at the root of many such arguments' due to what I think they called 'an agressive style') and at other times with good grace and expression your feelings on what you are trying to achieve with others as a standard for the sport we ALL enjoy.

But I also told Nick that life is too short to carry such burdens of anger and frustration. To then dig it up (as per my own facile example above) is childish and only harms you. I told Nick it's like being angry at a big rock for being in your way and then carrying the rock around to teach it a lesson. This means I don't really want an apology - send me beer instead :kiss

When we have seen posts on here about people working next to the World Trade Centre and none of us being able to contact the guy to see if they are ok, or Rick Walkers house being flooded out, or Franky and his other half being in a car crash and more then holding a grudge which gets brought up months later on, of all things, the use or lack of it of a thumb in a lift due to a piss poor low res video doesn't quite seem worth the effort to me.

I'll remind you, as per a chat with Nick after the CoC event, that regardless of occasional personal differences we share a love and affection for a sport we enjoy. That we can take it seriously in a competitive manner I understand but to talk about disrespect like 'but it looks like you used your thumb' is something to get annoyed about and then talk of demanding apologies as though the comment might be worthy is silly. I thought Nick used his thumb - big deal. I later on made another opposing comment when the better res video was shown. Did we get on perfectly ok prior to the Australian comp by chatting with the rest of the lads to the early hours of the morning we more than a few bottles of beer - yes. Ask the lads who was the most vocal in geeing up the crowd to get behind the lifters - ALL OF THEM - both yesterday and at the CoC.

If you wish to carry on can I please ask that it stays via PM? Or, as per advice I was given years ago, write it down and leave it for a day and then look back at it and see if it really is that big a deal?

In the meantime thanks for the support of my win. We managed to crack on and get through the whole event in about 4 hours and 15 minutes and while I'd have preferred to see more people both competing and supporting I think we all had a good time. The small group meant I was able to divi up the prizes between us all and so must thank - again - the sponsors FBBC (clothing and magazines), LKB (R/Thunder handle asnd pin), IronMind (IM Tugs), David Horne / Iron Grip (calibrated grippers and magazines) and me (everything else). My business partner Mike and his training partner Duncan did the loading and Chris Williams and Andy Christies better halfs did the tallying up etc on the laptop - cheers ladies it helped a huuge amount. My daughter made the journey again and the journey was made better by being there to see me celebrate so thanks darling for being there and the cards. I'm waiting on the excel file and some more photos and then I'll do a long write up with as much as my slightly tired and a tiny bit hung over brain allows :rolleyes

Edited by mobsterone

Congrats mobby, real nice!

Also congrats to Andy, for such a strong showing by beating Dean!

Now show me the results and some pics/videos :rock

Edited by DuTCH

I've just had the results.

Placings

1st. S Gardener - 441.6763644

2nd. D Bolt - 389.741733

3rd. A Christie - 376.612348

4th. C Williams - 356.0232072

Grippers

S Gardener L 2.96 and R 3.65 = 6.61

D Bolt L 2.46 and R 2.46 = 4.92

C Williams L 2.25 and R 2.46 = 4.71

A Christie L 2.25 and R 2.46 = 4.71

I've corrected the scores I was given as it had me down as doing a total of 7.3 with both right and left hand closes of the BBSE rated at 3.65. In fact it was a CoC 3 rated at 2.96 for my left and a BBSE rated at 3.65 for my right. It's well worth mentioning that the guys gave some serious squeezes and all of their last missed attempts were 1-2mm off a shut and therefore a higher score. So close...

Two hand pinch

S Gardener - 79.76-kilos

D Bolt - 79.26-kilos

A Christie - 66.76-kilos

C Williams - 63.26-kilos

I was so sure that Dean was gonna whip my butt (he's exceeded 100-kilos in the past) that when I realised I only needed to do a half kilo more to take first place and use the spare strength and energy for the next three lifts I took the advantage. I felt I was on target for a 87-kilo planned max.

V bar

A Christie L 129.72 and R 129.72 = 240.4

C Williams L 120.2 and R 129.72 = 232.94

D Bolt L 112.74 and R 107.96 = 211.58

S Gardener L 134.68 and R 0.00 = 134.68

What kind of school boy error can a guy make. I had with me a sheet with my intended numbers but between talking, reffing etc etc I completely neglected to double check what I was doing. I missed EVERY single right hand attempt. I took, as a warm up (as I recall) an easy 120-kilos plus kilos and then went to 7 plates and the bar (142.60-kilos) and missed the lot. Fortunately I was still 2.5-points ahead even though I had recorded no score what so ever with the right. So lucky. My 2nd left hand attempt of 134.68 was the hightest in the competition.

One hand deadlift (with hook grip allowed)

S Gardener L 155.79 and R 188.84

A Christie L 130.29 and R 130.29

C Williams L 120.49 and R 120.49

D Bolt L 115.38 and R 120.49

I was very happy with this and didn't use all my right hand attempts. In training I had done 3 x 1 with 180-kilos right handed and 3 x 1 with 157.5-kilos left handed. My left handed attempts were a clear 35.5-kilos ahead of any other athletes hands - left or right. It meant that the silly error I made earlier was forgotten and I was back on target. The last time I was beaten on the next event was by David Horne some 3-4 years ago and so, having practised with a nigh on new handle for technique as well as my battered one for sheer weight I was feeling confident.

Also worth a mention was Andy's high pulls where he nigh on rowed the bar up and gave it some real effort.

Rolling Thunder

S Gardener L 90.51-kilos and R 106.06* = 196.47-kilos

D Bolt L 76.65 and R 80.99 = 175.65-kilos

A Christie L 69.45 and R 69.45 = 138.9-kilos

C Williams L 59.35 and R 64.31 = 123.66-kilos

*I'm not sure but this may well be the best ever thumbless on a new handle in competition. More has been done on an older handle and I did a fair bit using mine after. I think I did 106.6 left handed using my old barely rotating handle and missed a 130++ kilo effort with the right (I think I did 122+ kilos maybe more). I did these attempts plus a little quick go on the BBGE and CoC 4 (both down to about a 1/2 inch) before handing out the prizes. I had made sure to thank all the sponsors prior to the last lift and both the loaders and the girls tallying the scores as well for all their sterling efforts. We packed up fairly quickly. I say we as I was talking to the handful of spectators while everyone else did the job ha ha. We then went to the pub where I flashed me wad and made short work of several pints of Guiness. :)

First off, thanks to Steve for organising a fun competition.

Personally, I had a bit of a 'mare on the day. Normally I lift better in competition than in training, due to adrenaline and verbal encouragement, I suppose. This time, nope.

The grippers went as expected - I had done no training at all on them and so got exactly what I got last time. No surprises there.

In the pinch, I dropped my 'conservative' opener twice before getting it on the third attempt. No idea why. Aaargh! Took a small increase for the last attempt and got it, so ended with 66.76kg.

My Vbar had been going well in training and I should have been on for a PR. I had pulled 135.5kg both hands the week before and felt I had more to come. On the day, my opener of 120.2 came up easily, but that was it. 129.72 was glued to the floor. Double aaargh.

One-hand DL with hook grip went fine. I'd done 120 in training, so 130.29 was good. Might have got another 5kg, but after the fiasco with the pinch and Vbar I wasn't prepared to risk it.

RT thumbless was just about OK. The new handle made a difference, so I was reasonably happy with 69.45kg with both hands.

Despite my poor performance I really enjoyed the day. Roll on next year.

As we left the pub to drive home, Steve was well into his second pint of Guinness and I'm willing to bet it wasn't his last!

Too right. I think I had four and then a few more bottles of beer at home (plus Pizza and Ice Cream :D )

Congrats to all competitors.

Impressive RT numbers Steve.

Your probably best was that 2.96 close lefty, big gains you're making there.

Steve,

Thanks for putting on and organising the event, a thoroughly enjoyable day and another grip contest to add to my experience.

Cheers

Chris

Nice work. Congrats to all.

British Iron Grip 2006 photos

Grippers

This one is of me with a coc 4 attempt post competition.

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/5335/pict00985yn.jpg

In the actual comptition here is Chris Williams squeezing for all he's worth while the rest of the gang look on.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8563/pict00034ed.jpg

Pinch

After grippers came the pinch - here is Andy C having a go.

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/4313/pict00108he.jpg

V-bar

Up next the infamous V-bar. Here is me looking perplexed having ballsed up my right hand attempts

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3601/ig20060075ul.jpg

Followed by a massive 139-kilo Dean Bolt pulling for Wales

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8513/pict00191vh.jpg

One hand deadlift with hook grip

Above the knee (just after this pic was taken - checked on video) but far from tidy here's my 189-kilo pull followed by Andy C's picture perfect lift

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/2977/18...deadlift2vw.jpg

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/4315/pict00455ed.jpg

Rolling Thunder

Here's my 100+ kilo right hand effort

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/9472/pict00948cg.jpg

Edited by mobsterone