British Iron Grip Championships 2006

mobsterone

It is my intention to put on the event this year. I'll be announcing more shortly but in the meantime you need to start training. Here are the events in no particular order just FYI

V- Bar

One hand o’bar deadlift – with thumb

Grippers

Two hand euro pinch

Rolling Thunder - thumbless

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• Mikael Siversson

• jimwylie1

• David Horne

May. I'm looking at dates etc now. I'd love it if you could compete again Dean. Esp as we aren't that far from you.

I'm looking at either the 13th of May or the 20th. I'm up to 5 sponsors and an offer to host a website.

So far the following, in no particular order, have offered to contribute something to the event:

David Horne

Nick McKinless

John Beatty @ Fat Bastard Barbell Company

The Whey Consortium

London Kettlebells

LKB have also offered to host the site.

Cool :D

The guys at LKB are putting together something for me and as soon as that is done and ready I'll be looking for willing competitors to sign up. It is my intention, as best I can with a first effort, to put on a good, fast paced day, with some big solid lifting by all involved. Any support given will be much appreciated.

I am on for the 13th Mobster, the next weekend is a wedding, only trying my luck you understand!

Now to get over this tennis bloody elbow....

Hope you're keeping well.

Dogz.

I sent out invites today and would prefer the 20th but we'll see. I can add Ironmind to the list of Sponsors.

http://www.irongripgb.com is up and running with competitor profiles (for those that have signed up so far), articles, event info, galleries and more. Training diaries covering the run up to the event are being added as soon as server issues have been sorted.

The date has been set for the 20th of May

Sorry dude. Either day was ok with me but Dean asked for the 20th as he has other competitions on and I had to set a date.

More content is being added (the two hand pinch was missing) and some glitches are being sorted on the website.

I plan on adding my own training log for the competition and encourage those competing to do the same.

I need at least two more names of competition standard to sign up. Can you accept the challenge and step up your game?

Question on Rolling Thunder "thumbless"...does that mean "any style allowed", or does that mean "thumbless only"?

Hubgeezer

I'll have a go at some of the events I have concerns about and let you know soon. It will be a shame to put in a sub-maximal performance though.

I hope you can. I'd point out that I was far from my best last year with the prolapsed disc troubling me even on the day. You, of course, are still down a few percent with the collarbone injury.

I gave the one hand deadlift with thumb a spin today and did ok.

Still? Fortunately no levering events this year. I hope he gives the events a spin and feels up to doing something. It would be a shame otherwise.

The collar bone is fixed and causes me no problems at all. Like Dave said, it's my wrist that is still weak.

Levering is actually fine too. Thick bar is painful and crushing power is minimal. I need to try the pinch lift and deadlift.

Mob,

Will the V bar used be a LGC replica? You mention that the V bar is sorted on http://www.irongripgb.com but it doesn't say if it's LGC. I only mention this as records are only recognised on the LGC replica bar as far as I know...

Mob,

Will the V bar used be a LGC replica? You mention that the V bar is sorted on http://www.irongripgb.com but it doesn't say if it's LGC. I only mention this as records are only recognised on the LGC replica bar as far as I know...

Mob,

you're welcome to use mine if needs be.

I've had one made according to spec on this site - indeed in return for a tub of protein :D I do need a frame made for the adjustable pinch.

I only mention this as records are only recognised on the LGC replica bar as far as I know...

True. No LGC vbar no records. There are two in England so there should not be any problems having one for the contest. Maybe Mobster does not want you to take my record away from me.

Thank you Mobster. :kiss

I only mention this as records are only recognised on the LGC replica bar as far as I know...

True. No LGC vbar no records. There are two in England so there should not be any problems having one for the contest. Maybe Mobster does not want you to take my record away from me.

Thank you Mobster. :kiss

In the post just before yours I mention that the bar is being made in precise accordance with the spec that has been laid down - ie a LGC replica. I have done my research and even asked for the plate on the bottom to be square as per the LGC.

Worse case scenario? I'll ask Andy to bring his. As for records - we will see. I will say that I made a small mistake at the CoC event and feel that I could have lifted at least another 5 to 10 kilos right handed and a lot more left.

A LGC vbar replica is made out of the same steel as the original, in fact even made out of the same batch as the original. They are all the same.

A record on a LGC vbar replica requires a LGC replica, not just any steel vbar made according to the same dimensions.

Introducing other types of steel would require thorough testing back to back before they can be approved and there is no time for that before your competition.

As for any vbar records, I would be surprised if my total record survives the 2006 season. It won't fall at your hands though. :rolleyes