British Iron Grip Championships 2006

mobsterone

There's a motivator right there - good lad.

Andy - you heard the man the replica has to have been touched by god ha ha So please bring your v bar.

However, how much more of this 'special' steel do you have? And quite why would the kind of steel make a difference - seriously?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• Mikael Siversson

• jimwylie1

• David Horne

Steve, I have to agree to the fact that different steels feel very different. Some will rust faster, some will retain moist, some will retain chalk, etc...

That being said LGC replicas are not too easy to get these days ...

Having had stuff made in the past I made a very brief study (ie: as much as I needed). First off I'll look at what is used and if I can get it. I know that so-called 'bright' steel has more oxygen mixed in which makes it stonger but also more rigid and so on. I know how such steels are tested and so on.

I also recall the time and trouble both Mikeal had with the V bar and David Horne had with the C/bar stock. Ultimately David had to test each batch he brought before it was rated due to the small differences. I'm not sure how many V-Bar replicas there are out there but there must be a finite amount of the orginal steel stock (lets say they brought 20 metres).

Worse case scenario is either the full spec (steel type included) is given out OR any replicas made are sent to Mikeal/Arne for equipment approval. This may a decision made by the world grip committee.

I also considered getting a one-off version made with grooves or knurling where the hand would grip just for training. It would have either tore my hands up or allowed some nutty kinda weights to be lifted. I may still do it. It's certainly portable enough to take to the gym.

Oh and it just occured to me. It may well be that any records set at the British may not be subject to WGC approval as I'm not weighing the plates - not this time. That probably needs to be clearly stated.

I'm not sure how many V-Bar replicas there are out there but there must be a finite amount of the orginal steel stock (lets say they brought 20 metres).

Worse case scenario is either the full spec (steel type included) is given out OR any replicas made are sent to Mikeal/Arne for equipment approval. This may a decision made by the world grip committee.

Yes, there was a limited number of vbars made, around 20 or so.

I have asked Arne to get more of the same steel although this would mean from a different batch. I will then test these new vbars against my old one. If they feel the same we can then see if this steel is available outside of Sweden. If not, Arne will just have to make more of them. He does not charge you that much for them (around 30 Euros + shipping).

Cheers. I'll keep it in mind for any future contests. As per an earlier post of mine I'm not gonna go overboard in terms of effort this time out being more concerned with getting a good number of lads and having a happy competition - it being my first effort. However, if it goes well I'm certain I can spare 30 euros for a bar for future use. :cool

can you not weigh your plates AFTER the competition IF you want to have some records officialized ? This should obviously not be the way to go for an european championship, but in this case ??

It's wayyyy too much work. :blink And I'm more interested in qualifying for the worlds than getting my name on a list (I can always do as well or more again at a later date - bar getting injured). I hope the lads feel the same.

can you not weigh your plates AFTER the competition IF you want to have some records officialized ? This should obviously not be the way to go for an european championship, but in this case ??

As I have stated before, from 2006 onwards I will personally not recognise any records in pinch and vbar unless the weights were calibrated BEFORE the competition.

A WR attempt should be in real time. There should be no question that the attempt is actually on a WR weight.

I don't want a situation where you can calibrate your way to a WR weeks or months after the actual contest, when you decide to finally drag your ass to a post office.

Hopefully I can convince (if I am selected) a majority in the Grip Panel that this is the way to go.

If I compete I would hope to take the opportunity to push the v bar record a little higher. It would be a shame to miss an opportunity to make an attempt on the record seeing as it's an official competition. Additionally, qualifying for the worlds is not at the top of everyone's agenda and it will not be their #1 priority of the comp.

For the record Steve I appreciate that you are going to the trouble of organising the comp and note all of you hard work. It your call at the end of the day - it's a lot of work weighing all those plates and you have got a dodgy back ;)

I'd have preferred it if you had PM'd him. I already know.

I recognise that any such lifts made at the event I am promoting will not be recognised. I can live with it. I'm concerned only with a fast paced, well sponsored, well attended, good competition. Again it'll be my first ever competition as both promoter and competitor. I have no desire either now or after a competition to hump discs to a post office or a place where there may be calibrated scales.

They may be weighed before any later competitions.

Also it remains to be seen as to what decisions are made by the World Grip Council - as you correctly state. For example the 20 or so names that are likely to be voted in may well feel that a replica V-Bar doesn't need to be brought from Sweden or that a single committee member decides on who has a record approved and who has not. I recognise that you may well be voted on but at the same time the majority may feel differently from yourself. We shall see.

I do promise that, if only for myself, I will not be attempting to claim a WR months after the event on the basis of weighing the plates months later. Cubs honor :kiss Indeed I agree that months later would be silly. Perhaps if the decision is borderline it may come down to how the calibration needs to be done.

If I compete I would hope to take the opportunity to push the v bar record a little higher. It would be a shame to miss an opportunity to make an attempt on the record seeing as it's an official competition. Additionally, qualifying for the worlds is not at the top of everyone's agenda and it will not be their #1 priority of the comp.

For the record Steve I appreciate that you are going to the trouble of organising the comp and note all of you hard work. It your call at the end of the day - it's a lot of work weighing all those plates and you have got a dodgy back ;)

Not as dodgy as before. :cool

Jim you can always do the next LGC in May.

Or at the Euros in August. :cool

Also it remains to be seen as to what decisions are made by the World Grip Council - as you correctly state. For example the 20 or so names that are likely to be voted in may well feel that a replica V-Bar doesn't need to be brought from Sweden or that a single committee member decides on who has a record approved and who has not. I recognise that you may well be voted on but at the same time the majority may feel differently from yourself. We shall see.

I have no doubt Mobster that a majority of the 13 elected will vote against the introduction of untested varieties of steel for official vbar and two hand pinch WR's.

It would be totally pointless calibrating weights etc. if any type of steel is allowed in the vbar and pinch for WR's. We would then be back at square one again after years of hard work.

Or at the Euros in August. :cool

I would not be so sure about the Euros. Last time I suggested calibration the German's were not very serious about it.

In case I get off my lazy arse and weigh the plates please remind me again what is required. We're buying some plates soon anyway (probably 180-kilos to go with the 100 kilos in 10's we own).

I have no doubt Mobster that a majority of the 13 elected will vote against the introduction of untested varieties of steel for official vbar and two hand pinch WR's.

It would be totally pointless calibrating weights etc. if any type of steel is allowed in the vbar and pinch for WR's. We would then be back at square one again after years of hard work.

Other than the comments regarding differing steels accepting differing levels of moisture etc a simple way round is to be, as I mentioned earlier, very specific in the quality OR using a grade of steel all can source easily. You'll have seen some dicussion on the varying qualities of bolts and bars for bending and onc that was hammered out and a good common source found it seems accepted now.

So I agree to not having 'any' kind but perhaps not needing it to be made by Arne.

In case I get off my lazy arse and weigh the plates please remind me again what is required. We're buying some plates soon anyway (probably 180-kilos to go with the 100 kilos in 10's we own).

Easiest would be to rent a calibrated scale like Arthur and Nick did. They paid around $50-60 (AUD) and it had a resolution of 5 grams.

You then mark each plate with its actual weight (water proof marking pen) and also record it in a notebook.

Easiest would be to rent a calibrated scale like Arthur and Nick did. They paid around $50-60 (AUD) and it had a resolution of 5 grams.

You then mark each plate with its actual weight (water proof marking pen) and also record it in a notebook.

You could add a couple of quid to the entry fee to cover costs if need be Steve. Not sure where you'd rent one from though..?

I just spoke to Mike and he mentioned that the other company he also works for (as well as ours) use a portable calibrated electronic scale for weighing gas bottles (cos they get money back etc). I'm gonna double check if it has a weights and measure seal on it (they used to come round to the factory years ago to test our scales there and put a seal on them when they had been checked).

The cost etc isn't an issue. If I had to charge what the event is costing it'd £100.00 each. For example I've just brought £371.00+ worth of Olympic weights (includes a 1500lb test bar), swapped a tub of protein for the making of a bar. That's without any actual trophy (I'd like ideas on that if any have some) and food etc.

Just getting a quote on T-shirts for a novice strongman competition Mike wants to put on in the summer could easily be £255.00 plus VAT (40 xxl and xxxl shirts with print on one side only).

This weekend we're off to the annual OHF dinner and that's £120.00 worth of tickets (I paid) and then £160.00 for the rooms as well as any items I bid on, lunch, fuel and raffle tickets... expensive business this lve of the Iron eh? :inno

I think there's a good chance Jim Wylie and Dave Johnson are coming to the Brits. They trained on the events tonight.

Cool. In fact better than cool - awesome. As it currently stands that could mean 7. A good size number and with Dean Bolt returning all experienced.

If at all possible I'd like to add some profiles etc to the site. It would be nice to get interest in each competitior.

I only started this week myself. I get 'full blown' from next week.

My brother might have a go too if you can get those plates weighed. He likes being on lists and thinks he's got a decent v bar in him :).

My lifts are way down but there's a while yet 'til the comp and I was quiet pleased with some of my left handed events tonight.