Building A Bigger Engine For Grip Contests

Scott Styles

04-03-2006 - Workout 24 of 64 - Lower Body at World Gym

Got 8 hours of sleep, but when I got up my body still knew it was only 5 am in real time. Gym was almost totally deserted this morning. My hip is feeling much better, but not quite 100%.

Stiff Leg Deadlifts (Flat back, Lower Bar to Below Knees)

10x45

10x95

10x135

10x135

Since I skipped squats, I had lots of gas in the tank. I decided to see how these would be with 135. I also added an extra warm up set. The sets went well, but were not easy. I will stay here for a bit.

Seated Leverage Leg Press

10x100

10x160

10x220

10x280

No squats today because of my hip. I was going to do multiple sets on 280, but my hip was being annoyed by the lift.

Side Bends

12x25

12x35

10x45

10x45

Want to strengthen my obliques for the kettlebell. This also felt good on my hip.

Stretches

Lower Back

Hamstrings

Quads

Psoas

Calves

Pretty good overall. I hope to bring front squats back in on Thursday. Bob posted a date and events for the next Michigan contest, I am very excited. It turns out one of the events is a double overhand axle deadlift. I better learn how to deadlift correctly, because as of right now, I doubt it will be my hand strength holding me up there.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott Styles

• Starkmann

• gerryg

• chrisof4

2" Axled Deadlift

1x75lbs

1x165lbs

1x185lbs (PR)

Break Groundx215lbs

Mid Thighx215lbs

Two pieces of good news from this:

1. My grip is the weak point on the axle deadlifts. I can totally lock out 215 from where I lost the axle deadlift. Actually, I could have dragged it up my thighs, but would that be cheating???

2. I just set a deadlift PR, as well as an axle deadlift PR. Most I ever did before this was years ago I hit 8x165 on a standard bar.

Actually, I could have dragged it up my thighs, but would that be cheating???

For purposes of training, nothingis cheating, except not doing it.

If you wear dealifting in any competitions, I believe you would not get a white light on that rep, while your hands may contact your thighs, if the thighs are supporting the weight, it is a no go.

Makes sense on the deadlifts. Knowing where I'm at now, I probably won't train these until the last month or two before the contest. I'll totally be able to count on my strength from the stiff legged deads and the leg presses / front squats to keep up with my hand strength on that event.

04-04-2006 - Workout 25 of 64 - Upper Body at World Gym

Today was a weak day. I got enough sleep, but indulged in a couple glasses of port last night. I'm also feeling the side bends and deadlifts pretty heavily. These factors apparently impacted me in the gym.

Warm Up: Elliptical Trainer for 8 minutes, getting heart rate up to a steady 140-150bpm

I actually only got the heart rate up to 140bpm at the very end of the warm up.

Standing Dumbell Press

10x25

10x35

7x35

I was moving too slow on these to have any chance at all the reps. My obliques were also screaming the entire time. I bet I'm strong on these come Friday though.

Supinated Pulldowns, Shoulder Width Grip

10x9

10x12

10x12

Based on my performance on the dumbell presses, I decided to forgoe the weight increase for one more workout. 12 was highly doable. Definitely going for 13 next time.

Seated Chest Fly Machine, weight in hands, shoulders neutral

10x5

10x8

10x8

I still don't like this one, but didn't feel like thinking about doing anything else.

Nautilus Isolateral Machine Rows

10x50

10x100

10x100

Just going through the motions. I'm not prepared to add weight here yet. The weights move, but I don't have control.

Dumbell Lateral Rises

10x5

10x8

10x8

Nice and easy on these. Want to see if they help strengthen my bad shoulder.

Stretches

Lats and Triceps

Upper Back

Side Bend

Lower Back / Chest

Hamstrings

Quads

Calves

Hamstrings were pretty tight today. Skipped the hip stretch since the cardio/stretching area was busy and this stretch looks like I'm trying to mate with the flat bench.

Given the impact of yesterday's workout and the fact that I drank last night, I'm content with this workout. Grip work tonight should be interesting, since my hands felt a little heavy this morning from the axle deads.

04-04-2006 - Workout XX of 64 - Grip Work at Home

While I am excited for the grip contests, expectations were not high for this workout. This was based on the morning's efforts.

Grippers

RH: 10xT, 10x#BBSA, 15x#1

LH: 10xT, 7x#BBSA, 13x#1

Appear to have improved a slight bit here. Will keep this resistance scheme for next time. Doing reps on the grippers in the Mash Monster set position hurts.

V-bar

A bunch of sets / reps with 70lbs

A bunch of sets / reps with 80lbs

All together, I probably lifted the v-bar around 20 times with each hand. I really dislike v-bar, hate it even. I think it's more of a test of skin toughness than hand strength. I also don't like the uneven loading it puts on the back. Unfortunately, both of the grip contests I'm participating in are contesting it. This means I need to at least be moderately capable in it. By not practicing it, I'm giving up a huge advantage I can have over people that do not train the lift.

I think the key for me to do this lift well is lots of reps to toughen the skin on my hands. I have well hydrated, soft, supple palms. I do no manual labor and avoid exposing my hands to all but the most favorable of conditions. The roughest thing my hands see is a well chalked gripper handle. Right now, as soon as I pick up the v-bar, my skin folds over on itself and burns like crazy. I think doing lots of reps each workout or two will change this by thickening and hardening the skin on my palms over time. We'll see. I'll move weight up very slowly here.

Pony Clamp

10xEasy Clamp

10xMedium Clamp

10xMedium Clamp

10xEasy Clamp

Getting good at closing the easy clamp. The medium one is a ways off. I look forward to my homemade TTK.

Formulator Extensions

10x5

10x10

10x10

These are getting stronger and feel more solid. I also got my fiancee to stop shouting "Bob Dole" on every rep. Stay here next time.

Finger Extensions with IM Rubber Bands

10xGreen

10xYellow

10xYellow

Stay here next time, maybe add a few more reps.

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming grip contests. I think if I keep with my training for the next months, I have a good chance of keeping up with the pack, maybe even presenting a challenge to some of the other competitors.

Thanks for the support.

04-06-2006 - Workout 26 of 64 - Lower Body at World Gym

Only 7 hours of sleep, didn't get home from work until 7:30 last night. Makes it hard to be asleep by 10. I don't feel like going to lift weights when I get up, but by the time my warm up is over, I'm ready to go.

Warm Up: Elliptical Trainer for 8 minutes, getting heart rate up to a steady 140-150bpm

Stiff Leg Deadlifts (Flat back, Lower Bar to Below Knees) - Turns out these are Romanian Deadlifts

10x45

10x95

10x135

10x135

Repeated the weights from the last workout. These really weren't too hard. I'll do 145 next time. It's very gratifying to at least be using the 45s on the barbell for something.

10x100

10x160

10x220 (platform at 6)

10x220 (platform at 5)

10x220 (platform at 4)

10x220 (platform at 3)

Squats are still aggravating my hip. Not sure what to do about that, but my interim solution is to play with the leg press. I gradually increased the ROM to see what I could do without any problems. Having the platform at 3 worked well. If I'm doing these along with the Romanian deadlifts, at least I'm preparing myself to squat while my hip straightens itself out.

Side Bends

10x25

10x35

10x45

10x45

Just repeated the weights from the last workout. I still had residual soreness from last time. I should probably increase to the 50lber next time.

Stretches

Lower Back

Hamstrings

Quads

Psoas

Calves

A fine workout. I've been starving all day since getting to work from the gym. Most of my lunch is gone already. Wish the squats were working out better, but I think the hunger indicates I am achieving my primary goal for the cycle.

04-07-2006 - Workout 27 of 64 - Upper Body at World Gym

Got my standard 7.5 hours of sleep last night. Felt pretty good going in to the gym this morning.

This shot right up into my target zone and stayed there. Nice.

Standing Dumbell Press

10x25

10x35

9x35

At least one more week at this weight. I was feeling some wierd soreness today. My obliques, which I expected, but also the medial head of my delt and the lowest part of my lats. Dunno if it's from the Romanian deads or the v-bar sets. Guess I'll find out on Sunday.

10x9

10x13

10x13

Pfffft. 13 got owned. Not a problem. I need to stay here for at least the next week, to give my supporting structures time to adjust to the weight. My muscles, however, are fine with it. Awesome.

Barbell Bench Press

10x45

10x85

7x95

Gave these another shot. They just don't work with my right shoulder. I stopped the 95lb set not because it was hard, but because my shoulder was making odd noises while doing it. Nuts to that. I'm going to look at dumbell presses on a low incline. They were ok on my shoulder last time I was into this stuff. It's a shame the barbell presses don't work for me, cause with my increased girth (reduced ROM) and what I've learned from my Starting Strength book on benching, I know I could destroy my old PRs. I might be able to beat them right now, if I were willing to screw my shoulder up.

10x50

10x120

10x120

Tacked on weight here today. I was just feeling in the groove. Just realized 10lbs on each side is 20lbs total, or a 20% increase. I'm a moron for adding so much. I will stay there next time.

Dumbell Lateral Rises

10x5

10x8

10x8

Stuck with 8lbers this time. I'll do 10's next time, if I can find the other 10lb dumbell. I suppose I could use 2 plates.

Stretches

Lats and Triceps

Upper Back

Side Bend

Lower Back / Chest

Hamstrings

Quads

Hips

Calves

Good and bendy. Got the hip stretch back in. Hamstrings were tight as usual on the day after my lower workout.

Overall today's workout went quite well. I'm totally psyched for the grip contests coming up and it is making it easy to keep my motivation in the gym. I need to be careful of 2 things however:

1. I need to try not to think about the upcoming competitions all day long. With Michigan 4 months out and BBB2 7 months out, I will burn myself out doing this.

2. I need to stop thinking about where my strength will / can be at by the end of the cycle. Instead I need to focus on each workout being a little better and appreciate it. In my head I'm already overhead pressing the 50's and 55's for 3 sets of 5. I need to stop that. It makes me get impatient with the weights I am currently using and creates a desire to jump to weights I am not ready for. One of the restrictions I face is that the supporting structures of my bad shoulder need a little slower progression than the muscles of the shoulder. I need to be smart about that.

I am really excited for the contests though. I'm gunning for Neil, Tom, and Travis at the BBB2. They're all stronger than me right now, but I'm working hard! I'm rather certain I will be getting scale weights and a FBBC bomb to practice the contest events. What I lack in strength I can make up for in preparation.

04-08-2006 - Workout 28 of 64 - Grip Work at Home

Lots of sleep last night. Took a 2 mile or so walk prior to this workout to warm up.

Grippers

RH: 10xT, 10x#BBSA, 17x#1

LH: 10xT, 7x#BBSA, 13x#1

Gained slightly on the #1 reps with the right hand. Almost had 8 reps on the BBSA with the left.

V-bar

1x3x70

8x3x80

1x3x90

10 sets of 3 total, just toughening my skin. Depending how I feel tomorrow, I may or may not increase to 90 next time. I also need to decide if I will be doing this on my Tuesday grip workout again. It may tire my back too much for the Tuesday workout.

Pony Clamp

10xEasy Clamp

10xMedium Clamp

10xMedium Clamp

10xEasy Clamp

Still working the medium clamp. Still excited to switch over to the TTK. Still need to stick here next time.

Formulator Extensions

10x5

10x10

10x10

Last couple reps of the last set were sloppy. Need to stay here.

Bending

1 Timber Tie Double Underhand

Just wanted to see how this felt. The toughening of my hands from the bending cycle just 2 months ago is totally gone. I'm going to have to bend at least once a week in the 2 months leading up to the BBB2. I may do some bending leading up to the Michigan contest, depending where my levering is at.

20xGreen

15xYellow

15xYellow

Felt like doing more on these today. Stay here next time.

Overall I am happy with this workout. My gym lifting is starting to really kick my butt, so the grip workouts are a nice change of pace. I had to leave the kettlebell alone due to my lower back already being fatiuged from the week's lifting and the stress the v-bar places on it.

Attending to Recovery - Workouts 19-28 (Microcycle 3) Results: 93% compliance

Finally over 90% compliance! No wonder my workouts have been going so well.

Environment and Active Recovery - Daily

1. Don't Eat Out - 14/14 - 100%

2. Get 7.5 hours of sleep - 105/105 - 100%

3. Play with dexterity balls - 14/14 - 100%

Nailed them all. Getting the sleep has been much easier since I strained my eye and haven't been playing my PS2. My eye is at about 90% now, but I am reluctant to go back to the gaming yet. Probably best for my gripping anyway.

The month I'd originally planned to not eat out if I have to pay for it is over. While expending $0 to eat out, I still ended up eating restraunt food 7 times over the course of the month. Twice during work meetings. Once because my fiancee took me out. Four times for leftovers from work meetings. I'd say I saved $250 over the course of the month. My grip recovery factors are far better as a result of the improved diet. The only time I've really missed it is when my dad and I go out on Sundays. Right now I tag along while he gets some lunch, then we go shoot some pool or whatever.

I think I'm going to sign on for another month of this approach to eating out. My inclination is to drop the consumption of work leftovers in favor of eating out on Sundays with my dad. However, I'm an all or nothing sort of guy. I think the moment I open my wallet and starting buying some food, I'll be right back where I started. I can also imagine others that I used to eat out with frequently (fiancee, coworker) getting upset that I haven't deemed them exception worthy as well. I'll stick with this approach for another month.

Core Diet - Eaten Daily

1. Baby Carrots - 14/14 - 100%

2. Lettuce - 11/14 - 79%

3. 1 Piece Fruit - 13/14 - 93%

4. 3/4 cup Berries - 13/14 - 93%

5. Seed Mix of Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, and Brazil Nuts - 10/14 - 71%

6. Flax Cereal - 13/14 - 93%

7. Yogurt - 12/14 - 86%

8. Beans - 11/14 - 79%

9. Iced tea in place of soda - 14/14 - 100%

10. 8oz Soy Milk - 12/14 - 86%

11. 1 additional meal including whole grains (brown rice, whole grain wheat, beans, etc.) - 13/14 - 93%

12. 1.5 servings additional dairy - 14/14 - 100%

13. DHA Capsule - 13/14 - 93%

14. 2 servings nuts - 13/14 - 93%

This went very well. I attribute it to the not eating out.

My biggest issue now is I've been STARVING all day long. It's crazy, I'll get into work at 9 and by 11 I've eaten a vast majority of the food I brought for the day. I end up going to Osco during the day to get chocolate or to Jewel in the evening to get a frozen pizza. It's actually become a little unreasonable. On Friday I ate an entire pound of chocolate in the afternoon, after polishing off all the food I had brought for the day. Several evenings a week I eat an entire 1800 calorie frozen pizza on top of my 300 calorie smoothie and a couple hundred calories of chips or chocolate. Yet, my belt is just a little looser than it was before I started the cycle.

I'm not really sure what to do about this. This is the other major barrier I've faced in the past when attempting to get stronger. I have a crappy appetite coupled with the high bulk, healthy foods composing a vegitarian diet. This causes me to run a caloric deficit while exercising. Usually what happens is I decide to go with it and just watch weight melt off for a month or two. Then my strength stagnates in the gym, I get frustrated, and something comes along to give me reason to quit.

I've been dealing with the issue by eating junk until I feel sick. At first it was eating out, now it is food from the grocery store. Obviously I cannot supplement my calories with pizza and chocolate indefinitely. But my goal for the next 7 months isn't to drop weight, it's to get stronger. I'm already spending $80 a week on healthy foods for each day. Adding another 1000 calories of healthy foods that I will actually eat becomes very spendy. To make it worse, I'm not even lifting heavy weights yet. My appetite is only going to increase.

I think for the next 2 weeks I need to track what I am eating, to get an idea of my calorie and protien consumption. If I were to guess, I'd say I average 3500-4000 calories a day, with 125-150 grams of protien. 1000 calories of that is probably chocolate or pizza. It'll be interesting to see what I actually eat.

04-09-2006 - Workout XX of 64 - Cardio!?!?

I got talked into going on a hike with my dad this afternoon. We walked 5 miles at a little more than 3mph. There was a 45 minute break at the 2.5 mile point to sit and chat. Of most interest to me was that my ankles and feet felt tired, while the rest of my body was fine. Guess it's from not doing any calf work. I stretched afterwards.

Posting this because I believe it has the potential to influence my leg workout tomorrow. We'll see.

04-10-2006 - Workout 29 of 64 - Lower Body at World Gym

7.5 hours of sleep. Feet a little tired from the walking yesterday, but feeling good overall.

Romanian Deadlifts

10x45

10x95

10x145

10x145

Lightweight! Actually, this was a good effort for me. Will stay here next time. Some moron decided to rearrange all the equipment in the free weight area. He put 1 of the 2 power racks over a big lump in the floor. The other rack was occupied. So I actually ended up using a stiff legged deadlift platform for this. Worked ok, but getting the weight out wasn't as nice as in the rack. I'm gonna call and complain to the general manager who made the decision tomorrow.

10x120

10x180

10x240

10x240

Now that I know the platform works well for me at 3, I decided to increase a little on the weight from last time. This was appropriate. I will stay here one more workout before going up. Not sure about the hip for now. Isn't complaining, but I don't want to mess with it either. I'm still progressing, so not real eager to get back at the squats.

Side Bends

10x25

10x35

10x50

10x50

These weren't too bad. I'll stay here next time. Probably a lift I want to keep a little below my limit

Calf Raises

10x50

10x90

10x90

The weight room rearrangement genius put the calf raise on a spot where it wobbles left and right while you use it. Very annoying. Just did a little here to see how it goes. I figured I was gonna do calves or abs today, calves seemed the least offensive.

Stretches

Lower Back

Hamstrings

Quads

Calves

Forgot to do the hip stretch.

I brought 2 bagels in to work today and that seemed to quell the hunger during the day. But then I ended up at work an hour later than expected. Lo and behold, I'm at home eating pizza, chips, and chocolate for dinner, on top of my salad and smoothie. But I did eat all the foods for my grip recovery factors. Get to go in early tomorrow :p We'll see if I make the time to track my food. It's a royal pain.

04-11-2006 - Workout 30 of 64 - Upper Body at World Gym

Only 7 hours of sleep due to getting up early. Stupid work. Lower back a little tired today. Actually have some soreness in my glutes for once.

This shot right up into my target zone this morning.

Standing Dumbell Press

10x25

8x40

5x40

The 35's were in use and I had time constraints today. Decided to give the 40s a shot. They're definitely heavier. Will return to the 35's on Friday.

10x9

10x13

10x13

I was starting to feel how early I got up and the extra weight on the shoulder presses. Will stay here next time.

Incline Dumbell Press

10x25

This just didn't feel right. One of the keys to fixing my shoulder up may be working it into being able to do problem free bench press. I played around with the hammer strength bench press and it seems like one of the pressing machines may hold the secret.

Machine Chest Flys

10x60

10x80

10x80

Until this exercise becomes more comfortable on my joints, I'm not going any heavier here.

10x70

5x140

10x120

I screwed up and misloaded the second set. For some reason totalling up the plates on this machine keeps confusing me. I have no idea why. 120 was appropriate and I will do it next time. In case I forget, that's 2 25s and 1 10 per side.

Dumbell Lateral Rises

10x10

10x10

By the time I found the other 10lber, I decided to skip my warm up set. This was ok. Will return to normal set scheme next time.

Stretches

Lats and Triceps

Upper Back

Side Bend

Lower Back / Chest

Hamstrings

Quads

Hips

Calves

Got everything in today.

Getting up earlier to workout sucks. The gym is much busier then. Coupled with the equipment move that eliminated one of the bench stations in the dumbell area, it becomes more tedious to workout. I can't imagine showing up at like 5pm. That must be horrible.

I did finally add up what I ate yesterday. I think I figured out one of the problems. My core diet, with the extra bagel and cream cheese I added this week, is 2000 calories. I'm eating that, then come home and my body wants another 1500 or so. You can't get that eating salad. I'm going to see how this week goes and adjust my grocery shopping so that I can consume more like 2500-3000 calories each work day before getting home.

04-11-2006 - Workout XX of 64 - Grip Work at Home

Hands were feeling tired tonight.

Grippers

RH: 10xT, 12x#BBSA, 7x#1, 9xBBSA

LH: 10xT, 7x#BBSA, 7x#1, 3xBBSA

My left hand needs to get in gear. I'm going to start doing it first on the gripper work. The reps with the #1 just didn't feel good, so I went back to the BBSA. Skin was really feeling it, I blame v-bar.

V-bar

1x90

1x90

1x90

The skin on my hands was not ready for more v-bar. So I stopped.

Pony Clamp

10xEasy Clamp

10xMedium Clamp

10xMedium Clamp

10xEasy Clamp

TTK should come this weekend. Looking forward to it!

Formulator Extensions

10x5

10x10

10x10

Again, last couple reps of the last set were sloppy. Need to stay here.

15xGreen

15xYellow

15xYellow

Stay here.

I didn't feel strong this workout. Had a high stress day at work, that could be why. Tomorrow's another day.

04-13-2006 - Workout 31 of 64 - Lower Body at World Gym

7.5 hours of sleep. Back was still tired from workouts earlier in the week. Work has been high stress this week and it's holding me back.

Romanian Deadlifts

10x45

10x95

10x145

10x145

Not too hard. Decided I need to stay here for at least the first workout next week. My back was tired. If I'm getting worked with this weight, no point in going to a heavier one.

10x120

10x180

10x240

10x240

No hip pain. Tried the second work set with the back rest on the seat more veritical, cause the card said it hits the quads and hamstrings more. Bull. It just let me cheat with my stomach. Will use the normal settings next time.

Side Bends

10x25

10x35

10x50

10x50

The warm up set with 25 was pointless. I couldn't even take it seriously. That attitude carried into 35. Will drop the first warm up set, since I need to take this seriously. I will start alternating this exercise with direct ab work, like crunches or an ab machine or something else.

Calf Raises

10x90

10x110

10x110

Dragged the stupid machine around on the floor till it was in a spot where it didn't wobble. This is feeling better on my shoulder than at the beggining of the cycle. I think because my traps are now stronger. I will move up / stay here next time, depending how I feel.

Stretches

Lower Back

Hamstrings

Quads

Calves

Hips

Full compliment of stretches today.

If not for work, I would be a stronger man today. Unfortunately, I've been running full blast this week. Makes it harder to get quality sleep and stresses me in ways that impact my recovery. We are preparing a system upgrade to go live next week, the release canidate is in UAT finally. Yesterday as we were preparing for hand off our DNS provider started having intermittent outages. Bastards. Hopefully things have peaked and are beginning to settle back down.

On the plus side, I have been strategizing on how to improve my diet. So far the plan for next week is to eat 2 bagels with cream cheese instead of one each day. I will also bring an additional sandwich to work to eat. My grocery order is being adjusted to account for this. The goal is to push out calories from chocolate and pizza, replacing them with calories from healthy foods. I'm working on my 2nd lb of chocolate for the week, and will likely have my 3rd pizza of the week tomorrow or Saturday. Changing this could only improve my recovery. If I can figure out how to reach 3500 calories a day with healthy foods, I will be stronger for it.

04-14-2006 - Workout 32 of 64 - Upper Body at World Gym

Got my 7.5 hours of sleep last night. Felt ready to go this morning.

Actually ended up over 150bpm this time.

Standing Dumbell Press

10x25

10x35

9x35

These felt much lighter today. I'm hoping to get the full reps next week. Would've got them this week if I'd attended to my recovery better.

10x9

10x14

8x14

Will stay here next time. Almost up to 3/4 of the stack. I am really much better at pulling on things than I am at pushing on them.

Various Chest Machines

I tried a number of chest machines. Setting up to press the weight feels good, it's when I come back down for the next rep that my shoulder is bothered. It didn't really feel good on any of them.

Another one of the problems I have is my arms are really stretched far back to use the hammer plate loaded equipment. That leaves me with the selectorized machines. I did find one that lets me use a foot pedal to bring the weight into position. It was the best of the machiens I tried. I'll use it more next time.

At this point laziness is what keeps me from trying to deal with this via a doctor / physical therapist. I wonder if I'll get the motivation to do it at some point.

10x70

10x120

10x120

I was tired from the pulldowns. These were sloppy. Need to stay here next time. I'm not sure how having these in will work as my pulldowns start to get really hard.

L-flyes

10x8

10x8

These seemed too easy. I think they should be harder. Maybe I moved too fast.

Stretches

Lats and Triceps

Upper Back

Side Bend

Lower Back / Chest

Hamstrings

Quads

Hips

Calves

Overall today's workout went well. I'm happy I was able to move the pulldowns up and the shoulder presses felt good. I really need to address my recovery better.

Looking at my recovery factors, my space for improvement is by far and away the quality of my diet. Once I finish my core foods, everything I eat is garbage. A barrier I need to get past with that is buying enough food. Yesterday I ate a smoothie, seeds, and chips for dinner. I just didn't have anything at home that interested me. I need to fix that.

04-15-2006 - Workout 33 of 64 - Grip Work at Home

Was having trouble getting energy up for this workout. I've been eating crap and I think that's why. Starting the new meal approach tomorrow. Also, got a 5 day notice from my landlord for rent non-payment today. Flabbergastenpoopyer slipped it under my door without bothering to see if we were in. I checked my banking online, and they cashed the check on 3/29. Now instead of straightening it out in person, I've got to play phone games. Then I have to make sure it doesn't screw with my credit. Total pain in the butt. I'm going to see what I can negotiate out of the guy though. I would like to have some new double insulated windows installed in the bedroom to block out the train noise...

Grippers

RH: 10xT, 10x#BBSA, 17x#1, 6xBBSA

LH: 10xT, 6x#BBSA, 16x#1, 3xBBSA

That #1 is getting pretty easy. This is by far the best I've ever been at repping the #1. My max gripper close is down right now though. I doubt I could shut my easier #2.

V-bar

1x70

1x90

1x90

1x90

1x90

1x90

9x3x90

3x105

This was wierd. At first the skin on my hands did not feel ready for v-bar. I started doing token reps at 90. As I warmed up, my skin tightened, or toughened, or something. By the end of the sets, I felt like my hands could take 90 forever. This did take a long time, like 30 minutes total. I tried 140 at some point in the middle, but it didn't want to go up. I think knowledge of the potential pain kept me from comitting to it.

Pony Clamp

10xEasy Clamp

10xMedium Clamp

10xMedium Clamp

10xEasy Clamp

Last workout with the pony clamps. Still not touching the medium clamp. I get my TTK from Climber511 when I see my parents tomorrow. I pinched 2 25s off a bench at the gym on Friday with no chalk, so my pinch must be coming up.

Formulator Extensions

Skipped these today, just didn't feel like them. While my wrist extension is stronger, I'm not convinced it's doing much for me.

Skipped these as well. I used up my enthusiasim banging out all the sets on v-bar.

Not bad, not good. Definitely need lower reps to increase my peak grip strength. This period of high reps is probably good for something though. I'm really looking forward to Tuesday's workout. It turns out I'm not going downtown that day, so I'll get to do my upper body work out at home. It'll be fun to combine that with my grip workout. Gonna find out what I can clean and press on my axle. Will be good times.

04-17-2006 - Workout 34 of 64 - Lower Body at World Gym

7 hours of sleep. Feeling pretty good this morning.

Romanian Deadlifts

10x45

10x95

10x145

10x145

These felt pretty easy today. I averaged about 4100 calories a day Friday-Sunday. I attribute it to that.

10x120

10x180

10x260

10x260

Upped the weight a little here since I was feeling good. This is hitting my quads and glutes. I'm thinking about trying to resume the front squats once I drop down to 8 rep sets.

Calf Raises

10x90

10x110

10x110

Probably go up next time.

Ab Machine

10x5

10x10

10x10

10x12

I like this machine. Hope it doesn't hurt too bad tomorrow.

Stretches

Lower Back

Hamstrings

Quads

Calves

Hips

I recovered well this weekend, and my workout reflected that. I brought the extra food to work I need today, hopefully I can eat it all and keep this up over the course of the week.

My shoulder burned all weekend from the chest machines. I tried the chest press machine today with a limited range of motion. It still didn't feel right. I'm done screwing around with flat pressing for awhile. I'm going to go back to the chest fly machine and see what happens. My back is getting significantly stronger than my chest and my shoulders appear to slowly be migrating backwards as a result. Not sure if this is going to create a problem. I take the last class to renew my ACSM cert this weekend. My fiancee and I are in the process of building our prenup. Once those two are out of the way, it I probably ought to look into professional help for fixing this problem.

Scott,

I don't know what your shoulder problem is but if benching/pressing type movements are irritating it try incorperating some light power cleans into your workout. Everytime my shoulders started buggin' I put this movement back into my routine and it clears it up. Especially if your form (like mine) is crap on the power clean and it is all arm whipping motion.

Give it a try, hope it helps

Jon@han

Hey, I'm actually planning to do some power cleans on my axle tomorrow. We'll see if they make my shoulder feel any better.

What's wierd is every time I have a lay off from lifting and then come back, the shoulder is worse. At first it just hurt to do dumbell pullovers, then it was flat bench, next flat dumbell bench, and now even incline dumbell bench.

04-18-2006 - Workout 35 of 64 - Upper Body and Grip Work at Home

Got 7.5 hours of sleep last night. Working from home / on site at a client today, so an unusual approach. My diet kinda sucked today.

Warm Up: Walked up the stairs to my apartment, on the 2nd floor

Standing Dumbell Press

10x18

10x28

10x33

10x33

I've got power block heavy handles. They're supposed to weigh 20lbs, but really only weigh 18. So I did this. Much harder than a similar weight in the gym, probably because of the environment.

Axle Hang Clean and Push Press

1x75

1x95

2x95

1x95

1x115

1x95

1x125 (PR)

This was fun. Hardest part about the 125 was push pressing. The thick bar is tough on the wrists and inhibits my ability to transmit power through them.

Chins

Yeah, so I can only pull myself up about 1/3 of the way. Did that a couple times. Then did a few quick negatives. Be interesting to see if I get to the point of being able to chin myself.

Barbell Hang Clean and Push Press

1x95

1x115

1x135 (Ties PR)

FAILx145

Sweet, totally matched my all time PR on this.

Grippers

RH: 10xT, 6xBBSA, 5x#1 (shallow set)

LH: 10xT, 5xBBSA, 5x#1 (shallow set)

Axle knocked these down.

Climber511 brand TTK

10x5

10x7.5 (cheated like crazy)

3x6+5x5

10x5

Got my TTK from Climber511. It's awesome. I used to have a squeezer from Weightlifter's Warehouse, this is like that, but better, since he put an olympic loading pin on it. I hit my thumbs far harder than with the pony clamps. My pinch will go up with work on this. I need to be careful not to cheat. So far, that means to use it on a bench while seated, with my palms facing up.

And that's it. I skipped formulator and finger extensions cause I didn't feel like it. I'm not convinced the formulator is doing anything for me other than making the tops of my forearms thicker. Since I'm not appearance focused, this makes it hard to stay motivated to include it. The finger extension work is probably only necessary when I start moving up to heavier grippers. The BBSA and #1 are still pretty light.

Overall, looking at what I did, it's probably for the best I'm lifting at the gym in the mornings. I cut too many corners working out at home.

04-20-2006 - Workout 36 of 64 - Lower Body at World Gym

7.5 hours of sleep. Felt sluggish heading off to the gym today.

Warm Up: Elliptical Trainer for 5 minutes, getting heart rate up to a steady 140-150bpm

My heart rate shot right up this morning. Decided to stop at 5 minutes cause I didn't feel like doing cardio.

Romanian Deadlifts

10x45

10x95

10x155

10x155

These went up 10lbs without any real issue. My hands were feeling the knurling on the bar a bit. I need some chalk, might think about bringing a bit in. Doubt it's allowed.

10x120

10x200

10x280

10x280

Increased the weight here again. Probably should stay there next time.

Side Bends

10x35

10x50

10x55

Dropper the lighter warm up set and increased the weight on the last set. Next time I do these, it will be with the 55s for both sets.

Calf Raises

10x90

10x130

10x130

Getting to the 5lb plates would've required me to move 3 25lb plates, so I decided to add 10's instead. It worked out. I'll stay here next time. Almost up to a 45 and 25 on each side.

Stretches

Lower Back

Hamstrings

Quads

Calves

Hips

Inner Thigh

Stretching is good. Everyone should stretch.

Well, shoot, I added weight to every exercise today! Hard to argue with that. Seems like eating a lot and focusing on stress reduction leads to bigger weights in the gym. Who'd of thunk?

Gym is running a special right now - 3 years for $999. Normally a year is $800. I hope they aren't going out of business.

04-21-2006 - Workout 37 of 64 - Upper Body at World Gym

Got my 7.5 hours of sleep last night, but my head just was not in it this morning. I woke up and my shoulder was hurting kinda bad. I've been having more problems ever since that workout where I tried all the chest press machines.

Warm Up: Elliptical Trainer for 5 minutes, getting heart rate up to a steady 140-150bpm

Standing Dumbell Press

10x25

10x35

8x35

Head wasn't in it. I probably could have done more.

10x9

10x14

6x14

I second guessed myself after rep 6 and that just ended things.

Machine Chest Flys

10x60

10x80

10x80

Bent over flys

10x8

4x12

Didn't like how these felt.

Later Raises

10x8

10x12

10x12

This was a good weight.

Stretches

Lats and Triceps

Upper Back

Side Bend

Lower Back / Chest

Hamstrings

Quads

Calves

Inner Thigh

Plenty of time to stretch today.

Wow, this workout really sucked. I think I was tired from yesterday and the unusual work on Tuesday. The shoulder is screwing with my head too. It felt better after the workout, at least. I take the last class for my ACSM renewal this weekend. I'm also going to try to finish as much of the pre-nup stuff as possible. Shoulder doctor becomes next in queue. Gotta find out what is wrong.

04-22-2006 - Workout 38 of 64 - Grip Work at Home

Started the day off with 6.5 hours of sleep, a walk, pizza, chips, and 2 hard lemonades. Then I crashed for another 5 hours, got up and trained grip. Awesome day so far.

Grippers

RH: 10xT, 10x#BBSA, 10xBBSA

LH: 10xT, 5x#BBSA, 5xBBSA

Did a bad job placing the BBSA lefty for the first set. Hurt my reps. Nice to get the 2x10xBBSA righty.

V-bar

1x75

1x75

1x75

1x100

1x100

1x100

9x3x100

3x110

1x120

1x130

This workout was almost pain free. I've now figured out how to warm up my skin for the lift. I need like 6 singles before I'm ready to go. The skin on my hands tightens as I rest between attempts. Honestly, the worst part of all this was my lower back doesn't like doing 38 reps with each hand using 100+ lbs. Gotta find a solution for that. I've got an idea I'm going to bounce off of Climber511.

Climber511 TTK

10x5

10x5.5

5x6

This is moving up nicely, and I expect it to do so for awhile. I really like how this exercise feels compared to the pony clamps. It's so nice to be able to progressively load the weight.

Formulator Extensions

10x5

10x10

10x10

Second set is still sloppy on that last couple reps with 10. Stay here until my new top secret levering impliment comes.

10xGreen

15xYellow

20xYellow

Felt motivated today. I attribute it to having a great time leading up to the workout.

Overall a great workout. The sluggishness I was feeling yesterday is gone. My shoulder was feeling a little better today as well. This was my last grip workout using sets of 10 reps. I have yet to decide whether I will drop to 8 reps or go even lower for the next month of grip work. Guess we'll see how I feel next Saturday.