Building A Bigger Engine For Grip Contests

Scott Styles

Keep it up Scott! At the next grip comp I'd be happy to go over what I know about the squat (or any other lift) with you. I'm sure there will be guys there that know alot more than me that you can get advice from too. We could just grab a rack at Don's and do a few sets - I'm pretty sure Don knows a thing or two about squatting as well.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott Styles

• Starkmann

• gerryg

• chrisof4

Thanks Jeff. Wherever I am at by then, it'll be good to get some insight from a few other guys. I was planning to try to get some help at the last comp, but there were so many other cool things going on I didn't end up taking the time out.

03-07-2006 - Workout X of 64 - Grip Work at Home

My hands felt pretty good today, so I decided to do some grip work. Now that I'm not bending seriously, I think I'll be able to handle gripping twice a week, especially since I've decided to follow the same set / rep scheme as my regular workouts. I don't have a good reason other than that I have always done mostly singles for grip work. Changing things up seems like a good idea.

Grippers

RH: 12xT, 12x#1, 12x#1

LH: 12xT, 9x#1, 8x#1

Used a Mash Monster set on the reps with the #1. Used a wider set with the Trainer, with the Gripper lower on my palm. I'll stick with the #1 for awhile and gradually try to get to 12 reps with each hand using the wider set.

Pony Clamp

12xEmpty

12xEmpty

12xEmpty

Doing this one 2 handed. Will add a rubber band next time. As they start to get harder, I'll make the warm up set happen with an easy pony clamp I have laying around.

Formulator Extensions

12x5

12x7.5

12x7.5

Not easy, not hard. I'll add 0.5lb each workout till it gets tough.

Finger Extensions with IM Rubber Bands

12xGreen

20xGreen

20xGreen

I'll use the yellow for the work sets next time

I also bent a single timber tie. My fake leather finally came in. I ordered 2 square feet, the place screwed up and sent me 1. It doesn't matter, this stuff is horrible for bending. It's foamy plastic and got cut up from a single double overhand bend with a timber tie. Luckily I was careful and started with something light. Looks like the IM Cordura pads are my bending pad of choice.

This workout was fun and relatively pain free. I look forward to Saturday's.

I didn't really think about the fact that I might be in Strong! I'm going to have to subsribe to that once my grip dollars regenerate. The 16kilo kettlebells are back in stock at Gill Athletics, and upon seeing that yesterday, I impulsively bought one.

03-09-2006 - Workout 8 of 64 - Lower Body at World Gym

The day of rest yesterday must have been needed, because I felt great today. I woke up before my alarm, even though I only got 7 hours of sleep. My workout went well and the day just kept going well. I'm happy.

Squats

12xBody Weight

12x45

12x45

The sets with the bar, I started with back squats and switched to front when I lost my patience. The key is, on the back squats I decided no matter how far forward I had to lean, I wasn't going to lose my arch. I only did 3 reps on the first set, 5 reps on the second, but I didn't lean forward as far as I might have expected. I'm wondering if my problem is just a flexiblity issue. The guy in the rack next to me was working on his olympic lift technique, and I saw him doing a stretch kinda like this for the psoas muscle in the hips:

http://www.drbackman.com/psoas-muscle-stretch.htm

I remember from my yoga course that sitting all day causes that muscle to shorten. Doing the stretch certainly felt like it was hitting an area that is tight. The olympic lift guy was going deep on his back squats with 225 and keeping his chest high. So, I'm going to copy his stretch and continue practicing with the bar in the fashion above until I feel ready to add weight. I don't have a good reason why a tight hip flexor muscle would matter when my hips are fully flexed, but I'll give this a shot. At the very least the stretch should be good for my lower back.

Back Extension Machine

12x8

12x10.25

12x10.25

Found a partial plate and used it. Probably a waste of time. I'll go to 11 next workout.

Leg Curls

12x5

12x6

12x6

These were a little harder after doing the full reps on the squat practice and slightly increasing the back extension weight. I will stay here next time.

Calf Raises

12x90

12x110

10x110

These still felt like a waste of time. Yes, my calves were worked. However, I'm bearing the brunt of the weight on my shoulders, as if I was doing a Hise Shrug. My bad shoulder doesn't like it, and I'm too lazy to do these with a barbell. My calves are going to grow anyway once I get my squats figured out. I'm dumping these for some ab work or something.

Stretches

Lower Back

Hamstrings

Quads

Psoas

Calves

I'm always going to like stretching at the end. It's probably my favorite part of the workout. Very relaxing.

1/8 of the way done with my 14 week plan. I'm 12.5% of the way to greatness!!!

I use almost that exact same stretch, without the chair, during my heavy squat sessions. I do notice a depth and strength difference right at the bottom. Be careful though, don't try to set a stretching PR or something in the middle of a workout,, it's very possible to damage things. That said, I love theat stretch.

I do mine on the floor. I do it kind of like a really long lunge and then lean forward.

I've definitely got high hopes for the new stretch. I'm actually looking forward to trying more squats on Monday.

03-10-2006 - Workout 9 of 64 - Cancelled due to Sickness

After my great day yesterday, I woke up at 3:30 in the morning with digestive issues. I only got 6.5 hours of sleep, had a fever, and there was no way I was engaging in vigorous physical activity today. I blame the football sized burrito I had for lunch.

My breakfast today was an ounce of flax cereal and a yogurt. That was so punishing, I didn't eat again until about 7pm, when I had whole wheat pasta with butter and salt. I'm up to about 700 calories for the day. Needless to say, this wasn't quite what I'd hoped for after yesterday's awesome workout. We'll see if I feel up to doing any grip stuff or upper body work tomorrow.

This, among other things, has me thinking it may be time to stop eating out for a month. I currently eat out most days of the week and average about $60 a week on restaurant food. I think for the next month I'm going to cut that back to only eating out if someone else is paying. This is to cover the work situations where I really ought to eat with everyone if the company provides for a lunch time meeting.

03-11-2006 - Workout 10 of 64 - Grip Work at Home

I got 8 hours of sleep last night and am beginning to feel better. I am definitely not fully recovered though. I was having trouble with the Trainer this morning. Luckily as they day went on I got to a point where I decided it'd be a shame to miss my grip workout.

Grippers

RH: 12xT, 8x#1, 12x#1

LH: 12xT, 8x#1, 6x#1

Grippers were down, but still fun. I'll be trying to do 2x12x#1 with both hands next time.

Kettlebell

Since I knew I wasn't setting any PRs today, I decided to play with the kettlebell. Still using the 20k bell. I managed to do some 2 handed swings. To my suprise, I also managed to take it from the ground with one hand, clean it into the bottoms up position, and push press it overhead. That's a PR. I did this succesfully a couple times righty, once lefty. I also failed several times. I felt much more stable than in the past when I was just trying to push press it. Maybe those weights are starting to get me stronger...

Pony Clamp

12xEasy Clamp

12x1 band

12x1 band

These were pretty hard today. A definite sign of yesterday's sickness plus my work with the kettlebell. I will stay here next time.

Formulator Extensions

12x5

11x8

11x8

The kettlebell must have beat on my wrists pretty hard, because the work sets here were brutal. Weight stays the same for now.

12xGreen

12xGreen

12xGreen

I'll probably use the yellow for work sets next time. I got tired quickly today.

I'm up to 2 days without eating out. I really do look to it for entertainment, unfortunately. When deciding what to do for fun today, I had to remind myself multiple times that I'd decided not to eat out for month. I need to find something better to do with my time and money.

Instead I'm taking a nap. Hopefully I can sleep off what's left of this sickness.

Good job on the KB work. Also, congrats on keeping to your committment not to eat out. I know it is hard making changes and sticking with them, but you will be glad you did.

Chris

Thanks for the support Chris.

Attending to Recovery - Workouts 1-10 (Microcycle 1) Results: 85% compliance

I was doing great this cycle until I got sick. Too bad, but at least I'm getting better fast.

Environment and Active Recovery - Daily

1. Wear gloves when outside - 14/14 - 100%

2. Get 7.5 hours of sleep - 101/105 - 96%

3. Play with dexterity balls - 12/14 - 86%

I was actually ahead on my sleep until I got sick! The gym is making me go to bed on time. I'll be dropping the gloves now that spring is here. However, I'll be adding "Don't eat out" to resolve the root cause of what I think got me sick. The exception will be lunch or dinner meetings where my company buys the meal. Those happen once or twice a month.

Core Diet - Eaten Daily

1. Baby Carrots - 13/14 - 93%

2. Lettuce - 12/14 - 86%

3. 1 Piece Fruit - 12/14 - 86%

4. 3/4 cup Berries - 11/14 - 79%

5. Seed Mix of Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, and Brazil Nuts - 9/14 - 64%

6. Flax Cereal - 13/14 - 93%

7. Yogurt - 13/14 - 93%

8. Beans - 9/14 - 64%

9. Iced tea in place of soda - 14/14 - 100%

10. 8oz Soy Milk - 11/14 - 79%

11. 1 additional meal including whole grains (brown rice, whole grain wheat, beans, etc.) - 11/14 - 79%

12. 12oz cup of milk - 12/14 - 86%

13. DHA Capsule - 10/14 - 71%

14. 2 servings nuts - 13/14 - 93%

Should be easier to get these close to perfect the next two cycles while I am not eating out. The foods I missed were due to either eating out and not having capacity for my healthy food or being sick.

My overall recovery feels strong. I think I've got an approach that is working well for me. I'm officially doing 2 grip workouts a week now. I like the dynamic focus I have going on the grip routines. The weights in the gym are gradually moving up. I think I'll be able to hit all my recovery factors today. Hopefully I'm back up to normal for my leg workout tomorrow.

03-13-2006 - Workout 11 of 64 - Lower Body at World Gym

My expectations weren't real high for this workout, nor should they have been. I only got 7 hours sleep last night. Weighing myself after the workout, I'm down 8lbs from last week. :blink Going in and going through the motions was a victory today. Stupid sickness.

Squats

12xBody Weight

12x45

2x45

I'm not sure if these were good. I was focused on just going up and down for the sake of doing it. I did like 6 on the first set with the bar on my back, then switched to the front. The second set just wasn't happening.

Back Extension Machine

12x8

12x11

12x11

These were ok, but it took some will power because of how I felt. I'll stay here next time.

Leg Curls

12x5

12x6

12x6

Tough today. Laying on my stomach made me unhappy.

Knee lifts

8xBW

I decided to add in an exercise that directly works hip flexion. My yoga course says you need to strengthen the psoas to really be able to stretch it well. In any case, these made me feel sick really fast at this point, so I stopped. I hope to do better on Wednesday

Stretches

Lower Back

Hamstrings

Quads

Psoas

Calves

A large part of me wanted to stretch forever so that I wouldn't have to stand to go shower.

I'm glad I went in and went through the effort. I'm suprised how beat down I still am. My appetite really needs to pick back up. I'm going to try and get a lot of sleep tonight.

I competed in the Backyard Bastard Bash in October. I believe there was a contest write up, since it was sponsored by Strong!.

Just a little word here...it is not a good way to build your base strength with machines. What you should really do is to learn basic free weight exercises. No offence man, it's just for your own good. What you are now doing is going to work against you, sooner or later. Strength gained with machines is unsafe, that means if you move to free weights later, you are basically starting from the scratch with bigger weights. You are more likely to get injured then. It is as simple as that. If you are serious about strength I suggest you consider this. AND training with machines is not as effective as training with compound exercises. There are actually tons of reasons why you shouldn't train with machines, but I'm not going there now.

This means hard work but it will pay off. Get some powerlifter or a decent strength coach to teach you. Not some bodybuilder.

Don't want to bring you down in any way, it's just that I've made my share of stupid mistakes in the past with my training when I first started. You shouldn't do those same mistakes. Trust me on this.

Good luck!

03-07-2006 - Workout 12 of 64 - Upper Body at World Gym

8 hours of sleep last night. I actually laid down at 8:30, but it took me awhile to fall asleep. I was feeling better this morning but am definitely not back up to 100%.

Warm Up: Elliptical Trainer for 8 minutes, getting heart rate up to a steady 150-160bpm

Standing Dumbell Press

12x25

12x30

9x30

Got that next rep here. I have 2 more upper body workouts before my reps drop to 10 per set. I should be in a good position to move up to the 35s at that point. Trying to get my 2x12x30 before then though.

Supinated Pulldowns, Shoulder Width Grip

12x8

12x11

12x11

I went up to 11 and got my reps. This took a lot out of me though. The fatiuge from being / having been sick became very evident.

Seated Chest Fly Machine, weight in hands, shoulders neutral

12x5

12x6

12x6

This was really about going through the motions after the pulldown induced sickness. Weights weren't too bad.

Machine Rows, arms parallel to the floor

I sat down on the machine and decided I was too sick to do any more.

Stretches

Lats and Triceps

Upper Back

Side Bend

Lower Back / Chest

Hamstrings

Quads

Calves

I kept my back arched while stretching the hamstrings. It felt good.

All things considered, I'm happy with this workout. I hope my endurance returns by Thursday. This isn't a lot of work at all. I really didn't like skipping the rows.

Good! Just don't rush into anything you are not sure of. Do you know someone who could help you with free weight training?

I know how to do most of the basic free weight exercises safely. I used to get paid to teach them to people, actually. The squat is the one that eluded my grasp for some reason. I'm slowly getting there.

03-14-2006 - Workout X of 64 - Grip Work at Home

I was looking forward to this all day :)

Grippers

RH: 12xT, 12x#1, 12x#1

LH: 12xT, 12x#1, 12x#1

I broke out the chalk and got my reps. It's ever so sweet. I'll do this again on Saturday.

Kettlebell

Proved to my fiancee I could bottoms up press the kettlebell. Did it twice with my right hand. Got it in position a couple times lefty, but couldn't get it up. I also pressed it normally with each hand 3x and did like 8 2 handed swings.

Pony Clamp

12xEasy Clamp

12x1 band

12x1 band

Still need to stay at this tension. I'm not getting the clamp shut as far as I would like. I also made the mistake of not wearing gloves on the first set. Comfortable padding is essential to giving it my all. I think the kettlbell will make progress here challenging.

Formulator Extensions

12x5

12x8

12x8 (lots of breaks)

12x8

The fiancee was spectating this one. She took note of the phalic nature of the formulator and started screaming "Bob Dole" on every rep in the second set. I was laughing so hard it just killed my concentration. I did a 3rd set to make up for it. Even then, I had to settle for grunting every time she screamed "Bob Dole". It was the only way to keep my focus. The woman living in the apartment next door must love us. I'll stay at this weight at least one more workout.

12xGreen

12xYellow

12xYellow

These went better today. The Yellow work sets didn't have the band opening as far as the green sets. I'll be here for awhile.

Overall a good grip workout. I did just about everything I set out to do. I should really be leaving the kettlebell to the end if I want to make good progress on this stuff, but it's more fun than pinch work or wrist work.

03-16-2006 - Workout 13 of 64 - Lower Body at World Gym

I didn't feel like going into the gym this morning. I went anyway and chose to mix things up a little.

Squats

12xBody Weight

3x95 (back)

3x95 (back)

3x95 (front)

2x95 (back)

I was wondering if I needed more weight on the bar to help me get the form. I ended up leaning forward really far at the bottom but kept my back arch. My right knee felt kinda weird. I'm starting to feel during my workout like I need to find a different leg exercise to work on so that my enthusiasm picks back up.

Stiff Leg Deadlifts (Flat back, Lower Bar to Below Knees)

12x95

12x95

12x95

I did not feel like doing the back machine. I wanted to do something with the loaded barbell. So I did these.

Knee lifts

12xBW

12xBW

Not sure how I feel about this movement.

Leg Extensions

12x50

12x50

12x50

Just trying the movement on for size. Not hard, not easy.

Stretches

Lower Back

Hamstrings

Quads

Psoas

Calves

I did my stretching before the workout in an effort to limber up for the squats. It didn't really seem to matter.

In retrospect, I wish I had stuck with the plan. I'm in a funk today because I've been thinking about how I don't really have any serious life goals even though I'm almost 25. The things I used to think I wanted, I worked hard for and got them. Now I don't want for just about anything. That takes away my desire to try. It impacted my workout. It's stupid, I should appreciate my good fortune instead. I have good family, health, and wealth. I should embrace it. I usually recognize this, not sure what's gotten into me.

03-16-2006 - Workout 13 of 64 - Lower Body at World Gym

I didn't feel like going into the gym this morning. I went anyway and chose to mix things up a little.

Squats

12xBody Weight

3x95 (back)

3x95 (back)

3x95 (front)

2x95 (back)

I was wondering if I needed more weight on the bar to help me get the form. I ended up leaning forward really far at the bottom but kept my back arch. My right knee felt kinda weird. I'm starting to feel during my workout like I need to find a different leg exercise to work on so that my enthusiasm picks back up.

Stiff Leg Deadlifts (Flat back, Lower Bar to Below Knees)

12x95

12x95

12x95

I did not feel like doing the back machine. I wanted to do something with the loaded barbell. So I did these.

Knee lifts

12xBW

12xBW

Not sure how I feel about this movement.

Leg Extensions

12x50

12x50

12x50

Just trying the movement on for size. Not hard, not easy.

Stretches

Lower Back

Hamstrings

Quads

Psoas

Calves

I did my stretching before the workout in an effort to limber up for the squats. It didn't really seem to matter.

In retrospect, I wish I had stuck with the plan. I'm in a funk today because I've been thinking about how I don't really have any serious life goals even though I'm almost 25. The things I used to think I wanted, I worked hard for and got them. Now I don't want for just about anything. That takes away my desire to try. It impacted my workout. It's stupid, I should appreciate my good fortune instead. I have good family, health, and wealth. I should embrace it. I usually recognize this, not sure what's gotten into me.

Have you tried adding leg curls in to work the hamstrings? My hamstrings were very weak when I started squatting, and adding the leg curls seems to have really helped. I am sure my deadlifts also help this. Just a thought.

Cool, cool. I ran across an interesting article that deals with the issue of falling forward. Maybe you will find something useful there. I know I did. Good luck in your training.

Chris

http://www.elitefitnesssystems.com/documen...ing_forward.htm