Quest For The 60d

chrisof4

Chris, good job on the bending lately! Also the bench press.

You do a LOT of cardio, IMO. I became very lean, and build good heart by hi-rep squats. I don't run but a couple times a year to test myself, and my times improve with ease even as I gain weight. My heart rate is dropping, and BP is unchanged. Maybe warm up with bodyweight squats (also make a great cardio) and do 20-40 reps with the bar, breathing, and then finally as much weight as you can for 20 or so, breathing well the whole time. Doing this feels about the same as a balls-to-the-wall run afterwards, and you can get MUCH stronger too! I heard cardio before strength training tires the body and cuts into your lifts, and you want to be getting STRONG! Not to mention the intensity of a good lift is like the intensity of a good bend.

And do the squats and deadlifts first, before crunches or any cardio, it's safer that way.

Those are good points about pushing the feet outwards and the head back on the rising part. Don't forget to SIT BACK into the squat, and then when coming up pushing the hips forward as well as the head back.

I really appreciate the motivation you've given me on my bending! The intensity you put into the 60d on your video, in no time you will be squatting 300 for 20reps like its just the bar, and at that time you will be eating broken red nails for breakfast :D

That rocks on the motivation! I was not sure anyone was even reading my log. :D

I know I get tons of motivation from reading other people's logs on this board, so that is cool.

On the cardio, one of my major goals is also to lose some weight. My cardio is all low effort, low heart rate (around 120 for my age) designed to burn fat and it seems to be working. I am down from a high of 197 to 191.5 my last workout. In addition, I know I have put on muscle mass, and my lifts are steadily increasing. I get my aerobic heart work from lifting the weights.

One of the things I have noticed is my back is usually very tight when I walk into the gym, but after my cardio, it has loosened up a lot. I have had back problems in the past, and I am concerned about starting my workout with back work. However, I am also open to good advice, and it sounds like you have had good results doing what you suggest. So I will throw this out to the other grip board members for input. What do y'all think? Should I change the order of my workout? Should I skip cardio only training completely? Thanks in advance for your replies. I will give a lot of thought to this througout the day.

If it matters, I am 37 years old. Thanks.

Chris

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chrisof4

• Left Side

• tmmicklabs

• Grh122

3/8/2006

I did some bending, and I am really discouraged with the results. I can pretty much own a blue anytime, as long as I warm up with some lighter bends first. In fact, I bent 5 blues in my last session. However, the 60D continues to elude me. It is like capturing lightening in a bottle. I bent it once and caught it on tape (thank God or I would not even believe it myself anymore), but I simply cannot repeat it. I don't know what to do. I have been focusing on volume bending the last several workouts, but bending all those blues starts to get expensive. I can't believe the difference between the blue and 60D is that big, but it feels huge!

Do I go back to bending pre-kinked 60D nails? Do I just continue bending blues until I can do 20 in a row? I don't know what to do. If you have any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

Here is what I bent today:

1. TT

2. IM Yellow

3. IM Blue

4. At least 5 attempts at a pre-kinked galvanized 60D (probably about a 5 or 10 degree kink). I got absolutely nothing on this at any time.

I don't know if I am just still that weak, or if my bench/tricep workout last night is killing me. Blaming my workout last night is just an excuse. I guess I am just still too weak to really bend the 60D. :(:angry:

I am always very bad at bending the day after a workout, especially a bench workout.

I would definately reccomend volume. I used galvanized timber ties, work up to 20 of those, then give the 60d a piece of your mind. Volume on IM nails is expensive, better to use hardware store stock.

Keep training, and set some volume goals, attain those first, then try the 60d. Throwing yourself at the nail will not get you anywhere.

You've bent one already, you've got the strength. Believe that, train smart, and you'll embarass 60d's in short order.

I am always very bad at bending the day after a workout, especially a bench workout.

I would definately reccomend volume. I used galvanized timber ties, work up to 20 of those, then give the 60d a piece of your mind. Volume on IM nails is expensive, better to use hardware store stock.

Keep training, and set some volume goals, attain those first, then try the 60d. Throwing yourself at the nail will not get you anywhere.

You've bent one already, you've got the strength. Believe that, train smart, and you'll embarass 60d's in short order.

The timber ties I have are just SO easy. I can burn through 20 of those with little trouble. The grade 2 hex bolts I have are more difficult, but still pretty easy. These cost a little more than the TT's but not quite as much as the IM stock. I guess I will shoot for a goal of bending 20 of these bolts in say an hour.

I can't workout tonight, so I might try bending tomorrow. That will be two days rest since my bench workout. Maybe I will see better results then.

The timber ties I have are just SO easy. I can burn through 20 of those with little trouble. The grade 2 hex bolts I have are more difficult, but still pretty easy. These cost a little more than the TT's but not quite as much as the IM stock. I guess I will shoot for a goal of bending 20 of these bolts in say an hour.

I can't workout tonight, so I might try bending tomorrow. That will be two days rest since my bench workout. Maybe I will see better results then.

I am working on 3 Timber ties today, 20 for me is just awe inspiring. How long has it taken you to get to that point? Did you buy a bucket full of them? :)

I am working on 3 Timber ties today, 20 for me is just awe inspiring. How long has it taken you to get to that point? Did you buy a bucket full of them? :)

I am embarrased to say that I have been bending for over 2 years now, and am still struggling to master the 60D. However, when I started, the TT was impossible until I had been bending for a couple of months. It took me a full year to reach the point where I could consistently bend a yellow, and several more months before I could bend a blue. I seem to progress very slowly.

I have been reading your logs. You are very strong, and progress quickly. I have no doubt you will be melting TT's like they are pipe cleaners in short order. Be strong!

3/10/2006

Time for some volume bending, taking Left Side up on his advice. As I said, the TT's I have are really pretty easy for me, so today I went after the 6" x 1/4" grade 2 bolts, which for me are between a TT and an IM yellow nail. I bent one just after lunch, intending to start a bending marathon, but got distracted until later in the afternoon.

At 3:10pm I started bending bolts again. By 3:30 I had bent 10. It took me another 40 minutes to get the next 10, but I did manage to get 20 of these bolts in one hour.

So, today's total is 21 of the grade 2, 6" x 1/4" hex head bolts. Not bad, but I still struggle with my 60D nails. It looks like I will just have to bite the bullet, and invest more money in either IM or FBBC's 1/4" stock until I can bend the 60D.

Twenty-one G2's in a row is sweet, I'm impressed man.

It sounds like you've got some different nails there, the TT's I've been able to get are close to a blue (galvanized). I would suggest you go to the hardware store and pick up a nice selection of nails, get 5 of each and get maybe 6 different kinds. Look for 7" spiral nails, 8" spiral nails, 1/4hrs, 7" G5, and such. Cut them down to 7" lengths and give them a go, you should be able to find one that is a good challenge.

Then you can go back to the store and pick up 30 of them, then go for volume on those until they are easy. It's cheaper than buying IM this way. I think you can bend G5's at 7", try and get some, when you conquer those you can just cut them down to 6".

2 Years? It's your time Chris, keep training and you'll see some mad progress soon.

It sounds like you've got some different nails there, the TT's I've been able to get are close to a blue (galvanized). I would suggest you go to the hardware store and pick up a nice selection of nails, get 5 of each and get maybe 6 different kinds. Look for 7" spiral nails, 8" spiral nails, 1/4hrs, 7" G5, and such. Cut them down to 7" lengths and give them a go, you should be able to find one that is a good challenge.

Then you can go back to the store and pick up 30 of them, then go for volume on those until they are easy. It's cheaper than buying IM this way. I think you can bend G5's at 7", try and get some, when you conquer those you can just cut them down to 6".

2 Years? It's your time Chris, keep training and you'll see some mad progress soon.

A few of my TT are galvanized too but I am not sure if they are near the blue......... where did you get them?

Great job with the G2's Chris!!! Your bending budget must be through the roof :tongue

A few of my TT are galvanized too but I am not sure if they are near the blue......... where did you get them?

Great job with the G2's Chris!!! Your bending budget must be through the roof :tongue

I got my TT's at Home Depot in a 30lb bucket. They are very easy. I have had others that are more difficult, but I can't say I have ever found any that are nearly as hard as the blue.

Yeah, my bending is killing my budget, which is part of the problem. If I can just get to where I can bend the 60D's in volume I will be set. Those are cheap.

3/14/2006

It was time to test my progress, so I warmed up and went after a 60D but did not get anything. I warmed up on a TT, a grade 2 bolt, and then melted a blue nail. The blue went down so easy, I thought this would definately be the day I bent my 2nd 60D, but it was not to be. I did bend 3 pre-kinked 60D's. I think I will keep working on the pre-kinked in volume and see where I go with that.

Today's bends:

1. TT

2. Grade 2, 6" x 1/4" hex head bolt

3. IM Blue

4. Pre-kinked 60D, kinked to about 40 degrees.

5. Pre-kinked 60D, kinked to about 30 degrees.

6. Pre-kinked 60D, kinked to about 30 degrees.

I have been slacking on the bending lately, and my results show it. I took down several blue nails today, but each one felt like a max level bend. I only have 25 blues left, so I need to place an order soon. I think I will try the Fat Bastard stock next. I have heard reports it is even more difficult than the IM stock.

1. TT

2. Grade 2, 6" x 1/4" hex head bolt

3. IM Yellow

4. 7 IM Blue nails.

I bent the blue nails over a span of several hours.

It is harder. Just buy stuff from the hardware store, it's way cheaper. Try some different nails, cut them down to 7", you'll find ones that suit your needs. Buy those and bend them.

Just buy the IM and FBBC stock for certs, saves your wallet.

• 2 weeks later...

3-30-2006

My bending was very difficult today. My whole body just feels beat up lately, and I have decided to take some days off to heal. Last time I was able to bend 7 blue nails, but, today it was a MAJOR struggle to take down a 3 blue nails, and that was only after resting for several hours after my first blue. It is very frustrating to me that my bending seems so stagnant, yet my lifting has made quite a bit of progress.

Today's bends:

1. TT

2. IM Yellow

3. IM Blue (Felt very hard, and caused more than the usual pain in my left palm, and my right index finger).

4. IM Blue x 2 - This was after about 2-3 hours rest.

5. Attempt at pre-kinked shiny 60D. I might have moved this a degree or so, but not sure.