Quest For The 60d

chrisof4

1/19/2006

I know what you mean, Travis. 7" stock has always been awkward for me. But, it is probably a great step toward mastering more difficult stock. I am running low on yellow's, so I need to put in an order with IM or FBBC soon.

I was motivated by your 20 rep squat attempts, so I did some high rep squats tonight after my cardio workout. Details below.

Weight: 196.5

Cardio: 20 minutes on the treadmill

Squats: 100 x 15 - I forgot how difficult these are. Great workout. I will set goal of 20 reps at this weight for now and will do them on my cardio only nights.

I planned to bend tomorrow, but I noticed a very tender spot on my right hand right where the end of the nail hits. If it is still tender tomorrow, I plan to put my bending workout off a few more days. There does not seem much sense in risking a serious injury.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chrisof4

• Left Side

• tmmicklabs

• Grh122

1/19/2006

I know what you mean, Travis. 7" stock has always been awkward for me. But, it is probably a great step toward mastering more difficult stock. I am running low on yellow's, so I need to put in an order with IM or FBBC soon.

I was motivated by your 20 rep squat attempts, so I did some high rep squats tonight after my cardio workout. Details below.

Weight: 196.5

Cardio: 20 minutes on the treadmill

Squats: 100 x 15 - I forgot how difficult these are. Great workout. I will set goal of 20 reps at this weight for now and will do them on my cardio only nights.

I planned to bend tomorrow, but I noticed a very tender spot on my right hand right where the end of the nail hits. If it is still tender tomorrow, I plan to put my bending workout off a few more days. There does not seem much sense in risking a serious injury.

Great job on those squats. You should be really sore today.

btw..Are you still bending with the craptacular IM Cordura Pads ?

Yep, I am still using the IM pads, Travis. It is all I have. :blink

Don't give me that BS. Get your butt to the arts and craft store and have them cut you 2 pieces.

They need to be 14 inches long by 5 inches wide. I went from a blue to a red in 2 months by switching to leather and by leaning forward and pushing down and forward.

I use them too, can't cert with leather, so why get used to it.

FBBC let's you use Leather to cert with :tongue

Don't give me that BS. Get your butt to the arts and craft store and have them cut you 2 pieces.

They need to be 14 inches long by 5 inches wide. I went from a blue to a red in 2 months by switching to leather and by leaning forward and pushing down and forward.

Do I just ask for any leather? How thick? I might try this. I don't mind using the IM pads, however. Once I get them broke in I feel they work OK. I too am bending over and pushing down, but just not quite up to the 60D in strength yet. Soon...yes...very soon.

Do I just ask for any leather? How thick? I might try this. I don't mind using the IM pads, however. Once I get them broke in I feel they work OK. I too am bending over and pushing down, but just not quite up to the 60D in strength yet. Soon...yes...very soon.

Suese leather that is 2/32" thick.

1/20/2006

Since I did not do any bending today, I played with the sledge a little.

Levering (6lb sledge, top of hand 13" from base of hammer head)

Forward levers - 5R/4L, 4R/3L. Not enough reps. Drop to 12" for next time.

Left/Right rotations - 5 reps, 5 reps. These felt stronger than the forward levers. Stay at this distance.

You are so close I can hardly stand it. Anyday now. I use the IM pads to and Left Side taught me to saturate the pads in chalk. "They should be white not blue." Are you dong this? I found it helped a bunch.

Left side is probably exactly right about saturating the pads with chalk. I am sure they would perform much better. Unfortunately, I do most of my bending at work, and chalk is not condusive to a healthy data center environment. I just can't walk around with chalk all over my work clothes, and I can't risk having it contaminate the equipment.

I am hoping the leather pads will help a little here. Maybe I can get a little tighter wrap with the leather.

Left side is probably exactly right about saturating the pads with chalk. I am sure they would perform much better. Unfortunately, I do most of my bending at work, and chalk is not condusive to a healthy data center environment. I just can't walk around with chalk all over my work clothes, and I can't risk having it contaminate the equipment.

I am hoping the leather pads will help a little here. Maybe I can get a little tighter wrap with the leather.

You can get a lot tighter rap with the leather.

I found that if I fold the IM pads over the nail before rolling them up, then pull on the pads as I roll, I can get a really tight wrap with them. But, I did saturate mine in chalk.

I have the solution, bend at home.

I walk around school with chalk all over my clothes, most people know why, but people that don't know me think I'm a derelict.

1/21/2006

I bought some leather pads today. Not quite the dimensions Travis recommended, but I think they work OK. The fabric store only sold them in 8 x 11 sheets, so I bought two of these. Then I cut one of them in half long ways so I have a pair of pads that are 4 x 11 inch. I had some old stock around the house, so I dug it out and here is what I did today.

1. 6" x 5/8" fully threaded stock - This was pretty soft and bent easily. It snapped on the crush. It was good for testing the pads and warming up.

2. IM Blue - Took this down in one attempt. It was good to see some of the old strength coming back.

3. 60D nail pre-kinked to 30 degrees - This was tough, but did fall for me. Previous best with a 60D is pre-kinked to 45 degrees, so I guess this is a PR of sorts.

4. Attempt at straight 60D nail - I got a visible kink in this, but no further.

5. 7" x 5/8" fully threaded carriage bolt

6. 6" x 5/8" fully threaded carriage bolt

7. Attempt at 60D pre-kinked to 30 degrees - I got nothing on this.

So, I do like the leather pads, but I can't say they made a huge difference. I did get a PR of sorts on the 60D, but I probably could have done that with the IM pads also. It will be interesting to compare on Tuesday when I have both sets of pads at work. I am getting close to the 60D. I can feel it. :)

1/21/2006

I bought some leather pads today. Not quite the dimensions Travis recommended, but I think they work OK. The fabric store only sold them in 8 x 11 sheets, so I bought two of these. Then I cut one of them in half long ways so I have a pair of pads that are 4 x 11 inch. I had some old stock around the house, so I dug it out and here is what I did today.

1. 6" x 5/8" fully threaded stock - This was pretty soft and bent easily. It snapped on the crush. It was good for testing the pads and warming up.

2. IM Blue - Took this down in one attempt. It was good to see some of the old strength coming back.

3. 60D nail pre-kinked to 30 degrees - This was tough, but did fall for me. Previous best with a 60D is pre-kinked to 45 degrees, so I guess this is a PR of sorts.

4. Attempt at straight 60D nail - I got a visible kink in this, but no further.

5. 7" x 5/8" fully threaded carriage bolt

6. 6" x 5/8" fully threaded carriage bolt

7. Attempt at 60D pre-kinked to 30 degrees - I got nothing on this.

So, I do like the leather pads, but I can't say they made a huge difference. I did get a PR of sorts on the 60D, but I probably could have done that with the IM pads also. It will be interesting to compare on Tuesday when I have both sets of pads at work. I am getting close to the 60D. I can feel it. :)

Awesome job on that prekinked 60d.

It won't be long now.

1/22/2006

I worked several exercises into my routine that I have not done in many months. I dropped the weight and concentrated on my form, and on nice steady reps.

BW: 195

Treadmill: 20 min.

Crunches: 20, 20

Hypers: 11, 10

Leg press: 90 x 10, 110 x 8, 130 x 8 - Start at 110 next time. I think I could have done more weight.

Cable Row: 70 x 10, 85 x 8 - Start at 85 next time.

Lat pulldown: 85 x 10, 85 x 8

Side bends: 35 x 10, 35 x 10 - Try 45 next time.

Stiff legged deads: 35 x 10, 40 x 10 - Try 50 lbs next.

Very tired when I was finished.

1/24/2006

Bending workout with leather pads

1. TT

2. 6" x 1/4" grade 2 hex head bolt

3. IM Yellow

4. Attempt at dark colored 60D pre-kinked to 30 degrees - Missed this completely

5. IM Blue

6. IM Blue

7. Shiny 60D pre-kinked to 30 degrees

8. Shiny 60D pre-kinked to 20 degrees - I got this but it took two separate attempts

9. Attempt at 60D with minor kink - Missed completely

10. IM Blue - Very difficult by this point

11. Attempt at grade 2 hex head bolt with IM pads - Missed completely

12. Attempt at the same grade 2 hex head with leather pads - Missed completely

I decided to stop here before I embarrased myself further. Good workout overall. 3 IM Blues is my best bending workout since I started training again.

I think these shiny 60D nails are somewhat easier than the dark colored ones I have. I am almost out of the shiny ones. When I run out, I may need to drop back down to a 45 degree kink in the dark ones and work up from there. The dark ones are what I mostly find for sale in my area.

1/24/2006

Bending workout with leather pads

1. TT

2. 6" x 1/4" grade 2 hex head bolt

3. IM Yellow

4. Attempt at dark colored 60D pre-kinked to 30 degrees - Missed this completely

5. IM Blue

6. IM Blue

7. Shiny 60D pre-kinked to 30 degrees

8. Shiny 60D pre-kinked to 20 degrees - I got this but it took two separate attempts

9. Attempt at 60D with minor kink - Missed completely

10. IM Blue - Very difficult by this point

11. Attempt at grade 2 hex head bolt with IM pads - Missed completely

12. Attempt at the same grade 2 hex head with leather pads - Missed completely

I decided to stop here before I embarrased myself further. Good workout overall. 3 IM Blues is my best bending workout since I started training again.

I think these shiny 60D nails are somewhat easier than the dark colored ones I have. I am almost out of the shiny ones. When I run out, I may need to drop back down to a 45 degree kink in the dark ones and work up from there. The dark ones are what I mostly find for sale in my area.

Awesome bending workout Bro.

1/24/2006

Thanks for the kind words, Travis. The bending is coming along nicely. The 60D should finally fall for me soon.

I worked out at the gym tonight.

BW: 196.5

20 minutes on treadmill

Crunches - 15, 10. I do these on an incline bench, and I went back lower on these tonight. This resulted in lower reps.

Hypers - 10, 6. I was really feeling these in my lower back and quit before I pulled something. Significant improvement is needed in this area. :blush

Squats - 90 x 5, 120 x 5, 130 x 3, 140 x 2

DB bench press - 40 x 8, 45 x 5, 40 x 8

Military press - 50 x 8, 50 x 6

DB Rows - 45 x 8, 45 x 8 - Increase to 50 next

Tricep press - 80 x 8, 80 x 4

Lateral Raises - 10 x 10, 10 x 6

L-flys - 5 x 10, 5 x 10

I totally did not want to go work out tonight, and was in fairly sour mood. Once I got through my cardio and started my squats, however, I slipped "into the groove" and had a good workout. I was glad I went.

I know the feeling, you feel like crap before going and you have to drag yourself into the gym, but once you're lifting, there's nowhere you'd rather be.

1-26-2006

I worked out at the gym tonight.

BW: 196

Cardio - 30 min on the treadmill

Crunches - 20, 15

Hypers - 13, 11

Deadlifts - 100 x 5, 100 x 5. I was really fighting a cramp in my lower back. I think I will skip hypers on the nights I do deads, or perhaps move the deads to later in the workout.

Military Press - 50 x 8, 50 x 9. 55 next time.

Curls - 50 x 8, 50 x 4, 40 x 5

Lat raises - 5 x 15, 5 x 13

Traps - 15 x 8, 15 x 6

Lat Fly's - 5 x 10, 5 x 10

Finished with 5 min. in the steam room.

1-28-2006

I am miserable sick today. Not the flu, because it is not in my chest, but body is achey all over, throat is sore, and I have a temperature. Basically, it sucks.

I had planned to bend today, but right now it takes significant effort just to stand up. Maybe tomorrow. I normally get over being sick very quickly, so we will see.

1-31-2006

So, I have been in bed sick with strep throat for the last 3 days. I don't recall ever having strep throat as an adult, but man, it sucks! It took out me, my wife, and both daughters all in the same week!

Thank God for antibiotics. Within 24 hours I turned the corner, and started getting better. I plan to resume training on Thursday.

2-2-2006

I bent my first 60D nail today! I was very pumped. I was actually capturing videos of myself for fellow gripboard members to critique, and caught the bend on tape. I was pretty happy about that.

Here are today's bends:

1. TT

2. Grade 2 Hex head

3. IM Yellow

4. IM Yellow

5. IM Blue

These were all done at work today. Then I quit so I could capture some bends on video tonight. Here is tonight's workout

6. IM Yellow

7. IM Blue

8. Galvanized 60D nail

I am looking forward to being able to bend these in volume now, and then on to the grade 5.

I will be working out at the gym later tonight.

2-2-2006

I was still pretty high from bending the 60D nail when I went to workout tonight. I felt like I was invincible, but my body was to remind me otherwise. < <

Not a terrible workout, but not a great one either. I feel completely recovered from my bout with strep throat, but I think my body was still recovering. Here is the workout.

BW - 193.5 I lost about 3 pounds while sick.

Crunches - 20, 12. Lower back started spasming slightly

Hypers - 15. Still trying to work the lower back loose.

Leg Press - 130 x 10, 150 x 10 This felt very good. Start at 150 next time.

Cable row -85 x 10, 85 x 12. Up to 100 next time.

Lat Pulldown - 85 x 10, 85 x 10. Up to 90 next time.

Side bends - 45 x 10, 45 x 6. I really started feeling this in my lower back again.

I ended here. My back was just sending too many red flags. I was supposed to do stiff-legged deads and dumbbell rows, but I skipped them.

It still felt good to be back in the gym. I missed my workout on Sunday and Tuesday because I was sick.