Quest For The 60d

chrisof4

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah!

9 days since your last bending workout, 3 days out sick, first day back and you hit your goal for a PR. NICE!!!!

Great job man. Isn't it good to hit a goal? Isn't funny how quickly we set a new one?

Video?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chrisof4

• Left Side

• tmmicklabs

• Grh122

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah!

9 days since your last bending workout, 3 days out sick, first day back and you hit your goal for a PR. NICE!!!!

Great job man. Isn't it good to hit a goal? Isn't funny how quickly we set a new one?

Video?

Thanks, Ox. I have a PM into Eric about how to get the video up on the board. I should have it up in a day or so.

It is funny how we set goals. I am not too serious about the grade 5 yet, though. I have not nearly mastered the 60D's, and I know I have some other ones that are quite a bit more difficult, so those would be a more immediate goal. The cool thing about the 60D nails is, people like to see nails and bolts bent. Steel bars are OK, but they cannot really relate to them. They go gaga over the nails, so I am eager to really master the 60D's.

2-2-2006

I bent my first 60D nail today! I was very pumped. I was actually capturing videos of myself for fellow gripboard members to critique, and caught the bend on tape. I was pretty happy about that.

Here are today's bends:

1. TT

2. Grade 2 Hex head

3. IM Yellow

4. IM Yellow

5. IM Blue

These were all done at work today. Then I quit so I could capture some bends on video tonight. Here is tonight's workout

6. IM Yellow

7. IM Blue

8. Galvanized 60D nail

I am looking forward to being able to bend these in volume now, and then on to the grade 5.

I will be working out at the gym later tonight.

Outstanding.

This is a huge milestone Chris.

Your hard work and determination has finally paid off.

2-5-2006

I guess I need to start a new log now, since the description of this is not accurate now. I don't feel like I really "own" the 60D, however. I guess I will maintain this one until I am trashing the dark colored 60D's I have which I still cannot bend.

I worked out at the gym last night. My workout started great, but I waited too long between meals and crashed hard at the end.

BW: 193 - I am trying to get this number down around 185, unless my muscles just explode, and my fat all melts away. Then I am shooting for 225! :rock

Cardio - 30 minutes on the treadmill

Crunches - 25, 15. PR on the first set. These felt really good tonight.

Tricep Press - 80 x 8, 80 x 6. PR on the second set for reps

Squats - 100 x 11, 100 x 9. These kicked my butt. This is where I began to feel my energy slipping.

DB bench press - 40's x 8, 40's x 8. I barely got the last rep of each set up. Do this weight again next time.

Lateral raises - 10 x 10, 10 x 9. I had to rest far too long between these sets, and I felt like crap at the end of each set.

I was supposed to do two more shoulder exercises, but I skipped them. I went home, drank a protein shake, ate some food, and collapsed into a chair. I started to feel better in about 30 min. I have to remember to eat closer to my workouts.

2-7-2006

I did some light bending today, but felt an unusual pain in my right hand at the base of my index finger (on the top of the hand). It was a burning pain I have not felt while bending before. Seems pretty minor, but I decided to stop, and try to bend again later in the week, or maybe even the weekend.

Today's bends:

1. TT

2. 6" x 1/4" hex head bolt

3. Attempt at yellow. I got an initial kink but this is where the pain really set in.

Tonight is a workout at the gym.

2-7-2006

I went to the gym tonight, and had a much better workout than the last three trips. I am still not losing any weight, however. That is a relatively low level secondary goal, and I am not gaining any weight. Hopefully another month or so will show a trend downwards of at least a pound or two.

My back felt tight and twingy (as it normally does), but in spite of this, my deadlifts felt very good. My form felt good, and I am slowly adding reps. Also, my ab work is improving, and this normally helps improve my lower back. Overall, my lower back is feeling better than it has for a while.

As much as I hate stretching, I am beginning to add it into my routine. I am tight as a drum most of the time, and have poor flexibility, so I am trying to improve on this.

BW: 194

Cardio: 30 minutes on the treadmill keeping my heart in the fat burn zone (around 120 for me).

Crunches: 20, 18

Deadlifts: 100 x 7, 100 x 6. My goal is 2 sets of 8, and then I plan to move up to 120 lbs.

Military press: 60 x 8 PR, 60 x 6

Standing barbell curls: 50 x 8, 50 x 6. I am seeing very slow, if any progress with these. Not a big deal, but I like to see some increases over time.

Lateral Raises: 5 x 20, 5 x 15

L-Traps: 15 x 8

L-Flys: 5 x 10, 5 x 10

Edited by chrisof4

1/24/2006

Bending workout with leather pads

1. TT

2. 6" x 1/4" grade 2 hex head bolt

3. IM Yellow

4. Attempt at dark colored 60D pre-kinked to 30 degrees - Missed this completely

5. IM Blue

6. IM Blue

7. Shiny 60D pre-kinked to 30 degrees

8. Shiny 60D pre-kinked to 20 degrees - I got this but it took two separate attempts

9. Attempt at 60D with minor kink - Missed completely

10. IM Blue - Very difficult by this point

11. Attempt at grade 2 hex head bolt with IM pads - Missed completely

12. Attempt at the same grade 2 hex head with leather pads - Missed completely

I decided to stop here before I embarrased myself further. Good workout overall. 3 IM Blues is my best bending workout since I started training again.

I think these shiny 60D nails are somewhat easier than the dark colored ones I have. I am almost out of the shiny ones. When I run out, I may need to drop back down to a 45 degree kink in the dark ones and work up from there. The dark ones are what I mostly find for sale in my area.

Great job on the volume and bending the blues like that :rock

2-8-2006

Good point on the tight hammies, Scott, and I agree. I have neglected stretching for too long, and I think it is catching up with me. It is time to get more serious about including that.

Thanks for the encouragement on the bending, BigT.

I really like squats, and I have been doing some research so I can do them better, because I totally suck at them. I knew I was leaning too far forward, and my research confirmed it, but I can't stay upright otherwise. As near as I can tell that is because I have weak hamstrings and gluts.

I have really been interested in the information I found on box squats and their ability to teach proper squatting form. Tonight was not really a workout night, but I wanted to experiment with what I learned today.

I am using a 5lb bucket that sits about 15.5" off the ground, so I am definately getting down past parallel, but not so far that I will hurt myself. I did 20 reps with no weight at all just to get a feel for going straight up instead of forward. Just doing that I can tell how poor my form has been because this felt completely different, and I am very clumsy. I keep having to fight falling over backwards.

Then I unloaded my straight bar, and did another 20 reps with just the bar for a little weight. Again very clumsy, and I am still fighting going forward, but with the box it is much easier to shoot straight up.

Just this little bit of work tired me out quite a bit, and I feel very weak in my hamstrings and gluts. Several times I tried to go up, and went right back down. Next time I am going to load up 60 lbs and try again, seeing if I can maintain my form. I plan to stick with high reps on these for now so I can really practice my form and hopefully figure out how to do these properly. I am excited to see what kind of progress I can make.

2-9-2006

Correction from my last post. I actually do know that they are glutes and not gluts. :blush

I had a very good workout at the gym tonight. It feels like my work is starting to pay off. My lower back felt good all day, and also felt good at the gym tonight. I have been stretching my hamstrings and back for 30 seconds at a time several times a day, and I think that helps a lot. Here is tonight's workout.

BW: 193.5

30 minutes on the treadmill

Crunches: 20, 15

Lat Pulldown: 90 x 8, 90 x 10. 95 next.

Leg Press: 150 x 8, 150 x 8. Thes felt very strong. 160 next.

Cable row: 100 x 8 PR 100 x 7

DB Rows: 50's x 6, 50's x 5. The last rep of each set was very sloppy.

Stiff legged deads: 50 x 10, 50 x 10. These felt great. Move up to 60 next time.

Somewhere in there I tried to do weighted side bends, but my lower back started to spasm, so I stopped after 2 reps. Even though my back felt great, I decided it was prudent to listen to the warning. Overall, this was my best workout since I was sick a few weeks ago. I have friends coming into town next week who are skeptical of my bending, and are asking for a demonstration. I plan to rest from bending all weekend, and maybe I will even be able to bend a 60D for them. My next workout is probably on Sunday.

2-12-2006

I had a great workout at the gym tonight. My back is really responding to the training, and it did not feel sore at all tonight. I could feel fatigue a few times, but no real discomfort. Set some PR's and finally dropped my weight below 193. Here is tonight's workout:

BW: 192.5

Cardio: 20 min. I wanted to do 30 min, but I did not get to the gym early enough.

Crunches: 20, 20 PR. This is my first time hitting 20 reps twice since I started working out again.

DB Bench: 40's x 10, 40's x 10. PR doing 10 twice 45's next.

DB Shrugs: 40's x 10, 50's x 10. 50's again next time.

Box squats: 60 x 20, 60 x 20. These KICKED MY ASS. There were several 1 second pauses on the second set. Still, I think I am getting a much better understanding of proper sqaut form. Do 60 again.

Tricep Press: 80 x 8, 80 x 8 PR. Barely got last rep of last set. Do 80 again.

Front raises: 10 x 10, 10 x 10. Again

Lateral Raises: 10 x 10, 10 x 7

At this point I crawled out of the gym and into my truck. VERY tired. Great workout overall. If I watch my diet, I am hopeful I can be down to 192 next weekend.

2-14-2006

I have been swamped at work lately, so I did not have time today for a proper bending workout. What little I did sucked, so maybe it was for the best.

1. TT

2. 6" x 1/4" grade 2 hex head bolt

3. Attempt at galvanized 60D - Nothing

4. Attempt at IM Yellow - Bent it about 30 degrees, but got stuck.

I also worked out at the gym tonight.

Cardio: 25 minutes

Crunches: 19, 15

Sumo deadlifts: 100 x 8, 100 x 8. Increase to 110 next time.

Military press: 60 x 8, 60 x 6

Curls (wide grip on EZ bar): 50 x 8, 50 x 5, 40 x 5

DB curls: 15 x 8, 15 x 6

My back was a little sore, but felt good overall.

2-15-2006

I did a little bending today, but mostly just messing around.

1. Finished yesterday's IM Yellow

2. IM Blue

3. Attempt at galvanized 60D, but barely kinked it.

I have kind of plateaued, but I also have not had the time to really focus on bending this week. I need to get back to volume, especially with the pre-kinked 60D's.

Volume bending is definately the way to go.

Agreed. Next week I take my eyes completely off the 60D, and focus on volume bending again.

Today, just a little messing around again, in between cabling up 18 new servers.

1. TT

2. Grade 2 hex head bolt, 6" x 1/4"

3. Grade 2 hex head bolt, 6" x 1/4"

4. Attempt at galvanized 60D nail. I only got a minor kink.

2-16-2006

I had a good workout at the gym tonight. My lower back was really acting like it wanted to cause me problems before my workout, so I was kind of concerned. But, after my 30 minutes of cardio and some concentrated stretching focusing on my hamstrings and lower back, I felt pretty good. My back seems to get stronger each week. It is nice to see some progress in this area. Here is tonight's workout.

BW: 192.5

Cardio; 30 min.

Crunches: 20, 20

Cable row: 100 x 8, 100 x 10 PR. 115 next.

Lat pulldown: 95 x 8 PR, 95 x 5. Focus on making the bar touch your chest.

Leg curls: 50 x 8, 80 x 10, 90 x 8. Just starting these again. Do 90 again next time.

Side bends: 25 x 10, 25 x 10, 35 x 8. Remember to keep your core tight. 25 for first set next time, then 35.

Stiff legged deads: 60 x 8, 60 x 8. These felt very good. Nice and slow and kept my core tight. Do these again.

DB Row; 50 x 7 PR, 50 x 6

Agreed. Next week I take my eyes completely off the 60D, and focus on volume bending again.

Good plan. Discipline is an important part of bending. It pays in the long run to sometimes stay away from what you want to bend, and do the workout that will make you stronger. Good stuff.

2-18-2006

I did some bench pressing today. I was in the middle of doing something else, and on breaks I would go squeeze in a few bench presses, so there was a lot of time between these sets.

90lbs x 5

110 x 5

120 x 3

125 x 3

130 x 2

135 x 2

140 x 2

145 x Miss...so close. =)

It was a good workout. I am pretty sure 150 is my all-time single rep max, so I am not that far from beating that. I have my normal workout at the gym tomorrow.

2-21-2006

I did some volume bending throughout the day. I managed to totally avoid the 60D nail until the end of the day. Here are the results.

1. 8 TTT

3. IM Yellow

4. IM Blue

5. IM Blue, this one took two separate attempts

6. Grade 2 hex head bolt

7. IM Yellow

8. IM Blue, This one fell very fast.

9. 60D galvanized nail. I managed to get about a 20 degree kink in this, but all other attempts yielded no results.

On Thursday or Friday, I will try to do another volume workout.

2-21-2006

Worked out at the gym tonight.

Cardio: 30 min on the treadmill

DB Shrugs: 50's x 10, 55's x 10. Do the 55's again

Box Squats: 60 x 11, these felt very strong. 80 x 10, 100 x 8, 120 x 5. I am really feeling these in my hamstrings, which I think is good. I am concentrating on "spreading the floor" and pushing my head back into the bar. All this makes it much easier to go up instead of forward.

DB Bench: 45's x 6, 45's x 7 PR

Tricep press: 80 x 8, 85 x 5 PR

Traps: 10 x 10, 10 x 10

Front raises: 10 x 10, 10 x 10

Lat raises: 10 x 8, 10 x 8

My back was sore from moving some furniture this weekend, but in spite of that tonight was an awesome workout.

2-23-2006

Worked out at the gym tonight.

BW: 193.5

Cardio: 30 min. on the treadmill

Crunches: 20, 20. I am starting to go deeper in the incline on the first several reps.

Deadlifts: 110lbs x 7, 110lbs x 6

Military Press: 60lbs x 8, 60lbs 7

Standing EZ curls; 50lbs x 8, 50 lbs x 7. I cheated the last rep of the second set. I have kind of plateaud on these. I am not overly concerned, as biceps are not a major factor in my program, but I do like to see steady improvement. I need to keep an eye on these.

2/27/2006

I am tracking only my bending workouts in this thread now.

Here is today's bending:

1. TT

2. Grade 2 hex head bolt, 6"x 1/4"

3. IM Yellow

4. IM Blue

5. IM Blue

6. IM Blue

7. IM Blue

8. IM Blue

9. Attempt at pre-kinked galvanized 60D, but got nothing.

This is just a reminder I need to warm up adequately. When I picked up the grade 2 bolt this morning, I could not even kink it. But, after another attempt, I was able to mash it quickly. Each bend felt difficult, but on the last 2 or 3 blues, I was taking them down in about 10 seconds each.

2/28/2006

I did some light volume bending today. Hands were still pretty tired from yesterday, but still had a good light workout.

1. TT x 10

Chris, good job on the bending lately! Also the bench press.

You do a LOT of cardio, IMO. I became very lean, and build good heart by hi-rep squats. I don't run but a couple times a year to test myself, and my times improve with ease even as I gain weight. My heart rate is dropping, and BP is unchanged. Maybe warm up with bodyweight squats (also make a great cardio) and do 20-40 reps with the bar, breathing, and then finally as much weight as you can for 20 or so, breathing well the whole time. Doing this feels about the same as a balls-to-the-wall run afterwards, and you can get MUCH stronger too! I heard cardio before strength training tires the body and cuts into your lifts, and you want to be getting STRONG! Not to mention the intensity of a good lift is like the intensity of a good bend.

And do the squats and deadlifts first, before crunches or any cardio, it's safer that way.

Those are good points about pushing the feet outwards and the head back on the rising part. Don't forget to SIT BACK into the squat, and then when coming up pushing the hips forward as well as the head back.

I really appreciate the motivation you've given me on my bending! The intensity you put into the 60d on your video, in no time you will be squatting 300 for 20reps like its just the bar, and at that time you will be eating broken red nails for breakfast :D