My Shoulder Rehab

David Horne

Nice idea. I feel with all the info I'm getting, and my dogged aproach to getting this injury sorted I will succeed.

Thanks again to all,

David

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• FrankyBoy

• honk

• moser1972

I think you will succeed, as well. However, cuff tears/sprains are notoriously nasty & lingering. I've been cautioned a few times that just because my shoulder "feels" okay, doesn't mean I should go right out & attempt max attempts. However, I do know that keeping a continued, diligent focus on doing "wimpy"-type "yoga" exercises (External Rotation, Cuban cleans, pushups, arm/scapula stretches, etc.) has almost certainly helped keep me from feeling hurt shoulders for quite some time. Whereas before, man it seemed like every 3 weeks my shoulder was hurting.

Did the stretches that Franky gave me tonight and also got the broom just behind my head, sore though.

Also tried and did 2 x 28kg dumbells on the Incline bench and did a set of 9. Then 16/13 reps with 2 x 22k d/b's and 35 with 2 x 10k's. 17 reps on the Press ups follow.

Also did some bag hitting tonight. It was nice to do some jabbing with my left, albeit slower. A month ago this was such a no-no!

Very pleased with today, even though I'm still miles away from the chest work I was doing last year like 180k on the bench.

David

Awesome progress David.

Keep the great work. :rock

Today,

Lots of stretches-Pain!

Incline Bench 2 x 28kg dumbells for a set of 10. Then 15/10 reps with 2 x 22k d/b's.

One Arm Rows and 12-9-6-3's on the 5 exercise Arm medley.

David

By the way, when my shoulder is eventually normal I think I'll keep some kind of dumbell work in for the area.

David

Later after the Weighted Toolbox carry I Log Pressed 35k for 20 reps. Stretching done as well. Got the broom a few inches behind my head, but ooh nasty 'dead arm' pain.

All good news though.

David

Dave,

Thanks. It has certainly been a painful route so far.

By the way, great pics of Zuver's gym on your site. Love the 500lb blob and 1,000 2 hand blob lift pics.

David

Stretches.

Chins 5/3 reps

Log Press 40k for 20 reps.

One Hand Tricep Press 2 sets each hand

Got the broom halfway behind my head a few times, but yes nasty 'dead arm' pain as usual.

David

Keep at it David.

With your tenacity you will fight that injury down soon.

You're a role model for all who suffered from a major injury. :bow

Cheers Franky!

(AM)

Stretches.

Log Press 45k for 14 reps.

Shoulder Horn ex.

Got the broom halfway behind my head a few times, with less pain today.

Other training later.

David

(PM)

Stretches

Tried Bench Press with a bar and still can't get the bar to touch chest. On a narrow grip it's an inch off my chest, normal grip about 2" off and more painful. Even tried reverse and although I could touch my chest it was so painful on my wrist, as my left hand doesn't seem to fully supinate anymore!

So stuck with Inclines.

Incline Bench 2 x 22kg dumbells for a set of 20/18. Then 36 reps with 2 x 10k d/b's.

This lack of flexibility and nasty pain can get you down.

David

Good luck with your recovery! Don't hurry up and be careful, David.

David,

after my arm break and a 7 weeks immobile arm my shoulder probably was much more stiff than yours currently.

After many weeks (~ 2 months) of physio I reached the level you are currently fighting at.

What helped me alot afterwards were those classic gym machines:

- Butterfly (normal and revers) with extended arms

- Shoulder Press

- Lat Pull Down

and so on.

Little weights, slow movements, many reps.

It took me another 2 months or so but I nearly fully regained my flexibility.

(PM)

Stretches

Tried Bench Press with a bar and still can't get the bar to touch chest. On a narrow grip it's an inch off my chest, normal grip about 2" off and more painful. Even tried reverse and although I could touch my chest it was so painful on my wrist, as my left hand doesn't seem to fully supinate anymore!

So stuck with Inclines.

Incline Bench 2 x 22kg dumbells for a set of 20/18. Then 36 reps with 2 x 10k d/b's.

This lack of flexibility and nasty pain can get you down.

David

David,

When I tore my shoulder up it took quite some time to be able to do any pressing. I originally injured it doing dips. When I got back into it, I started doing DB Benches, if I kept my arms perpendicular to my sides I still felt pain. What worked for me was angling my hands in at 45 degrees and my pain went away and I slowly started adding weight. When I got my strength up to where my last set was 100lbs, I wanted to incorporate dips again but couldn't do a single rep. I then started doing negatives, a single rep to start, then slowly another. When I felt comfortable, I tried to get a single positive rep and got it. I'm back to doing reps again with weight. Next up was overhead pressing. Using 10lbs made my shoulder fell as if was going to fall of, so what I did was went to a steep seated incline bench. I found my grove and started progressing up again. I am 48 years old and have been through my fair share of injuries along the way. Be patient, listen to you body and slowly work around the injury. It will come back.

Franky and Denis great info and advice. Yes it's bloody slow to get back. Also as you said Denis some exercises are coming back whilst others are impossible. Obviously the shoulder is a very mobile joint with many angles of motion.

Anyway, the dumbells and log are the best things so far. Straight bar is a no-no on all!

David

David,

whats with the classical advice?

Swimming!

Too bad.

You might imagine that the back stroke could be very helpful too.

Perhaps you can at least try it once? :)

David,

I hope everything goes well for you.

I'm going to an Orthopedic surgeon next Monday to find out what is wrong with me.

When I do a flat bench press I can't touch my chest because of both shoulders in pain and I can't lockout the arms due to both elbows in pain.

All 4 of those joints hurt so bad onetime I couldn't even put my shoes on and tie them.

It hurts when I get dressed for work.

If I ever have to get in a fight at work I'm going to be in big trouble.

It's starting to really mess with me, I can't do anything I want to do.

Hopefully you can get your joints sorted out. Maybe try Glucosamine?

Shoulders tonight, in among the rst of training;

Lateral Raise, Front Raise, Press, Alternate Press, Row

Circuit above done with light dumbells, and done for 9 reps on each exercise all the way through, then 6, and finally 3 reps, without putting the dumbells down.

David

(PM)

Stretches

Tried curling with an ez bar but had to stop because of the pain in my wrist due to my left hand not being able to fully supinate! But could do reverse curls ok. So I can do reverse curls or dumbell curls.

Press ups 15 reps

Then shoulder horn ex and L'flys for lots of sets of 20's.

At least I can still work some grip, legs/back and cardio properly.

David