My Shoulder Rehab

David Horne

The start

My rotator cuff tear happened on 6th October 2005 whilst training with Nick McKinless.

I couldn't barely move it for about a week, and it was in a sling for about a month. I started some left hand grip stuff on 25th Oct (competing in the Champions grip comp on 12th Nov), and also started my shoulder rehab at around the same time. The diagnosis from the consultant was torn rotator cuff, but he believed it could come back on it's own possibly without surgery in about 6 months.

This was the rehab I went through daily; heat lamp x 3, hot bath x 1, massage x 3, passive stretches x 3, stretches x 3, baby exercises x 2-3, anti inflamatories x 3, Vit C 2,500mg, Glucosamine 2,000mg, Hi dose multi vit, whey protein x 2. I am lucky I work for myself, and this allowed me to do this type of constant rehab. I learned this constant rehab from our national sports centre rehab section when I was there for 4 weeks. The pro footballers, gymnastics, etc were with me and it was 8 hour a day rehab! No wonder they get athletes back quick!! We used to be all totally knackered!

Now.

My rehab daily is massage x 1, stretches x 3, anti inflamatories x 1, Vit C 2,500mg, Glucosamine 2,000mg, Hi dose multi vit. I also train daily and do rehab pump set on arms and shoulder every day.

Shoulders is;

Lateral Raise, Front Raise, Press, Alternate Press, Row

Arms is;

Reverse curls, Hammer curls, Zottman curl, Supination & Pronation, Curls.

Both of the circuits above are done with light dumbells, and done for 15 reps on each exercise all the way through, then 12, 9 and finally 6 reps, without putting the dumbells down.

This has worked well at getting plenty of blood into the area, and it also works the muscles in a lot of different movements. It has kept some of my musculature and some strength, and most importantly hasn't injured it anymore.

But how strong is my shoulders now?

Weak! Firstly I couldn't even do a press-up. On the bench press I tried a 20k bar, and although I could do some painfull reps, I couldn't get the bar to touch my chest by about 2"!

Suprise!

My oldest son Jason came back from Uni for xmas the other day, and we went and trained. He wanted to do some Incline's with dumbells. I jumped in and suprised myself, that after 3 or so reps my shoulder kinda freed itself, albeit with some noise, and also I was getting full depth with the dumbells. I was overjoyed with what happened and have included this exercise daily since. I am now doing a set of 20 with 2 x 22k dumbells!! I do a few sets with this weight and then do some 30+ reps with 2 x 10k dumbells, and boy does the shoulder/pecs feel pumped, warm and good! The other day I also did 4 press ups, which was beaten yesterday by 10 more reps.

I don't know how far the rehab will improve, or even if I still will need surgery as I still am short of about 8% full range of motion. But we shall see, also I don't know if I'll get my big benches back or if I'm even bothered but time will tell. In the mean time I am training my grip, back and legs all fine.

I put this info here in case it can be of any use to any of you. I'll keep you posted.

All the best for 2006,

David

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• FrankyBoy

• honk

• moser1972

glad to hear your shoulders recovering david :D

i thought i was goin to beat you in this comp :cry lol

doolash

be careful david the incline dumbells is what makes my rotar cuff tear everytime so i have eliminated them from my training

Thorsten,

Thanks for the info on the Shoulder Horn. Anyone used one?

Doolash,

We should have some fun on the day.

Dan,

How does bench press or decline press feel then for you?

David

Thorsten,

Thanks for the info on the Shoulder Horn. Anyone used one?

Doolash,

We should have some fun on the day.

Dan,

How does bench press or decline press feel then for you?

David

my bench is coming along slowley some days it hurts and others i never knew i hurt it i will warm up with 135 for 15 reps take about a 3 min break go to 225 do this for 10 go to 275 for 12 then add a ten to each side till i max out for that day i never do inclines anymore. flat dumbells feel fine to do and military presses are ok if i were you i would watch the inclines once you hurt it as much as i have it taked double and triple time to heal and with all the contests your in you dont need that :erm

Dan,

Thank's for the info. I'll keep a note on things. Right now I'll stick with dumbell inclines as they are far less painful than any other chest exercise.

David

David - I bought a shoulder horn last year after developing some problems after losing a snatch to the rear. It seemed to help quite a bit - I had been doing rehab without it but after getting it - the shoulder did seem to improve more rapidly. It's a very useful tool I think - it allows the training of the smaller shoulder rotator cuff muscles with the elimination of the large exterior ones normally necessary to just holding the dumbbell etc up in the air. I especially found it useful with bands and used them quite a bit in my rehab. It seemed to give me an ability to work the target muscles more directly. While it's no magic pill, I think it does have real value for rehab of rotator cuff injuries.

I have a shoulder horn, but I dont think anyone needs it.

You can do the shoulder horn exercise without it.

I like the shoulder horn movement with no shoulder horn even better.

Hi David

Glad to hear your recovering.I noticed you used glucosamine in your recovery.Did you try anyother supplements? The reason I ask is Devils Claw and Ginger are great .Devils Claw is a natural Anti Inflamatory and the ginger is great for the joints and tendons.I get mine from Holland & Barrett over here in the UK.

Ive recommended Devils claw to a few of my friends and they said it worked great.People react differently to supplements but it might be worth a try with the ginger.

Also nettles are great for joints etc .My grandfather who was interested in herbs and natural remedies stopped the onset of mild arthritis.I say mild because it wasnt full blown but bad enough to affect his joints.He went out everyday picked wild nettles and boiled them then drank the tea.It looked and tasted really bad but he regained the movment and health back in his joints and the swelling vanished it was amazing how well it worked.Im not suggesting you go out and pick wild nettles but you can buy nettle tea and tablets from Holland & Barrett.

Dont know if this advice will help but im sure it cant hurt

Regards Mark

Bob Whelan has often recommended slow DB presses - 8 seconds up, 8 seconds down for 4-6 repsx2-4 sets for shoulder rehab. I've used it when I've had bursitis and it worked well. I've often heard that NSAIDS and Vit. C can cancel each other out, and NSAIDS may slow down healing. If you're in pain, particularly if it interrupts your sleep, though, they can be useful. At least take them a few hours apart from each other. Another natural anti-inflammatory you might want to try is a good quality fish oil supplement, 2 grams 2-3x daily. If you take it, make sure to take at least 200 I.U. natural vit. E with it as well. Great for your joints and just about everything else. mercola.com has lots of info on this. I second the Devil's Claw and Ginger. Check out Turmeric also. Best of luck with your rehab.

Chuck,

Some great info, and I really appreciate all the stuff posted from everyone. I will look into it all tomorrow, and plan accordingly.

David

Good to see your recovering David.

What sort of price do 8 hr rehab sessions last as I take it is not NHS.

I have always been a bit put off by what some of the physio and chiropractors round here charge (about £40 an hour)

Nice to hear its getting better, David.

It might be a painful way for a full recovery but if one can take it then its you.

good luck on recovery and just build up slowly on weights for shoulders and be patient and you'll be back...you grip master you :happy

I'm doing the exercise, that the big guy is doing with a pair of blue dubbells in the link.

But I use less ROM, I start with arms bend parallel to the floor and bend at elbows at 90°.

Then it's like the two last pictures of that exercise.

rotator stuff

Ok this link should be better for you:

rotator2

If you start this exercise with arms parallel to the floor, you get less deltoid involvement.

But I dont know what style hits the outward rotators better.

Christoph,

Did the shoulder horn style exercise tonight with 1/2kg discs, and it felt good. Also after this I could do the stretch better in this final position, and with less 'dead arm' feeling. Also did 16 and 15 reps on the press up.

Thank you.

I will get some Devils Claw when I go into town soon.

David

I have a shoulder horn, but I dont think anyone needs it.

You can do the shoulder horn exercise without it.

I like the shoulder horn movement with no shoulder horn even better.

I do something which I believe is akin to the shoulder horn movement, a.k.a. "External Rotation." I don't see why it can't be done freely with no support at all, but I do use support, just not a Shoulder Horn. The gym I go to has a central piece of equipment on which you can do pullups, dips, and, elevating yourself & resting on your elbows, you can do leg-raises. At this leg-raise station, I stand on the floor & put my elbows & forearms on the pads (which are at ~shoulder height). With my forearms laid out flat, hands in front, I raise dumbells up, rotating only at the elbows (obviously, shoulders rotate too). Raise the db's up till elbows are perpendicular to floor, then drop back down until parallel. I believe this is an "External Rotation," and it's basically the same motion you do in a Shoulder Horn. As said earlier, External Rotations hit the smaller muscles of the delts/rotator cuff which other large delt movements usually don't work.