The Propsal

Number Ten Ox

So I started working out again today. Well actually yesterday I went curling up in Canadia for the first time, so I guess that's like excersise or something.

Played with grippers during the day to warmup and got a bit closer with my extended 3.

Got home and melted a 60d. Wrapped a new G5 and kinked it real quick, took a quick double take on it to make sure it was really a G5 and then crushed it down hard.

I actually ran all over the house looking for my tape cause I didn't know if it was under two inches or not. Turns out it was open just over an inch. I guess that's what I get for crushing my 60d's to 3/4".

Went and lifted with a friend for a it. He didn't get what I was doing. I guess not everyone does 2 sets of 5 reps. Hmm...

I did get my biggest bench ever of BW +20 #'s and almost did BW +30#s but he helped with a finger spot.

Also pinched 2 25's to a deadlift again.

Fun day back!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Number Ten Ox

• Left Side

• dadams

• climber511

Today is the first official day of spring break, thus I am back on the board. Things have just been too busy with school/work/interning to properly dork around but today new inspiration arrived in the form of a 50# hex with a handle attached (THANKS BEN!)

All I can say is the gravity must be lighter out east cause that weight loved to just sit there on the floor refusing to lift off of the ground. Stupid weight.

Ended up getting my 30# hex plus 20 added pounds (50 total) and then goofed around with my new toy trying to figure out a way to lift it.

I also tried my v-bar again for the first time since I bought it 6 weeks ago and was able to get up 205#. Not bad considering I haven't trained it at all! Still can't quite figure out the hand placement yet but I was having decent luck today pre-loading my hands in an upwards directions so they didn't slide as much on the galvanized pipe.

Haven't really been training exept for the odd lift here or there. Other things I have done in the last 3 weeks...

Got 2-25's pinching with 2 fingers and a thumb, pinched 3-10's on a loading pin plus 20 #'s (50 total), bent another G-5 bolt, got a little farther out with my hose clamped 3.

Nothin to exciting.

Now a week in Mexico and when I come back I plan to seriously overtrain next quarter!

• 3 weeks later...

My lab got cancelled today and I recently re-accuired my #1 and #2 from a friend so I was motivated today.

Warmed up a bit with the grippers (#2 felt really good with the left today!)

Got home and started playing with my 30 block weight and decided to try a rafter pullup.

I did a dead hang rafter pull up with ease!

I couldn't believe it so I did it again, no problemo.

Wow, didn't feel like I have been training that much, just here and there but I guess I am getting stronger.

Nice.

The hex 50# I got from Ben Edwards is going a little better. I put some athletic tape on it so it's not so slippery and now I can pick it up (briefly!) from my bed. The extra spring from the bed and tape make a ton of difference. Feels like I'm making progress though. Soon.

Ooo, just realized that today I met one of my hard goals for the year! One down, many to go.

Rafter pullup, HELL YEA!! :rock

What width were the rafters?

USB- the rafters are 24" apart from the centers.

Wes- I weigh 152# today.

Today-

Did a few more @ 24" and also did a few from 48"- quite a different feeling!

I also managed to jump off the ground and pinch the 24"ers and also did a few "type-writer lock-offs" from the 24"ers.

I think that besides the block weights I have been playing with DO BENDING of all things has really helped on this feat. I really have not trained for this at all but every time I grap the rafters I am suprised by how much force I can SQUEEZE out. It's all about the pecs.

Rest day.

Ok ACTIVE rest day.

On Wed the new Home Depot ad comes out and so I am left with a cart full of flyers just waiting to be torn.

I worked my way up to a couple of big tears the best being

3" of phone book type paper. 3" was after I ripped it though I was able to compress it down to about 2.5". Still a good tear.

Then I stopped by a friends to drink a beer and he happened to have a couple of real 2" phone books which I couldn't help but do grip n' rip style.

Someday I'll grip n' rip the 3-6" ers...

Today-lots of PRs

Quartered a deck in record time.

Did a bunch of rafter pullups including 1.5 in a row. (almost two!)

Went to gym and did

plates-2-25's + bar and 5lbs pinch (pr)

hub-55lbs

v-bar 210 (pr)

People were really curious when I brought out my v-bar but interestingly enough I had no takers...

Dips BW+ 55#'s (pr)

I also did a PR Bench Press but I haven't really worked on it to much so it's still weak...

fun day.

I just realized that yesterday my two hand total for the v-bar was 420#.

HA!

420 on 4-20...

Funny to me.

Todays workout should have been better after 3 days off...

Warmed up at home with:

30# block weight pinch stuff

30# block by the face to (almost!) full DL (PR!)

couldn't quite pinch my 25 and 35# plates off the ground. Next week?

@ the gym did:

Bench

Dips-BW (155) + 60# x 5 reps (PR!), BW + 55# x 5

DB incline press

One handed Dead Lift-100#plate with 20#'s added x 2x5 (fun-need to find better way to DL w/ finger tips only...)

Heavy Side Bends

Tricep Pressdowns

Wrist Curls

Back @ home:

grippers #1 x 5

#2 x 1

#2 x 1

Choked #2 x 5 - ton of sets (20 sets?)

Choked extended #3 -about 15 singles

#1 x 25+long hold/overcrush

Not a bad day, a few PR's...

Edited by Number Ten Ox

Thanks Ben, feels like my pinch is starting to take off lately. I am curious to see if my chest workouts will help my bending at all. Gotta load up on nails and give er a go again soon.

TODAY Home Depot put out a new add so I got to tear into a whole cart full off paper. Just image a basket full of phone books of any size you want to try and rip. Good stuff. Ripped for about a half hour straight. Grip n' rip and cheater style.

Got home and did grippers for a bit. Couldn't quite MM set my extended #3. I can get it choked, hose clamped, braced but not MM set. Dang.

Then I tried my gr8 #3 and it's so hard. Don't know if I'll ever do that thing. How can people do it after only a few months training?

Tomorrow bending, v-bar, pinch, Deadlift/rack pull. Maybee pinch.

Thanks Don I know it's not supposed to be easy. Guess it'll just be that much better when I get it.

Duct taped two standard 5# plates to the sides of my 8# sledge today. Cheaper than buying another hammer. Wasn't going to do levering today but... new toys... you know.

Still going to the gym toady later to do rack pulls, back work etc. Hopefully v-bar. Maybe pinch. Tomorrow bending and grippers since I got the day off from work.

There is a new swing set @ the dog park and so I climbed four of the support poles today. They are about 2.5" thick and 14" tall. No problem right?

My elbows are killing me! I think it is elbow tendonitis left over from climbing. I guess I better step up the contrast baths/ extension/rotation work.

@ gym

v-bar-maxed @ 205

dissapointing, really feeling tired from all the tearing and levering!

Pulled 365 from the rack though which is a PR. Wish I could do a full Dead of that much! Soon.

Also did a few pullups w BW + 45 #'s. Think I will try these for awhile as singles and doubles w/ heavy weight and see if my elbows feel better. Reps seem to kill me.

bending

2-60d's

6" g5

6" g8 only kinked it (first try @ g8)

7"5/16" hrs (PR!)

7 3/4"x1/4" square stock (pr!)

after the square stock I noticed a huge blood blister so that's it for todays bending.

Might go climb later @ a friends house. It's only been like two months since I climbed last-I may as well try it...

• 2 weeks later...

Blood blister healed enough to try and do a pinch workout today.

PR! Did a full DL of a 25-35# plate. Never even floated 60#'s before so it kinda came outta nowhere, whoot!

Also tried doing some power cleans which are fun and did good today on rack pulls. Almost up to the weight I did on the top (no pulling from the 2nd pin...)

Also did BW +60# Pullup.

• 5 months later...

I'm back, full progress report to follow. Been paddlin these things called surfski's. See here.

www.huki.com

www.oceanpaddlesports.com

Full body workout! Having strong arms helps, I'm catching up to the fast guys in town. And the fast guys in town include some of the best kayakers in the US!

More later.

Pics of a race 2 weeks ago. This is what I have been doing instead of climbing or lifting.

http://www.soundrowers.org/photography/200...06/PICT5539.JPG

http://www.soundrowers.org/photography/200...06/PICT5592.JPG

http://www.soundrowers.org/photography/200...06/PICT5597.JPG

http://www.soundrowers.org/photography/200...06/PICT5600.JPG

Only grip work the last 5 months has been squeezing grippers while driving to and from class and occasional levering or phone book tearing @ work.

Bent a few nails the other day to try and get re-motivated. Got 2 5/16" x 7" (PR!) Time to get pumped again!

Todays bending workout to follow.

Wow, forgot how painfull this stuff was!

Warmed up with grippers:

Everlast x 5

#1 x 1

Filed #2 x 1

HG250 x 1

Extended #3 x 1

Bending:

6"x1/4" square stock (pr)

6" x 1/4" Grade 8 -fail

5.5" x 1/4" G5 -fail

6" x 5/16 g2 bolt felt easy

6" x 1/4" hrs-fail

All this failing had my fingers hurting from my harsh IM pads so I tried a spike for the first time.

12" x 3/8" galv spike to 45degrees.

Need to work on the techniqe apparently. Spikes are funky...

I only bent two things today, not a great re-start. Ah well. May be time to find some leather pads.

I love rowing, when my family and I go on vacation to Wisconsin I row out fishing real early (4:30am) quite relaxing.

Glad to see the log up again :mosher

Ordered some reds on Sat night. They were waiting for me when I got home tonight.

I'm resting today feel like crap so I am not going to try and bend any.

Maybe I'll just see what a red nail looks like wrapped up with my pads...

Of course I couldn't resist and had to try a red. Sadly after 15 minutes of effort the nail looks a lot like all the 23 others Iron Mind sent me (they shorted me one nail, I only got 24)

I did put a penny kink in it, so that's something. But I have a lot of work to do.

I tried some new suede wraps over my IM pads and tried a 6" G5 and snapped the thing! Guess I can get a bit more force with the new wraps, have to keep expirementing with leather though.

Edited by Number Ten Ox