I,ll fight ya for 12th spot :D

:blink lookin at the events there could be a lot of us in 12th place! :yikes

;) dont worry Twig we will look after you! :inno:laugh

Neil

I,ll fight ya for 12th spot :D

:blink lookin at the events there could be a lot of us in 12th place! :yikes

;) dont worry Twig we will look after you! :inno:laugh

are we all in 12th, lol, think possitive :D

Have you decided what weight the 2 handed pinch and RT will be? Will we be allowed a thumbless grip on the RT?

I've really got to start working my thumbs!

David,

I always try my best, and consider that if I acheive my best, then I win, doesn't matter how I do compared to everyone else! I just know how much ribbing I'm gonna get from Mobster and the Wirral boys :)

Err that depends on whether or not I come, never mind enter. I can and will rib yer online mind ha ha :flame

Rules for Peter Horne Memorial Grip contest 2006

No wrist straps, gloves, wrapping or taping of any kind will be allowed on any event. Ordinary chalk is permitted, nothing else is allowed.

1. Two Hands Pinch Lift for reps

The width of the pinch apparatus is adjustable to suit different hand sizes. Before the event starts, you will be given the opportunity to try it and find your best width. The smooth-sided, adjustable-width disc is held on a 2” thick metal rod by a pair of collars. Extra weights will be added to the outsides. The top of this is grasped with an overhand pinch grip and lifted until the end of the bar touches an horizontal stick placed at 16.5” from the floor. There is no referee’s signal. You do not have to be erect upon completion. You must lower the weight under control. If the outer discs accidentally touch the stick before the bar itself, referee’s discretion will be used to judge whether the correct height was attained. The stick will be kept in place for the 90 seconds duration. The referee then indicates whether the lift was passed by counting. Pinch gripping the discs using an unorthodox underhand grip will not be allowed.

Weights to choose from will be 60k, 70k, 80k, and 90k. A single repetition with a higher weight will always beat any amount of reps with a lower weight.

One attempt will be allowed.

90 second duration.

2. Middle Fingers Deadlift /Hacklift

For the deadlift or hacklift (whichever lift is preferred) the weight will be lifted with the middle fingers of each hand only around the bar. An Olympic bar will be used. The bar must be returned to the platform under the lifter's control for the lift to be completed. Heels and toes may rise during the lift, but foot placing may not change. The lift is completed when the legs are straight, the shoulders are erect, and the bar motionless. The lift will be completed upon command of the referee.

Rules for the deadlift; the bar must not be bounced or hitched or lowered at any time during the lift.

Rules of the hacklift; the bar will be placed behind the lifter. The bar may touch the calves and the rear of the upper legs as it rises. Should it bind against the upper legs, the bar may be stopped momentarily while a hip adjustment is made. The bar may not, however, be lowered during the movement.

Three attempts will be allowed.

A rising bar will be used on this event.

3. Rolling Thunder for reps

We will be using the official 15" loading pin and large carabiner that IronMind sells.

The lifter grabs the Rolling Thunder handle in approximately its centre and lifts with the handle remaining approximately parallel to the ground. A thumbless grip is not permitted. Any contact between the lifter's hand and the non-revolving portion of the handle disqualifies the lift. The lifter must fully straighten up; once standing straight, the lifter gets a down signal from the referee, and must then return the weight to the ground. Contact must be maintained between the lifter's hand and the handle until the weight is resting on the floor. The referee then indicates whether the lift was passed by counting.

Weights to choose from will be 60k, 75k, 90k, and 100k. A single repetition with a higher weight will always beat any amount of reps with a lower weight. Once started only the chosen hand can be used.

90 second duration.

4. Total Wrist Tester

For both the front and rear part of the event both handles will be grabbed and the apparatus is lifted till the legs are straight; bending at the waist is allowed. The weights must be placed on the tray across the line drawn to start. If the weights fall off at anytime during the lift, this is a cause for failure. The lift is performed to the front first, and then lowered under control to the box. Weight can be added or taken away for the second part of the lift which is performed with the apparatus at the rear. The same rules apply to this part as well. The successful weight of both the front lever and rear lever is added together for your poundage score.

Three attempts will be allowed.

5. Weighted Toolbox Carry

The Peter Horne Toolbox will be laden to 98lb (45 kg). It will be carried in one hand (no changing hands allowed) over a distance of 128 metres. The fastest time will win. If you have to put the toolbox down, your distance will be marked.

Once started only that hand can be used.

Lifting order and scoring is strongman style, i.e. last placed competitor goes first in the next event, and points are awarded 10pts – 1pt for say 10 competitors. In the event of a tie in an event, the points of those positions are combined and then halved.

I can see now where David's strength comes from - his dad was quite a strong man - some very good lifts there.

Graeme,

There is no entry deadline, as there is no prizes or entrance fee. But a headcount would be nice, just tell me when you know.

Cheers,

David

hi david

can i ask, the toolbox has it gotta be carried to the side of your body or can u carry it between the legs?

mike :)

Mike,

I know my dad carried it to the side. But I don't think that straddling it will lose the spirit of the feat. So yes if you want to straddle and walk it's fine.

One thing, get those obliques strong, because carrying one item is tougher than carrying two.

David

Mike,

I know my dad carried it to the side. But I don't think that straddling it will lose the spirit of the feat. So yes if you want to straddle and walk it's fine.

One thing, get those obliques strong, because carrying one item is tougher than carrying two.

David

thanks david but if your dad was to carry it at the side then i will train for it because i feel it would throw the feat out a tad so cheers anyway :bow

mike

:D its not the winning its the takin part,we know mike will give his all,your getting stronger by the week,just need a bit more determination,im sure on the day you will be ok,as will all us newbies!i am really lookin forward to the challenge and our coming weeks of training! :cool

Dave and I gave this a go today - I was still catching my breath back in the house drinking my second cuppa!

We also measured the course out - 4 x 32m - so three turns. This is going to be a hard, and memorable, event at the end of the comp :)

Yeah good fun. Jim covered the distance in 42.8 secs. We will probably have a 64 mtr course with one turn so that 40 secs can be touched/broken.

David

We will be including an attempt at the Rolling Thunder World Record prior to the contest using a new handle. This has been given the ok by Randy Strossen. The weights used are all weighed (on a post office scale).

David

Those are great news!

Hopefully Mob can make it there too.

Those are great news!

Hopefully Mob can make it there too.

I have no plans to attend at this time. Jim W PM'd me to let me know about this but as per another thread or two I may 1) still have this bloody annoying right shoulder ache (actually sore to the touch) and 2) there may be a Rolling Thunder competition in March so I could have an earlier opportunity. I DO intend visiting Stafford for a workout between now and then.

Gazza,

I'd say Steve and Jim have the best chances, but I'm not too far behind even with the normal grip.

It'll be nice if someone can get it on my dad's day. :)

David