Double Underhand Training Log

EricMilfeld

Good idea, guys. So I'll go for a six incher now. By the way, I changed our subtitle for the post again.

I've found 5/16" HRS all over the map. The stuff I bought at Ace just happens to be a bit easier than a Red. It's the Steel Works brand.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• smp76

• carusom1

• FrankyBoy

Eric-

I have been to Ace, Menards, Lowes, and Home Depot. All of them carry Steel Works. I'm not yet sure about the 5/16 but the 1/4 CRS doesn't seem that bad. Not a huge difference from the HRS.

Maybe I should order from the FBBC, from what I have read, their stock is difficult.

I have some 5/16 HRS and CRS from Steel Works. I'll give it a go on Sunday and see what happens.

glad you are going for the 6".

Yep, the FBB stock is a bit tougher than the Red Nail stock. Unless I'm mistaken, all of the FBB stuff is CRS.

Let us know how you make out with that Steel Works steel.

October 9, 2005

Relative to my last workout, today's was kind of lackluster. I wonder if I didn't rest long enough. I have a sneeking suspicion I've my work cut out for me going after a 6" DU Red. I look forward to the challenge.

1/4x6" CRS x3

kinked a 5/16x6.5" HRS

kinked a 5/16x6.75" HRS

1/4x6.75" square plated

5.75" grd 8 (took it to 60 degrees in one motion)

By the way, the 1/4" CRS round stock I use is from Metal Supermarket, and is darn near as tough as grd 5 stock. In other words, it's atleast as tough as the FBB stock. At 5/16" it's perfect for training my DO. Also, technically my last two bends today were PRs, but I don't think they're as impressive as an uncut Red. I'll redeem myself next workout. The Red I bent a few days ago was the last of the bunch. Time to place another order.

Hey, do you other guys work out or not? :ohmy:)

Eric-

awesome work! I have a good feeling about you getting the 6" RED!

I have a hard time bending the shorter pieces DU. I would like to hear if you have any advice with the DU shorter pieces?

Mike

Thanks, Mike!

One thing I have noticed is the need to regrip the bar a few times with pieces in the six inch range. I'm able to get atleast a 60 degree bend in one continuous motion with the longer pieces. Other than that my technique seems to be the same, but I am new to DU and may discover that there are some minor technique differences as I become more experienced. I know one thing, my wrists and the top portion of my thumb pads are some kind of sore. I thought I'd try some hammers for the heck of it today and discovered the pain in my thumbpad area was too great. I have a big, mean callous developing there now.

Sunday Workout

timber tie 60d

1/4 x 5 1/2'' HRS

grade 5 x 5 1/2''

1/4 x 7'' Square

3/8 x 7'' all thread (first time I have ever tried this, the fold was tough but like with other all threads, the crush is easier)

5/16 x 7'' HRS (SteelWorks) PR!!!

5/16 x 7'' CRS (SteelWorks) PR!!!

grade 8 x 6'' PR!!! (but couldn't get this SOB under 2'', so I don't know if it counts!? ; stayed at about 2 1/2'')

1/4 x 6 1/2''

1/4 x 6'' PR!!!

1/4 x 5'' (I actually had to do this DO )

timber tie 60d

I was trashed after this! This was the toughest bending workout, I've had yet. The toughest bend was the grade 8. 6'' feels so much more uncomfortable than the 7'' pieces DU (at least for me). 7'' isn't too bad getting past the 60 degrees. Shorter pieces make this much tougher to get past 60.

Eric, I think you have your work cut out for you (but then again, I wouldn't be surprised if you did it next workout :D )

Edited by carusom1

Holy cow! What a workout, Mike! Getting those two pieces of Steel Works tells me that Red is right around the corner. May I suggest that you try one next workout?

I actually need to order them first.

I didn't think I would be in contention so quickly.

and when I do go for the RED, I will make sure and get it on film

Sweet work both of you, and incase you both were wondering I will post my work out after I do it Monday. I am thinking I will get a video camera and get some rapid fire grade 5 bends on tape. Then some HRS 5/16" stuff, I have the steel cut and ready to Monday and then we will hit it. All the PRs you guys are making is awesome :bow I am honored to be in the race period.

-Sean

Sean-

go get it bro! I love nothing more than to see all of us get this.

look forward to seeing how the workout goes on Monday.

Mike

Monday's Workout:

(1) 60d Nail

(2) grade 8s both bent to at least 45-50 degrees before turing to crush down

(1) 1/4"X7" square stock

(3) 1/4"X6.5" square stock

(1) HRS steel Works 5/16"X7" attempt and fail, not even a wobble :angry:

Eric, I think the HRS 5/16" stock I have is just below or as hard as a Red. It is super tough. I killed the grade 8s and the HRS 5/16" just laughed at me.

Going to buy more grade 8s today and get some Reds from Deaner. I meant to grab them the last time I was over there but forgot! :blink

-Sean

Sean, very nice workout. You found the right stuff. When I did the Red immediately after the Steel Works bar of the same dimension I noticed an ever-so-slight difference in strength. It's almost too close to call. You're still much closer than you think. The workout before I did the Red I could only put a tiny wobble to the Steel Works bar. But going all out on that 7" length of steel is great isometrics training. Don't underestimate its value!

How did the 6.5" square feel? Also, did you try taking the grd 8s beyond 50 degrees?

Keep up the great work! :rock

Eric,

I did take the first grade 8 past 50 degrees but it was so hard to do, it took a while 25-30 seconds. I did find the 6.5" square stock easier than the grade 8s though...It was weird but the crush down was way easier for me than the grade 8s. I plan on getting some volume on the grade 8s as soon as I get a truck load. I am super stoked though! I have come so far I can be nothing but excited. :D This race is great :bow , I am constantly chomping at the bit.

I almost feel like I need another day of rest, when I started today it was slow going, I felt weak and needed to get slamming. This weekend will rock though.

-Sean

Sean-

nice work with the grade 8s. :flame

I'm glad this race is going well for all of us. Stay healthy and keep firing into that steel!

I put in an order for ironmind last night. I checked prices to order from FBBC; will get that out tommorow.

take care

Mike

I'm back in town so come on by and grab some before they are all bent.

Sweet man, I am going to Juneau on Wednesday and will be down there for a student government conference ( know BIG dork ) but I will be in the area on Sunday so I may swing in then and by that that time I should be all rested up and be able to give a few grade 8s and a Red a go!

Mike,

Thanks man. The grade 8s are only getting easier and to think a few weeks ago they seem oh so far away.

-Sean

todays workout:

just got the the IM pads and REDS

the IM pads gave plenty of support, didn't hurt the hands at all, they are just very slippery, which makes them a little unsafe I think but oh well ( I thought I used a lot of chalk on them, but next time- even more)

Timber Tie

1- 1/4 x 7'' square

1- grade 5 x 5.5''

RED- got it to 60 degrees DU, flipped it over and couldn't finish it (I was so F$#@ing pissed that I couldn't finish it)

next Sunday, this SOB is going down, ERRRR :flame

5- 1/4 x 6'' square

1- grade 5 x 5.5''

3- grade 8 x 6'' (couldn't get these under 2'' again, just outside of it at 2 1/4'', it fells like I bent them and they just flex back on me)

3- 1/4 x 5'' HRS (DO)

I fell like my crush and sweep are weak. These were my strong points in the past and now my kink is a strongpoint. NO EXCUSES, but my shoulders were blown out from the bench workout today. I need to start doing gripper closes to work the crush. And stop crying like like a little girl when I can't sweep the steel shut!!!

Great job Mike! :bow

I am glad you are having success with the DU form. You are so close to getting the whole thing done. Man, I better get a move on. :D I will be headed to Deaners tomorrow and getting some real Reds and pick up a few more grade 8s. I will post my workout tomorrow. hit some HRS 5/16" and some higher volume with grade 5s, I still have about thirty from that box of 100.

If I can not get to Deaner's then I will just

Great job again Mike, I am liking the variety of your bends, length and toughness.

-Sean

thanks Sean-

you are very close, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see you get it tomorrow

look forward to seeing your workout!

Mike

Mike, you are already in very rare company, having bent a Red DU using the dreaded IM pads. Congratulations! Any day, man!

But will you beat Sean? :shifty:)

Tear it up guys! And I'm pleased to say ya'll are gonna kick my butt.

Eric- the only butts that got kicked, were Sean and I.

When we get these RED nails, I'll race you to the 6''!?

10-17-05

I am a little disappointed in myself, I did not have time to get more grade 8s and I was unable to bend a HRS 5/16" more than a severe wobble kind of a ( if anything.

But I did promise volume so I set out to get a PR:

(1) 60d

(1) Grade 5

(1) 5/16" HRS (The Steel Works) made it wobble like this (

Then

(19) Grade 5s at 6" NEW PR (20 total grade 5s) :D

Sorry Mike and Eric, no Red have fallen for me yet, and I do say yet! :angry:

-Sean

Sean, nice volume!

Mike, it's a deal! But I still need to find my groove with this DU thing. Like Sean, I haven't been able to accomplish more than a wobble with the Steel Works since I got the Red. I think it's a case of too much too fast. I need to settle down into a more restrained training regimen for the time being. My wrists are fried. Of course if I had it to do over again I'd do it the same hard headed way!

Sean-

great volume work!

Eric-

hard headed bends hard steel!