Double Underhand Training Log

EricMilfeld

October 5, 2005

I had, by far, my best DU workout of the approximately twelve I've thus far completed. Here's how it went:

-8 back to back 1/4x7" pieces of CRS

-finished off a pre-kinked 3/8x7" galvanized carriage bolt (307A) for a PR

-finished off a pre-kinked 1/4x7" square piece of plated steel for a PR

-wrapped it up with a grd 8 bolt for another PR

I'm also training low volume, high intensity DO bending in conjunction with my DU edeavors. I'm probably gonna drop the sledges altogether.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• smp76

• carusom1

• FrankyBoy

Thank you, Ben! It's great to have the time to post with you guys again, thanks in part to the fact that gasoline sales have plummeted, and I'm working very few hours. Fortunately my company is still compensating us financially.

Nice to see you posting a log Eric.

Especially with a goal which is also one of my favourits.

Just curious:

Which angle in the kink is sufficient for you so that the whole bend is considered a DU bend for you?

For me its around 45°.

Thanks, Franky! And good question. As long as the bar is atleast 6" long, I require atleast a 45 degree bend of myself, but usually get about 60 degrees. If the stock is real easy, I'll get 90 degrees.

It on Eric,

All bends are Double Underhand.

Yesterday: 10-5-05

(1) 60d nail DU

(1) 5/16"X6 Grade 2 bolt (wobble) no real signifigant kink, really just gave it a shot for grins, besides, it was laying there mocking me and, apparently still mocking my lack luster attempt.

(2) Grade 8s DU Ran out of Grade 8s so I went for the next item

(10) Grade 5s DU

All the Grade 5s I was trying the following:

Focusing on gettng well into a 90 degree before flipping to crush down mode, then trying to keep the bolt high under the chin and exploding into it. Raising it higher (like you suggested Greg) did yield great results. I was trying to get all grade 5 bends under 10-15 seconds from kink to completition. I was able to do this except when I tried to do three in a row no break and it was the last of the three that lasted for thirty seconds, oh well.

-Sean

I was going to get some HR 5/16" stock for 7" volume, can anyone tell me where it falls in progression? I looked but have not found much, and I did use the search engine, smart asses, and I know you are out there...

Edited by smp76

Looks like you had a great workout, Sean. I guess we should decide on a minumum angle of bend requirement for the Red. 45? 60 degrees?

And if anyone else wants to join in the race, let's go!

Looks like you had a great workout, Sean.  I guess we should decide on a minumum angle of bend requirement for the Red.  45?  60 degrees?

And if anyone else wants to join in the race, let's go!

I think somewhere close to 60 degrees? That sounds good.

-Sean

60 degrees it is. That's a good, full bend that leaves no doubt about it being a true double under bend.

60 degrees it is.  That's a good, full bend that leaves no doubt about it being a true double under bend.

Question: When we have completed the kink to 60 degrees we should have it witnessed or on video before we continue to the crush down phase, right?

Remember Eric, I am slow so I need lots of hand holding and explaination, heheh. :D

-Sean

60 degrees it is.  That's a good, full bend that leaves no doubt about it being a true double under bend.

Question: When we have completed the kink to 60 degrees we should have it witnessed or on video before we continue to the crush down phase, right?

Remember Eric, I am slow so I need lots of hand holding and explaination, heheh. :D

-Sean

We definitely need to measure it with a protractor, or similar instrument. As far as requiring video or a witness, I'm flexible. I'm also comfortable with using the honor system. I'd like to capture mine on video, so hopefully I can acquire a camera soon.

Deal!

-Sean

Eric,

I have a digital camera with 15 seconds of video capture. You can use me if you need.

I am sure honor system would work for you two though.

W

60 degrees, that'll make it tough. Come on Sean you can take this guy, he's from TEXAS!!

I'm getting in on this!

I am just behind you guys right now. I started doing DU about 6 weeks ago.

PR DU so far is grade 5 5 1/2'', 1/4 square 7'', a grade 8 to about 45 degrees

45 or 60 degree rule is cool with me

I hope this will push me and you guys as well

lets get it on!!!

by the way- how many times a week are you guys bending?

and doing any other wrist work?

thanks

Mike

Thanks, Dub!

Mike, glad to have ya join us! Do you wanna post your workouts with Sean and me in the workout log we started? I haven't been training DU long enough to know what frequency is best for me, but I suspect maybe every five days or so. This might change as my tendons get stronger. Double over I can do every three days or so. I just don't know if I have the self control to wait a full five days, though I'm going to try dropping the hammers for a while and see how it goes.

Eric

thanks man, I appreciate it! didn't want to just butt in on your workouts but I thought this would push me harder and I'm close to where you and Sean are right now.

currently I am bending once a week and doing wrist work twice a week

I also do this along with two days a week with grippers and two days a week of pinching

thinking about changing this, if I want to focus more on the bending

Edited by carusom1

60 degrees, that'll make it tough. Come on Sean you can take this guy, he's from TEXAS!!

Jason,

Texas is the second largest state in the union so Eric does have some street credit. Would you remind me what the largest state is again, I forget... :D This is going to be a great trip down the Double Underhand road.

-Sean

by the way- how many times a week are you guys bending?

and doing any other wrist work?

thanks

Mike

Mike,

I am currently bending about every four to five days, and you are more than welcome to jump on the this train if you like. The more the merrier (sp).

-Sean

Great log and competition starting out here and I'll look forward to reading it daily.

Best of luck to all.. neilkaz ..

October 6, 2005

I'm suffering from a bit of premature bendulation. I killed the Red tonight... Double Overhand! Here's how it went:

After warming up with some deads and pushups, I did:

-a 1/4x5.5" CRS piece

-a 5/16x7" HRS piece (this was tougher than a grd 8, and gave me a lot of confidence)

-a Red

Guys, let the race continue. Sean, as easy as you destroyed that grd 8, the Red's only a mental game now. Mike, the same applies for you. It's no big leap from that 5.5" grd 5 to the grd 8...

Eric- maybe you could go for a 6'' RED :rolleyes

well Sean, I had a hard time keeping up with Eric

now I'll try to keep up with you

Okay so Eric you will have the handicap of bending a 6" Red and Mike and I will battle for a Red.

Eric, HRS 5/16"X7" is harder than a grade 8? I will get some tonight! and Mike it's on! :cry no,no, :angry: yeah! Lets get it on!

-Sean

Sean-

you are just a step ahead of me right now but I will do my best to catch up and we will actually have to fight eachother.

Eric is in a division of his own. I hope he decides to cut a little off and make that his goal.

by the way, I was getting anxious last night, but didn't want to push it too hard so I just did

2 5 1/2'' by 1/4''

1 grade 5

and bunch of timber ties, 1 I broke

I was so excited yesterday, like Eric, I couldn't keep my hands off the steel. I just did this to calm me down. Sunday I will bend again.

Edited by carusom1