Wr Criteria

Mikael Siversson

Ok, since no names are up I'll list some.

David Horne

Jedd Johnson

Smitty

Mikael Siversson

Arne Persson

Brian Carlton

Bob Lipinski

Kevin Fulton

Nick McKinless

Rick Walker

David Hurzeler

A german who runs their comps.

Anyone else?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• David Horne

• mobsterone

• smitty

Why not do something like NAS has for strongman....form a committee, appoint a chairperson in each state (that contests are held) and set certain standards for events and such.

Its a step above meeting in a chat room

I think from a list of names, people should be able to say if they want to be on this commitee for a better word? Or leave it to others.

From here, make a date, and go from there.

I'm sure Bill would pin a section on what's going on in the grip comittee.

David

Sounds good David. Try to make it an equal number of participants from the USA and the rest of the world to start with.

Al this talk of WR record criteria, agreement on rules, definitions of high calibre competitions etc says to me that we are crying out for some kind of international committee to make these decisions. 

I know there is life outside of the gripboard but this seems like a damn fine place to start.  We could have a couple of gripboard nominated individuals from a number of defined geographical areas who would get together and decide on lifts, rules and standards that are used in comps.  This may sound like a crazy idea to some, but it makes perfect sense to me - after all standardisation of competitions so we can make meaningful comparisons seems to the overall aim of the likes of David, Mikael, Clay, the diesel boys (sorry if I forgot anyone). 

Any thoughts?

It's a pity my intial post suggesting some discussion on this topic was ignored.

when a wr attempt is announced prior to a local comp the organizers and lifter can be required to ensure that a top level federation referee is there. So we could do the same.

Sweet. I'll be the first to offer myself. If anyone wants to fly me to their contest to be a judge, consider me there.

More seriously though (not that I wasn't serious about that offer), you can count me in on the chats.

Let me explain what Bob and I will be doing with an example. There's a guy located in the middle of a state with nothing as far as the eye can see. He enjoys grip and competition to the point that he wants to put an all-round contest together. He gets nice, but modest, prizes for the winners and all have a good time, learning from one another (as one generally does at contests), and sharing one another’s company. Sharing this rather unique interest in a form of strength in which hardly anyone contests brings these people together, if only for the day.

He knows that there’s local interest for the competition to move forward, but logistics prove difficult in attracting much non-local interest. If not for the competitive spirit found in his local lifting club there may literally be only a couple competitors at his contest. It’s true- this guy lives in the middle of nowhere. You travel miles of dirt road to find the contest site marked by a cardboard sign out by the mailbox. You arrive to find that you’ll be competing in unused livestock stalls on a farm.

Well, you’ve probably guessed by now that this is a real person and he’s been doing this since 1999. It’s Kevin Fulton and I don’t think we’d want to dismiss the efforts of this man by telling him that his contest just isn’t high-caliber enough to make the cut. Frankly, this is exactly the kind of guy that Bob and I will attempt to find throughout the U.S. Kevin loves competing and instilling that competitive spirit in others. To put it on the line by stepping up to the platform and seeing what you can do on that day. Quite simply, that’s why he does it year in and year out.

So we want to find these people, get them to organize and promote contests. Pull competitors out of the woodwork. Tie a loose bow around it and put together a U.S. records list. Bob already got a good jump on this by putting together the best lifts of some of the more popular events. All of the past grip contests that we know about in the U.S. fit our criteria to count as a legitimate contest so we start from there.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but I think that this actually works in tandem with what is going on here at the European/world level. Whatever rules and regulations are implemented at the world level, they will certainly fall within the acceptable range at our level. Dave and Jedd break the world V-bar record? Great, we put that on the list of records. A promoter wants to have the chance for his competitors to set world records? Great, use the rules and implements in place for that. You want to have a single event pinch contest with Euro equipment held alongside a Pro strongman contest? Hey, that's great too and we'll have a record for that kept separate from the all-round competition pinch record (I'm kind of curious to know how much of your pinch gets zapped during an all-round competition as opposed to a pinch only contest in a competitive setting).

We just want to get more people involved, competitively, in the sport.

BC.

Good amount of names so far, who's missing?

Smitty

Jedd Johnson

Arne Persson

Kevin Fulton

Rick Walker

David Hurzeler

A german who runs their comps.

Any of these guys interested?

David

I'd like to be involved in the chat discussions, too.

Edited by ClayEdgin

Clay ok, since you will be hosting comps soon.

So we have so far:

David Horne

Mikael Siversson

Smitty

Nick McKinless

Bob Lipinski

Brian Carlton

Clay Edgin

I think from a list of names, people should be able to say if they want to be on this commitee for a better word? Or leave it to others.

David

Heck, I could set up a private forum so things can get ironed out first before going to the main forum with the results. This in addition to chat you guys are doing since it will document the discussions for reference.

I think that should be Thorsten Moser for ze dzjermans.... aka moser1972.. He hosts some competitions..

David

Heck, I could set up a private forum so things can get ironed out first before going to the main forum with the results. This in addition to chat you guys are doing since it will document the discussions for reference.

I think that is a very good idea.

I've been considering hosting a contest, and would like to be part of the discussion.

Have we come up with a time for the chat room meeting?

Edited by Sean Dockery

My questions:

Criteria for judges? I was planning on approaching the USAWA so that I could have 3 experienced judges watching each lift from various angles. Would this be acceptable? Is it preferable to find 3 "grip guys" who can be impartial judges?

As far as judges go I think in most cases you only need one or possibly two.

Most important thing (besides knowing the rules) is that they do not yield to pressure and that they are emotionally totally detached (at least during the competition) from all competitors.

They should also be in charge of the calibration of the plates used, if possible (for recognition of records or inclusion of results in Euro-standard lists). This latter detail seems to be a source of much agony. Please use either a certified scale or use certified weight plates to calibrate a non-certified scale.

It is probably fair to assume that no World Records will be recognised as such in the European grip community unless/until the weights used have been properly calibrated.

Important that we can present constructive criticism without it being taken as personal attacks and therefore ignored or ridiculed, often by people hiding behind their fake names. We need to maintain a certain degree of professionalism if we want this sport to grow and prosper.

I would also like to take the opportunity to apologize to the Diesel Crew for being so impatient and demanding the results at a time when they probably needed to recover from the whole affair.