My Journey To The Pro Circuit

Clay Edgin

The cage is too narrow for me to squat wide in, so yes I was squatting outside of it.

I forgot to keep this log updated so here are past entries:

Deadlifts with bar elevated to 12" off ground:

245x3, 335x3, 425x3, 515x3, 605x2

My lockout is weak but when I really fire off the ground I can usually get past my sticking point and lock the weight out.

------------

Back is SOOORE right now.

Strict press:

135x5, x5, x5, 185x5, x5, 205x2, x3

18" deads:

245x5, 335x5, 425x5, 515x5, 605x5

24" deads:

605x5, 655x5

30" dead lockouts:

655x5

Talk about overloading the erectors! I was once again laid out on the nice cold garage floor when my wife walked in. She later said "I stopped hearing the clanking so I walked in to see if you were alright, and you were lying on the floor. Stop doing that! You scare me!"

Despite feeling stressed from work, I had a sense of urgency to get out and do some pressing.

Decline bench:

135x10, 185x10, 225x10, 275x5, x5, x5

That stuff was easy. A bit awkward though. I was basically doing floor presses but planting my heels and driving my hips up as high as I could, then lowering the bar to just above my bellybutton. Maybe a 10" ROM. I'm thinking 350-400 ought to go up for a single. I really like this lift and find it warms up my arms nicely.

12" log:

225x3, x3, 245x3, x3, 275x3, x1, 310x0, 275x2

Just missed 310 a bunch of times. It seems like my front delts are holding me back in this lift, either that or I am leaning forward when I dip and the log rolls down a little bit.

200lb keg press:

2 singles, then a double. (PR)

I've never pressed this keg before without using an alternating grip, so being able to lock it out with a parallel grip was killer. I did manage to dump it behind me once but don't tell my wife.

Standing tricep extensions:

115x15x2 sets

After all that, I did some phonebook tearing, card tearing and fooled around with nail driving. Nail driving kicks ass

---------------------

Been fooling around with too many overhead maxes lately and time to put in some real work again.

Strict press:

135x10, 155x8, 175x3 for 5 sets

Started to feel easier towards the last sets. The first few sets were harder than they should have been.

Seated press in rack:

24" ROM - 135x5, 18" ROM - 185x5 for 2 sets, 12" ROM - 185x5, 225x5

180 deg. front raises:

barx15, x10

Kept the arms straight, started the bar at the thigh and finished straight overhead.

Gonna get back into the swing of my supplements since I've been slacking for too long. Event training on Sunday. Gonna pour my ~425 stone this weekend and retrieve my welder and fix the yoke too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clay Edgin

• Rick Walker

• supermagnamon

• Tom of Iowa2

Clay-

This is one of the few workout logs that I read consistently and I miss not reading your updates!

Dangit, I keep forgetting to update this log!

---

Decline floor press:

135x10, 225x10, 275x8, 315x5

Strict press:

135x10, 155x8, 185x5, 200x3

Felt much easier than last week.

Seated pin presses:

24" ROM - 135x5, 18" ROM - 185x5

Standing tri ext.:

115x12

Tri's were smoked and I had to cut it short anyway.

---

Heading out of town tomorrow for an extended weekend anniversary break. It's our 5th anniversary and we're headed up to Colorado for a nice weekend away.

Deadlifts:

135x5, 225x5, 425x5, 475x5, 515x3, 565x2 (PR)

Was going for 3 on 565 but couldn't get it off the ground. My lower back is coming along and I was accelerating past the knees and to lockout.

GM's

135x10, 225x10, x10

---

Had a good weekend up in Durango and am ready to hit the weights again.

BTN push press:

135x10, x5, 185x5, x5, 225x2, x2, 275x1

Push press:

225x5, x5, 275x2

I really gotta get back into the swing of things with the overhead work. Reps are killing me. Anything over 6-8 and I'm wanting to quit. I'm thinking about starting at 250 and trying to get 10 reps, then going up 10lbs. Heck, I don't know. How about I just work harder and see what happens?

---

Russell from the novice comp came out for training today.

500lb tire flip

x6 (50ft) for 2 sets

Wasn't feeling too bad here.

Yoke for 50ft:

285x2, 385x2, 465x2, 565x2

Moved pretty well on these. Now that I can do them with some regularity, it's time to start approaching maxes again.

Keg clean and press:

160, 180, 200 x 3 runs, 200x2 additional singles.

Boy I whacked the everlovin crap out of myself trying to get a second rep on the 200lb keg. I lost control on the way down, but don't worry...I stopped it with my forehead. Got a nice scratch now. More like a scar. War scar. Murdering kegs with extreme prejudice scar. That sounds more like it.

Bearhug keg carry:

200x1, 200x2 laps

A "lap" is just a trip around my daughter's jungle gym in the backyard. Probably 50ft. I think that, in lieu of having a real conan's wheel to train on just yet, this could be a good way to train for that event. The keg presses into your stomach worse than a conan's arm

---

Sorry guys, I will do better to keep this updated! I appreciate the support a ton.

Keep up the good work andd the reports.

One of the few things i consistantly read anymore.Really do hope you make it into the Pros...then come back n clean up the grip world. :laugh

Clay-

Do you have a super yoke? If you do, I find carrying it cradled in the arms is effective as it is unsteady and sits on the chest and stomach, and you can lean backwards with it.

-Rick

Thanks Tom!

I do have a yoke, Rick, and it probably is closer to actually training with the real conan's. I liked carrying the keg because I had to work harder to squeeze it to keep it in place. Probably ought to do that with the yoke from now on though...