My Journey To The Pro Circuit

Clay Edgin

I also fooled around with off-center pressing. I put a 45 on one side of the bar and left the other side empty then pressed it overhead. Pretty tough to stablize.

that sounds cool i may try that. i have loaded my 2.5'' db handle uneaven a couple times. works the wrist more and which ever two fingers are closer to the heavy side.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clay Edgin

• Rick Walker

• supermagnamon

• Tom of Iowa2

I am dying right now, and it feels great. Travis came down from Farmington and we hit a few events.

12" log:

180x3, x5, 225x3, x3, 275x2, 300x1 (PR)

300 was stupid hard. I felt like I was going to pass out.

Tire:

800x3 flips x 4 sets, 1130x5 singles, a double, and a triple (PR)

Getting better on this tire. I love tire flipping but I suck at it. Suppose I ought to fix that.

Stones:

320, 350 to 48", 320 to 63"x0

I missed 320, dropped it, and cracked my back patio. Shit.

Funny story - Travis tried the stones shirtless for the first time today. But he's hairy. Right now, there is a 3" round patch of his stomach hair glued to my 230lb stone, and a similar patch glued to the 290. Gross.

Sled backwards for 50ft:

100x4, 145x4, 190x6, 215x2, 240x2

We had a really good pace doing this. We took a break after the 190's and the 215's. I would pull 50ft uphill then Travis would do another 50ft. Then I'd do 50ft downhill and he would continue the rest of the way back to the point of beginning.

Funny story - Travis tried the stones shirtless for the first time today. But he's hairy. Right now, there is a 3" round patch of his stomach hair glued to my 230lb stone, and a similar patch glued to the 290. Gross.

:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

I am dying right now, and it feels great. Travis came down from Farmington and we hit a few events.

12" log:

180x3, x5, 225x3, x3, 275x2, 300x1 (PR)

300 was stupid hard. I felt like I was going to pass out.

Tire:

800x3 flips x 4 sets, 1130x5 singles, a double, and a triple (PR)

Getting better on this tire. I love tire flipping but I suck at it. Suppose I ought to fix that.

Stones:

320, 350 to 48", 320 to 63"x0

I missed 320, dropped it, and cracked my back patio. Shit.

Sled backwards for 50ft:

100x4, 145x4, 190x6, 215x2, 240x2

We had a really good pace doing this. We took a break after the 190's and the 215's. I would pull 50ft uphill then Travis would do another 50ft. Then I'd do 50ft downhill and he would continue the rest of the way back to the point of beginning.

Sweet workout Clay.

How much did you charge him for that chesthair waxing? Didn't know you were running a salon over there, big man :tongue

Edited by AP

Yesterday I thought "There is no way I need to be lifting any time soon. Thursday at the earliest." But I got home today and felt a big sense of urgency to get under the bar and try to get the feel of the bench shirt some more.

3 board press:

135x10, x10, 185x10, 225x5, 275x5, 315x2, 335x2, 365x2 (5 boards)

I must be a big ol' mangina to not be able to do much more on 5 boards than I can with 3.

Denim open back shirt:

365x0 (pressed easy, no touch), 385x0 (pressed easy, no touch), 395x1, 415x0 (pressed hard, no touch)

I managed to torque the shirt down quite a bit and could get 415 within a few inches of touching. I got 395 to touch and press out right before that. The right arm had a hard time locking out 415 and I think in a meet they would have had the spotters grab it because it took a long time and was an uneven lockout. Bench pressing feels so awkward.

Standing tricep ext.

95x15, 115x15, x15, x10

Screwed up tonight on the squats.

Squats:

135x5, x5, 225x3, 315x2, 365x2, 405x2, 445x2, 495x1

On the second attempt at 495, my knees came in and I got stuck at the bottom. I had to throw the bar over the top of my head which caused me to bite down on my tongue pretty hard and scraped up the back of my melon. That seriously screwed with my head, so no more squats tonight.

Push press:

135x10, 225x5, 275x1

GM's:

315x10

Grip circuit - 2-35's pinch, rolling handle deadlift, vbar, and a couple grippers done one after another, adding weight each time and trying to get my hands used to doing stuff like this again.

Gotta get my head screwed back on straight again.

Great progress Clay.

Amazing!

When you started weren't(joined the forum)weren't you benching something like 225 and overhead pressing something pathetic like 135?(pathetic for your size) :yikes

You MUST be using steroids :whacked ...men can't actually become strong through just lifting weights...OH and a healthy does of natural size and genetics?! :D

...men can't actually become strong through just lifting weights...OH and a healthy does of natural size and genetics?! :D

that would be "dose of natural size and genetics?!"

and to clarify...I'm kidding about the steroids thing.

Sarcasm.

hahaha, really huh. Of course, I came onto the board almost 3 years ago without much lifting experience so those numbers were especially pitiful. I'll probably never figure out what strength discipline I want to be the best at, but as long as I keep pushing myself I think I can satisfy my goals.

The big jump in strength in the last few months has been due in large part to proper supplementation and rest.

Edited by ClayEdgin

BTW, for purposes of continuity in my log, I skipped event training yesterday for 2 reasons:

1. I sat through about 6 hours of tattoo work on Saturday

2. Woke up to 3" of snow Sunday morning. Snow and cold weather makes my vaginosis act up.

Tattoos rock! 6 hours-damn dude, what did you get done??

If you are thinking of taking your powerlifting further, such as the IPA, APF, or WPO, shoot me a PM. The Metal stuff is something you have to experience to believe. ;)

-Rick

I got "Strength" down my right forearm, "Honor" down my left forearm, the NM Strongman logo on my back (minus the .com address of course) and on my right shoulder I got a fisheye view of the reaper knocking on my door.

I think this may be my one and only power meet. I already miss training strongman all the time. I really want to go pro, dammit.

I'm participating in a study for a supplement and had to establish some unequipped maxes for the beginning of the study.

Pushups in 1 min - 26

Situps in 1 min - 39

Narrow grip Bench - 335 (PR)

Squat - 485 (below parallel, according to the trainer)

Deadlift - 585

Doing situps first fried me. That was dumb. I had no stability on anything the rest of the night. The squats felt alright. The new ink on my back didn't like having the bar on it, and then it hurt even more trying to arch on the bench. 315 went up pretty quick on the bench but 335 was a grinder.

Deadlift-585.

Whats up with that?? Off night, or did the other stuff tax you?

-Rick

I had maybe 10-15 more in me, but wasn't really feeling the deadlifts last night. Plus, we were using bumpers so 585 was all that fit on the bar. I think everything else did fry me. And the ECA gave me the jitters. There, I think that's all my excuses! haha

ECA = ephedrine/caffeine/aspirin

Warren and Tom came out today for some action in between the snow flurries. I found out recently that the PL meet I was planning on doing has a couple things on their banned substance list that I have been taking (ephedrine and DHEA - both of which I purchased in stores here) so I will probably not get the chance to do that meet. I could do it and then fail the piss test, but having something like that hanging over me would not be cool.

Tire flip:

500x5, 800x5, 1130 for some singles, then 1130 x2 uphill (PR)

When I hit 1130 for the triple before, it was downhill. I don't know what percent grade my street is, but there is a definite difference in the difficulty of the flips down and up the street. I would guess 100lbs on the big tire.

Log press:

185x5, x5, 225x3, x2, 275x1, x1, 305x1 (PR)

Felt good to get another 300+ weight overhead, especially on the log.

Farmers deadlift and hold for 30 seconds:

160, 210, 250, 340

340 felt kinda rough there towards the end. Maybe another 15 seconds in me before it ripped from the lefty.

Standing tricep extensions:

95x15, 115x15, x12

found out recently that the PL meet I was planning on doing has a couple things on their banned substance list that I have been taking (ephedrine and DHEA - both of which I purchased in stores here) so I will probably not get the chance to do that meet. I could do it and then fail the piss test, but having something like that hanging over me would not be cool.

A couple things Clay. First, I am not really sure they could detect ephedrine in your urine? That is like the IPFs rule on caffeine. You can only take so much according to their rules. The question I have is, how the hell are they going to know if I had 1 cup of coffee or 5? They arent. I have also read that DHEA is only detected through the urine by gas chromatography/combustion/isotope ratio mass spectrometry. Yeah-I am not sure they will go that route. Even if they do, values return to normal after 72 hours, so just stop taking it now.

Some of these feds. take drug testing to the extreme. I use an albuterol inhaler for my asthma. I have since I was a little kid. The USAPL/IPF now says that I must have a doctors note, with copies of the tests proving I have asthma and need the inhaler, in order to lift in their organization! :tongue

The second thing is Clay, being a super heavyweight, you aren't going to get tested. Most organizations that do strict drug tests look for a couple things. The ADAU looks for the guy who either opens with more then anyone else, or ends with a higher lift then anyone else. Those are the main guys they test. Yes, they will pick a couple out randomly, but with reason. You being a super heavyweight, and you know you and I are cool, but your numbers won't constitute any suspicion. If you were rolling in with a 900-650-800, then maybe you would get grabbed up. Plus-you just don't have the drug bloat. You can usually tell if a guy is gassed.

No worries. Stop using that stuff now and you will be fine.

-Rick

Check the meet rules again, you probably just can't use the ECA on meet day or maybe like a week before. If the rules don't say, you should contact the meet promoter, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to enforce a liftime ban on caffeine.

The meet director says I would only get tested if I had a coefficient above 9, so I'd need to total like 2000 to raise any eyebrows.

found out recently that the PL meet I was planning on doing has a couple things on their banned substance list that I have been taking (ephedrine and DHEA - both of which I purchased in stores here) so I will probably not get the chance to do that meet. I could do it and then fail the piss test, but having something like that hanging over me would not be cool.

A couple things Clay. First, I am not really sure they could detect ephedrine in your urine? That is like the IPFs rule on caffeine. You can only take so much according to their rules. The question I have is, how the hell are they going to know if I had 1 cup of coffee or 5? They arent. I have also read that DHEA is only detected through the urine by gas chromatography/combustion/isotope ratio mass spectrometry. Yeah-I am not sure they will go that route. Even if they do, values return to normal after 72 hours, so just stop taking it now.

Some of these feds. take drug testing to the extreme. I use an albuterol inhaler for my asthma. I have since I was a little kid. The USAPL/IPF now says that I must have a doctors note, with copies of the tests proving I have asthma and need the inhaler, in order to lift in their organization! :tongue

The second thing is Clay, being a super heavyweight, you aren't going to get tested. Most organizations that do strict drug tests look for a couple things. The ADAU looks for the guy who either opens with more then anyone else, or ends with a higher lift then anyone else. Those are the main guys they test. Yes, they will pick a couple out randomly, but with reason. You being a super heavyweight, and you know you and I are cool, but your numbers won't constitute any suspicion. If you were rolling in with a 900-650-800, then maybe you would get grabbed up. Plus-you just don't have the drug bloat. You can usually tell if a guy is gassed.

No worries. Stop using that stuff now and you will be fine.

-Rick

WoW. I didn't know all that.

Clay,

#4 is in route. Frist class so as the slow boat to China goes maybe next week. Just let me know when you get it. Good training man, good stuff.

-Sean

Still training?

-Rick

Screwed up tonight on the squats.

Squats:

135x5, x5, 225x3, 315x2, 365x2, 405x2, 445x2, 495x1

On the second attempt at 495, my knees came in and I got stuck at the bottom. I had to throw the bar over the top of my head which caused me to bite down on my tongue pretty hard and scraped up the back of my melon. That seriously screwed with my head, so no more squats tonight.

Were you squatting off of racks and not in a cage?