College Student's Quest For Strength

diesel

Hey

I just discovered Gripboard not too long ago, but since perusing through the site, I have learned quite a bit concerning the techniques the pros use.

I am a 20 yr old college student who, over the past 6 yrs, has added approximately 60 pounds of muscle. I am a bodybuilder by nature, yet due to admiration of a friend's physique and training, I have slowly grown into a strength and grip athlete.

Two months ago, I was not able to crush the COC Trainer. I know, pretty pussy. Within a month and a half, I can rep out on the #1. I now believe it is only a short amount of time before I can crush the #2 and move up the grip strength ladder.

I now have a much greater appreciation toward strength and grip athletes and workout regiments. Thanx to Gripboard, I am molding my body and revitalizing my workouts in ways that I never thought possible.

I am currently trying to find ways to buy a Beef Builder, but I can't seem to find who produces them. Website needed please.

Diesel

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diesel

• mANVIL

• dannyboy

• tsuk

Top Posters In This Topic

thanx guys, i appreciate it.

it is only a 10lb difference between the COC1 and the Beef Builder, and if I am trying to crush the #2, is it worth the effort the buy one of these.

Buying an in between gripper can't hurt but most people have had success going straight from the #1 to the #2 by doing negatives and forced holds on the #2. Once you dominate your #1 you can also start filing the handles down to more or less create an in between gripper.

diesel, dont make the mistake of going by gripper poundages like i did. check out the section on the board about spring size to give you a better idea of gripper ranking before you spend any money.

The Advance is approximately equal to the #1

The Super Advance is maybe a 1.4

The Master is around a 1.8

Grippers vary, so buying a Master, you could get a 1.7, you could get a 1.9. Personally, if you don't have anything harder than a #2, I think you might be best served by getting a Super Master and doing negatives with it.

Question the wire size of the harder #2?

WOW

thanx guys, I really appreciate the help. You guys are the gripper kings and I am the young apprentice. Knowledge is crucial in our sport, and any bit I can get I'll eat up all the way. :rock

Must ask what exactly does the .235 and .250 mean...what exactly is being measured by those numbers...torque?

and what is significance or what do you mean by wire size?

Thanx for answering a noobie's q's.

• 2 weeks later...

So here is the new deal. A couple of us here at college have gotten together and decided to pursue the KTA program.

Meanwhile, while a wait for a harder-than-goal gripper, I have been tackling some card deck tearing. I must admit that tonight's session was perhaps the most extreme so far. I did a best 45 card tear with what i believe is a hard deck (the plastic laminate seems quite thick on these)... definitely shaved off some skin with some paper cuts. But it got rocked, and that is all that matters.

Tonight also I was fooling around with my COC 2, and very nearly closed it. My goals for February are to close the 2 and do the full deck tear.

It's rock and roll time. Time to get er done.

Must ask what exactly does the .235 and .250 mean...what exactly is being measured by those numbers...torque?

and what is significance or what do you mean by wire size?

Thanx for answering a noobie's q's.

The number .235, .280, .306 etc is the diameter of the wire aka the gripper spring. This is the best way to determine the next gripper up. Handle depth, width stuff like that comes into play, but those being equal a .280 spring gripper will be harder than a .250. The numbers, 280lbs, 190lbs next to the descriptions of the grippers mean nothing. Use the chart in the FAQ to get what you need.

Thanx for the info Bearcat... I figured the poundage meant 'nothing,' and i stumbled upon that info not too long ago on gripboard.

big announcment on my side.

crushed the C. O. C. 2 late this afternoon for the first time. :rock

boy it feels good.

bring on the big boys now.

Thanx Strongmantobe.

This upcoming weekend I am going to try for my first torn deck of cards. Getting really pumped for it. I will let you all know how it goes.

Live strong, Be strong, and Don't be Afraid to Bleed

THIS WEEK ROCKS!!!

just closed the 2 left handed. celebrating with a protein shake.

burn gripper burn

:flame

So today is the big day for me. 3 more hours to go before the planned deck tear. We will be videotaping the feat so hopefully all can see. It is my first attempt at the full deck, so I don't suppose the tear will go down in a couple secs (gimme a little more time for that one). Nonetheless, it will get torn. It might take me a minute or two, but I have already set my mind to do it. Therefore, it will get done.

I am also really pumped because tonight is the first meeting of my established hardcore lifting group on campus. I am very excited about being in a leadership role with such a fine group of hardcore guys and girls.

This is going to be a great night.

Until the next post, live strong, be strong, and don't be afraid to bleed. :D

The deck was torn with absolute authority. We had about 10 people over to witness the strength feat, and within about 10 seconds, it was over. Diesel: 1. Deck: Destroyed.

Very good day. My grip friend and I immediately hit the COCs afterward...He was able to crush the 1 with ease (his goal gripper) and I was able to rock out the 2. It seems to get a little easier as the days pass.

What next? A phonebook? Got that right.

Diesel up, or move over... I am so pumped right now! :rock

Time to get the sleep going. G'night fellow grip addicts.

Actually, now that the video is in my hands, we calculate the time to be about 5-6 seconds for the whole deck tear.

Does anybody know why I cannot post the video on gripboard?

When I get to the gallery site and want to upload media (I click on the disc graphic), it always comes back 'upload picture.' I finally receive an error message telling me I have used all of my allotted space. What is the deal with this whole thing... am I going to the wrong place? :help

Time to study.

Actually, now that the video is in my hands, we calculate the time to be about 5-6 seconds for the whole deck tear.

Does anybody know why I cannot post the video on gripboard?

When I get to the gallery site and want to upload media (I click on the disc graphic), it always comes back 'upload picture.'  I finally receive an error message telling me I have used all of my allotted space.  What is the deal with this whole thing... am I going to the wrong place?  :help

Time to study.

Diesel i imgine the error that you are getting has to do with the file size. Try and format it to a compressed image and then up load it. I could be wrong it is my first post. Later on.

So today was me and Crusher's first day going real hardcore with our grippers. We started with warmup with the Trainer, then moved to singles with the 1, had a few unlucky attempts with the 2. We then decided to spice things up, doing overcrushes with the 1 and T, followed by hardcore negatives with the 2 and the Beef Builder Super Master.

All of this grip fun was followed by 26 card tears for each of us.

Our hands and wrists were fried at the end, yet we must get ready for the KTA.

I should be getting that 3 sometime late this week. I can see it being crushed on the horizon.

Today was a good day. Step by step, we are both closer to our goals.

this morning was the third day of the program. crusher and i had about 12 hours of rest from the last workout (we both have studying to do, so we had to cut the rest short), so it was rought. but we got through it. the beef builder super master seemed a littler easier in the right hand, and crusher was def getting further on the 2. we both think that within 2 weeks or so, both goal grippers should be meat.

hands are def killing though, especially the pads on my fingers.

"fingerprints are a luxury"--crusher

you know the deal. no pain no gain. i got 36 hours of rest now. going to make good use of it and come back killing tomorrow.

diesel up

so today was the first 'true' KTA day. i finally got the 3 to do negatives on. i was actually proud of myself for getting parallel on all four sets. my hands are forearms were pretty shot from doing back and bis earlier in the day, but it def did not cause a lack of intensity on my part. real excited to see where i am going to roll with this program. can't wait to find out where me and crush are going to end up.

so tonight marked the end of the first week of KTA training.

after perusing through the gripboard's movie galleries, me and crush thought it would be cool to see if we could close our goal grippers. he the 2, and me the beef builder super master.

so we tried.

and the BBSM got crushed real nice. :rock

so to recap, within three months of grip training, starting out not being able to close the T, I can now close the BBSM.

it's Mash Monster time :mosher