Deadlifts

Jeff Parker

Gonna throw up a log so I can track my progress in deadlifts. Before injuries I had deadlifted 430. Since then, I haven't tried for a max, but I know it's not nearly as high. Now I'm trying to get to 500. I don't want to stop there at all, but this log is for up to 500. I'll start a new one after that. And if I do any big PR's in other lifts, I'll throw them in here.

First deadlift routine in...4 months or more.

135x12

225x10

275x10

275x10

Stopped there because of a twinge in my back. Being my first day back, I am in no hurry to rush it. I should have a big jump next time cause I'll be more used to it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeff Parker

• EricMilfeld

• Kurt Lane

• mossman

with your deadlifts do you control the weight all the way back down to the floor or stop with the bar just below your knees so the weight stays off the floor?

Did stiff legged deadlifts. I did them mainly for my hams cause I've been having problems getting out of the hole with my squats. Anyways, heres how it went.

Stiff legged deadlifts

135x10

185x10

195x10

At this point my hams cramped and I couldnt walk. Next time I'll start at 195, and hopefully work up to 225.

itch85, I control the weight to the floor. I stop for a half second as the weight touches the floor, but I don't rest or regrip inbetween reps. This way I feel its like singles everytime. I am 6'5" so the toughest part of the lift is at the very bottom.

Deadlifts

135x10

315x3

335x1

285x8

For the first time in my deadlifting career, my hands gave out before my body did. I was very dissapointed. I need to concentrate on the grip some more. Next time after deadlifts I think I'll do some rack pulls for max weight and for time.

Leg day so I did more stiff legged deadlifts.

135x5

195x8

205x8

215x8PR

I think I'm going to have PRs like crazy with these, esecially since this is now the seond time I've done them.

Tried doing 18"deadlifts, but they were incredibly awakward for me. I couldn't position my legs the right way so I ended up even more hunched over than with normal deadlifts. Since this is sometimes an event in strongman, I'm going to need to work on my form.

Magnus Samuelson. I like him cause I need to look at how he does events cause it can be a lot different for tall guys.

My legs were sore from squats so I just did rack pulls.

about a 8" range of motion.

315x1

405x1

495x1

515x1PR

535x0

then I did holds with 315 for about 30 seconds apiece.

Worked out in my garage yesterday instead of the gym. Havent done farmers since my wrist got injured.

Farmers holds while turning in circles.

165x30sec

165x30sec

Farmers holds standing still

165x45sec

165x45sec

Stiff legged deadlifts with 2&3/8inch bar

170x3

170x3

170x3

170x2

I really need to get my thumb strength up so I did a bunch of pinching with my different blocks.

Good Mornings

135x10

140x10

145x10PR

Really felt this in my hamstrings and lowerback. I don't know when I'll do regular deadlifts again, with my training it is hard to fit in. I usually either have sore legs or a sore grip, so I still have to figure out when to regularly do them.

Regular deadlifts

135x5

315x5

315x5

315x4

Pretty happy with the deads, they are starting to go up. Im not sure though if I should be using more weight for some singles or doubles, or if I should be using less weight for more reps. Anyone that has a lot of deadlifting experience, I'd appreciate the suggestions. By the way, I am doing deadlifts to not just bring my deadlifts up, but for overall back and hand strength for doing strongman.

Nice work thus far! I notice you're pulling, or working your backside, more frequently than coventional wisdom would dictate, but you're making progress currently, so like the saying admonishes - "don't fix it". If you do start to stagnate, you may want to consider less frequent workouts. With a little more background info, you could probably get a lot of great advice from some of the more experienced lifters here on the board.

How long did you train to get your 430?

How long have you been strength training in general?

How much do you weigh?

Are you comfortable with your form, and relatively pain free?

I'll be getting back with you, but in general, with deadlifts, less is more. If you're pretty new to deads, you'll be able to make big consistent gains by warming up and then hitting one max, or near max set, once a week. Throw in some seated rows or barbell rows and call it quits for the deadlift workout. Try and keep your heavy sets between 2 and 5 reps for now.

Eric, I trained for right around a year to get my 430. I don't remember how much I started out being able to do. I have been doing strength training for a little less than 2 years now. I weigh 225 right now. I have not had any problems with my form since the begining. The first time I ever deadlifted at a gym I hurt my back and was out for 2 months. After that, everything has gone well. I do have one more question. Right now i train lower body on fridays and sundays, and upper body on saterdays and mondays. Wed is event day and grip work. I dont know when to do regular deadlifts, which is the main reason why I have been doing other stuuf for my back instead.

Heavy deads always hurt my following squat workouts much more than heavy squats ever detracted from a following deadlift workout. Experiment a little, but you'll probably find you can pull within a day or two of your lower body workout, with no ill effects, particularly if you pull conventional style.

Onward to 500! :rock

Thanks for the tips Eric!

Doubleoverhand deadlifts with 2and3/8" thickbar

170x5 PR

170x5

170x5

180x5 PR!!

Gained lots of thumb strength, I was really happy with my progress here.

Did other events in my garage this morning....curls were real good

70x15

70x15

80x15 PR!

Did an imitation of the safe lift at the last WSM by doing overhead pressing with my yoke. They were really hard because they had to be strict, the bottom would hit the ground if I tried to do a pushpress.

Regular deadlifts

135x5

225x1

375x1 First time I tried this much since getting back in it.

315x5

315x5

325x5

345x1 Was so exhausted that I couldn't get the second rep.

The deadlifts went really good. It is definatly eaiser to get back your strength when you once had it. I think I'll be able to get back to 430 within 3 weeks.

Today, after not using grippers for a while, I no set closed my 2! It wasn't even that hard! My previous best was being able to close it a couple times with a set little less than paralel.

Regular deads.

135x5

225x1

335x5 Goin up!

345x2

Every piece of skin (just about) ripped off my hands on the last pull. Had to stop.

Gettin' stronger!

I was thinking about your grip trouble and realised I'm only assuming you're using a reverse grip with chalk. Am I right? Also, I forget to suggest double overhand pulling your warmups, in addition to my other suggestions for strengthening your supporting grip.

We'll, you're increasing your grip strength by training without the chalk, but that's too bad that your grip has to be the limiting factor with your deadlifting.

Good job on the deadlifts! Try this: 400lbs x1 rep.

I'm 15 and did this almost a year ago! For thos of you who know the Straubs, it was at their house!

I am hoping my grip will be stronger than my back pretty soon, I have really been hitting it hard.

Farmers holds 1and5/8" bar.

182x30 sec

202x30 sec

Double Overhand deadlifts w/2and5/8" thickbar

190x4PR

190x4

Did a whole bunch of events today, plus used the pony clamps.

Decided to do regular deads on mondays from now on so I did good mornings during my squat workout

Good Mornings

165x8

175x5

Wanted to do stiff legged deadlifts, but I did some bending yesterday and my hands were, to quote Clay, useless claws.

New PR in bending. I took down a yellow with no problem. The last time I tried a yellow it was really hard. Took me like 5 min to get it. This time I think it took like 20 seconds or so. Then, I tried a blue for the first time. This is after the day before I did tons of grip work. Anyways, I put a pretty good kink in it. I'd say about 30 deegres or more. I think that when I try the blue again sometime next week when I am fresh, I will take it down like nothin.