TPD
to 16+stacker plate x 7 reps

Adj T/Bar
+5-kilos from last week
L/H: 4 x 3 reps
R/H: 3 x 3 reps and 1 x 6 reps

Friday

Pick axe work

up a .25-kilo again. My left wrist hates it but it gets done and my right just gets it done. It's never, ever easy.

Monday
Close grip bench press
to 140-kilos x 4 x 1 reps. Last one fast.
Left shoulder fascia aches.

LPD
to stack + 6p x 2 x 8 reps

DOTBDL - time
3 x time with form as before. One strict. Then 75-kilos x 20 reps, 90-kilos x 15+5 reps

Tuesday
Cold in home gym - brr
One hand pinch
up a half kilo on both hands
R/H: 3 x 3 reps and 1 x 4 reps

Wednesday
P/Squat machine.
to 340-kilos x 4 reps (big jump from the last PS session)

Seated Leg Curl
stack x 12 reps (this is my warm up now), +5p x 12 r/p reps

L/Extension
as SLC

Adj/T/Bar
up 5-kilos again (it'll be 2.5kg next time). First two sets both hands was hard. New chalk lump was 'soapy'.
R/H: 3 x 3 reps, 1 x 6 reps

Friday
Pick ax work

Monday
Seated Press
to 107.5-kilos x 4 reps

Hammer DB Curls
to 65-kilos x 4 reps

TPD
to 17p x 5 reps

DOTBTLDL - max
to 180-kilos x 4 x 1 reps

Tuesday
One hand pinch
It was cold in my home gym but as sets progressed the reps per set, low at first, went up.

Wednesday
Up early and in town early. May have slowed me down a bit by the time I got to the gym due to time between eating and training. Also no sleeves for bench - d'uh

Iso P/Downs
to 85-kilos a side x 5 reps @

CG Bench Press
to 140-kilos x 3 x 1 reps - left should no like at all.

Adj/T/Bar
up 2.5-kilos from last time but L/H struggled
1/3, 1/3. 1/ 3 and 1/4

Tuesday
Ran late as I was trying to sort out a tube light replacement for my cellar. Anyway

1 hand pinch
Same as last time weight wise but both hands 4 x 3 r/p reps.

Wednesday
Took it easy on my left shoulder / pec

Iso B/Press
20/12, 30/12, 40/10 a aide

Flye machine
to 13p x 12 reps

LPD
to tack + 6p x 12 reps

Adj/T/Bar
R/P style starting to creep in as we get heavy
L/H: same as last time but reps a bit better
R/H: up 2.5-kilos x 4 x 3 reps

Friday
Pick Axe work
Up .25-kilos. Left hand (wrist) brutalized so in a holding pattern. This is a hard event in terms of discomfort and both sides feel it just the left more so
4 sets both sides with different times on the working weight

Monday
Brutal session.
Seated Press
Warm up with 20 a side on the iso press then straight in on the rack with 80. 100-kilos x 4 and 110-kilos x 4 hard reps

Hammer d/b curls
to 45-kilos and then a nasty drop set wit 10-kilos @ x 20 reps

TPD
to 16.5 x 8 and 8 x 12 reps

DOTBDLTL - reps
to 8,9 and 10 reps with 130-kilos. Time under tension for the hold (more reps equals more time) and a back strengthener too (cos holding it away from the body is harder than holding onto the bar for me).

Tuesday
One hand pinch work

Wednesday
Early.
P/Squat
to 330-kilos x 4 reps. Bit more there if I wanted

S/L/Curls
Stack x 12 reps, +6p x 12 reps

L/Ext
Stack x 12 reps, +6p x 12 reps

Adj/T/Bar
Up 1.25-kilos on the right and 4 x 3 reps both hands all r/pause

Friday
Bloody scales. Up and down the stairs here from my supposedly accurate postal scales to the ones that are meant to be less so. ANYWAY... having finally settled on the weight (still a little way to go) I ended up doing the of so damn painful workout in the kitchen. The lever work is all stress on the wrist over a rep of strength due to a combination of the factors in leverage.

Pick axe workout
L/H: weight x 10 secs then 3 x 15 painful seconds
R/H: 10, 15 and then 2 x 21 seconds.

Monday
Coleford - for a Festival of Transport - in the afternoon so sensible o'clock at the gym. And what a session. I almost done myself a mischief pulling on deadlifts. For a moment I thought I'd injured myself but as it is I was just very sore and tender the rest of the day as I am now the following morning.

DOTBDLTL - reps
to 130-kilos x 9, 10 and 8+2+1 (almost down on on knee on rep 8 as I suddenly hit the wall, felt sore, carried on etc etc). Walking up and down between the last two parts.

Mid Iso-row
to 70-kilos an arm x 8 reps

s/s

Iso B/Press
high reps low weight due to twinge from before so:
20-kilos aside x 20, 35-kilos x 20 r/p reps, 55-kilos x 12 reps

Tuesday
Lower back as sore as f**K but not injured. Onwards
One hand pinch
Took a while to get my groove on then...

Wednesday
Note to self - if you get up too damn early eat more before workouts. Cos I was on my ass the whole time. Shoot me and put me out of my misery.

Iso Press - f/f
to 55-kilos @ side x 4 hard reps

Hammer db curls
to55-kilos x 6 reps

TPD
to 16p+1stacker plate

Adj/T/Bar
up 1.25-kilos on both and 4 sets of 2 reps. Three more sessions before the competition

Friday
So the closer I get to competition max strength the harder on my sorry ass this stuff is. A la Mentzer the stronger you are the more stress on your recovery.
That said Pick Axe work today did not bitch slap my wrist after - maybe I could have pushed more. Still hurts like a mo-fo during... Esp on the left side.

Monday
More or less early to the gym but in spite of stretches and warm ups one rep with the max told me to knock it on the head. Better now than the day of the event. Booked an osteo appointment and will start stretching every day between now and the competition. I'm not done but a small warning light came on and I'm not ignoring it so to speak :D

Tuesday
@ Powerhouse so as to be serious enough to do some proper stretching. The lower back etc etc tightness is still an issue (Osteo Monday) but doesn't affect one hand pinching. Home gym work is on a Euro set, Powerhouse on a pin etc

One hand pinch work
L/H: about par.
R/H: almost 2 x 20-kilo plates (slight assistance from finger and thumb of the lefty hand. Backed off to a decent working weight. I pull a lot more than this on a Euro. There is, obviously, some crossover. Regardless so long as both hands feel worked and I stretched it's all good. Tomorrow back on the program!!

Wednesday
Early-ish to gym and took my sweet time equals a decent workout.

CG Bench
to 120-kilos x 1, 130-kilos x 1 and 140-kilos x 1 rep

s/s

LPD
to stack +5p (all I could find) x 8 reps

Adj T/Bar
L/H: 1, 2, 2, 1 reps with working weight
R/H: 4 x 3 reps with working weight.

Friday
Really quite ridiculous work, eventually, on the axe.

Sunday (in lieu of Monday as I was at the Osteo)
DOTBTLDL
This was quite simply a case of drive and determination combined with stupidity. I KNEW I'd ache, as I've been having pain since the week before last. But I also knew I'd be getting treatment and will improve. So, even if not to the level I'd like, I pushed and pushed. That it might, as it did, cause me to ease out of any sitting or lying position very slowly was going to be par for the course.

I decided, lately sensible, to high rep / low weight the rest of the workout which resulted in a great brachial and tricep pump.

Seated dumbbell press
7.5-17.5-kilos in 2.5kg jumps all x 20 reps

s/s

Hammer curls
same weights and reps
No delt pump so, if I do this again, a heavier pressing weight??

TPD
8, 10, 12p x 20 reps @

Tuesday
A lot more, than old anyway. movement to stay limber. I drag my ass out of my office chair in discomfort (I'm out shortly buying anti inflammatory's) yet by the time I've done I'm bending over no problem. Such is movement, heat/sweat and a little endorphin / exercise high.

One hand pinch
L/H: 4 x 3 reps with working weight (there's a big difference between this and the right hand)
R/H: LH weight x 3 then 2 x 3 and 1 x 1 + F with the working weight.

I'll start working out what I think my 1RM's will be in the next few days for all of the events. Then it'll be game plan for the day.

Wednesday
A lot more limbering up than usual and a little after. I still struggled with the straightening out of my legs on the leg press, curls and extensions but the adjustable was solid :D

L/Press
Used 200-kilos to try and get my hip down - hurts.

P/Squat machine
just worked to a fairly light 240-kilos x 4. Loads more there but I had no wish to push through and injure myself.

S/L/Curls
As above so 1/2 stack x 12 reps and stack x 12 reps. Painful only in legs extended position.

L/Ext
As seated leg curls

Adj/T/Bar
A VERY good session.
L/H: 135.75-kilos x 4 x 3 reps
R/H: 143.25-kilos x 4 x 3 reps

Monday
Osteopath in the morning. Two more days training and nothing but blasting is my aim lol. Gripper work today because it's easy to blast the hands with, does nowt foe my back (better again after today's session with Arg) and just fun to do.

V/Gripper
I've literally not touched a gripper to squeeze for something like the whole time training for this competition. That may well be what... 16 weeks?? So it's interesting to see that I've lost very little strength in that regard.

L/H: to 6/6 (level 18 ) and did VVN, 1, VVN, 1, 1 reps
R/H: to 6/7 (level 19) x 1 rep, failed on 21 (didn't try 20), dropped back to level 18 and did 1, 1, 3, 2, 1 reps

Monday
If anything absolutely proves the training maxims of 1) carryover and 2) maintenance of a skill set it's been today's TWO gripper workouts. Again I'm fairly sure it's been MONTHS since I used a gripper in anger as it were. Yet in the second session, following lunch, a nap and another coffee and using normal grippers I powered to doing reps with my right hand on a Ironmind Captain of Crush Gripper No 3 (and a few closes and near closes with my left).

Now obviously training for hand strength in what ones hopes is a well rounded way SHOULD produce something like this. But it's still a pleasant surprise to see it proved. I managed 4 reps on one set and even did a credit card close or two just to see what the crack was. Also lets add a third maxim - that of the hands strength (once trained) being among the last to ease off among the older athletes - 51 and still BOOM!

• Like 1