Lj's Grip Training Log

HandsofStone

I'm starting this log so that I can look back in a couple of months and laugh at where I once was with the grippers and other grip related exercises. I just got off of a 2 week layoff because of back problems that were contributed from squats and deadlifts.( Not to mention that damn leg press workout) After alot of ice, heat packs, and Ibuprofen my back is ALOT better. As of right now I'm slowly working into my full body workout.

My PR's before my layoff with the #1 were 16 reps left, 10 reps right. On the 3" wooden pinch block it was 65 lbs. right handed, 60 lbs. left.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HandsofStone

• Jonathan McMillan

• bencrush

• Griparn

CoC grippers( full reps):

#1-left handed: 20*, 12, 8

#1-right handed: 12*, 8, 7

1 set of negatives with the #2

* PR

Today was an excellent grip workout. PR's on both hands. I might start doing pinch grip work on Friday but not sure yet.( I'm taking it very slow for my back's sake.) I'm going to tackle the #2 on Friday and hopefully will crush it.

Nice work with the #1 !!!! I know many here say reps with the grippers aren't important but I still find them damn impressive :cool I've yet to attempt reps with my #1. Good to see another member start a training log. It's a great motivator!

Jon@han

Welcome to the world of grip logs! They really do help. I look back at December when I started mine. I was happy with a few #2 closes. It's really cool to see the progress. Also, track the different exercises you try. It'll give you a good track record. Best o' luck!

CoC grippers

#2- 4 sets of attempted singles

#1- 8 reps left, 6 reps right ( I held each rep for a 2 count)

Today's workout was great. I came very close at closing the #2( I was about 2-3 pennies away) I'm quite confident that I'll close it within a week or two. Next week I'll start working on my pinch grip as well.

L.J.

CoC grippers:

#2- 2 sets of attempted singles

#3- 1 set of negatives

#1- 7 reps left, 5 reps right ( held each rep for 2 count)

3.5" block- 2 sets of holds with 45 lbs.

I came very close today at closing the #2( about 1 penny away!). This Friday I'm taking it downnn!!!

Edited by HandsofStone

CoC Grippers:

#2- 2 sets of CLOSES!!!

#1- 1 set of timed holds

IM Hub pinching- 3 total sets (8 secs. left, 10 secs. right are my PR's) with 20lbs.

Excellent training day. Not only did I mash the #2 for a single for the first time on my first set, but did 2 consecutive reps on my second set!!!

I remember when I first attempted closing it and was only capable of getting the handles parrallel to each other. Considering that I couldn't even close a #1 when I first recieved it on 1-23-03 and am now a #2 closer, I find that as pretty good progress. I wasted ONE month in there as well thinking that I could make gains with the grippers by just exclusively using a BB grip machine, boy was I wrong. I'm now on my way to kick the #3's ASS!!

Edited by HandsofStone

Excellent, :rock

It's good to see you makin that good of progress and only since january, Now whats you're goal for a #3 close?

My goal is to close the #3 before the year is up.

L.J.

Congratulations on your #2 close. It was a huge deal for me when I first closed it.

CoC grippers:

#2- 3 sets of singles

#1- 1 set ( 12 reps left, 10 reps right)

Plate pinches- 3 sets ( 8 secs. left, 8 secs. right) with 52.5 lbs.

Barbell wrist curls- 2 sets with 90 lbs.

Overall, it was a pretty good workout.

CoC grippers:

#2- 2 sets of singles, 2 sets of negatives

IM Hub pinching- 3 sets( best times were 5 secs. left, 8 secs. right) with 22.5 lbs.

Congrats on getting the #2 mashed!!! I'm still working on getting it consistently shut...some days it just doesn't happen.

Jon@han

4/28/03

3 sets of negatives using a Lemley's gripper

3.5" Block- 3 sets of holds with 50 lbs.

CoC grippers:

#2- 3 sets ( Left: 3, 1, 1 / Right: 1, close miss, close miss)

Modified #1- 1 set of overcrushes

IM Hub- 3 sets ( best times were 5secs. left, 7 secs. right) with 22.5 left and 25 lbs. right

I had 2 PR's today. I repped the #2 for 3 reps on the first set. I finally closed the #2 with my right hand. I knew I was going to have a great workout from the moment I woke up. My hands felt strong prior to the workout.

Edited by HandsofStone

Yes I do have a #3 but I can't do HARDCORE Negatives with it like I do with a Lemley's gripper. I love to resist a gripper that I can almost get to full closure. With a #3 I can't work my hold and close properly.

Edited by HandsofStone

Does your Lemley grippers' handles spin? I have one and both handles spin, making it almost impossible to close. :angry: I can close the COC2 with each hand. I have thought about getting someone to weld the handles, but I haven't because I think it just adds to the challenge. How about yours though? - Jedd

My Lemley's gripper does spin a little bit, not enough to effect my hand while closing it. When I first received it in the mail, I removed one of the handles and glued it back to limit spinning.

L.J.

Monday 5/5/03

1 set of negatives with a Lemley's gripper

2 sets of hard negatives with #2

3.5" Block- 3 sets ( PR's are 5 secs. left, 7 secs. right) with 50 lbs.

Friday 5/9/03

#2- 3 sets ( Left: 3,2,1 / Right: close miss, close miss, negative)

#3- 1 set of negatives

I wasn't expecting to make any PR's today. My hands were fried prior to working out due to working outside in the yard. Yesterday I received the "Get a Grip with Joe Kinney" video. I picked up some nice training tips from the legend. It's amazing how he GRINDS the handles of the #4 with AUTHORITY for a couple of seconds!!! After viewing the video, I knew that is was IMPOSSIBLE for me not to crush the #3. The question on the table right now is when will I do it?

Monday

1 set of attempted closes with #3

3 sets of negatives with a Lemley's gripper

1.5" block- 3 sets of holds with 50lbs.

I got the #3 down to atleast parallel if not a little more. Before the wooden block pinches I was fooling around with the older version 2" IM block and couldn't pull 40 lbs. with chalk. When I finished up with the wooden block sets I went to clean the chalk off the IM block with water and noticed the gripping surface had improved. To make a long story short, I ended up pulling an easy 50 lbs. with the IM block. I'll have to give this lift another shot next week when I'm fresh.

Thursday

#2- 2 sets (Left: 3, 2 ; Right: close miss, close miss)

Filed down #1- 1 set (10 left, 6 right)

I wasn't really feeling grip strong today. My hands were still a little sore from Monday's workout. Tommorrow I'll do few sets on the IM Hub.