Noob Race To C.o.c. 2.5!

Electron

I've had my Vulcan for a few months now but I haven't been able to make any progress on it. That thing is a bear.

I've had my Vulcan for a few months now but I haven't been able to make any progress on it. That thing is a bear.

Maybe you should get a weaker spring. I ordered mine and recieved the wasp spring... that gripper never saw the light of day until I ordered the orange spring... now I love it.

• Like 1

been a while since i posted on this thread. kinda lost focus on grippers for a while as i was doing a lot of fat bar and pinch stuff.. back at it and have gotten better at my set lately and am encouraged. closed my ghp 5 for 3 reps when not too long ago i struggled to get 1. my ghp 6 is still far from closed. may have to buy a 2.5 because of the narrower spread will make it a bit easier. also will need to in order to be part of this thing anyways i guess.

been a while since i posted on this thread. kinda lost focus on grippers for a while as i was doing a lot of fat bar and pinch stuff.. back at it and have gotten better at my set lately and am encouraged. closed my ghp 5 for 3 reps when not too long ago i struggled to get 1. my ghp 6 is still far from closed. may have to buy a 2.5 because of the narrower spread will make it a bit easier. also will need to in order to be part of this thing anyways i guess.

Rest and reevaluation is good, especially when you've come back stronger than ever! What is your GHP6 rated/guessed at?

Rest and reevaluation is good, especially when you've come back stronger than ever! What is your GHP6 rated/guessed at?

grippersuperstore rates the 6 at 135. i have nothing to really bechmark against so it could be dead on or slightly above or below. i can close it a bit past parallel but i struggle to get a good set with it. maybe i should start playing with it more as it will help my set on lower grippers.

I'm not too familiar with ghp, but I thought Ironmind's 3 inch spread would be wider.

What are the typical spreads on ghp?

I'm not too familiar with ghp, but I thought Ironmind's 3 inch spread would be wider.

i have 2 GHPs and 3 IMs and all the GHPs are wider by at least 5 mm. i actually have a pick in my gallery for reference purposes.

spread differences

Edited by bubba29

Working with my Vulcan V2 really improved my set. That thing is so difficult to set that setting TSGs is super easy in comparison. If you guy can afford it, I really recommend picking one up the next time Jedd offers them since you save on shipping getting them from him.

i have 2 GHPs and 3 IMs and all the GHPs are wider by at least 5 mm. i actually have a pick in my gallery for reference purposes.

So that's around 80 mm, or 3 1/8 inches? I suppose it could be a big difference when you're working in max efforts.

Working with my Vulcan V2 really improved my set. That thing is so difficult to set that setting TSGs is super easy in comparison. If you guy can afford it, I really recommend picking one up the next time Jedd offers them since you save on shipping getting them from him.

Cool man, I've gotta consider that too. Lately I've been working on my 3 and 2.5 for setting practice.

Can you pleae give more info on this? I can close the #3 in chocker for reps but mms no way yet. Is it so hard to set so that a #3 will feel so easy next time you try?

Whats a TSG? And whats the different between Vulcan V2 and the normal David Horn Vulcan? Both are from Horn yeah? And where can I buy it besides Jedd? From David site?

Thanks!

Can I join the race? Im after the #2.5 TNS. Recent PR was 1-2mm from closing a BBSM rated at #130.

Sure thing man. Does your 2.5 feel harder than your BBSM? I'm assuming the max effort was with a TNS right?

Can you pleae give more info on this? I can close the #3 in chocker for reps but mms no way yet. Is it so hard to set so that a #3 will feel so easy next time you try?

Whats a TSG? And whats the different between Vulcan V2 and the normal David Horn Vulcan? Both are from Horn yeah? And where can I buy it besides Jedd? From David site?

Thanks!

A TSG is a Torsion Spring Gripper, like Captain of Crush grippers or anything that looks like them. The Vulcans are of a different kind of spring, and are technically extension coil spring grippers.

They feel different when you try to close them, because vulcans need constant pressure to move (they're difficult from the start) while torsion springs are easy in the beginning, and get harder as you get closer to shutting it. This is because of the mechanics of the different springs.

When you use a vulcan, this is why it's harder to set in the beginning, because it requires more initial force to move. That's why if you practice with an extension spring gripper, torsion spring grippers are going to be easier for you to set.

Unfortunately, I don't know the difference between the two vulcans. I think it just came down to workmanship and the knurling being there...

Thanks!

Hey dude. TSG = Torsion Spring Gripper. Captains of crush, beef builders, RBs etc... are examples of torsion spring grippers. The V1 and V2 Vulcans aren't TSGs. They have a different feel. TSGs ramp up and get harder at the close. The Vulcan is hard right from the start. I have only used the V2 but its spread is wider than both a Captain of Crush gripper and the V1. By having that hard resistance right at the beginning, a wide spread (I think my V2's spread is like 3.6 inches) and smooth handles you have to work a lot harder to set the V2. Its super frustrating in the beginning. In fact, I almost gave up using my V2. I stuck with though and now can consistently close level 17. Working that hard on the V2, made setting TSGs really easy for me. Usually the exercises that are hard are the ones we benefit most from. You can buy directly from David Horne's site as well. I don't like choker work. I like buying progressivly harder grippers. If you use a choker too often, you neglect set and sweep strength.

haha. You slipped right under me

Thanks to both of you for the reply! I really appreciate it! One last question, if i can do a strong (with a click sound) on a 140 RGC gripper what level is good for me on the V2?

Edit: so buying a V2 is a wise choice to be stronger on grippers?

Edited by Alawadhi

Hard to tell what level. The V2 is adjustable. You just gotta work with it and see where your at. Also, use rubber bands to micro load in between levels. I honestly think working with both the V2 and TSGs really helped me get the COC#3 cert as fast as I did (8.5 months of training).

Then the first thing i'll do tomorrow morning is to buy a V2. And hopefully i can close a #3 and cert on it by next year max. We will see.

Just work hard no matter how you train. I pump music, drink coffee and try to get super intense every grip workout. Keep plugging away and it will come. Good luck.

Let's just put it this way on how well that it works for a set. I've been working with the vulcan for about a year now with little to no training on the torsion spring grippers and cannot close a #2.5 but can get a pretty good set on the coc#3 and can credit card set a coc#3.5.

What you mean you can ccs a 3.5? Do you mean you can just set it at a ccs distancr? If so then thats good for someone who cant even close a 2.5! I can close a 2.5 (didnt test it best i assume its around 140 lb because it is harder than my adj bbgm at 137.5) but cant set a 3.5 to parallel. Didnt try ccs but i assume i cant.

So you are saying while training on the V2 is perfect for setting, dont just neglect your gripper becayse that helps with the close more? If so then its just like what Chez said to train them both to reach a #3 cert. Hopefully i will.

The biggest difference between the vulcan is that if it starts at 140lbs pressure to close than it ends with 140lbs pressure to close... that may be a bit of an exaggeration but you get the point. On the captains of crush the set is the easiest part then at parallel the close becomes drastically harder.

However, I do work on a secret weapon to help with my close from parallel... why? Because I do not have to exert energy during the set.

I personally do not see torsion spring grippers as a builder of strength... but a test of strength. Why? If you had a barbell with plates welded on; 180lbs, 250lbs, 300lbs, 375lbs. Could you build your squat or deadlift? Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it.

I partially agree, TSGs are a bit like bars with weights welded on. I do think, however, that 1)buying TSGs in increments as you get stronger is more appealing to most, over spending tons on the initial cost of a vulcan, and 2)if you have a TSG for every 10#s on the RGC near your strength range, improving is still easy.

I think the choice that people make with grippers just comes down to practicality, which in most cases, TSGs have the greater appeal.

One of the things folks should keep in mind is that strapholds can go a long ways to bridge the gaps between grippers. It's inexpensive, doesn't damage the gripper, and at least for me, really helps beef up the last few millimeters of the close.

I've filed my easier grippers, and have started combining strapholds with filed gripper closes for extra work beyond the range.