Gripmas Carol 2008

climber511

What about a farmer's walk with feed sacks? Put sandbags on the sacks for weight, and you're only allowed to grab a handful of sack to carry em' with. A sack in each hand, rising bar on the weight, 4 attempts.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• MalachiMcMullen

• jad

• Bob Lipinski

This sounds interesting - where is gripmas held? (city /state) and will it be a Sat.? so I can try to get some plane tickets.

This sounds interesting - where is gripmas held? (city /state) and will it be a Sat.? so I can try to get some plane tickets.

I can't speak for Chris this year but if all is the same as 2007 then it will be held at Chris's house in Crooksville, OH and will be on a Saturday.

What about a farmer's walk with feed sacks? Put sandbags on the sacks for weight, and you're only allowed to grab a handful of sack to carry em' with. A sack in each hand, rising bar on the weight, 4 attempts.

Sandbags IN the sacks, not ON em'!! Wow, I can't type!! LOL! :D

Sandbags IN the sacks, not ON em'!! Wow, I can't type!! LOL! :D

You could also have a variation of this in which after you lost your grip and dropped one or both of the sacks, you then immediately had to load them onto a platform. Would be pretty tough with a fried grip.

I can't speak for Chris this year but if all is the same as 2007 then it will be held at Chris's house in Crooksville, OH and will be on a Saturday.

It will be here at my house the same as last year. There will be a few changes though. There will be an entry deadline, and if I don't have your form and money by then, it will cost you double to show up the day of the contest. The wife had to go grocery shopping the day of the contest last year and another 20 mile trip to get enough skillets for everyone later - that's not fair to her.

We have a long time yet - I'm hoping to be even more innovative than last year for you guys.

• 1 month later...

Any chance you might have hoseclamped (or chokered) grippers at parallel again? I've had some luck with that lately.

I have begun the debate with my wife to attend this contest. Whatever the hell you decide, let us know 3-4 months out!

I like the axle cleans, those would be fun to train. Slim style levers or weaver stick too, it would give me a good excuse to train those hard.

I have begun the debate with my wife to attend this contest. Whatever the hell you decide, let us know 3-4 months out!

I like the axle cleans, those would be fun to train. Slim style levers or weaver stick too, it would give me a good excuse to train those hard.

Bob - I have found that flowers never hurt when entering into the "Honey, there's this grip contest in _______ I'd like to go to" :D

I sure hope you can make it this year - I think you'll really like the events this time around. The medley is going to be scary hard - somehow I have to shut down Dave and Jedd this year - not sure just how to do that but I plan to try - of course that doesn't bode well for the rest of us at all. There will be 5 events - three are decided already - 2HP, Axle DO, Medley. The other two are still up in the air but I will post them here before long - just a few minor details to work out yet on them.

• 2 months later...

A lot of thinking has been going on here at climber headquarters about Gripmas. After reading the "Why won't you compete" posts - I have come to the conclusion that I simply cannot satisfy everyone - and possible no one :blush . I'm going to address those things I feel I can and hope that I can have a good crowd of competitors like I had last year. I have some ideas but want to wait until after GGC to talk about them - let's take one contest at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

The Gripmas Carol

December 13, 2008

Where: Climbers Garage or possible other Crooksville Location

230 Burley St

Crooksville, Ohio 43731

Contest Events

Calibrated Grippers in chokers

Euro Pinch

Olympic Bar One Hand DL - No Hook Grip

Medley from Hades

Weaver Stick to the Rear – wrist wrap allowed and furnished

Two Weight Classes – 207# and below – 208# and above. You will be weighed before the meet. Any light weight may lift in the open class if you choose to ahead of time.

There will be trophies for the top 3 in each division and prizes for 4th and 5th. I am doing everything I can think of to make a fairer contest for all – regardless of bodyweight or handsize while still making it challenging for all.

Scoring will be the percentage based system – with the best lift given 10 points and everyone else given percentage points based on that lift.

Complete set of rules, entry form etc will be coming soon. If you believe you will be attending – I’d really appreciate a response in this thread so I can have an idea of how many might be coming.

I will be there Chris. Come hell or high water, I will be there.

I know this is in the thread somewhere but, could we have a link to weaver stick specs and rules?

Brent

I know this is in the thread somewhere but, could we have a link to weaver stick specs and rules?

Brent

From David Horne's Website

Weaver Stick Lift to Rear

George Russell Weaver popularized this wrist leverage test some 50 years ago whilst living in Brooklyn. A round stick (mop handle) is used which has the following dimensions – diameter about 1”, length 42”. Half an inch from one end cut a notch. Exactly 36” from the center of this notch, circle the stick with a line. Get two metal right angles at a hardware store, and screw them into the top and bottom sides of the stick so that the rear edges of the right angles come exactly to the circled line. The topside of the stick is the side where the notch is cut. This leaves a handle just 5 ½” long.

The weight hangs from a wire in the notch ½” from the end, creating a leverage effect when you lift the stick by the handle. For the lift to the rear, you face away from the stick, grasping the handle with your little finger towards the weight, and lift the stick and weight off the table. You may bend your body forward as the lift is made.

The stick must be lifted approximately parallel to the floor. If the weighted end slopes downwards, you may carry on the event till the stick is level. You will then get the referees command to lower the stick. There must be no rocking of the stick on the table before lifting. The lifter hand and arm must remain free of the body. The heel of the hand must remain on top of the stick; if the hand twists around under the stick, the lift is not allowed. The grip has to be a normal grip with the thumb opposing the fingers.

For safety reasons, this is the only event the BHSA allow the use of a wrist wrap. The wrist wrap should be no bigger than 12" x 3". At the British Hand Strength Championships 2008 the wrist wrap will be provided.

Looks like an outstanding contest Chris. I especially like how you added a weight class!

1. I need to see if I can get off work because I'm on that Saturday. Should be able to figure that out this week.

2. I need to get some guys to go up there with me so we can split the cost otherwise it's just too much dough around the holidays. Ben, Brad, Scott Harris, John III, anyone interested, shoot me a pm!

In the meantime, I've got 13# to drop!

"Calibrated Grippers in chokers" and weight classes; I'd like to support any contest that includes those features-so I'll be there if I can find one or more guys near me who will share a ride (Scott, Anson, Chad, etc.)

"Calibrated Grippers in chokers" and weight classes; I'd like to support any contest that includes those features-so I'll be there if I can find one or more guys near me who will share a ride (Scott, Anson, Chad, etc.)

It Looks like I might be able to help ya out! i surly don't won't to miss two contest in a year. see ya in October.