Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 4 Months and 21 Days
  • Local time: 09:37 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:42 PM

thanks T . After seeing many of the past worlds strongest men, great lifters ...worthwhile sticking with it. HULK Hogan stopped by for a bit on his way to another show engagement. Nice to see him again .

This is as good an excuse for me to ask something that I have been wondering about for 12 years, so here goes:

In June, 2002, when Mark Henry cleaned and pressed the Inch Replica at the AOBS banquet, right before he begins his pull, there is a voice of encouragement that sounds like Hulk Hogan. I know there were WWE folks at that function. Was Hulk Hogan in attendance that night? 

Thanks for the writeup. There used to be lots of guys reporting on the Internet, not the case any more. I spoke to Stanless last night, and he enjoyed himself. 

#542 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

Sponsor, Grip Master & Legend - 621

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 7 Months and 26 Days
  • Local time: 05:37 AM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

Hulk was not there the night(,about 11:30 pm Mark Henry cleaned ,push pressed, lowered, and then carried one handed an Inch replica bell gingerly to place the bell on the speakers podium. I was asked to provide a proper dimension and weight replica bell of the original Inch since the use of the original was declined.
I think the bell weighed bout 6-8 oz heavier than the original. It was kept under lock and key and until the event with witnesses standing by as a porter took it to the room after AOBS president Vic Boff produced the closet key.
Everyone was excited seeing history .I recall me hollering out encouragement caught in audio section of video. I don't recall Hulk ever attending a full dinner program with the AOBS.

#543 OFFLINE   Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

Hulk was not there the night(,about 11:30 pm Mark Henry cleaned ,push pressed, lowered, and then carried one handed an Inch replica bell gingerly to place the bell on the speakers podium. I was asked to provide a proper dimension and weight replica bell of the original Inch since the use of the original was declined.
I think the bell weighed bout 6-8 oz heavier than the original. It was kept under lock and key and until the event with witnesses standing by as a porter took it to the room after AOBS president Vic Boff produced the closet key.
Everyone was excited seeing history .I recall me hollering out encouragement caught in audio section of video. I don't recall Hulk ever attending a full dinner program with the AOBS.

Thanks. Mystery solved. It is about 37, 38 seconds into it when you hear the Hogan-like voice:

#544 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:26 PM

"Come on brother" is what I hollered to him during video.

#545 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:46 PM

Mark was a gamer. His shoulder was hurt from a wrestling injury ,so I heard it suggested to him to just try his best to clean it. Even hurt and in danger he push pressed it ( short single leg drive) not a jerk ,or strict press. He sure showed determination and desire to please the crowd. We all gasped louder when he grabbed up the bell one handed after the lift and carried it to the podium. By placing it on there I thought the table would collapse. It didn't ,and that impromptu show of reserve grip astounded most of us by how gentle and the mastery of total control he exhibited when handling it.

#546 OFFLINE   Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:36 PM

"Come on brother" is what I hollered to him during video.

Well, over the years, in the "comments" section of Youtube, an Urban Myth was created. A number of guys claimed that was Hogan. Even though I knew better, the WWE film crew there made me believe that it was a possibility. Didn't know it was you.

Edit: I counted 7 comments on youtube mentioning the voice was Hogan's. Like I said, an Urban Myth created. 

Edited by Hubgeezer, 13 October 2014 - 07:43 PM.

#547 OFFLINE   3Crusher

3Crusher

Certified RED Nail Bender & Certified COC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 8 Months and 2 Days

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:31 AM

Richard,

I was there that night.  You can hear me whooping it up on the video.  John Hicks shot this video.  I also shot video that night and the time of the lift was 11:15 pm (I announced it into the camera's microphone right before the lift), so you were very close in your approximation of the time of the lift.  I also have on video your reaction to Mark Henry's lift.  You looked at me in complete disbelief at what you just saw and shook your head and said something about that lift being one of the most unbelievable things you ever saw.  The 2002 AOBS dinner was the last that Vic Boff was alive for and it was was an event filled with raw energy and was alot of fun to attend.  And I can back you up on saying that Hulk Hogan was NOT there, but Bill Kazmaier was.  Discus great Al Oerter was also a guest of honor that night as well. 

Steve

Edited by 3Crusher, 14 October 2014 - 04:32 AM.

#548 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:37 AM

In error I added an additional reply to the Neck a Training and Grip post that was supposed in paragraph two to be in accord with Mr. Hub Geezer had to this day after thinking Hulk Hogan Hogan was at the elevation of the Replica a Inch by a Mark Henry. People want to believe and money gained along with power perhaps are at the root of all evil. In many cases little known folk heros are perhaps created a fantastic claim in a "joke type situation gone bad "or as an embellishment to a budding, inspiring story line.

#549 OFFLINE   slazbob

slazbob

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 9 Months and 12 Days
  • Local time: 11:37 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:29 PM

A few noted grip experts were interested by reading a letter that the the first 4 ever shut , had been never seen by anyone of grip mastery was in fact "stole" and replaced for a later video with a borrowed gripper. Strange how history works itself out. .

funny how this did workout... YOU, were the one who had the "secret letters" ...all along. But we knew that. You hit a home run bringing that letter there. Very sad.

#550 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:37 AM

I am happy for anyone doing there best in grip or strength. I have had fun but it is not about me. I just want the guys and gals that do aspire to find that magic feeling of success shutting a3,4,or five ....whatever. I have been a sportsman my entire life and dedicated to strength and grip over 50 years. I do feel to have fun is one thing, be historically accurate another, and not abusing a situation of "a new snake oil" lining the pockets of others.
Respect and memories as I have said is to me the distillation of all we do. I can accept honest defeat and support others far greater than I , but respect and memories I do expect to give and earn equally in return.
I have been in the woods for two days enjoying the wonders of nature. Saw a enjoyed and let a bunch of deer go on to live and perhaps give some other aspiring hunter a thrill. We have a real coyote problem in the state fawns pulled down (2out of every3) and eaten alive by coyotes. After passing a good buck I saw a big male coyote trailing planning to do more of his his gristly work. Well, as with any other vermin

I greeted his loping hungry gait with a .300 mag. placed in his left eye.
  • acorn and GrassMaine89 like this

#551 OFFLINE   slazbob

slazbob

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:35 PM

I am happy for anyone doing there best in grip or strength. I have had fun but it is not about me. I just want the guys and gals that do aspire to find that magic feeling of success shutting a3,4,or five ....whatever. I have been a sportsman my entire life and dedicated to strength and grip over 50 years. I do feel to have fun is one thing, be historically accurate another, and not abusing a situation of "a new snake oil" lining the pockets of others.
Respect and memories as I have said is to me the distillation of all we do. I can accept honest defeat and support others far greater than I , but respect and memories I do expect to give and earn equally in return.

Richard-
Why isn't the respect given to Joe Kinney? I think you are taking away from Grip history when you try to throw the digs at him or take (his) mail and show it to people at a strength dinner.

You don't make an effort to go and talk with him on the IronMind forum, they won't let this be discussed here...because they know it's wrong what's being said. I think this is a shame....you guys getting along working things out, would be a great thing.

Bursting a beer can with just your hands is a awesome feat...I'm sure you tried. Joe did that pretty easy. Even Magnus used his chest to burst them. Now, if you had the grip to smash a no.4 in your day, don't you think that can would have burst?...sure you do.

Even if you don't believe Joe is the real deal, the impact he has had on grip IS real. A lot of guys on here were influenced by Joe; most I would say.

I've been at it long enough to have you as an influence....and Joe is a huge part of it, too! I combine it all and enjoy training.

Work it out, Richard ...it's no good to carry this around with you.

#552 OFFLINE   Wannagrip

Wannagrip

Administrator & Certified Captain of Crush

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,217 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 8 Months and 3 Days
  • Local time: 10:37 PM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:55 AM

"because they know it's wrong what's being said."

I'd like to pipe in for just a minute and clarify something.

The reason actually is because all this "controversy" does nothing to advance grip and the growth of grip.  It creates ill will, bickering, arguing, finger pointing, and more. Nothing gets accomplished -- ever.  I've been on the net since the beginning. Frankly, there is NO resolving disagreements in this type of category -- at least not behind keyboards. In fact, in general it just doesn't happen.  Negativity in any form if it can be avoided is the mission here and POSITIVE movement forward of grip.  I also think the impersonal aspect of being behind a computer and the net ruins a lot and that in person a lot of the stuff on the net would not occur.  It turns people numb from the aspect of true personal relationships if they are not careful.  

I apologize to Richard for hijacking his training log and posting this.  But, I wanted to clarify the board's position.  

When all is said in done, this is all about having fun and it being a salvation of stress relief for all of us. FUN!  GRIP IS FUN!  We've tried to be consistent with this for a lot of years (see the rules) to try and maintain a positive and supportive atmosphere here and it will be continued. 

Thanks everyone and I hope everyone has a great weekend! :)

• Tank Andrade likes this

#553 OFFLINE   slazbob

slazbob

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:37 AM

"because they know it's wrong what's being said."

I'd like to pipe in for just a minute and clarify something.

The reason actually is because all this "controversy" does nothing to advance grip and the growth of grip.  It creates ill will, bickering, arguing, finger pointing, and more. Nothing gets accomplished -- ever.  I've been on the net since the beginning. Frankly, there is NO resolving disagreements in this type of category -- at least not behind keyboards. In fact, in general it just doesn't happen.  Negativity in any form if it can be avoided is the mission here and POSITIVE movement forward of grip.  I also think the impersonal aspect of being behind a computer and the net ruins a lot and that in person a lot of the stuff on the net would not occur.  It turns people numb from the aspect of true personal relationships if they are not careful.  

I apologize to Richard for hijacking his training log and posting this.  But, I wanted to clarify the board's position.  

When all is said in done, this is all about having fun and it being a salvation of stress relief for all of us. FUN!  GRIP IS FUN!  We've tried to be consistent with this for a lot of years (see the rules) to try and maintain a positive and supportive atmosphere here and it will be continued. 

Thanks everyone and I hope everyone has a great weekend! :)

I certainly agree with you, Bill. But to make this stick, everyone...including Richard, should respect this policy. When he talks about Joe Kinney, it's in a negative tone.

I know it's probably business letting him talk...but money should not give him a louder voice than the rest of us.

And a new comer to grip...and the GB, is allowed to believe Kinney was a fraud because Richard said so. I know you're trying to do the right thing. And I am too...internally I will always like Richard, I can't help it; he was the guy I looked up to starting out. So when he acts this way, it makes me comment.

It's something he never resolves. He just throws a dig here and there. Doesn't respond to Joe at all. In the end he has no proof of what he claims...just a hunch. That's probably why he doesn't argue the point with Joe. It was so long ago that this was relevant, it's really not anymore. Joe was certified long ago, with more than enough proof.

It's just that this policy that the board has should protect Joe, not leave him to be bashed by one of it's sponsors.

That would be a positive outcome to all this.

Edited by slazbob, 18 October 2014 - 10:40 AM.

#554 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

I have said dozens of time it is about fun , strength and grip. With a small specialized world the people of grip involved with negativity does throw a wet blanket on any progress. Both Ironmind and my company are sponsors here so I fail to see unequal representation. I have a right to answer questions of any kind I choose to ,and people that tell me what "I meant or what I think "does seem quite unfair. I have encouraged all to at least take the time to do proper research before blurting out their opinions. I've been involved and active with grip more than 50 years, not two ,and hundreds of people significant in their contributions to the strength world know , have seen me in action, my actual equipment, and how I have dealt with them in business.
Because you on any want to believe in something still doesn't make it correct. If you don't care I truly don't care. I try to encourage others, support grip and try to enrich people serious to training with what I have learned personally by competing and thousands of hours in actual training while having face to face contact with the best in grip and strength in history.
Every observation I have made or commented on was in an effort to enhance or clarify the history of strength grip from as close and honestly as I can. Have fun, feel free to contact me And if you have genuine concern or wish to visit personally I would always welcome any of you. Richard
  • tspinillo and Tank Andrade like this

#555 OFFLINE   slazbob

slazbob

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:14 PM

Richard-
Here is your chance to tell us why we need to be "smart" and why we should drink your brand of lemonade.

Why don't you tell us why you bash Kinney...instead of blurting out things like "lemonade" and such.

Here is your chance to get it all out. If you don't explain yourself now, you're gonna lose the ears you have been whispering in.

And I told a GB mod that I was done with this for lack of resolving it. But you have the floor....

#556 OFFLINE   barbe705

barbe705

Certified Bastard & Mash Monster Level 2

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts
  • Joined 8 Years and 28 Days

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:43 AM

we're not doing this here.  it accomplishes nothing.  and as richard pointed out, he can chose the questions he answers.  clearly that's off the table.

• bencrush and tspinillo like this

#557 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

A busy weekend with the seasons changing some travel ahead with a better appetite in cool weather to fuel workouts. Weekend was a one of fun and organization. It is hard to let too many things pile up and just keep flailing away . Life is fuller more rewarding with rest, rehab, resetting ,cleaning and production. Had a great cookout Friday for our hard working crew looking forward to a new larger facility for production, offices ,warehousing,gym ,and museum . Large enough for competitions and seminars as well.
Son Bert hunts before work nearer to home and harvested a fine buck and the process of showing little son Ezra the duty of after the kill. To show the animal respect and do all you can to never waste any life. The little guy was thrilled. Petted the deer in a reverent manner and helped with those young but soon to be mighty hands to drag him a bit back to the truck. He did say at such a young age "he loved the bucks and they live in the grass.
Grip has been around but still fairly young as an organized sport. To involve ,explain ,and encourage the young will be the key to grip and Iron history to survive. I have always brought the things I feel are good and important in life towards my son in a way that he can enjoy ,find a measure of satisfaction ,and success in activities that we could still share in later years. Hunt, fish, golf, lift, tennis , ......anything that will extend those years of positive relationships is important to preserve a family.
Working out tonight full body , some grip chokes on a Pops gripper and walking with chain to shake out a bit. Is the plan. My rep benches last week with 300 was a very good sign of continued progress for me.

Edited by 1stCoC, 20 October 2014 - 01:20 PM.

#558 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:15 AM

Another full house last night. Did the basics ,weights moved smooth and deep . Bench press is going as well as it had in many years, squats were deep and soreness was greatly reduced by deep muscle therapy sessions by the therapist that woks on the USC football players. It seems to be a good pre ,rehab for my Thompson stretching protocol. A welcome young face Ty honored us with another workout. He is a big ,strong youth and is eager to learn. We will all try to help him. We were all there once as unsure beginners in the past and I am sure most of us on the site were inspired or helped by a elder mentor. Time to give back. It is a great feeling to look at a room full of great people ,champions and plain dedicated people trying to making their lives better while having a bit of fun.
Trying personally during hunt season to keep the workouts simple basic and related to stay healthy. Choke pinches and walking carrying chains seem to round out the basic maintaining of my strength/fitness level.
Baby D literal superwoman is scheduled to be flown to Russia to compete in the Mas Wrestling championships. This is still another sport this highly talented lady competes in . Other exceptional people in our extended family Dan McKim,Adrian Wilson, Cyborg Lawson and Rich Williams continue to support and enjoy all aspects of being " strong".

Edited by 1stCoC, 21 October 2014 - 09:17 AM.