1stCoC

Sponsor, Grip Master & Legend - 621

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 7 Months and 2 Days
  • Local time: 06:29 PM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:34 AM

Good night lifting .benches 5sets of 5 and went straight to deadlifts for a change up. Old school bar and weights taken on my own time as others did their workouts. I needed some thinking time so what better to do than deadlifts. Worked easily and hard in sets of 3 to 405 and back to 4 more sets at 365, 2 sets of 5at 330, and two finisher sets of 10 at 275.
Stretching ,Thompson protocol calmed my back and hips in a few minutes and did some neck traction on a simple new device.
I was moved to action yesterday thinking " boy I have been busy "but upon seeing some very long time friend visit I was in a way glad to be "able and game "to do the things I love despite the choice of letting injury or neglect put me aside. My friend I haven seen for several years remains changed from a vibrant life to a home body cursed by the ravenges of smoking and the agent orange he dealt with during th Viet Nam conflict. Wounded three times and blown up by a fleshette round from "our side" left him filled with pain and metal for life. A few years back he gave me his then (1967)new watch he had bought the day before his last injury. It was stopped at the moment of blast impact. As he lay dying he had the presence of mind to smear his blood and soil over his wrists to hopefully prevent the watch being seen by the enemy when they found his body. I treasure that gift and his commitment to America. He arrived yesterday winded from climbing the steps to our plant and had a portable oxygen bottle with him. A shell of what he was , he said the last heavy thing he lifted was 11 years ago. I didn't feel sorry for him just glad to listen and be a friend. I don't know if in his perceptive mind he was squaring all things up for a "tough or short road ahead". He summed it up when he in a low raspy voice said " my mom just passed at 93 , I don't think I will see that age nor do I want to" . Proud to have played the cards dealt by almost urging me to stay active and strong as long as I could. It's all about quality of life not quantity. Thanks Frank.
  • tspinillo, Shoggoth, floyd43 and 1 other like this

#522 ONLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:45 PM

Varied my weekend from hunting to seeing some local town sites and kicking back a bit doing some light work inventing with my hands. Tonight should be a good lifting night being cooler
My son Bert has returned from some great meetings with top college coaches , military operators ,and the actors in the movie Full Metal Jacket are putting together a tv series on a post World War 3 situational drama. Adam ( Animal Mother) Baldwin is excited to get back together with us in LA. We have some designs to do some specific training during filming on site.
Baby D has competed non stop so it will be great to have her back with us again to let dust settle and get to train on a regular basis.

#523 ONLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:00 AM

I don't know if it is the cooler air , life going pretty well , stretching, or the sessions I have been doing with the the band activated neck/ harness decompression unit I have been using the last three weeks but my bench and standing press have gone up quite a bit. Reps singles ,and sets have increased. I don't know if all the nerve damage I sustained a year ago to my neck and rotator cuff area is being helped by the decompression ,added range of motion from the Thompson protocol or what but I am sleeping better, and lifting more than I have done in years .......perhaps decades.

#524 OFFLINE   Big T

Big T

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 1 Month and 21 Days
  • Local time: 11:29 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

Good night lifting .benches 5sets of 5 and went straight to deadlifts for a change up. Old school bar and weights taken on my own time as others did their workouts. I needed some thinking time so what better to do than deadlifts. Worked easily and hard in sets of 3 to 405 and back to 4 more sets at 365, 2 sets of 5at 330, and two finisher sets of 10 at 275.
Stretching ,Thompson protocol calmed my back and hips in a few minutes and did some neck traction on a simple new device.
I was moved to action yesterday thinking " boy I have been busy "but upon seeing some very long time friend visit I was in a way glad to be "able and game "to do the things I love despite the choice of letting injury or neglect put me aside. My friend I haven seen for several years remains changed from a vibrant life to a home body cursed by the ravenges of smoking and the agent orange he dealt with during th Viet Nam conflict. Wounded three times and blown up by a fleshette round from "our side" left him filled with pain and metal for life. A few years back he gave me his then (1967)new watch he had bought the day before his last injury. It was stopped at the moment of blast impact. As he lay dying he had the presence of mind to smear his blood and soil over his wrists to hopefully prevent the watch being seen by the enemy when they found his body. I treasure that gift and his commitment to America. He arrived yesterday winded from climbing the steps to our plant and had a portable oxygen bottle with him. A shell of what he was , he said the last heavy thing he lifted was 11 years ago. I didn't feel sorry for him just glad to listen and be a friend. I don't know if in his perceptive mind he was squaring all things up for a "tough or short road ahead". He summed it up when he in a low raspy voice said " my mom just passed at 93 , I don't think I will see that age nor do I want to" . Proud to have played the cards dealt by almost urging me to stay active and strong as long as I could. It's all about quality of life not quantity. Thanks Frank.

Glad to read your friend is up and moving.  I haven't seen some friends and years and when you catch up to them....you realize "true friendship never dies" 

#525 OFFLINE   climber511

climber511

Certified FBBC Bastard & IM Red Nail & MM Level 0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,706 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 1 Month and 5 Days
  • Local time: 12:29 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

War is a terrible business - no one escapes unscathed.  Tell your friend a fellow Vietnam Vet wishes him well.

#526 ONLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:19 AM

I will do that , it is important to study history as a link similar to a "crystal ball" to the future.
We were all tired from a good day lifting Monday but no one shirked ,and triplex pulls , rep sets of 4 in the deadlift using no straps, , ez curls 5 sets of 6 and 5 sets of 10 strict in the machine constant tension curl. Lighter protocol stretching because too heavy a band pulling makes you tense up and resist the rehabilitating ,elongating action of the band.
A bit of sadness with son Bert with the family having to put their beloved cat down. It was done with respect and care and a new kitten was added to the mix for the young grand children to grow up with. Life and change is tough but we must embrace it. Respect and memories.
It is odd that when one gift is given or flourishes another fades . My general strength and coaching results are up but pesky things like sore fingers ,and aching wrists have to be dealt with. A cruel joke played on us all with increasing age.
Gripping twice a week with intense but low repetition lifts seem to help. The choke pinch exercise done on the Pops gripper seem to sustain my overall power and thumb / finger strength balance ratio through a full range has done wonders.. I saw Houde Wilson again last night casually during his deadlift( 100 total reps) workout sut the #3 with authority.
First day with our long time supporter and super strong man Jason Lawson working to head up our "boots on the ground" sales department. A backround in college, pro football a nationally high ranked natural powerlifter , giant Crossfitters, and strong man adds to his effective hands on insight to help our customers choose the best training protocol within their given situation.

Edited by 1stCoC, Yesterday, 07:28 AM.

#527 ONLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted Today, 06:02 AM

Old man Rag weed starting to die around here only adding to sniffling and upper chest congestion for all. Oh well, I like the change in season anyway. Going to train tonight and get some of the soreness out of my upper back and traps from all the pulling. Grip tonight with Pops gripper and a half dozen or so TNS closes with a 2.5 should do.
The podcast I did with Eric Fiorillo last Friday brought back some memories of good times , mind set, little known facts ,and how it was when the golden years of American lifting were at it's peak. He has a great show with some very informative solid guests. Perhaps some of you may enjoy following his efforts.

#528 ONLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted Today, 09:00 AM

You never know who you might run Ito in the shop. I walked out checking on a new grip unit combo I have been thinking on and greeted by TV Program winner of "One ManArmy"now preparing for the state of SC. Police Olympics. Standing right next to him was a form that I have used on my "faces of intensity "chart in the a Sorinex training facility as a 10 out of 10.Gold medalist ,Olympian In 2004 for the shot put, Adam Nelson is a wonderful competitor ,and man of super intensity. His gold came from 2004 after a substance test results showed him to being the clean ,clear winner. His patience and sportsmanship was amazing to have gone though "the wait. "His training goes on through those he coaches now giving back all he has taken years and tears to learn.