Log: Getting As Strong As When I Was 25 By The Time I'm 40

Royz

That's great news roy! Soon you'll be back to 100! Then it'll be a matter of staying there :D

Thanks for the optimism! I don't think I ever came even close to doing a 100 TNS reps on a #1, maybe 30 or 40. So that would be REAL progress. :grin:

• Like 1

Training 21-5

DO deadlift

1x180kg/ 1x190kg/ 1x200kg!/ 1x205kg!

WOOHOO! Broke the 200kg barrier! 200 went up relatively easy, but 205 was hard. This also the max amount I can currently hold on to without straps. Felt my hands starting to slip.

Reverse barbell lunge

8x50kg/ 8x60kg/ 8x70kg/ 8x75kg

Very interesting variation of the lunge. Tough.

Romanian deadlift

10x100kg/ 10x120kg/ 8x130kg/ 8x130kg

Dumbbell deadlift Fatgripz Extreme

8x48kg/ 2x53kg

Vertical bar - 5cm clear coated wood

6x75kg/ 6x75kg

Plate curl (not very strict)

8x10kg (full size olympic plate)/ 3x15kg (small plate)/ 2x15kg(full size olympic plate)

And a reverse pyramid with no rest - 3x15kg(big )/ 3x15kg(small)/ 5x10kg(big)/ 5x10kg(small)

Seated calf press one legged

15x80kg/ 15x85kg/ 15x85kg

Keypinch on vulcan with thumbscrews

Couple of 8 rep sets.

And I took the time to capture my 200kg deadlift and other stuff on video.

Including dumbbell deadlifts with Fatgripz extreme where I'm interrupted by bozo instructor who says I'm making to much noise... :whacked So you see me assist a little bit with my offhand on the last reps so the weight doesn't come down quite as hard.

• Like 1

Wow Roy impressive videos! Your Deadlift form is perfect and what a grip to match! Wish I had that strong of a supporting grip. very nice fg Deadlifts, vbar and plate curls also. You may not be hitting grippers but your grip is getting a hell of a workout brother.

Wow Roy impressive videos! Your Deadlift form is perfect and what a grip to match! Wish I had that strong of a supporting grip. very nice fg Deadlifts, vbar and plate curls also. You may not be hitting grippers but your grip is getting a hell of a workout brother.

Thanks man! First time I ever saw myself deadlift. Pretty pleased with the form too.

Interesting....good to see you making progress. I too am in the same situation, found myself at age 36 and getting soft so I was all of a sudden wanting to see if I could get stronger than I was when I was younger. Plus one of my friends got me hooked on the grip stuff and so now I am just starting out on the process. I may post a log like this to keep track. It is good to see others doing it. Motivating.

Everyone says age makes recovery time take longer, have you noticed a if it is a lot or a little longer? When did you start noticing it? For me I only started feeling more tired/needing more recovery time in the last year, but I was not doing that much from the time I turned 30 so I am not sure if it is just because I started doing a lot more workouts. I can't remember how long it used to take me to recover when I was 25. I know back then I could not work out for a year and decide to jog 2 miles and lift weights and do it, now it have to work up to it. A friend of mine does competitive mountain biking and he noticed a drop in stamina and speed around age 38. On the other hand he knows guys in their 50's who can still out race guys who are 25-35. Mind vs Body, determination, work slow with your body to work up to it and avoid injury.

Bummer on the elbow, I have just got over a case of that same pain and I got it building a garage not working out, which was not cool. Took longer to go away than I thought it should have. Anyway good to see the posts and keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Was that guy for real. Bumping to hard. Get a life haha

Good lifting bro! Very good. Good form also man. Muscle memory's kicking in! :-)

Looking forward to train together dude. Any news on our date?

Interesting....good to see you making progress. I too am in the same situation, found myself at age 36 and getting soft so I was all of a sudden wanting to see if I could get stronger than I was when I was younger. Plus one of my friends got me hooked on the grip stuff and so now I am just starting out on the process. I may post a log like this to keep track. It is good to see others doing it. Motivating.

Everyone says age makes recovery time take longer, have you noticed a if it is a lot or a little longer? When did you start noticing it? For me I only started feeling more tired/needing more recovery time in the last year, but I was not doing that much from the time I turned 30 so I am not sure if it is just because I started doing a lot more workouts. I can't remember how long it used to take me to recover when I was 25. I know back then I could not work out for a year and decide to jog 2 miles and lift weights and do it, now it have to work up to it. A friend of mine does competitive mountain biking and he noticed a drop in stamina and speed around age 38. On the other hand he knows guys in their 50's who can still out race guys who are 25-35. Mind vs Body, determination, work slow with your body to work up to it and avoid injury.

Bummer on the elbow, I have just got over a case of that same pain and I got it building a garage not working out, which was not cool. Took longer to go away than I thought it should have. Anyway good to see the posts and keep up the good work.

Hey man welcome on the board! I definitely notice a slower recovery. Though I think that is partly due to the demands of everyday life. I didn't have much stress in my life when I was 25. Now I have a job, a morgage, a kid(and one on the way), a wife, a house that need maintenance etc etc.

But I definitely think one can still get strong you just have to train a bit smarter, be focused, have clear goals and have patience. Good luck on your journey.

Was that guy for real. Bumping to hard. Get a life haha

Good lifting bro! Very good. Good form also man. Muscle memory's kicking in! :-)

Looking forward to train together dude. Any news on our date?

Yeah what a bozo haha. And thanks man! I actually think my form is much better now than way back when. I didn't pay to much attention to that back then.

I will email you on the date.

Damn i wish i was in the netherlands. I'd love to go on a lifting date with you two no homo

Damn i wish i was in the netherlands. I'd love to go on a lifting date with you two no homo

Hey if you ever find yourself in the netherlands... You're more than welcome to come and lift.

• Like 1

Hey if you ever find yourself in the netherlands... You're more than welcome to come and lift.

^That. Hell, we might even buy you a frikandel speciaal. :grin:

Thanks for the info and the luck. All those things add stress that is for sure. I don't have any kids but way more to take care of then back then, I hear ya. Congrats on the kid on the way btw!

Sorry to hear about the set backs you have been having. I think that change away from fixed goals was a good choice. I have found out that the specific pain I was feeling has a name, bicep tendonitis felt at base of bicep at inside of elbow. There are different levels of injury, I had just inflamed it from overuse at an odd angle hammering on a garage for 2 days right after a grip contest. Research said that is the main cause and is most found in more dominate arm and in guys over 35. Other cause is sudden heavy stress, like catching something heavier than you can handle or loading weight too fast. I assume it was a combo of factors for me: Rushing to gain strength before the contest after not working out really for the last 7 years, dominate arm with most wear over time, age, overuse, ect. Bad part is it does cause degradation and will happen more often until a chronic condition if not taken care of, can also lead to a tear from the bone. Doc info I got was to rest from all heavy work, do high rep light weight work twice a day, everyday for along time....weeks...if bad enough, 5-6 months. Then work up SLOW to build strength back to normal over the next 4-5 months. Bummer to take so long but it can prevent future injury if done right and if you are not to injured/degraded. This may not be what you have but it lines up with all those other arm tendon injuries and rehabs like some of the guys said before. I took 3 weeks off and thought I was good then picked up a package of chicken a few days ago and felt a twinge in my arm, so slow is the key. I have been doing the rehab and it seems to be working for me but too soon to know. Gonna start heavier work this week and we shall see. Good luck.

Training sunday morning 25-5

Due to planning difficulties this week I wound up doing this workout on sunday morning 10:00.

Not my favorite part of the day to be lifting.

Bench press speed

3x70kg/3x70kg/3x70kg/3x70kg/ 3x80kg/ 3x80kg

I'm now back to gripping the bar at normal width. The twitch in my shoulder is still there but seems to be al little bit worse with the narrower grip I've been using for the past year to save my shoulder. So back to normal width.

Overhead press strict speed

3x50kg / 3x50kg/ 3x50kg/ 3x50kg/ 3x60kg/ 3x60kg

Felt good. No twitch in my shoulder at all with this!?

Hoist machine press neutral grip

4x100kg/ 4x113kg/ 4x127kg/ 4x127kg/ 4x127kg

In contrast to most machine presses the weights I can use on this one are fairly close to my benchpress, only 10-15kg more.

T-bar row V-bar

5x100kg/ 5x110kg/ 5x120kg

Lat pully front

10x75kg/ 10x85kg/ 10x95kg

Just a couple of light sets to test if this could be a good idea.

Grippers TNS

Right 22x #1/ 10x #1.5

Left 20x #1/ 8x #1.5

Since my arm is feeling a bit better I thought i'd throw in a couple of gripper sets. Not necessarily a good idea. ...and these where actually the maximum amount of reps I could do! I'm definitely not one of those guys that retains his gripper strenght if I'm not training grippers at least once a week.

Standing finger curls front

10x80kg/ 10x85kg/ 10x85kg/ 10x85kg/ 10x85kg

Some back and light front levering

Barbell wrist curls

15x38kg/ 12x43kg/ 9x48kg/ 8x48kg

Training wednesday 28-5

DO deadlift speed

3x100kg/ 2x120kg/ 2x120kg/ 2x130kg/ 2x130kg/ 2x140kg/ 2x140kg/ 2x150kg/ 2x150kg

Reverse barbell lunge

6x60kg/ 6x70kg/ 6x80kg/ 6x85kg

Romanian deadlift

6x110kg /6x130kg/ 6x140kg/ 6x145kg

Hamstrings completely fried after lunges and romanians.

Dumbbell lift fatgripz extreme

1x53kg/ 1x54kg/ 1x55kg

Got 54 and 55kg completely up, but couldn't control the weight on the way down. Those extremes are just really big for my average size hands. Need stronger thumbs!

Vertical bar 5cm

Tried a couple of max attempt and failed miserably. Nothing left in my hands.

Vulcan with thumbscrews key pinch

Couple of 8 rep sets.

Seated calf press

15x75kg/ 15x85kg/ 15x80kg/ 15x80kg

Plate curl strict

8x10kg(fullsize olympic plate)/ 4x15kg (small but fat olympic plate) / 4x15kg (small but fat olympic plate)

Ab wheel roll outs from knees 'till forehead touches floor

4x15

Training saturday 31-5

Bench press

2x110kg/ 2x120kg/ 1x125kg/ 1x130kg (tiny bit of help from spotter)

Shoulder hurts

Overhead press

1x70kg/ 1x80kg/ -x85kg/ 1x80kg/ 1x80kg/ 1x80kg/ 12x60kg

Shoulder hurts a bit.

Dip

10x BW+30kg/ 10x BW+30kg/ 9x30kg

Hadn't done these in a while. Felt a bit awkward.

Dumbbell rows

10x53kg/ 10x58kg/ 10x60kg/ 10x60kg/ 10x60kg

These still rock!

Standing finger curls palms facing legs

6x90kg/ 6x90kg/ 5x90kg

Wrist curls

5x53kg/ 5x56kg/ 5x56kg

Going well. Best I've done.

Some levering front and back

Grippers reverse 3 finger closes

3x10x #trainer

Just for the feel

Mounted wristroller 45mm clear coated steel

100cm x50kg/ 100cm x65kg/ 100cm x75kgPR!

First goal I set for myself on the wristroller has been reached! Next goal is 90kg/ 200lbs.

Persuaded a guy from the gym to do these with me. He had a hard time getting 40kg up, but he loved it!

THE PLAN

The plan I'm currently following seems to be working for deadlifts, but not so much for pressing. Of course the irritation in my shoulder doesn't help the pressing either. I really hope my therapist can help me get rid of it soon.

My tennis elbow stays the same. Of course this is due to the fact that I'm just doing way too much :whacked. I'm not doing any max attempts on any grip stuff for the next couple of weeks, just high/low reps.

The solution sounds simple to your complaints but it ain't that easy in reallife....rest. Since last therapy session with my chiro I also have a little nagging feeling in my right shoulder. It's that period again, pressing hurts on the shoulder, pulling on the lowerarm, blah blah

Bionic arms anyone? :-)

Apart from that, your numbers are still pretty good man. It shows that you've done this kind of work in the past.

Edited by Geralt

• 2 weeks later...

Had a very busy week. Took the week off to build a deck to my house. Unfortunately murphys law applied so I'm only half done. So now I will have to find the time to finish it in the evenings and weekends.

Had only one training this week, because I decide to skip the pressing this week. To give my shoulder some rest. Will do a some pressing this friday to see how it goes. otherwise some more rest I guess. :angry:

Training wednesday 4-6

DO deadlift

2x140kg/ 2x160kg/ 2x180kg/ 2x190kg/ 1x195kg/ 1x200kg

Was sort of hoping to get 2x200 this time, but that was a little too optimistic lol. 2x190 was hard.

Romanian deadlift

10x100kg/ 10x120kg/ 10x130kg/ 7x140kg

Dumbbell lunges

10x28kg/ 10x32kg/ 10x36kg/ 8x40kg

The 8x40 was mainly due to a lack of stamina. I was just out of breath lol.

10x75kg/ 10x85kg/ 10x90kg/ 10x90kg

Thumb screw pinches

5x 4 reps sets.

Barbell wrist curl

10x38kg/ 6x48kg/ 6x53kg/ 12x43kg

Reverse gripper 3 finger closes

3x10x trainer

It's nice to at least do something with a gripper. Once I can do grippers seriously again I want to incorporate reverse closes more often.

Training monday 9-6

DO Deadlift speed

2x110kg/ 2x110kg/ 2x120kg/ 2x120kg/ 2x130kg/ 2x130kg/ 2x130kg/ 2x130kg

Romanian deadlift

6x120kg/ 6x130kg/ 6x140kg/ 5x150kgPR

Reverse barbell lunge

6x60kg/ 6x70kg/ 6x80kg/ 6x90kgPR

Even with just 6 reps these gas me out.

Standing finger curls, hands in front palms facing legs

20x70kg/ 12x80kg/ 12x80kg/ 12x85kg

Incline front raise snatch grip

Couple of sets. I do these for shoulder rehab. Just lie face down with your chest on an incline bench than grab a barbell with a really wide grip and do front raises.

Thumb screw pinches

7x 5rep set

15x75kg/ 15x85kg/ 13x90kg/ 11x95kg

Pretty silly to have a calf press goal, but it would be fun if I could do the whole stack with one leg (130kg). I feel these do help stabilize my knees. Haven't had any knee problems for two? months now.

Seated triceps dumbbell extensions one hand

10x14kg/ 10x16kg/ 8x18kg/ 15x14kg

Had not done any true tricep exercise in ages. So just because I felt like it.

Reverse gripper 3 finger closes

right: 15x trainer/ 4x #1/ 6x #1/ 6x #1

left: 15x trainer/ 3x #1/ 3x #1/ 5x #1

Very hard to set these so they feel comfortable.

Mounted 45mm wristroller

4x 100cmx40kg/ 2x 100cmx60kg

Completely fried!

Good stuff going on. Ah, the building has commenced. Oh well. I mean, good to have something on your hands lol. Hope you can finish it soon.

I think I am going to rest up as far as grip goes until our meet the 21th. Gives me a good 10 days again to recover. Will be good. Maybe I can attempt some CCS's than when I feel froggy.

Good stuff going on. Ah, the building has commenced. Oh well. I mean, good to have something on your hands lol. Hope you can finish it soon.

I think I am going to rest up as far as grip goes until our meet the 21th. Gives me a good 10 days again to recover. Will be good. Maybe I can attempt some CCS's than when I feel froggy.

I might just do the same. Right now my forearms feel like a collection of all kinds of small aches and pains.

Total off day.

Which was to expexted. I've had like 4 hours of sleep last night and drank a lot alcohol the night before(which I never ever do), because we had a very very much delayed christmas dinner party from work. Also my shoulder is still bothering me and my elbows too.

Training 13-6

Strict overhead press

20x 5x60kg

Yep 20 sets. Wanted to do some easy sets with 60kg. I could probably do 12 reps if I went all out. As I went along and my shoulder din't hurt so I started wondering if I could make it to a 100reps. And I did. Could've gotten much more. The sets actually became easier after the tenth set or so.

Dumbbel rows

6x 5x63kg

All fairly easy sets

Dumbell back raises

Some shoulder rehab 3x20reps

Incline front barbell raises

More rehab

Some very light bicep work - 20 rep sets

I haven't done any serious direct bicep work in two? years, because it always hurts my elbows. I feel it might be becoming a weak link. I'm going to try to do some high rep stuff for the next couple of weeks, just flooding the biceps with blood mainly.

No grip work 'till next saturday when I'm meeting up with Geralt from Gripboard. Should be fun.

• Like 1

Another off day. Too much stress lately, too much to do, too little time to do it.

Training 17-6

Do deficit deadlift (feet on 5cm block)

2x150kg/ 2x170kg/ 1x180kg/ 1x190kg

Hands sweaty, forgot to bring chalk, grip didn't feel secure, didn't dare go any heavier. Weight felt heavy too.

Goodmornings

10x70kg/ 10x70kg/ 10x70kg/ 10x70kg/ 10x75kg

Barbell step ups (on 40cm block)

10x70kg/ 10x75kg/ 10x80kg/ 10x85kg

Incline front raises for shoulder rehab

Ab wheel roll outs 'till forehead touches floor

12x/ 12x +5kg/ 12x +5kg/ 10x (3 sec. pause at full extension)/ 10x (3 sec. pause at full extension)

Not much interesting going on. No gripwork 'till saturday. Hopefully I will be a bit better rested by then.

Another off day. Too much stress lately, too much to do, too little time to do it.

Training 17-6

Do deficit deadlift (feet on 5cm block)

2x150kg/ 2x170kg/ 1x180kg/ 1x190kg

Hands sweaty, forgot to bring chalk, grip didn't feel secure, didn't dare go any heavier. Weight felt heavy too.

Goodmornings

10x70kg/ 10x70kg/ 10x70kg/ 10x70kg/ 10x75kg

Barbell step ups (on 40cm block)

10x70kg/ 10x75kg/ 10x80kg/ 10x85kg

Incline front raises for shoulder rehab

Ab wheel roll outs 'till forehead touches floor

12x/ 12x +5kg/ 12x +5kg/ 10x (3 sec. pause at full extension)/ 10x (3 sec. pause at full extension)

Not much interesting going on. No gripwork 'till saturday. Hopefully I will be a bit better rested by then.

190 kg deadlift is still pretty decent lol, if you are more rested you make me feel puny haha

That said, I have done some 'light' squatting but more reps and have sore legs now.

Hey in the worst case scenario we will have a 'blind leading the blind' training session so we WILL get sore somehow lol

My hands feel good now, need to resist however. That said, it's just a busy period. You will get over it. Stressfully trying to cram trainingsessions in, mostly leads to frustration only.

Had a really fun meet up with Geralt van Gb last saturday!

We did a strenght and grip session together and talked al lot. Full report on Geralt log: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=35599&page=39

However I'm a bit lacking in motivation at the moment. Seem to be developing yet another injury and it's just so freaking frustrating. Last time I did an all out wristroller set (monday 9-6) I pulled something on the inside of my elbow. At Geralt's I felt it too on the wristroller so I held back a little bit. But yesterday I felt in with deadlifting too, which scares me. This could be a predecessor of a golfers elbow. I've had that before at it felt similar. Back than I didn't know what it was so I just kep on truckin' untill it was so severe that I couldn't even open a door without pain anymore. Took me 1,5 years to completely get rid of it. Not going to do any gripwork for two weeks except for heavy eccentric dumbbell wristcurls. Hopefully I will be able to get rid of it before it gets more serious. Any advice on progressing in gripstrenght without getting injured would be greatly appreciated. However I see a lot of people on the board doing stuff that would get me injured within a minute, so I guess my tendons are just shitty.

DO deficit deadlift from 5cm block

Speedwork 10x 2x120kg

Goodmornings

5x70kg/ 5x75kg/ 5x80kg/ 5x85kg/ 5x90kg

Leg press horizontal

20x197kg/ 15x226kg/ 10x245kg(whole stack)/ 10x 269kg (stack +dumbells)

Tried light Rolling thunder and pinching

Didn't feel good.

Eccentric dumbbell wristcurls

These have proven in the past to be effective against golfers elbow.