Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

Yesterday's session wasn't the best for grip but today everything I pulled felt easy. First 200kg / 440 lbs lift with my trapbar and it felt perfectly fine!

Problem: I went up to 205 kg but pulled wrong / not concentrated and hurt my back. I literally had to crawl away. Tomorrow fortunately the physical therapist can see me because the day after we will be leaving for vacation. Bummer after a great pr. Couldn't train any further after this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT33iZISnJ8&feature=youtu.be

Dont take your back to snap city man, you'll end up like me!

Totally fubar-ed in my Lower back and have been for like 4 years now.

Some days i have to roll out of bed

Dont take your back to snap city man, you'll end up like me!

Totally fubar-ed in my Lower back and have been for like 4 years now.

Some days i have to roll out of bed

That sounds pretty serious dude. I just know that some chiropractic techniques have helped for me. Did you ever see a doctor or therapist for this? I don't think massage alone works for these lower back problems, it's manipulating discs or the back in general that mostly helps. Although again, in my case.

Stupid thing is the weight went up very easy. But as Jason Steeves commented to me, I just jerked the weight to hard in the beginning. I think that's what did the trick when I took the weight further up.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Yesterday's session wasn't the best for grip but today everything I pulled felt easy. First 200kg / 440 lbs lift with my trapbar and it felt perfectly fine!

Problem: I went up to 205 kg but pulled wrong / not concentrated and hurt my back. I literally had to crawl away. Tomorrow fortunately the physical therapist can see me because the day after we will be leaving for vacation. Bummer after a great pr. Couldn't train any further after this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT33iZISnJ8&feature=youtu.be

Congrats on the pr dude. But be carefull. Technique before weight!

Good luck! And have a nice holiday.

• Like 1

Short write up because of Iphone.

On vacation and nice small Technogym equipment on the camping. Want to keep strength up a bit. Machines in between grippers. Back is feeling better now.

After warming up:

Im#3 (144) x 1 mms;

Im#3 (153) x 1 mms;

BBE (169) x 1 mms close and tried to overcrush;

BBE (169) x 1 mms slight miss because of too wide set;

Im#3 (153) 1 x 3 mms reps;

Im#3 (144) 1 x 3 mms reps;

Im#3 (153) 2 x 1 deep set and holds;

Filed Im#2.5 1 x TNS;

Same 2.5 several CCS sets.

Lefty PR: solid #3 (144 from Chez) mms close.

• Like 2

Yesterday evening I have done possibly my last grippersession before my certification attempt september 6th. I'm still on vacation but since I had taken my grippers with me I decided to do a good session now and than taking it easy. Heavy work two weeks before the attempt won't aid in additional strength. So at most I will be doing one CCS session with only very light grippers somewhere end of this week.

If the cert goes well, I'm golden, if it doesn't work out I am going to ditch the grippers for a little while and focus on thickbar and general handstrength for a while. Every experience is a learning experience for me. It only makes me more motivated. I wanted to do a lot of other stuff lately but just didn't do it because it wouldn't have aided given the short timeframe I commited myself to go for the cert.

Anyway.

Slowly warming up, taking my time. What I have learned through time now is that I warm up very slowly, like a dieseltruck.

Throughout the evening I did grippers while having a beer in the tent. Hey it's still vacation.

Working:

IM3 @ 141 1 x 1 MMS;

IM3 @ 149 1 x 1 MMS;

IM3 @ 153 1 x 1 MMS;

Ghp7@ 155 (much harder than the 153 no.3) 1 x 1 MMS;

BBE @ 169 1 x 1 set to wide, missed by a hair;

2 x 1 MMS closed (wife checked closing, still have to put a lot of effort in this one, have been on this plateau much too long)

IM3 @ 153 1 x 2 wide set with overcrush last rep;

IM3 (unrated) 2 x 1 wider set than parallel with overcrush and hold;

IM3 (141) 1 x 3 reps with overcrush;

Gettting fatigued at this point.

BBGM @ 137 1 x 5 MMS with overcrush;

Tried for filed IM2.5 TNS work but crush was gone. Lighter overcrush TNS work with IM2 and called it a day.

Lefty solid IM3 closes @ 141.

Status qua in physical aspect: my right arm is still nagging with some kind of nerve entrapment when doing curls so that's irritating and my right shoulder is still playing up when doing pressing work. Got to get rid of that first before starting my new training approach after certing attempt.

• Like 4

I wish you all the best for your ceritification. I am trying to get there too.

• Like 2

Thnx Jörg! Doing my best and good luck on your quest also. It's a matter of time for both of us.

• Like 2

Not doing much really at this point. I'll do some light BW movements here and there to keep the blood flowing but it's mainly resting up for the hands.

I hope I can explode into the attempts next Saturday. I find this the most difficult thing to warm up when being somewhere else. I'll just do some gripper closes in the car on the way to my referee.

I have done a lot of thinking on what I want to do and how I want to incorporate training in daily life and focus on a healthy body with grip being the main focus.

I'll be glad when I can starting training again with full intensity. Because of light injuries, vacation and the coming certification attempt I haven't done much for other training. Regardless outcome I want to close my Ghp8 @176 soon and focus on solid #3.5 closes.

I am going to train with a new approach after my 37th birthday (next Saturday also), which, in beginning, will exclude grippers. It will be good for me.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

I find this the most difficult thing to warm up when being somewhere else. I'll just do some gripper closes in the car on the way to my referee.

Do body weight squats and push ups once you get there and save the warm up gripper closes for when you get there also in between the squats and push ups. You shouldn't just do gripper closes in the car when you are not focused. You have to do whatever it takes to get ready and make the most out of your attempts. Your referee will understand. I warmed up for both my #3 and red nail certifications. Its better to do everything you can then to have regrets.

• Like 2

I never do a general warm up before gripper training. Perhaps I should try this. Take your time to warm up Gerald! Do what you always do.

I never do a general warm up before gripper training. Perhaps I should try this. Take your time to warm up Gerald! Do what you always do.

Try squats during grippers and you will immediately get a PR.

I will trey this Chez as soon my foot is healed. Thanks!

Thnx guys, funny thing is that I honestly haven't noticed a BIG difference when doing squats and grippers and grippers only. I have had good sessions with and without them. My experience is that when I can't get my CNS fired, those days happen of course, I can stand on my head but it will not happen that day. Squats or no squats.

I had days where I picked up my BBE and closed it solid while I was working at home, and had days where I went well rested into a training, did squats progressively, progressed with grippers in warming up but still sucked that day. I still have a hard time to be consistent in progress and start to believe that I should use principles of Biofeedback much more into my training.

I will just make the best of it for my certification. But just jumping into the first close without any warming up is a no go for me.

Yesterday 2 x 3 CCS with Vulcan gold spring, level 5 (2-1), just enough to feel some resistance. As explosive as possible.

Light workout today:

Today 4 x 10 push ups with pushup stands. Very slow descend, explosive up.

Planks, 5 x 1 minute.

Rubber band rotator cuff work.

Just enough for some bloodflow.

Edited by Geralt

Yesterday 2 x 3 CCS with Vulcan gold spring, level 5 (2-1), just enough to feel some resistance. As explosive as possible.

Light workout today:

Today 4 x 10 push ups with pushup stands. Very slow descend, explosive up.

Planks, 5 x 1 minute.

Rubber band rotator cuff work.

Just enough for some bloodflow.

Good luck with the #3 certification !!! Can't wait result !

• Like 1

And what would be better to celebrate your Birthday ! :sorcerer:

Thanks Joefrey. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be today. I missed by a hair. I made a write up on the main board .

You'll get it eventually!

• Like 1

That is so. I was so freakin close man. Bummer. Dusting off and getting up. You watch!

That is so. I was so freakin close man. Bummer. Dusting off and getting up. You watch!
  • Like 1

One word for you my friend...........................REVENGE!

• Like 1

Yes man. Bob (Artee) made great pics. I'll give you a call soon. This log will make a restart I guess. I hope with good stuff coming.

• Like 1