Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

Thanks! Yes, no probs, it looks closer to the wall than it actually is. Also the supports are longer than they appear to be. In fact, the whole thing is an optical illusion. Hahaha

No starting of new program, I give up for this week. Too much social stuff going on these days. Sometimes I feel like the only one in my surroundings who is willing to actually give things up in order to train.

So just put some last work in for this year.

Fumbling around with new squatcage, me likey!

Squats:

50kg 1 x 10;

70kg 1 x 10;

95kg 1 x 5;

100kg 1 x3;

120kg 2 x 2;

125kg 2 x 2;

110kg 1 x 5.

Close grip chin ups 1 x 8, 3 x 5.

Nice setup Geralt! It's going to be easy get stronger when you can just go to your garage to workout!

• Like 1

Thank you guys! Also bought a new IM#3 yesterday, RGC142 so I can rep this thing so hard the sparkles will fly off. Perhaps not though but it will be a nice gripper between my 137bbgm and 149 #3. 😊

21 closes 149lbs IM#3 in 15 sets and 20 closes from 25mm with 265lbs with plateloader in 6 sets. Done in less than 2 hours workset. Good quality work for first 2015 trainingsession.

Added 5 x 5 closegrip BW chinups, thumbwork and Expand your hand bands.

Starting a new 531 cycle for squats. Keeping workouts short and trying to divide my recovery as best as I can for keeping fresh for grippers in the weekend.

Backsquat:

Calculated 1rm @150kg/330lbs, so working in percentages of 90% of this weight.

50kg/110lbs 1 x 10;

70kg/154lbs 1 x 10;

90kg/198lbs 1 x 5 (65%)

Should have done 75% next set, but accidentally calculated 85% instead :huh: , so did the last set twice. Sorry Jim W. :flowers:

115kg/253lbs 2 x 5 (85%);

100kg/220lbs 1 x 10.

I may not call it JW531 anymore when I add my own twist to the program like the last set, but the base stays the same.

Legs feel pumped.

BW chinups 5 x 5.

Next workout shoulderpress and tri's.

Edited by Geralt

Shoulders tonight, very glad with my squatrack, makes training setup so much better.

Babyweights still perhaps, but I am doing them painfree now....that's a big improvement!

Band stretches in different variations;

Strict seated press (no back support);

bar 1 x 10

25kg 1 x 10

30kg 1 x 8

50kg 1 x 5

55kg 1 x 3

50kg 4 x 5

35kg 1 x 10

Skullcrushers till failure.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Nice, Geralt. Overhead presses with no back support are very difficult!

• Like 1

Nice work with the seated presses!

I'm adding these next week.

Thanks guys, although I really think that my shoulderstrength sucks bigtime. I think shoulders are the musclegroup that I have neglected the most since I started training and because of poor posture it's most prone to injuries. My right shoulder bothered me a lot but it is getting better now. With all the stretching I am starting pre-fatigued perhaps but it makes for good warmed up muscles and tendons in that area. When pressing I really need to focus on retracting my shoulders in my 'backpockets'.

I can't stand when pressing since I am too tall / ceiling is too low, one of the two :) , so I now perform with the bar resting in my squatcage at chestlevel so that I don't need to rack/unrack. Or I do Z-presses. Both make for harder exercises, but I think when getting stronger in these, performing them standing will be much easier. Seated pressing causes more pressure on my lower back by the way.

experience with this?

Nice work with the seated presses!

I'm adding these next week.

Thanks guys, although I really think that my shoulderstrength sucks bigtime. I think shoulders are the musclegroup that I have neglected the most since I started training and because of poor posture it's most prone to injuries. My right shoulder bothered me a lot but it is getting better now. With all the stretching I am starting pre-fatigued perhaps but it makes for good warmed up muscles and tendons in that area. When pressing I really need to focus on retracting my shoulders in my 'backpockets'.

I can't stand when pressing since I am too tall / ceiling is too low, one of the two :) , so I now perform with the bar resting in my squatcage at chestlevel so that I don't need to rack/unrack. Or I do Z-presses. Both make for harder exercises, but I think when getting stronger in these, performing them standing will be much easier. Seated pressing causes more pressure on my lower back by the way.

experience with this?

If your posture is poor, I would definitely focus a lot on doing exercises for the posterior head of your delt....dumbbell rows with your elbows flared out, maybe some band pulls to the face, and rear dumbbell flies while on an incline bench. The overhead presses will hit the shoulder very hard but focus mainly on the anterior head which doesn't help your posture issue. They will however help strengthen your rotator cuffs. My right shoulder has been feeling its greatest now that I'm focusing on heavy overhead presses, but I still do a lot of rear delt work to keep things balanced.

For me personally, the standing presses are much harder on my back than seated presses, so I can't offer any real solid advice there. BUT, what may be a perfect solution for you is to do your overhead presses seated, but on a steep incline instead of completely upright at a 90 degree angle. You'll engage the chest more so it won't be brutally hard on the joint in your shoulders, and you'll also be laying back a little, so your lumbar muscles will be able to relax a little bit.

When warming up I felt good enough to set the target for today with grippers, 30 closes with IM#3.

For this volume I could have better done work with a slightly lower rated gripper, but I still didn't receive my 142 #3 today which I had hoped,

but since I am working with this one now for two weeks already I had to finish this cycle with the same gripper.

After 15 sets I decided to go for the 20 sets, thus got 30 closes. Last few were very tough in setting and very intense!

Warming up with filed IM#1, filed IM#2, filed BBGM (137).

IM#3 (149lbs) 1 x 3, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2, and 14 x 1 x 1 = 30.

All MMS, some wider, last singles of course deeper sets. 5 minutes rest in between.

IM rubber bands, lots of sets for the extensors.

Tough one today but I glad I got it. Had no desire to do some work with my plateloader. Wouldn't be beneficial.

• Like 1

When warming up I felt good enough to set the target for today with grippers, 30 closes with IM#3.

For this volume I could have better done work with a slightly lower rated gripper, but I still didn't receive my 142 #3 today which I had hoped,

but since I am working with this one now for two weeks already I had to finish this cycle with the same gripper.

After 15 sets I decided to go for the 20 sets, thus got 30 closes. Last few were very tough in setting and very intense!

All MMS, some wider, last singles of course deeper sets. 5 minutes rest in between.

Tough one today but I glad I got it. Had no desire to do some work with my plateloader. Wouldn't be beneficial.

30 closes with the IM#3...wow! Keep it up

• Like 1

30 closes with the IM#3...wow! Keep it up

Tough workout my friend ! Keep up this hard work !!

• Like 1

Thnx guys, it's really mental after 10 - 15 sets. Specially the skin in the palm that is protesting. Tried some sportstape a while ago but it doesn't work right and the hands just need to toughen up. Also setting is getting difficult than and by then it is very apparent how important setting is.

Most difficult thing is to know when to put in an additional week off for deload.

Wrap up, last three weeks I got better rep pr's per session. From 18 to 30 last session. And the session where I got 18 I could never gotten that higher rep count so I did something good. When i get my 142lbs #3 i will start with this one but than with true 20mm blocksets again. Want to hit at least 10 reps 20mm blockset with that one.

Before work morning workout

Squat:

50kg 1 x 10;

70kg 1 x 8;

95kg 1 x 5;

110kg 1 x 3;

122kg (268lbs) 2 x 3;

110kg 1 x 5.

Seated shoulderpress (no backsupport), made some adjustments, noticed I pushed the bar much to far forward, instead of up.

Corrected this and pressing felt more solid. Starting to feel stronger now.

Band stretches for warming up, also did this before squats:

Working: 3 x 3 @115lbs (felt relatively easy)

2 x 10 @ 77 lbs.

Band pulls for rotatorcuffs.

Just staying consistent with this one, shoulder health is much more important for me now than adding weight. Last mentioned will also build up in the long run.

• Like 1

After yesterday's squatsession my legs feel pretty sore. I was looking through my log and I see that I have been squatting for many weeks now, although only once per week. But I notice that weights are starting to feel heavier.

For grippers I have done a lot of maxing out and volume and my body just doesn't work with weeks. When I would do grippers this Saturday I would feel fresh enough to put in work but since I am working with #3's now an extra week

rest will do me good. Volume is killing on the arms if I don't watch it. I notice little nags now and than.

So logging out from here for this week and next week. Will not do me harm and I'm past the neurotic 'few days rest will make regression' thing :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Had a terrible week, we had burglars in our house this week in broad daylight. Ravaged through our house and even stole the little kids' piggybanks. Made a lot of impact on me and my family. Mostly frustration and anger now in me. They took my a lot of emotional stuff like my wedding ring which I forgot to put on that day and most of my wife's jewelry. Sucks bigtime. So. Completely off track last days and went through some emotional rollar coasters. Decided to try grippers again today. Had two weeks of rest but I feel that effect was a bit gone because of some bad nights we had. Also sickness now with one of the kiddos.

IM#1 1 x 5 mms;

IM#2 1 x 5 mms;

IM#2.5 1 x 3 mms;

IM#3 1 x 1 20mm blockset;

BBE 3 x 1 20mm blockset, little bit miss, close, close/miss.

IM#3 5 sets, 3/2/2/1/1 20 mm blockset;

Some other stuff but didn't feel it exactly. Had to start somewhere again I guess.

Next.

Had a terrible week, we had burglars in our house this week in broad daylight. Ravaged through our house and even stole the little kids' piggybanks. Made a lot of impact on me and my family. Mostly frustration and anger now in me. They took my a lot of emotional stuff like my wedding ring which I forgot to put on that day and most of my wife's jewelry. Sucks bigtime. So. Completely off track last days and went through some emotional rollar coasters. Decided to try grippers again today. Had two weeks of rest but I feel that effect was a bit gone because of some bad nights we had. Also sickness now with one of the kiddos.

IM#1 1 x 5 mms;

IM#2 1 x 5 mms;

IM#2.5 1 x 3 mms;

Some other stuff but didn't feel it exactly. Had to start somewhere again I guess.

Next.

Sorry to hear of your losses...sometimes bad things happen in life. Wish you strength and good will for your family

IM#1 1 x 5 mms;

IM#2 1 x 5 mms;

IM#2.5 1 x 3 mms;

Next.

I'm very sorry about this Geralt. I'm glad everyone is ok though.

• Like 2

IM#1 1 x 5 mms;

IM#2 1 x 5 mms;

IM#2.5 1 x 3 mms;

Next.

Man that sucks bigtime! Was actually wondering if anything happened because you hadn't updated your log in a while. Wish you and your family all te best. Rough times.

• Like 1

Thnx guys. Well, grippers are just things. I noticed now that insurance was very helpful. It's the inherited jewelry, my weddingring etc. that will never come back.

I have a lot of trouble with that. Hope you guys will never deal with this. I mostly feel for my dog who was in the house in the very room where they entered our house. God knows what they would have done to him if he had attacked or whatever. Bastards.

I'm sorry to hear that Gerald. I was already wondering why you did not post for so long. Heads up!

• Like 1