Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

thank you man. Well, I had planned a two week resting period Jörg, but last week wasn't much resting :angry2::( Anyway....time to get back into the saddle.

First training again after two weeks off. Last week cost me a lot of energy.
Not feeling as well as I had hoped. That's life. Planned an 'easing in' training but initially couldn't get fired up.

Got really angry during the first workset and I ended with 286.5 lbs/130kg. Could have been higher but 100kg x 10 and 110kg x 5 was a bit too much the sets before.

I am adjusting my workload and decreasing 1rm to 140kg. I'm not in a hurry.

Yesterday evening:

Neutral grip chin ups:

bw 227 lbs 4 x 5; 3 x 2;

2 x 10 with feet support on barbell placed on low bars squatrack.

Barbell rows, very strict, fast up, slow down 4 x 10 @ 60kg.

Last weeks I lost my gripmotivation a bit. A bit Too much other stuff going on. I hate that when people steal my mojo.

Did nothing terrible bad or so but I need to better than this.

BBE strapholds with 0,5kg;

Ghp7 timed holds;

Some #3 stuff. Not much new.

Barbell rack pulls with FG's Extreme @105, 100 and 70kg plus static contractions with these weights.

I'm sorry to hear about the burglars, Geralt. Karma is a bit** in this case I hope!

30 closes with IM3.. Much respect!

I'm sorry to hear about the burglars, Geralt. Karma is a bit** in this case I hope!

Thnx brother.

This morning started the week with squats.

I have to be honest, I started off my 531 work with to much weight. I thought I could easily get 150kg within a few weeks for the backsquat after an easy 130kg first try end of last year.

I could have grinded out 140kg back than but starting to work with percentages of 150kg was to much I guess.

I have done a lot of volume squats per session but I notice strength is decreasing little by little. Can be that this is also because I had some energy sapping things going on but my body is signalling I shouldn't go heavier.

So. In short: backing down weights, easy as that. Started off with 531 with a decreased 1rm and see where I get with this.

Got some nice squats in however and chinups. Maybe a light pressing session this week but basically I am taking it easy rest of the week. Trying to get some good sleep and food in. End of the week somewhere grippers, volume again with my #3.

Thnx brother.

This morning started the week with squats.

I have to be honest, I started off my 531 work with to much weight. I thought I could easily get 150kg within a few weeks for the backsquat after an easy 130kg first try end of last year.

I could have grinded out 140kg back than but starting to work with percentages of 150kg was to much I guess.

I have done a lot of volume squats per session but I notice strength is decreasing little by little. Can be that this is also because I had some energy sapping things going on but my body is signalling I shouldn't go heavier.

So. In short: backing down weights, easy as that. Started off with 531 with a decreased 1rm and see where I get with this.

Got some nice squats in however and chinups. Maybe a light pressing session this week but basically I am taking it easy rest of the week. Trying to get some good sleep and food in. End of the week somewhere grippers, volume again with my #3.

Hey Geralt, also make sure you're drinking lots and lots of water. Even one day of not drinking as much as I should saps all my strength and leaves me feeling like crap.

Never thought of that one. I doubt that it played me parts here but yes, I know I don't drink enough sometimes, specially when at work. Good one.

• Like 1

Wednesday February 4th:

Practised squats, coming out of the hole and light shoulderwork.

Today:

After warmup:

IM#3 @153lbs managed to squeeze out 5 doubles with 20mm blockset; not going for volume.

Secret CCS practise method, need to do this for a while to see whether or not it works. Sure as hell kills gripperwork after that;

Thickbar (homemade from scaffoldingbar around regular barbell 2" thick) holds, lifted from supports in squatrack, so I could focus on holds and not make it some sort of DL session. Build up to 140kg / 308lbs, 150kg / 330 lbs slipped just before lockout.

mondaymorning workout before work, felt good. I want to see if I can get a little bit more mass. Eating will be the biggest challenge I think lol

Alternating (for me heavy) trapbar DL and Squats every other week. Haven't done trapbar in quite a while. So was curious where I was at.

After warming up sets:

TB DL: 185kg x 5 felt easy!

160kg x 10 also felt good.

Next workout I will start from deficit, although I have smaller diameter plates than the standard 50mm ones.

Squatwork has definitely payed back.

Goodmornings 4 x 10 assistance;

Chinups 3 x 5/6 @ BW

2 x 10 with feet supported on bar in squatrack.

• Like 1

mondaymorning workout before work

Pffff I congratulate you on getting anything up at all. I couldn't.

Squatting seems to be paying off.

Didn't feel particularly strong or anything, but weights came up pretty easy today. I must say I try to sleep at least 7-8 hours per night bare minimum. I did 180kg pretty easily, but stopped because I wanted to go higher in weights. Than a smarter voice inside my head so 'don't do that' and I just went for some volume. I need to do a good workout next Monday for squats again. Wednesday a nice pushing session I hope. For me one or two good worksets for DL is more than enough.

I hope you will feel better and more energetic soon, it's difficult sometimes, I know. I must say that the new flexible workinghours approach for my job works good for me in that perspective. I take that freedom to put in my training before work on monday, thus doing the 'heaviest'' workout on the start of the day, and my 'long' grip workout in the weekends. Anything I get to do more = win

• Like 2

Yesterday grip.

Did a warmup but just after that we got unexpected visitors. Nice and all but hate that when amping up for training lol

After they left I had some trouble getting into it again. Just did training for me and Bob's MM1 cert, planned for March 1st.

Worksets with MMS work from IM#3 up to BBE.

Made a vid of some of the stuff but i am getting tired of YT copyright claims when someone on the background is doing so much as humming a U2 song from 1980. So i put it up on my FB.

Ended with 2" thickbar rackpulls. 130kg holds, 140 lift and 150kg got air for a few secs. Need to work on wristposition when pulling.

• Like 1

I had planned squats for altenating with DL but since I have the MM1 attempt end of next week I have done pulling today and will do squats next week. This way I keep my hands as fresh as possible.

Made a short one today since I have more stuff to do this morning...

Trapbar DL after warming up:

180kg/396lbs 1 x 2

190kg/418lbs 2 x 1

Light assistance work for the legs;

Several sets of chins, bodyweight and chins with weighted vest (10kg), suppersetted with bw triples.

• Like 1

Last grippertraining before the MM1 certification attempt. The gripper is on it's way, Artee (Bob), RoyZ (Roy) if he can make it, and me have planned the get together for Sunday March the 1st. at my place. I hope the gripper will be here on time, otherwise we will have a problem lol, but it should be here on time in theory. Bob will try and bring some of his blobs and his baby Inch also so it should be a lot of fun!

I had a light setback in January this year but I am coming back now with grippers. After the MM1 cert I will go further again with building up strength.

Didn't want to go overboard now with training and will do no crazy stuff before the cert. I want 3 good clear single closes. We'll see.

Made a video of today's practise for the cert. Hope everybody can see it, because there's music in the background. YT is not my favourite for posting vids anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVfbKCeTg2w&feature=youtu.be

• Like 1

Not feeling very energetic today, but also noticed in my log that this would be the fourth week of strengthwork, So I am taking a rest week (3 weeks on, one off). Next Sunday grip gettogether so probably best now to take it easy.

Not feeling very energetic today, but also noticed in my log that this would be the fourth week of strengthwork, So I am taking a rest week (3 weeks on, one off). Next Sunday grip gettogether so probably best now to take it easy.

Not that I should be giving you advice of any kind lol, but one tactic I employ before a competition is I take the week before the competition off from lifting, then like 2 days before the comp, I get a moderate leg workout in, like a few sets of relatively heavy squats, and lying leg curls. So I go into the competition with my hands fresh because I haven't worked them, but my CNS firing from the leg workout. Something to think about.

• Like 2

Thnx! Input appreciated Anthony. Yes, after a week the body tends to go in relax mode and it's hard to overcome that all of a sudden when max output is required.

• Like 1

Not that I should be giving you advice of any kind lol, but one tactic I employ before a competition is I take the week before the competition off from lifting, then like 2 days before the comp, I get a moderate leg workout in, like a few sets of relatively heavy squats, and lying leg curls. So I go into the competition with my hands fresh because I haven't worked them, but my CNS firing from the leg workout. Something to think about.

Great advice!

• Like 1

Well, had a great get together yesterday! Luckily enough the MM1 made it in time on Saturday, just when I had contacted the boys that the cert. wasn't going to happen since I wasn't expecting the gripper before Sunday anymore. Customs were delaying it. but everything turned out for the best.

RoyZ, Artee and I met at my house and we had a good afternoon. After enjoying some food we went into my garage. Bob had brought his Baby Inch replica (67kg), half a penny set up, a powertwister and a 20kg Blob.

We went into the MM1 certification after warming up and that went well, we both got it. Closes felt relatively 'easy'. Then we set up the Inch and after a bit fiddling around, I got it up fully. Bob masters this lift and Roy also lifted it, perfectly level! With a bit of practise the 'IKEA cup lift' will be very doable!

We then took the 20kg Blob which is a tricky one, Roy and I had never touched a Blob before. We lifted it all three and Bob put the icing on the cake by clean and pressing it. Bob has a 25kg Blob, but he didn't bring it with him. At this point however I wouldn't have gotten air under it.

Than we tried half a penny, 2HP (that setup of mine isn't good as it should be but we did some nice lifting), and Bob's powertwister, which is basically a big spring that you need to bend, using the complete upper body. Tricky thing.

We did a lot of stuff and at one point the hands just turn into jelly and it's over.

We ate and drank some more, talked a lot of grip and we can look back at a great day. Roy and Bob are both strong guys!

Geralt Inch

Bob Inch

Roy Inch

Now on to 'normal' training, I am eyeballing my 169 Elite again. Also, I have sights on a 25kg Blob replica! Nom nom nom...

• Like 2

I was going to like the above post, but I reached my "quota of positive votes for the day"! :)

Great day it was!

MM2 is next, also we all three shall lift the 25kg blob then, not sure if we're going to curl it too, as we did yesterday with the 20kg -in not the very strictest form :chris:

Light training tonight. Started off with squats again.

Bar x 10;

50kg x 10;

70kg x 8;

80kg 3 x 5.

Shoulderpresses;

Pushups from pushup stands;

Light abs.

Soreness has worn off from last Sunday. Specially the thumbs had a good stretch.

Next gripworkout Sunday or Monday.

Going to get my hands on a 25kg Blob, it was offered me by Theo Burggraaf, first Dutch COC. Very cool. Fair price so good deal. Was planned for Friday but it's going to be next week Friday. Theo now lives on Bali and is at this moment not into grip.

Looking forward to train with it.

Squats again, saving my arms for recovery.

Bar 1x10;

50kg 1x10;

70kg 1x10;

80kg 4 x10.

Dumbbellpresses and tricepwork.

Grip this afternoon, I felt strong.

Focus on Deep sets because I want to break through the 170lbs range. My plateau.

1 x 1 BBE @169lbs, closed and hold felt 'easy!'

took it up a notch:

3 x 1 Ghp8 @176lbs, all keeping closed. Nice!

1 x 1 BBE @169lbs again, closed but sharpness was lost a bit.

2 x 1 IM#3 (not rated, guess around 150 - 152 lbs compared to my other grippers) 1.5" Ghp blockset reps, almost got 2 reps.

Don't know where this was coming from but it was a nice first session with heavier grippers for me.

Dumbbell lifts with Fatgripz Extreme, homemade half a penny lifts, wristwork and ending with simple concentrationcurls for biceps. haven't done them in a long time since my right arm is injury sensitive with that stuff. With Bob and Roy I noticed that I got 'weaker' in that area so this is a point of attention for me. Making it stronger will also probably work for injury prevention.

Very good work, Geralt! Wanted to congratulate you first on the MM1. Then on smashing through the 170lb barrier. Well on your way to the 180lb barrier.