Complete Begginer Starts Log

cajunjay

Hi guys

Been doing block work for a few days now and im getting better at it all the time. My blocks are pieces of timber 2x4 and 4x4 with steel hooks so i can attatch weights using a loading pin. I covered the timber in electrical tape to make it more smooth.

Ive noticed its not so difficult to lift more that 30lbs even 35lbs, this really cant be right. Im gonna invest in a real block weight (steel) this must be much more taxing i think. Or cut a hex hed dumbell

Any ideas??

Cajun :rock

p.s Im over the soreness now, i think it was just a breaking into grip training kinda think :D

Edited by cajunjay

Hey guys, sorry for using this post and asking a question but I didn't want to waste a whole post on a question that will help Cajun in a few weeks anyway.

Im about 1/4" - 1/2" (meaning this is average w/set) till closing the #2, do you think a HG300 would be pretty effective with negatives? Or should I dish out the extra couple of bucks and get a #3 for negs?

The HG300 should be okay. But for the extra $2.00 the #3 is a little better

quality.

The spring on my HG300 visibly bent. In the closed postion, the handles are twisted.

It is now good for "BTR" training.

T!

Yeah, your probably right, I should just spend the extra money on a #3. I probably will end up doing that.

I can now close the Trainer with ease, quite impressive seeing that just a week or so ago i was having to squeeze the hell out of it to get the handles to touch.

I think doing negatives with the coc 1 has helped out loads as well as lifting my block weights

I now have 25lb and 35lb block weights, which i bought from Stan at intensefitness.co.uk

Todays training

I closed the Trainer with 100% effort 10 times with each hand

10 x rapid fire closes with each hand

20 alternate slow squeezes until burnout

5 hard negatives with each hand with the coc 1. I can get the handles to about 1 cm with my right and 1.5cm with the left

Then i did block training, lifted the 35lb with each hand 5 times of the ground about 12 inches, then i couldnt really bugde it anymore.

The used the 25lb and lifted it and switched hands until i could do no more.

Im progressing slowly but surely :D

Edited by cajunjay

yeah your making nice progress, if you can get it to about 10mm then try to cheat it shut on your leg and see how long you can hold it shut like that. With you blockweights try passing your 35lb back and forth before your burn out your grip. Then do some timed holds with the 25 see how that works for you, other than that your doing ok, keep it up :rock

I am now soooooooo close 2 getting the #1 with my right hand, cant be more than 2mm away, but with the left hand im about 1cm off.

I think using my new block weights has been really beneficial as the rsults carry over to the grippers :D

Todays training

I closed the Trainer with 100% effort 10 times with each hand

10 x rapid fire closes with each hand

20 alternate slow squeezes until burnout

5 hard negatives with each hand with the #1. Come so close i can feel it coming!

Then i did block training, lifted the 35lb with each hand 5 times of the ground about 12 inches, then i couldnt really bugde it anymore.

I cannot pass the 35ib weight from hand to hand as its beyond me at the moment

The used the 25lb and lifted it and switched hands until i could do no more.

I must add sandblasting to my workouts now after reading a recent thread on the gripboard :rock

Edited by cajunjay

keep it up cajunjay, sounds like your doing the right thing at the moment. Ive got 2 more grippers on there way a BB Master and Super Master and also the Rolling thunder and loading pin, should be playing with those in about a week :D

Tried 2day at closing the coc #1, (with every last ounce of stregth) i come within 1mm with both hands, im so so close i cannot believe just how close.

Maybe a days rest then i'll have it done :D

Block weights really are the mutz nutz, they really do improve overall hand strength in a big way.

Im still just about able to bugde the 35lb block weight i have off the floor for more than a second or two, the blob must really be a monster. by the way what is the width of the Blob whatever it is must make it all that much harder to pull of the ground.

Now im close to closing the #1 im gonna have to invest in the #2, i feel this will be such a hard quest to complete which will take a long time and alot of blood and tears, i envy you guys who can close the #3 i havnt seen the spring on one of those as yet but its gotta be a monster.

Cajunjay :rock

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this log, your somewhat where I'm at with my CoC training. I could close the trainer with ease when I first got it, its the number one that gives me trouble. I've only closed the number 1 a couple of times, and I'm currently trying to make the step up.

I've just started with negatives, and it seems what you are doing is working, so I will continue to monitor your progress for tips! I had a bit of a setback for a week, because I felt I strained my hand, so I didn't train, and it has definitely set me back.

yeah, nice going on your #1 close, now lets see how long you can keep it closed :):rock

Just popped in again to say the wearing gloves to sleep trick worked wonders for me. My hands feel infinitely better after doing so!

Edited by Heimdall

Hi, not been updating for a while now

Ive been concentrating on block weights for a while now, the coc 1 has fallen only a few times im think i better keep at it coz i was so close not long a go. I did seem to strain my right hand whilst squeezing the hell out of it a week ago, its my ring finger on my right hand it sometimes feels a bit weak.

The reason being i have damaged that hand a few years ago when i was a stupid teenager and got into a fight where i donr the knuckle in on that finger and the knuckle got pushed back a little. Not proud of that and now im paying for it as that part of the hand is now a bit deformed and ive got to takr extra care when training coz i need to strenthen that part slowly coz i dont want to agrivate it. :(

I wonder if anybody else has any problems like this as its not exactly something that anyone else is likely to have problems with.

• 2 months later...

Decided to update after what seems like ages, now i can close my coc 1 with autority anytime i want and overcrush it. Ive got my 2 on the way and also ive invested in the KTA program hopefully i'll have that new 2 closed within a few months and onto the big 3.

Cajun :bow

Decided to update after what seems like ages, now i can close my coc 1 with autority anytime i want and overcrush it. Ive got my 2 on the way and also ive invested in the KTA program hopefully i'll have that new 2 closed within a few months and onto the big 3.

Cajun  :bow

excellent......good luck with 2...nice to see ya back.