Complete Begginer Starts Log

cajunjay

Hi guys I have read through most of the training logs and im very impressed with peoples progress and ability to reach there goals.

My aim fir the future is to close the COC #2 , this will prove very difficult and may take sometime.

At this exact moment I have 2 regular sports store grippers and a COC Trainer which I only recieved this morning (and a pony clamp). I have managed to close the Trainer only once 2day with my right hand and not far off with my left. :(

These grippers are truely impressive even the trainer is proving difficult. I think I will need to invest in the COC #1 aswell so I can keep on prgressing

I have sent off for a wrist roller from http://www.sportsworkout.com/ProductDetails.asp?product=1064

And also a 30lbs block weight.

These tools will hopefully get me on the right track

I have no specific traing routine as yet but I im open to suggestions, I want to train as much as possible say 6 days a week.

I know this log isnt that intresting but I think it will prove valuable in the future to any other begginers to read for good advice

Edited by cajunjay

Hey,

its a good thing to invest in the #1 as its a 'natural' intermediate to the #2.

Even though you may be still far away from closing it now you can do great exercises with it.

Having done several attempts with the #1 you will recognize how 'easy' the #T feels afterwards.

Don't start with an intensity too high. Its so easy to hurt yourself. Especially if you are a beginner.

I know its difficult not to touch the grippers every day. :laugh

Its great that you already have a block weight to train with. I guess this will help you a lot.

Don't focus on grippers solely. You might find thick bar work interesting too. Simply put a PVC pipe over a dumbbell and you have a thick bar to train with.

Good luck and keep us informed.

yo good luck with your training, i started training my grip about 3 months ago, i couldnt even close the trainer to begin with but now im on my way to closing #2. To help me on the CoC grippers i bought some RB grippers at values inbetween the CoC's just to help ease the gaps. I think they have helped a lot, but stick with your trainer and #1 for now timed closes on the T and negatives on the #1 got me on the way see how they work for you :)

Don't focus on grippers solely. You might find thick bar work interesting too. Simply put a PVC pipe over a dumbbell and you have a thick bar to train with.

I thought thickbar ruined your crush strength or did i read wrong :blink

I thought thickbar ruined your crush strength or did i read wrong :blink

So you read my logs? Great! :happy

I wouldn't say ruined.

It slowed down my gripper progress but it didn't stop it.

For my certs I made a pause with my thick bar training to gain optimal stength with the grippers.

For a novice I strongly recommend to train all aspects of hand strength. He will for sure improve in each area. But train carefully!

i see, i havent really trained thickbar yet, ive trained pinch, crush, forearm but no thickbar, reason is i have no thickbar to work with :(

Ive had the Trainer now for a few days I fried my hands the first day I had them, I just couldnt put them down :D . I took a day off yesterday and 2day I managed to close it a few times with both hands, well only once with the left but soooooo close everytime. No go with the time holds tho, i'll work on it

I better order a #1 now so I can hopefully continue my progress.

Good luck with the gripper goals Cajun. You have come to the best place, as I'm sure you will find out. The advice to be found and offered here is astounding. Take advantage of it, and I look forward to reading your log. :)

Managed to close the Trainer now with both hands, only got a few singles with the right hand 3 to be exact and 2 closes with left.

Lifted my 30lb block weight a few times, its kinda heavy so I can only get a few lifts before my hands cant take anymore :dry

Anyway Ive made a bit of progress i suppose, just waiting on my #1 to turn up now. I need a few suggestions as to making some sort of routine at the moment im just doing a few block lifts and crushes of the gripper at regular intervals during the day.

Its quite enjoyable actually. :rock

Edited by cajunjay

Great start to your log keep it up!!!

Get a sledge hammer and start working some levers with it, I kick myself for not working these alot until recently!

Jon@han

2Days progess

Ive managed to get 5 Singles out of each hand with my coc Trainer, not all at once but throughout the day. I can feel it getting a little bit easier each day, hopefully this time next week i'll be getting some reps going.

I know this probably sounds pathetic to you guys but im here to learn and hopefully progress quickly.

Also done 5 lifts of my 30lb block weight with each hand (also not all at once)

Im still waiting on my No. 1 to turn up and have a go at that.

Keep the tips coming guys im doing okay so far, once I reach my aim of closing the No.2 some day i'll know who to thank.

:rock

Just keep setting goals and meeting them. You're doing great!

I recieved my gripper #1 today :(

Its a Heavy Grips hand grippers (HG150) im not very impressed and i will be returning it, its supposed to be 150lbs but its exactly the same as my COC trainer, if not even easier.

Im gonna stick with COC from now on, at least the crush poundage is gonna be much more accurate.

Any body else got any of these grippers, and how do you find them?

Read the FAQs man! Don't look at the poundage, look at the wiresize. The HG 200 is probably closer to what you want... You won't be dissapointed with just buying a #1 of course. Make sure you give that 150 a couple of overcrushes before you return it also!

For COC grippers go here: COC Grippers

Your making good progress, if this is something you are serious about, I would strongly suggest buying the KTA program. The improvements that myself and others have experienced on this program is truely amazing. Just learning the proper techninques on how to position the gripper and properly set and close it will help a lot. Also there is a 10 week program layed out for you. It is a tough program however and will take a lot of physical and mental toughness to complete, but if you get through this you will close the #2 in no time.

Thanks for the support guys.

I have a question that i need answering, ive noticed after only 2 weeks of training that my thumb muscle/pad seems a bit bigger, i was wondering how to isolate the muscle on the other side under the pinkie finger. I think training this muscle also will give a stronger overall grip.

Thanks

Cajun

Edited by cajunjay

have a question that i need answering, ive noticed after only 2 weeks of training that my thumb muscle/pad seems a bit bigger, i was wondering how to isolate the muscle on the other side under the pinkie finger. I think training this muscle also will give a stronger overall grip.

This is a tough one, 2 finger (ring+pinky) block weight lifts are probably your best bet. Some people think double underhanded bending helps too, but I don't bend DO so can't tells ya.
Gonna looking recovery tips

The #1 tip for me is wearing winter gloves at night. The heat really helps especially if the pain/weakness is in the hand and not so much in the wrist/forearm. #2 would be contrast baths #3 heavy shot rotation. Good luck!

another beginner here, i only got no1 coc, about 5 weeks. I can now close pretty easy, several weeks of inconsistent practice then a week of doing almost every day made it easy with right hand, left still eludes me.

Yes, I have significant muscle growth under thumb area

Done a workout 2day

Lifted 30lb block weight 5 times with each hand.

5x closes with Trainer both hands, managed to hold close for 5-10 seconds on last closes.

Not much of a workout but im still waiting on my coc#1 to arrive. Also crushed a HG150 with both hands, i think its the same as my Trainer

Edited by cajunjay

I would say do a lot of singles/timed holds/negatives through out the day... like 2-3 every hour...

that will keep you from gettin sore, and give you the greatest gains in the beginning. I closed the 130 RB within my first week of getting it, and when I started I could hardly get it to parallell. Also I would suggest you to practise setting the gripper as deep as possible. I find set work to be the most productive. After I could hold the gripper shut for 20+ seconds, I also could do a noset...

yeah singles, timed holds and negatives have worked well for me so far, as soon as i have closed one gripper im onto the next doing negatives. No-set closed have worked well to get my left hand almost up to par with my right, im mm's away from no setting my #1 with my left and im working away on timed no-sets with my right and set negatives with a rb 160 with my right.

Not been able to train lately, i can feel the tendons in my hands are really sore. If i try squeezing any gripper its quite sore. I think i'll have to ease myself into this slowly and take a rest for a while. :(

Im gonna try sleeping with warm gloves on for a while and hope that speeds up the recovery time.

Anybody else have this problem when they first started??

Cajun

yeah, try what i got told from this forum, get a thick elastic band put it around you fingers and then open them, do a couple of sets of 10 each hand, it will help recovery and work your extensors on the back of your hand