Training Log

Rick Walker

forgot to add a funny story from today's session.

I had warmed up inthe squat-135x1, 225x1, 315x1 and then loaded it to 405. I had my knee sleeves on and was tightening up my belt for set #1 when I felt a rumble in the jungle.

I had 2 choices. Choice one, say screw it, and do the set. I was already belted up and ready to go. However, I have shit myself in the squats once before, ironically under 405. So...I thought about choice 2.

Choice 2 was to take off my belt, pull my sleeves down, and run inside and upstairs to the bathroom.

As I stood there looking at the weight and deciding what to do, I let out a little fart. It almost turned into a big fart, so I dropped the belt and hit the high ground.

Damn coffee....

I tried doing the deed with my knee sleeves on but my legs were going to sleep. So, I had to pull them down. The bad part is, when you sweat, it makes almost impossible to slide them back up.

By the time all was said and done, I was 10 minutes between 315 and 405. Good thing the weight was easy today...

:tongue

True Story.

Rick Walker :rock

08/20

Grip session with Steve, Ed, Brett, and Shrug. Didnt do much of anything..hands are fried. Steve and Brett showed me how to bend double under and I managed to melt a bunch of 40s, a 50, and a 6.5" piece of crs. I like it..does not effect my pec at all.

Only highlight was I managed to break 500 off the ground in 1-hand deadlift with farmer bar. didnt lock it out or anything but I did manage to get it off the ground. Before that, I did 410 like nothing to full lockout.

08/22

Felt like shit. Allergies are hitting me in a bad way. Nasally as heck today, and just an all around feeling of disgust.

Had to workout. Missed yesterdays session at shrugs because of the rain. Got dressed and drug my tired ass outside.

Stones: warm-up- 180 keg x 6. Already my back was feeling tight, and my bicep tendonitis was flaring up. Decided it would be best to only pick the stone up once, but then go from lap to high chest 6 times. This way, I still get a heck of a workout, but without all the bicep stress.

Did 257 stone lap to chest x6

then 277+ stone lap to chest x6.

That was smoking me bad. But, the heavier stone actually felt easier.

Onto the tire.

600 pound Tire: 3 sets of 8 flips.

Deadlifts: decided 10 singles was a dumb idea. The stones and the tire really whack my lower back...it was tired and it wasnt geting any better. I sat on my bech for about 10 minutes, just staring off into space. That wasnt doing anything for me, so I loaded the bar and started warming up. Did my sets:

515 x 5 singles. 5 is enough. No sense destroying my lower back, then trying to do a heavy yoke 2 days later. I will do 5 singles with deads now, like I do with the squats. The weight felt easy. I think I will set a new deadlift PR for this lighter bodyweight. 209 today and counting.

I need to shower, eat a couple roast beef sandwhiches, then veg out onthe couch with my wife.

I need to shower, eat a couple roast beef sandwhiches, then veg out onthe couch with my wife.

To watch the Olympics, right!!!!!!!! :D:D

If you need some good lower back exercises to keep it more mobile and healthy, check out this webiste and get the "Warrior Wellness " Tape 1 and "Be Breathed" tape..great investements. :))))))))))

08/23

First real grip workout since last Tuesdays thick bar hell. Hands felt good..not 100% though. Strongman is beating them up: farmers, farmers holds, heavy deads, etc.

So, I mowed the lawn for warm up, then went to grip.

2.5" Ted's Shed Bar: Loaded it to 150 pounds to erase last week. Smoked it! Full deadlift and huge pr! Then did:

150x.5, 145x1x.5, 140x1

Combined with #3 closes in right hand.

2" bar: Another PR! Got 165x1!

Then: 160x1x.5, 155x1x1

Combined with #2 closes for 5 reps x 5 sets.

Elbow tendonitis is awful today so I skipped rolling handle pull-ups.

Lever stick: 3x8 to front each hand, 3x8 to back each hand.

Extensions.

Heavy shot rotation.

20 minutes Nordic Track.

So, I mowed the lawn for warm up, then went to grip.
I do this too. great idea. The vibration gets them ready. Also, try weedwhacking.
Elbow tendonitis is awful today so I skipped rolling handle pull-ups.

Sledgehammer rotations, extensors, and reverse curls. Attack the site of pain. Engorge it with blood.

-Jedd-

I cant add much to what Jedd said. I absoulutely love reverse curls and they have kept me balanced and injury free since Ive been doing them. Great second movement to whatever you might be specializing on.

Austin

Sledgehammer rotations, extensors, and reverse curls.

Sounds good. The real problem here is time and desire. I was up at 4:30 this morning to get to the gym for a 6 am client. After coming home by 10ish, then mowing, hitting grip, and doing cardio, I was spent. Do not have the desire to do rehab, even though I know it should be done.

I am doing extensions and heavy shot rotation. Too much pain to even thick about a reverse curl right now. It all stems from the stones. Doing stones once a week keeps the tendonitis alive and well.

Any other ideas that dont involve suiting up for a workout or loading a bar?

Rick you might try doing the wrist roller without shoulder support at the end of each grip workout for 1-2 sets of high reps. This seemed to do the trick for me and only takes a couple of mins at the end of a workout. It hits all the same areas and flushes the area with blood as well. I worked up to 9 reps each set with this exercise. Good Luck

Austin

Any other ideas that dont involve suiting up for a workout or loading a bar?

None of them do, really. I do the hammer rotations off and on for two hours during wrestling on Mondays, I have a tube that is filled up with nails for the reverse curls and you know my extensors lift.

If it hurts to do the reverse curls (lateral epicondylitis), then reverse curls is exactly what you need, from my experience. If it hurts when you row a stone (medial epicondylitis), then the hammer is what you need and if it hurts in the middle of your forearm, than you need the extensor training.

-Jedd-

08/24

MEDLEY DAY! OH JOY!!!! :yikes:yikes:blink

Power Cleans: 210 x5x5x5

Nice and easy still. Working on form, snapping the weight, and getting the elbows high each time. I have shitty explosiveness. I would like to get a 315 pound power clean at 200 pounds. Very doable.

Medley (farmers walk/keg carry/super yoke): 50 feet for each. I first warmed up with the yoke-hitting 2-50 foot trips with 340. 2-50 foot trips with 520. Loaded it to 660 and Loaded up farmers bars to 230 an arm and put the keg in place at the other end of the yard. It is over 80 in the sun, and my yard where I train the medley and conans is IN THE SUN. :cry

Got my step-son to come time me. Inzer strongman knee sleves, wrist wraps, and belt. Got the farmers 50 feet and the keg 50 back. Strolled over to the yoke and asked: "Whats my time?" 35 secs. Breath. Breath. Mental note "Light as a feather...it is only 1 feather" (oh yeah..stole that line from a female weightlifter!) got under the yoke and took 660 50 feet with no set-downs. Time?

72 seconds.

Damn. I am 2 months out and I am doing the medley in 72 seconds with no set downs? And..I even took my time. Messed with the keg to get a good hold, took a long breather before I got under the yoke. I am happy. :D

In all seriousness. If I stay healthy, and on track, I will do the medley in under 60 seconds.

Did a nother smooth run, no set downs, but didnt time it. I felt faster..less rest before I got after the yoke. Side note: On my second yoke trip, I hit a divet in the yard and the left side of the yoke scraped the ground hard enough to dig up the sod. I did not flinch and powered right through it.

Dropped yoke bar to waist level for conans:

Conans Wheel Walk: 380 x55 feet, x55 feet, x65 feet.

This is LIGHT. There is only 1 problem..hard to breath. More weight. 400 next week.

Suit-case deadlifts: 210 x5x5x5 each side. Again light. I know I can do 300+ for a single. Need to jump to 230+ next week.

Pretty fried. Drank a protein drink, took some more vit. c, e, and fish oils. Now I am listening to NRA News and sucking back my second gallon of country water.

Grip today? I dont know yet...ask me in a couple hours. :help

Fuuny pic of the day:

Medley Day

08/26

Havent trained grip since Monday. Was planning on hitting it today, but my wife called at 9:30 and wanted me to come to the day care and help out. They wanted to take the kids outside, and there were just too many little ones. Let me tell you...I have a new found respect for how hard my wife works. YIKES! That is a hard job...kids are crazy. Every 2 seconds I had to chase one. Damn.

So no grip. :cry Life happens.

Anyway...

Clean and Press with axle: 200 pounds. First round I got 2. The clean was easy, but not being allowed to jerk the weight sucks, and my triceps need WORK. Fought for the 3rd but couldnt get it in the 60 seconds.

Second round I got 3. Fought for 4th, couldnt do it. Not allowing the jerk is weird. I wanted to jerk the bar so bad, I had to fight from doing it. Overall, I am not unhappy with that. I am 10 weeks out. If I can add 1 rep a week with 200, when I use 180 in contest, I will blow it up.

High Pulls w/ Axle: 200 x5, 210 x5x5. Smoke shizow.

Close Stance Squats: 415 x 5 singles. Easy. Felt strong.

Axle Lockouts in cage, bar eye level, no back support: 145 x8 x8

OH Ext. with oly bar: 95 x8 x8

Farmers Holds: 300 an arm. 30 seconds round 1. Tough. Really had nothing left. Second round I did 35 seconds and felt good. Had maybe 5-10 more seconds in me. Locked in tight and it felt golden. 265 in contest...I want 2 minutes.

Dropped it second set and pulled off weight to 120 and arm..picked it back up, hit 12 reps in the shrug.

Called it a day.

I was talking with someone in chat earlier, and we were discussing the over head press.

I never trained it standing before, and hardly seated, December of last year. When I started, my max with a piss poor jerk was 160 pounds.

I am pretty happy that I am doing 200 for full clean and press with no jerk for 3.5 reps.

Rick, how's the pec coming? Able to bench without pain, yet?

-Jedd-

Rick,

May be a stupid question but when you attempt to lift the Ted's Shed bar do you grab it with your thumb around the bar? I tried that with my 2, 3/8th" Barbell and was only able to lift it with out using my thumb as sort of a monkey paw grip in the center of the Barbell. I found this a great wrist workout cause of the balance issue. I can only say if you use your thumb your a bad ass. Great log, learning a lot.

-SMP