Training Log

Rick Walker

:laugh

Time will tell...

Strength Goals: get ready for october Fall Challenge

Grip Goals: 2-45s, inch db- both by September 17th, 2004.

Cardio Goal: 1.5 miles in 12 minutes or better- by: ??

08/14

Deadlifts- 1 single every minute for 10 minutes- 500 pounds.

600 pound tire: 3 sets of 8 flips each. Didnt time the runs. Felt good...need lots of tire time.

Rick Walker :rock

08/15

Ted's Shed 2.5" handle bar: 145 pounds- 5 singles left hand

together with

#3 closes right hand- 5 singles

2" bar: 160 pounds- 5 singles with left hand

together with

#2- 5 sets of 5 right hand

2.5" wrist roller exercise: 3 sets of 8 each way with both hands- 75 pounds

then static holds with left hand only: 85 pounds x 3 holds

Done.

2 mile run. No time. Sean D. suggested I do a 2 mile run once a week to make the 1.5 seem easy. Quick Pace today...my cd player showed about a 9 minute mile pace which for me is clipping along.

I am slow and fat...

Great work.

Great Cardio goal, I am working on a somewhat similar goal too. I usually keep my running to under 2 miles, mix it up between sprints and hills.

Which way do you do your Deads? Conv/sumo ????

Keep training hard and don't let Brett hit you in the head with a KB, you should try Clubbell too :))))))))

Jason

Thanks Jason.

I pull conventional. Tried to switch to a mini sumo style, but my hips arent up to par with my back. I can pull 500 easy both styles, but with sumo it is slow and agonizing. With conventional it is quick.

Goal is 600+ for 10 singles, 1 a minute, before October Fall Challenge strongman.

Forgot to add to todays workout:

Finger extensions via a jar full of bent nails

Shot rotations until I wanted to vomit.

Rick, have you tried interval training (HIIT). It's a great way of increasing cardiovascular endurance, and shedding some kilos at the same time. Also, it is much more time efficiant. :D

I guess I should point out WHY I am running.

I have a pt test coming up for work..I have to do 1.5 miles. The give you forever to do it, but my goals is 12 or under.

So, I have to run.

08/16

Power Cleans: I know how important power cleans are...I just hate them. Gotta do them though...

200 for 3 sets of 5. Nice and easy.

Medley work: I once thought I had enough 45 pound plates. That was until I started training for the medley spawned by satan himself...

Farmers Walk-50 feet

Keg carry- 50 feet

Super yoke- 50 feet.

Who puts those together? Damn.

I used 230 an arm farmers, 180+ keg, and 660 super yoke. 2 full runs through the event. Not too bad. Didnt fly, and the quads were screaming. But, I havent walked a super yoke since June and I did 660 with no set downs both times. I am most happy about that!

Conan's Wheel: For this event I just drop the bar of the super yoke to waist level, load it up, and go.

Used 380 for 3- 50 foot trips. Was fairly easy weight wise, just is tough to breath when doing this event so I need a lot of pratice. My yoke is pretty shakey so using it should help. As the weeks wear on I will work up to 100' or more per trip and 400 pounds of weight. This is obviously heavier then the actual conans since I am supporting the entire load.

Suit case deadlifts: Went light on these cause my core was fried from the event work. 200 for 3 sets of 5 each side.

Now..you all may be wondering why I am using such light weights. The reason is, my scale says I am 212. Now..I am not trying to lose weight. The only thing different about what I have been doing is I started running on a regular basis. My diet has been shit lately due to family reunion left overs, and get togethers with the beasts from the west. So...one would think I would be gaining weight???

Not the case. Combine the high workload of the now strongman training with the running, and I am sure I will be 200 or under come late October. Not by choice, but by nature. So, I will be in the light weight class. However, the weights I am using in the events now are already higher then what I will have to in the LW class...so I am ahead of schedule.

Grip work after I veg for a couple hours...Core is SHOT!

I must insist that you gain weight - starting now - :blink

Damn fine training Rick - strong and lighter - scary combo.

Brett

08/16...added grip work

45 hex head- 5 deadlifts each hand

2-35s- 5 deadlifts each hand

Plate wrist curls- 25+ 3 pound clamp + 1.25 pound plate = 29.25 pounds: 4 sets of 3 reps. This was hurting my right wrist...and not in a good way. I worked through it.

Rolling handle pull-ups: 25 strapped to waist x3x3, Bodyweight x5x5x5

Finger extensions ala weighted jar

Shot rotations till I had severe cramping in both hands....

Had to speed up towards the end...wife was calling me for dinner. :kiss

Do you ever contrast soak anymore, Rick? I havenot done it in a while.

-Jedd-

Do you ever contrast soak anymore, Rick?

No...but I am going to start it again.

08/17

Sometimes you get out of bed angry. Today was one of those days. Sigh.

1.5 mile run: 13:54.

I dont seem to be getting any faster. This just added to my pissed off state. Time to drop the music and just start running to the sounds of nature. The music keeps me in step..but may be slowing me down and not letting me reach my true stride length. I usually listen to Marin or Navy Seal running cds.

As if I wasnt mad enough...

Grip workout sucked real bad today. I guess cause I was riding high, it was bound to turn ugly sooner or later. I am hoping all I need is some time off.

Started with Ted's Shed 2.5" bar: wanted to hit a pr deadlift of 150. tried it twice, and could not get it more then 10 or so inches before I lost it.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Dropped down to 140, did 2 real easy singles to lockout. So, I bumped it back to 145...again...missed it. Keep in mind I have been doing 5 singles with 145 for 3 workouts now. FU*K!

Went to 2" bar. Last workout I did 5 easy singles with 160. Tried 165. Didnt move more then an inch tops. Droped to 160...same result.

BAGGED IT. Can't workout when you are pissed off. It was bad and turning worse.

No grip training until Monday. I am doing from now until then is heavy shot rotations, finger extensions, and soaks.

FU*K!

Edited: forgot to add, try bending today since everything esle was going to shit. Couldnt even put a kink in a 60??? So, in anger, I threw that bastard across my gym. Where did it end up? Embedded in my damn water jug! Water sprayed everywhere! :angry: Now, to top it off, I gotta run to town to get a new gallon.

Video game time...

Rick Walker

:calm

Rick my friend - your intensity is your asset and your downfall.

You must have easy workouts to balance your PR days.

This is something I struggle with as well and everytime I push too long into a peak the trip down is not fun.

For your running - vary the distance - do shorter speed runs (maybe 1/2 mile intervals) or one mile for time. two mile slower runs and 1.5 mile pace runs.

Trying to do the same thing all the time will not get you ahead.

Sorry if this is out of place - just my 2cents worth.

Brett

rick......i would gladly take your off days, and you could keep all the good ones....try this for running, it took my mile time down by a couple minutes, and every time i use it, it keeps working. i got this from matt furey. run a mile, or whatever distance you are aiming for, but try to run it as hard an fast as possible. you will find your time dropping each day if you really try your hardest. do this every day for a week. this is one of the most brutal things i have ever done, but it works. at the end of the week, take a few days off then see how you fair. also, try sprinting as fast as you can uphill. this helps alot. nice shower...... :happy haha what kind of video games do you play man?

Hey, nothing wrong with dropping a workout.

Monday i walked down stairs and grabbed a gripper and my skin felt so hot instantly I knew I had no business grip training that day. I was all the stronger on Tuesday for it.

Some days my body doesn't want to or can't perform at that high level. On thos edays, I either change my focus or say heck with it and don't train, or like you said, just do hand health techniques. No problem. A day here and there is not going to hinder your progress.

I think you'll bounce out real quick. Good job destroying your jug, ya doucher.

-Jedd-

Rick my friend - your intensity is your asset and your downfall.
:blush
For your running - vary the distance - do shorter speed runs (maybe 1/2 mile intervals) or one mile for time. two mile slower runs and 1.5 mile pace runs.

Trying to do the same thing all the time will not get you ahead.

I will start doing this more. I really hate to do sprints as they kill my hips and knees, but running used to as well until I got used to it, so I am sure sprinting will be the same.

Thanks Brett.

rick......i would gladly take your off days, and you could keep all the good ones....
You have a deal! Where do I sign...
what kind of video games do you play man?

Mostly shooting type games such as Metal Gear, Vice City, Streets of L.A., and Max Payne.

I also like a good game of NCAA Football 2004.

Some days my body doesn't want to or can't perform at that high level. On thos edays, I either change my focus or say heck with it and don't train, or like you said, just do hand health techniques. No problem. A day here and there is not going to hinder your progress.

Bingo. I have this attitude towards training that it has to always go right, and bagging a session is not only not allowed, it is weak. So, I get pissed and have an awful session, and then I am on edge all day long. This needs to stop. I need to learn how to walk away and accept the fact that I wont always be ready to go.

Thanks guys...

08/19

Axle Clean and Press, most reps in 60 seconds: I used 180 today. Just wanted to see where I was with this lift. From now on, I will use 200.

Managed 180 x6, x6. The clean portion was a joke. However, the contest promoter does not allow you to jerk the weight, you have to push press it, and no rebending of the knees is allowed. So, my triceps need volume work. I think I can be up to 10 in 60 seconds in 3-4 weeks. 10 should place me well overall in the light weights.

Clean High Pulls with Axle: 180x5, 200 x5x5. Pretty light. More weight!

Close Stance High Bar Squats: Been forever since I did these. My plan is kinda like my deadlift, except I only do 5 singles, 1 every minute, instead of 10. I want to keep my strength high and be at a minimum of 500 for 5 by October. Hopefully much higher.

Today saw and easy 405 x 5 singles

Overhead Rack Lockouts w/ Axle: bar at eye level, no back supprt. Did 120 to warm up, but then counted as a work set x8

Then 140 x8 x8. Triceps. Need. Work.

Skull crushers with Oly bar: 135 x8 x8 These still feal bad in the pec. Slow and steady with them.

Farmers Hold: will use 265 an arm at contest, so I am working with 300 an arm now. Manged 2 solid holds for 30 seconds. Had more in me time wise, but I dont want to set the bar too high right out of the blocks. Also, the knurling on my farmers is damn deadly! Damaging my hands will do nothing but set me back, so from now on, I am wrapping athletic tape around them.

Dazzit!

I dont think at the time you were handling 300 pounds an arm...once a week, every week, for 2 months....

Big difference between that...and a one shot deal.

No wonder it so hard for me to maintain a training journal...

Mine gets filled up with comments from yahoos all the time :flame