European Grip Champs 2004 Results

David Horne

Some interesting analysis (well, interesting to me anyway!)

Overall points & placings after each event:

DH 105.83-6th 228.16-1st 330.87-1st 460.6-1st 566.96-1st

BW 115.58-1st 221.6-2nd 328.04-2nd 457.77-2nd 554.84-2nd

JA 112.84-3rd 209.54-3rd 319.72-3rd 425.67-3rd 522.74-3rd

SG 106.51-4th 199.71-6th 300.55-4th 401.09-6th 511.58-4th

JS 103.09-7th 207.94-4th 296.64-6th 402.59-4th 499.66-5th

DHU 106.34-5th 185.56-10th 289.2-8th 384.34-8th 490.7-6th

DB 94.03-10th 202.38-5th 292.95-7th 394.57-7th 482.34-7th

KL 96.09-9th 193.95-8th 300.39-5th 402.01-5th 480.49-8th

MA 99.33-8th 192.53-9th 281.23-9th 374.2-9th 452.68-9th

FK 113.7-2nd 197.58-7th 280.68-10th 373.65-10th 452.13-10th

EF 88.05-11th 175.43-11th 259.46-11th 343.79-11th 422.27-11th

ET 75.06-12th 156.61-12th 240.64-12th 327.13-12th 405.61-12th

Sorry for the poor legibility!

Edited by The Mac

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• David Horne

• Arne

• The Mac

I also analysed the results and awarded points according to the Strongman system (12pts for 1st, 11pts for 2nd....2pts for 11th, 1pt for 12th).

PLEASE NOTE: This is in no way to be taken as a comment upon the scoring system used, so do not take it that way.... :calm

1) Benny Wenneburg 52.5pts

2) David Horne 49pts

3) Johan Albrektsson 46.5pts

4) Steve Gardner 39.5pts

5) Jonas Svaren 37.5pts

6-) David Hurzeler 33.5pts

6-) Dean Bolt 33.5pts

8) Kalle Lane 32.5pts

9) Florian Kellersmann 21.5pts

10) Martin Arildsson 21pts

11) Erik Franz 12pts

12) Elizabeth Talbot 11pts

Pat and co.: much as I appreciate and am honoured by your offer of a kitty to get me to the US comp, even if you could get enough together I don't think I'd have the energy to make it to the airport, let alone all the way over there to compete. I'm happy to retire, and I mean it. I'm exhausted, and whilst incredibly happy to have won, I'm also unbelievably relieved to have no more imminent contests and the time for a rest. Rest assured that both Elizabeth and I will definitely be coming to the States in the near future (hopefully the next year or so), and will really enjoy meeting up with everybody. We'd also love to come and spectate at a contest there, but that's as far as it goes for me. My career is over, and I'm more than happy about that.

Chris:

Just seen your post. It's very interesting. That's what having a rubbish gripper score does for you! The reasons that we use this system (also used in decathlon athletics) and why it was used in the Euros are:

1/ excellence is rewarded by higher points scores

and 2/ competitors are pushed to produce the best lifts they can, and not just coast through an event they have already won, which means we get to see new world records created and ever bigger poundages lifted.

David

Edited by davidhorne

Besides this Brit will be making his mind up on Friday and if I come I plan on taking names.

David,

I like your points formula scoring system for the reasons you mentioned - I just computed the results in this for my own interest (and thought others might be too). In my view it is unfair that the winner only gets 1 more point than the 2nd place finisher in the "Strongman" scoring system.

again, this contest was like nothing I had experienced before. awesome intensity, everyone friendly, huge numbers, etc... I also think I never gave so much of myself in strength comps/meets.

thanks to all, again. looking forwad to meeting you guys again.

Jense: it was a pleasure meeting you, I´ll be going to Kullen in a few days!!

again, this contest was like nothing I had experienced before. awesome intensity, everyone friendly, huge numbers, etc... I also think I never gave so much of myself in strength comps/meets.

i may have forgot something.. but what is kullen?=)

i may have forgot something.. but what is kullen?=)

Jense för fan, skärpning nu! Du kan väl din skånska geografi! Kolla på den nordvästligaste delen av skåne!

Sorry, his comment force me to answer in swedish.

Jense for devil , sharpenings now! You tin welfare your sknska geography! Collapse p the nordvästligaste component of skne!

Or Jense you devil, sharpen up! You need help with your Swedish geography... and the rest??

Jense for devil , sharpenings now! You tin welfare your sknska geography! Collapse p the nordvästligaste component of skne!

Or Jense you devil, sharpen up! You need help with your Swedish geography... and the rest??

ha ha ha!

im from south-skåne, i dont give a flying rats ass about the northern territory :D

or i do, but i thought i was something else,

SO, how long vacation do you have here swiss?

I wasn't sure about kullen too. So i looked it up!

http://hem.passagen.se/maec4686/kull1.gif

Just add a space after the url and press enter and it should go fine.

Where can I upload a picture where the no3 is closed during the certification?

Edited by Mart|n

Jense: I thought you were the one who told me to go to Kullen. Aren´t you the guy with the beard?

Anyhow, I´ll be leaving Sweden on the 25th.

Oh and I wanted to add that Dean Bolt was very impressive: if this guy

1) trains seriously,

2) stops sleeping between attempts (!),

3) gets a little aggressive,

he´ll definitely be at the top of the game.

very nice guy too. hope his comp went well on wednesday!

d

no no, im not that one.

I'm the jense :D

im the one with the "strength" hat , i walked away with martin and one other dude after the comcetition. i don't know if we talked though

Congratulations to all competitors ,awesome lifting by all !!

David you are an all time great up there with Goerner and Apollon......PHENOMENAL :bow

Big Steve of old London town ...RESPECT :bow

Coming from you Chris that means a great deal - thank you. I have asked my mate to speak to my potential US sponsor today (Friday) and if I get the go ahead will be in touch with Smitty re coming to the US - I'm fired up now guys.

Chris,

Many thanks for your kind words. But if I'm up there with these guys then your with me as well!

David

I guess I don't really understand the scoring system. How do the scores for the events correlate to the performances?

David and I calculated the average results for all five events based on the top 5 guys in the last Iron Grip Championship and LGC XI. Each average result was then given a coefficient (in an earlier posting by me), which when multiplied with the average score would give 100points, i.e., 100 points in the grippers means that your results was spot on the average score for the top 5 in the IG and LGC.

Edited by Mikael Siversson