David Horne 142,50 132,50 275,00 102,71

Steve Gardener 137,50 132,50 270,00 100,84

Dean Bolt 117,50 125,00 242,50 90,57

Jonas Svaren 117,50 120,00 237,50 88,70

Martin Arildsson 120,00 117,50 237,50 88,70

Elizabeth Talbot 112,50 112,50 225,00 84,03

Erik Franz 122,50 102,50 225,00 84,03

Florian Kellersmann 112,50 110,00 222,50 83,10

As you can see the competitors can be separated into two main groups; 222.5-242.5 and 270-295. As far as I know, with two exeptions (Kalle in the higher group and Elizabeth in the lower), these groups correspond to those that trained more-or-less seriously with a v-bar leading up to the competition (the higher group) and those who did not (the lower). Correct me if I am wrong. I doubt Elizabeth trained hard with the v-bar just prior to the comp. but she has experience with v-bar lifting. The spectators were, from what I have heard, very impressed by Elizabeth's lifting.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• David Horne

• Arne

• The Mac

I think by her own admission at the event she and David hadn't trained as much as they normally would.

I only trained once a week on it with the following exactly what I did on my last V bar session - I have left nothing out.

V Bar

80 kilos x 3 x 1 rep both hands

130.5 kilos x 2 x 1 rep Left hand

136.5 kilos x 2 x 1 rep Right hand

This compares to what I did in the comp using the stricter rules (I have my hand touching the plates in training).

137,50 132,50

I want to congrat Martin Arildsson who just before the contest start close the CoC#3 in front of many witness. I personally put a VISA card between the handles after the setting and before the closing. Everything was documented on video.

I want to congrat Martin Arildsson who just before the contest start close the CoC#3 in front of many witness. I personally put a VISA card between the handles after the setting and before the closing. Everything was documented on video.

It's not easy to close the 3 with the card-rule, especially, when you don't have large hands, like Martin, who has only average sized hands. Congrats, bro :bow

It's not easy to close the 3 with the card-rule, especially, when you don't have large hands, like Martin, who has only average sized hands. Congrats, bro :bow

Florian, your crushing strength was incredible!:bow

Edited by Arne

Congratulations to You Martin to get certified on the 3# according to the 2inch set rule! :bow I hope I'll be the second to get certified on my 3# ! ;)

Thanks, Arne! I was surprised myself. But I would like to have your power on the v-bar :bow

Thanks, Arne! I was surprised myself. But I would like to have your power on the v-bar :bow

What do you mean? I did only lift back the V-bar on its place again? ;)

Arne,

Many thanks for a superb contest.

All the other guys,

Thanks for being there. Your efforts were very impressive.

I've just got home and had a lovely cup of tea! Ahhh

I have to admit that I am even more sore and tired today, and am ready for bed.

David

Arne,

Many thanks for a superb contest.

All the other guys,

Thanks for being there. Your efforts were very impressive.

I've just got home and had a lovely cup of tea! Ahhh

I have to admit that I am even more sore and tired today, and am ready for bed.

David

Thank You David! Have a good night sleep!

What can i say,one of the best comps i've ever been to. arne and his wife were first class( and a great cook,i think i'm about 140kg now).

I'm really looking forward to next year,can't wait to start training,had a really really good time and all the boys were great!

My 'man of the match' goes to david the swiss, this guy is awesome!!!!

Well done to david horne,what a great way to retire,the top grip guy in the world!

and a big thank to liz talbot,for helping pick my grippers etc.. and giving plenty of advice through out!

well done to everone for making such a great comp.

There are some pics on some Scandanavian sites, can't remember what they were.

The germans are going to put some video footage up on this site.

David

Well I've had a lovely sleep now, and am kinda refreshed. No training for me till next week. Unlike poor Dean Bolt who has the UK Strongest Man final tomorrow in Ireland!

Just a few things that I would like to say about the contest. Arne was a fantastic host, and put a huge amount of money and effort into running this very successful first European Grip Champs. A big well done to you Arne! :rock

It was great to compete against such a fantastic bunch of athletes - they were mega strong! But it was even more pleasant chatting to everyone after over a meal and a drink, when all the craziness of the day had died down. I'm never very relaxed during a contest, so sorry if I didn't chat as much as I could have.

It started off impressive with 6 competitors closing Elites and upwards of various strengths. But I think Florian stole the show here by closing a Super Elite with a rating of 3.65! :bow

In the 2 hands Pinch Lift Dean Bolt was massively pleased with his 2nd place medal on this event with a good 93k. In this contest we also had Elizabeth Talbot who stepped in at the last minute due to Hakans withdrawal. Elizabeth had won the British amateur champs and was next in order to be invited. Anyway, in this event she showed why she has the strongest hands of any female probably in the world, but definitely in Europe as she did 70k, which incredibly was 2k more than David Hurzeler and only 2k behind the likes of Florian! :rock

In the V bar, Johan Albrektsson showed great lifting throughout, but really stamped himself in the contest here with a 295k total. He may look at this result as the turning point for his 3rd place position. Well done! Kalle Lane equalled Benny here with a 285k total and showed why he has won so many grip contests in the past.

The One Hand Lift was an almighty battle, with the crowd cheering and clapping Benny and I and onto great heights. I still feel it in my back and traps as I type this right now, hopefully Benny is in as much pain :laugh

Jonas Svaren, and Steve Gardener did great lifts here to keep up the pressure for positions. But the 2 who I'd like to mention would be David Hurzeler who pulled some fantastically heavy weights at a bodyweight of only 76k, and Elizabeth Talbot who closed in on many of the guys with 200k in each hand. :bow

In the bar bending Steve Gardener won this event in a titanic battle with Johan for 3rd place overall, and I have to say this to you Steve, that I was proud of your performance and it's that kind of attitude that is needed from you all the time. I mean it, less chatting, more focus and more aggression and who knows what will happen in 2005. David Hurzeler again showed tremendous ability, especially since we were now in the 10th hour!

Well let's hope that the Europeans in 2005 will be as much of a success.

Many thanks again, to all, David

Great job everyone, and big congrats to David for pulling off a monstrous win!

I vote we take a Gripboard collection to send the European champ to GGC in September.....assuming David can get the time :rock

Hehe, thanks for the nice words! Now I just need some photos, and the videoclip so I can send it to IronMind! :D

mobsterone: Hmm... Don't know if I wanna compete in Strongman, But I'm active in powerlifting :)

Offtopic: How many has certified with the creditcardcrule?

Yeah, there will be some videos available soon.

I took about 100 minutes of video. Thats about 8 Gigs of raw video data. :whacked

Please give me some time (this weekend?) to get through this mess.

Highest priority had the cert. video of Martin which I had to extract first and get some suitable still shots out of the video.

Congrats, btw. :rock

Before I post any videos, I want to have the OK from each competitor.

I hope Arne can contact the swedes for me, since I can't do it. I have the OK

from all the other competitors since those are members here.

I think its worth waiting on the vids.

Ah,

just got a PM of Arne. Its OK for all the swedes.

Thanks Arne for the great contest. I really appreciated seeing you cheering

for EVERY competitor in EACH event. :bow

Yeah, there will be some videos available soon.

I took about 100 minutes of video. Thats about 8 Gigs of raw video data. :whacked

Please give me some time (this weekend?) to get through this mess.

Highest priority had the cert. video of Martin which I had to extract first and get some suitable still shots out of the video.

Congrats, btw. :rock

Before I post any videos, I want to have the OK from each competitor.

I hope Arne can contact the swedes for me, since I can't do it. I have the OK

from all the other competitors since those are members here.

I think its worth waiting on the vids.

Ah,

just got a PM of Arne. Its OK for all the swedes.

Thanks Arne for the great contest. I really appreciated seeing you cheering

for EVERY competitor in EACH event. :bow

It's OK from all competitors from Sweden! :D