Gripinator Vs Other Gripper Tools

bigbuffdan

with many machines out there to accompany you on your way to closing a big gripper, which one(s) have you guys found to be the best for the price. I dont mind blowing 300+$ on a machine, its just that I want something durable enough to work for years. The Ironmind hardy handshake looks awkward to close, however the gripinator although sturdy comes with a hefty price just for the stock version. :dry

rock on :rock - DBAR

The Hammer Strength Gripper and Kinney's Secret Weapon are both mechanically superior to the Gripanator as well as cheaper. You could probably get both for that price.

The Hammer Strength Gripper and Kinney's Secret Weapon are both mechanically superior to the Gripanator as well as cheaper. You could probably get both for that price.

I respectfully disagree with part of this statement, where it says; the Kinney Secret

Weapon is mechanically superior to the Gripanator.

BWAHHHHH HA HA :laugh Yer Killin' me man :laugh

I own both

To make an accurate statement, you would need to train on all three of those machines. Even then the results obtained might only apply to you.

zcor, consider the source of this comment.

John Wood is Kim Wood's son.

Kim Wood has claimed on this site to have been a co-founder of Hammer Strength, along with Gary Jones, who incidently is Arthur Jones's son.

This would indicate that Kim Wood may have a financial interest in the opperations of Hammer Strength, or at least did at one time. If Kim Wood or John Wood have any current financial interest in Hammer Strength, then it is fair to say that John Wood's praise of the Hammer Strength Grip machine is certainly a very self-serving statement.

Now, consider that the Gripanator is made by a company called Piedmont Design Associates (PDA), also known as Ironhorse. Several members have observed that John Wood has a particular disdain for this company. Why this is that case, I am not sure. But it is safe to say that anything John Wood says about PDA needs to be taken with a hugh grain of salt.

Taking the above factors into consideration, I would need to consider John Wood's recomendation on this matter, highly suspect.

Back to the original question, you may wish to ask Sybersnot about the newyorkbarbell grip machine he purchaced. I understand he picked up a clearance model and is working on welding extra plate holders onto it for an even heavier workout.

First, since I have in fact used all three machines I would probably be the only one who can give an accurate accounting.

Second, Dave Kline, obviously your pool of knowledge knows no depths. Just for future reference though, , how about if you do a little more research before opening your mouth, seeing as how neither me or my Dad has had any financial interest in Hammer Strength for over seven years now. I could really care less if anybody buys the HS gripper, and HS is not counting on the grip board one bit for sales. It is the best grip machine out there if used right, which was the reason for my answer in the first place, and you can take that anyway you want to.

Third, While PDA certainly does make good equipment, I base my statement not on personal opinion, but on the facts of the design and practice of said machine. When I say mechanically superior, it is because the strength curve on the gripinator is incorrect because the stroke is too short (at least for training for grippers which is the whole point) as well as a few other biomechanical design flaws.

As a result of this design flaw, in a theoretical situation where three identical people train on said machines with the exact same effort, diet etc, the gripinator chap would most finish a distant third as the percentage of the muscle fibers worked on a per set or per rep basis, would be less that with the other two machines.

Given this situation and the expectation to pay more for it, the choice is certainly yours to make.

Any more questions?

I like the old-fashioned guillotine type grip machine.

If you go for one, just make sure the range of motion is good,

is SOLIDLY built and does not "bind".

T!

I myself have used the Sorinex G-Rex grip machine. If I were to buy a machine that would be the one. Richard Sorin is after all the most famous name in grip.

I myself have used the Sorinex G-Rex grip machine. If I were to buy a machine that would be the one. Richard Sorin is after all the most famous name in grip.

When my garage is built in September, that will be the first item I put

in it.

T!

Old Guy, that sorinex looks darn sturdy! The hammer strength also looks good, if it wern't so darn big :tongue The money is in, I am the pround new owner of a sorinex grip machine! :yikes OH YEAH, AND THE BB SUPER ADVANCED/MASTER GRIPPERS

-dBAR

Third, While PDA certainly does make good equipment, I base my statement not on personal opinion, but on the facts of the design and practice of said machine. When I say mechanically superior, it is because the strength curve on the gripinator is incorrect because the stroke is too short (at least for training for grippers which is the whole point) as well as a few other biomechanical design flaws.

As a result of this design flaw, in a theoretical situation where three identical people train on said machines with the exact same effort, diet etc, the gripinator chap would most finish a distant third as the percentage of the muscle fibers worked on a per set or per rep basis, would be less that with the other two machines.

Given this situation and the expectation to pay more for it, the choice is certainly yours to make.

I am not quite understanding your reflection about the stroke being to short

on the Gripanator John. I am able to adjust the handle spread on the G from

the handles fully closed to around 3 3/4 inch handle width and any width

in between. I can set the handles to the width of any gripper that the market

may have.

I have never had the pleasure to use Hammer Strength equipment, but from

reviews I have read, it is rated excellent equipment. I believe this to be

true as well. I guess the NFL teams that use it can`t be wrong.................

Like I said I have a SW and a guillotine type plate loader made by Ironmind

(that is no longer available) all good equipment, I just feel the Gripanator is

more versatile to facilitate my needs.

Your opinion is appreciated on the machine aspects and it matters not to

me your personal indifference to PDA. I Just beg to differ my opinion thats all

When I was training grip......HEAVY holds on the HAMMER STRENGTH made every thing else 'seem' easy.My fingers just had to get stronger.

I would then follow the holds and use it for closes,feet not braced(as it was designed).I quickyl developed stronger hands and reached my gripper goal with very little gripper training.

I've never used the gripinator but the Sorinex and the HAMMER appear to offer good versatility and allow you to train both hands 'together

if in a hurry OR one hand at a time.

Other angles are available on both machines.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Although I have never used the Hammer Grip Machine, I have used plenty of other Hammer equipment and agree they generally make high quality equipment. Their seated calf machine is one of the best I have seen. We are also talking about club equipment so controling cost is viewed in vastly different terms.

I am sure the Hammer Machine is a good machine, and no doubt expensive.

Off-topic question, what ever happened to the Rotator cuff machine Hammer used to make?

Just an FYI, the last price list I saw, the HS gripper was listed at $250.

Live Strong!

-Roger

Where?

I'd be interested in one.

Live Strong!

-Roger

Where?

I'd be interested in one.

:cool Yeah.

yeah, I too assumed that the HS machine was expensive. The only thing I notice that is a MAJOR difference between the sorinex and Hs is the ability to do pinch grip on the sorinex.

Oh well, I'll probably end up buying all of the machines anyways :)

I think the gym bought there's for $275 or $295 about 8 years ago.I asked and they didn't remember exactly.

HAMMER STRENGTH prices haven't gone up much over the years.

THEY ARE VERY STURDY:Overloads and holds

There is a photo of a gentleman doing holds with this weight with a 102lb figure competitor seated on the stack.Beauty & the beast. ;)

Actually you can do pinch work on the HS gripper, in addition to negatives, holds, and several different kinds of thumb movements.

Actually you can do pinch work on the HS gripper, in addition to negatives, holds, and several different kinds of thumb movements.

yep.

standing,facing the machine and straddling the weight pin with thumbs 'under'the lower handle and then another angle with the thumbs 'over'the top handle gives you a heck of a workout.

Various finger tip work (similar to what steve McGranahan recommends doing with a Iron Mind) gripper can be done on the HAMMER.Very tough.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Live Strong!

-Roger

John, is this true? Is the price this cheap for one?