The 50lb Blob Falls To A Grip Punk

Bill Piche

Nice job.  We need to make a new standard now - like the Blob55 or Blob60!

:laugh No offense to you Maidenfan as I think it's a great idea to have a new challenge, but it sounds an awful lot like Ironmind thinking. As though too many people are lifting the blob today. Just struck me a funny, I'll chase a 60lber though. :happy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Lyle

• OldGuy

• Woodchuck

Bill , I saw the clamp "well the handles anyway" do you pinch that to 'til the handles touch?

I use it for negatives. I cheat it shut with the other hand, thumb on top, and then resist the opening.

Bill,

Great lift!

Have you weighed that blob? Is it over 50lbs?

T!

I weighed it with a bathroom scale yesterday. It registered 51lbs.

Bill,

I don't know what I liked most ... the inspirational and informative post or the video of you deadlifting the BLOB. That was awesome.

"If you are not at the front of the grip genetics line, my belief is you must SPECIALIZE (Nick McKinless has pointed this out several times in the past) to perform some of these feats."

I could not agree with this statment more. Two weeks ago I decided I was going to stop all other grip work (pinch) until I closed the #3. My crushing strength had gone down the tubes with all of the pinch work I was doing. Throw the powerball on top of that and it was awful. I was nowhere near my personal best at crush. I did the first week of KTA even though my crushing grip had severely declined. Instead of the 1 day off mentioned in the program, I took 3 days off at the end of week 1. When I attempted my #3 in the warmup last night going into week 2, I darn near closed the thing. I mean, I had to check to see if it was really not closed the handles were so close. Your message to "specialize" is so accurate for me. I think some guys can get away with doing it all, but for me, I've recently figured out that I will have to specialize to accomplish some of these feats of hand strength. Like you, when I'm working a lot of pinch grip, my crushing grip suffers.

Congrats to you on your new success and a very deserved "Thanks" to you for that enlightening post. You hit the nail on the head. :cool

great work man.

Although i'd hate to disagree with you on the hand size theory. Your thumb barely made it on the blob, i can't get my hand on a 35lb hex...i doubt the blob. My hands measure just under 7".

Now you can work on tossing the blob around and cleaning it :)

Remember, I said average size hands. A just under 7-incher is not what I would call average sized hand. :)

Bill,

Great lift!

Have you weighed that blob? Is it over 50lbs?

T!

I weighed it with a bathroom scale yesterday. It registered 51lbs.

Nice! I cant wait for the GordonV version. My biggest

is an old 80 York DB. The ends are 42LBS. But

my newer ones seem to be almost exactly half of the

stated DB weight.

T!

Bill,

Great job in getting the Blob. :rock Hard work does pay off.

Nice job Bill :rock . Great methods also! Mike

Nice job! With the help of Anson's Loan-A-Blob program maybe I'll be able to work up to it too. I know what you mean about specializing. That's what it took for me to close the #3 and pinch 2 45's.

Congrats Bill. Very interesting post. It seems that really talented individuals are generally less motivated than the less genetically gifted (obvious perhaps).

Well done! I hope to follow in your footsteps, as soon as the replicas are done casting.

Congrats Bill. Very interesting post. It seems that really talented individuals are generally less motivated than the less genetically gifted (obvious perhaps).

Not necessarily. But, that can be the case. Someone with less talent can be a harder worker and maybe pass someone more talented.

Hmm, you mean that those that are less talented and STILL get to very high levels and report things on a place like the gripboard are more motivated?

Hmm yes that seems like a very obvious fact.

The 99.999% that are less talented and less motivated don't even try and won't show here.

Even with the talented most aren't motivated enough to work for it. But I would have to say that it is much more common to be motivated to work on ones strengths.

So for a general populance the opposite of what you write is true (in any area of interest)

Congrats Bill ! That's a real good pinch grip feat !

The only interesting thing about being a grip punk is you really get to know for sure what is WC and what is not ;)

Keep going Mr Adminstrator :rock

Congrats Bill!

You musta ate your Wheaties that day....scratch that, Iowa is Corn Flakes country :D

Seriously, hell of a job!

wow I missed this, I guess I cant use the small hands excuse anymore for the blob. Congrats buddy!