My Gripper Log..

ishred

Figure i'd start a log to keep me motivated.

I am currently trying to close the #2. I have the Trainer-4 to work with. I don't really do any other grip work because if i drop stuff, i'll have some angry neighbors.

Btw...my hands are just under 7"....I think i could be close to closing a 3 by now if my hands were an inch bigger or so.

Todays workout is being posted as i go along

Trainer x 5 (both hands)

#1 x 5 (both hands)

#2 WOOHOO just closed it with the right....the left was about a 1/4" away (held it for a few seconds at the distance)

#3 attempts...right just about parallel....left was about the same.

#4 attempts...right budged more than normal....left budged more than normal..some pain in left hand.

#2 again...right 1/8" away, held till it opened more...left bout 3/4" held till it opened more.

ok, great opening training day for the log. achieved my first goal ...well halfway anway. now for some dexterity ball work.

Ishred, good job again on the #2 close. You do have small hands, but I don't think hand size when using a set has any bearing on ability with the grippers. Now if we're talking a no set close, then of course hand size is a big factor. But with a set-the sky's the limit-as long as your strength is comparable.

Another thing you might consider is contacting Warren Tetting and getting a gripper fit to your hand size. You can also certify on a narrow Super Master that would be narrowed to fit your hand. As far as I know that list is still pretty short for the time being. Might be nice to be one of the first on the list...just an idea. :D

thx ben. When I set the grippers, i close it about and 1/8th of an inch too small for a credit card to fit through.

Who makes the super master? where can i get one?

Warren Tetting makes the Super Master. I would recommend calling him directly at 1-651-222-1889. He is an extremely knowledgeable and nice guy. If you tell him you're interested in certifying with his Super Master, just let him know your exact hand length. Measure with a cloth tape. He will make one to your exact specs. Very good quality grippers as well. And very reasonable price.

Tetting told me that he thinks that training with the Table No Set method is the best way to go with the grippers. You can't close quite as heavy grippers this way, but I believe it might build more "usable" strength in the hands than set closes. He's also of the opinion that the no set closes build much higher ring and pinky strength than the set close method.

If you're interested in learning more about the no set versus set debate, you might want to check out some of John Wood's posts as I believe he's a huge proponent of no set closes. And even the name is somewhat of a misnomer, because they're being "set" but with only one hand. Clear as mud? :) Hope it helps. And let us know if you get a new gripper.

todays workout...

trainer 5 reps each hand...

can't find my #1

trainer 5 reps each hand

#2 right hand..2 reps

left hand 1/16th" away

hands feel funny...will rest a couple days.

well, i've decided to put gripping and bending on hold to concentrate on my strongman training. Today was my first day back in the gym after a 3 month layoff.

The events that i'm training for are:

Farmers walk/chain drag medley

Viking Press

SuperYoke

Cardeadlift

I'm gonna be in the gym twice a week and once a week training on the implements (hopefully). Todays work out were exercises that simulated, or helped supporting muscles for the events.

At the suggestion of Rick Walker, I did Suitcase deadlifts to strengthen my core for the superyoke and to build up some hand strength for farmers.

Worked up to 155lbs. My left hand is much weaker. Barely hung onto the weight. Did 5 reps each hand at that weight.

Trapbar deadlifts...worked up to 340lbs (not including the bar) for 2 reps.

Standing overhead press...worked up to 185lbs for 4 reps...minimal leg drive.

today's workout...

First time squatting in months..wanted to keep it light so i can walk tomorrow.

squats

3 x 10 135lbs rock bottom

Clean and press

135 x 3

155 x 1

165 x 1

185 x 1

Gotta work on my form...it just kinda used brute force to clean the bar.

Then i was kinda unsure what to do...so i did box squats

135 x 10

225 x 10

275 x 10

Next time i'll go heavier on both squats.

todays workout...

suitcase dl's.... 135 x 10 each hand

155 x 6 each hand

185 x 1 each hand (with straps)

Sigh....my hand size sucks...all you guys think small hands should not hinder progress so much...but my hands are really small.

overhead press in cage with pins set at chin height, seated, no back support.

95 x 10

135 x 10

155 x 5

185 no go

trap bar dl weights do not include bar weight

90 x 10

180 x 10

270 x 6

330 x 1

330 x 1

350 x 1

370 x 1

Gonna find out on saturday how well i do on the implements. If it doesn't go good i'm not entering the contest.

If my friend pete enters the contest i'm screwed....when i struggled with my 370 trapbar..he came over and just lifted it like it was nothing. I know there will be some strong guys there...but i don't want to see my competition before the show ;) hopefully the middleweight class cuts off at 230.

todays workout....if anyone cares

clean and press...

decided to work on my form a little...i watched jedd's technique a few times and tried to mimic that.

3 singles 135

2 singles 155

2 singles 175

185 attempt...no good

5 reps 155 (put bar down and reset my grip and positioning...no rest)

5 reps 135 (ditto)

2 reps 155

1 rep 175

185 attempt..much closer to cleaning it than the first time

edit to last weeks workout...i did not do 185 on the clean and press. stayed at 165.

then i was gonna do some squats...

started with 135 to warm up...but i wasn't feeling it. I felt shitty for some reason. so instead of risking injury, i just left.

Overall, i'm happy with clean and press. I still need to see the right technique...unless jedd's is perfect.

If you wan't to learn how to C&J "correctly" find an Olympic lifter/coach. I do strongman as well and I just do what works. I do sets of light weight to find some kind of groove and train relatively heavy to increase the poundages (on two different days). Good luck!

yesterdays training...

did some strong man...

yoke..500lbs for 25 feet...

farmers...190 per hand for about 35 feet

conan's wheel...about 550 for one lap

attempted a 230 stone..didn't workout

did some tire's...450lb tire 5 flips

630lb tire...couldn't do it..need to work on my form.

overall had a great time..met some cool people and lifted heavy stuff. Not too sore either..just my forearms and biceps.

todays workout...

OHP

strict

95 x 10

135 x 10

some leg drive

185 x 6

more leg drive

205 x 5

Side bends 4 sets...up to 80lb dumbbell.

back extensions 4 sets, 10 reps...35lb plate

2 hand tricep extensions

45 x 10

65 x 10

80 x 6

95 x 4

not a bad day. wanted to get some presses in and some core work.

todays strongman training...

lower back felt funny this morning..wasn't too sure how the day would pan out.

Super yoke...warmed up with 190, 240, 290, 390.

Did a run of about 50' with 490

Attempted 580....after several times trying to get it off the floor, i finally moved it a few feet then crashed.

This was the beginning of my hard time lifting stuff.

Farmers walk...Last week i though i did 190 for 50'...turns out it was 170. oh well

Today..did 75' with 150...

then attempted 200lbs...couldn't even pull it off the ground. so ben comes over with another guy and says that they are going to lift, i'm going to walk with it. I'm thinking "great, i can't lift it myself, how the hell am i going to walk with it"

So after they lift and let go, i start walking. Made it about 25' before legs started wobbling out of control. Rested a couple minutes and tried again. this time i walked em about 50'. felt pretty good holding 200lbs in each hand.

Did some sled pull...went 60' twice, no rest with 350lbs.

on to viking press. started out with 75 then 120x5, 145x5, 170x3, 220x2, 195x4.

went better than i thought, still got a long ways to 275 for the contest.

after all this i was pretty beat, but decided to see if i could pull the stone that i failed at last week. Tried twice, couldn't really budge it...then ben was giving pointers to Lou (16yr old kid...strong for a little guy)...he didn't pull the stone, but i figured i do it the way ben said to. So I give it a shot....almost lapped it...just a few inches. I did the same thing 2 more times. Next week that stone is going up.

todays workout....

well, i've decided not to enter the strongman contest on september 18th due to me not having enough strength to finish the events. I don't care much about where i place, i just want to be able to complete each event.

So i am gonna hit the weights for a few months until i feel i'm ready to enter the comp.

Did chest and tri's today...

bench press

135 x 10

135 x 10

205 x 8

225 x 5

Incline db press

70 x 10

80 x 4.....started to feel tendonitis bad in my left on and pressing felt funny..so i stopped.

On to the triceps.

Pushdowns (on cable crossover machine)

100 x 10

130 x 10

150 x 10

175 x 7

200 x 5

triceps were pretty fried since i haven't worked them in a while

went to do some plate pinchs for fun...haven't done any in a few months.

did 3 10's both hands..

then tried 2 25's...3 months ago i couldn't do it..today i pulled it easy with both hands. so my grip training, although limited..is paying off.

Couldn't do 2 35's though.

:stuart Did some griper work yesterday.

5 reps each hand with the #1

(should've warmed up)

went for the #2

did 2 singles with the right...the left still isn't close

5 more reps on #1 each hand

then straight to 15 reps on trainer each hand.

Was gonna hit the gym, but i got an email from the Barbarians strongman comp that the weights were lowerd a bit for my weightclass. Apparently the weights were a bit much for the sub 231lbers....so the viking press drop 40lbs, super yoke drops 50lbs, and unfortuneately for me the farmers stays the same at 260lbs per hand. So now I am reconsidering doing this contest since this revalation.

I'd love to do the GGC, but you guys are just animals and maybe some of you would have been at my strongman comp....so better for me that you beasts will be busy that day :stuart

7/22

Did some block weights and plate pinching today.

Everything was done without rest

25lb block full deadlift both hands

Passed 25lb block back and forth holding for 2 seconds in each hand 20 times

3 10's pinch, both hands 5 times

added 3lbs to 25lb block, passed back and forth 10 times for 2 seconds

3 10's pinch, passed back and forth holding for 5 seconds each hand...10 times each hand.

Then finished with some shot rotations untill I cramped.

7/23

Back and biceps

Deadlifts (haven't Dl'ed in a while, aside from the trapbar dl's)

135 x 10

225 x 10

315....1 rep(overhand grip), set down weight used mixed grip did 2 reps, set it down, used straps, did 2 more reps. last rep was rough. Had to switch to mix and use straps because I had to concentrate on my grip to much instead of focusing on the lifts. 5 reps total.

Bentover rows.

135 x 10

135 x 10

135 x 10

Back extension

10 reps with 45lb plate

15 reps no weight

10 reps with 25lb, dropped plate and did 5 reps

Dumbbell curls

20 x 10

30 x 10

40 x 6

Preacher curl (machine)

40 x 10

70 x 10

90 x 7

110 x 5

Thats it for today. went better than i thought...i think.

good job on the training so far dude keep it up, congrats on your #2 :). ill be posting my #2 close within the next few weeks hopefully, then ill be off down the long winding road that is #3. :fear

just realized i was writing July instead of august in my previous posts....oopss

8/25

chest and triceps

DB press

40 x 12

60 x 10

80 x 10

90 x 3(ehhhh)

Incline DB press

80 x 10

85 x 8

Incline flyes

27.5 x 15

45 x 12

45 x 10

Tricep extensions

100 x 10

150 x 10

200 x 10

225 x 8

250 x 6

Two hand dumbbell extension

65 x 10

75 x 10

85 x 8

Tried to do some plate pinching...not sure whats wrong, did 2 25's easy last time both hands....couldn't break it off the floor today...wierd.

its annoying when you have off days, some times you will do a weight then go to do it the next time and its somehow got heavier :whacked

8/27

Leg day

squats

135 x 10

185 x 10

225 x 8

felt funny....felt like i kept leaning foward so i dropped the weight

135 x 10

still felt like i was leaning foward, asked a powerlifting dude to evaluate my form. As soon as i set the bar on my shoulders he said he saw my problem. I set the bar on the top of my shoulders, he said it was too high and put the bar lower, so i did. It felt a little funny, akward for my arms holding the bar that way, but when i squated i was able to go lower and keep straight. so i did some more sets

135 x 10

135 x 10

135 x 7

Stiff legged DL

135 x10

135 x 10

was feeling tired, decided to do calves and leave

Seated calf raise

90 x 10

180 x 10

270 x 10

360 x 10

Donkey calf raise

Rack x 10 (not sure the weight either 160 or 320)

rack +180 x 10

rack +270 x 10

rack +360 x 10

i had the same problem when i first started squatting, but holding the bar a bit further down put me right aswell

8/29

light gripper work

trainer x 5 reps each hand

#1 x 5 reps each hand

#1 x 5 reps each hand

#1 x 5 reps each hand...hold last rep for 10 seconds

#1 x 5 reps each hand...hold last rep for 10 seconds